Disney Dining Stinks!!!!

Can anyone tell me if the Premium or Platinum plans are worth the extra expense? Planning a trip w/ wife and twin 7 y/o girls for 11/25- 12/01 ( week after Thanksgiving. Happy to spend the extra if it will improve the experience.

Can anyone tell me if the Premium or Platinum plans are worth the extra expense? Planning a trip w/ wife and twin 7 y/o girls for 11/25- 12/01 ( week after Thanksgiving. Happy to spend the extra if it will improve the experience.

My wife and I went on the Platinum plan in 2001 without the kids we short booked and got all the TS we wanted (Not sure but I think Platinum gets priority) we had Lobster with every meal, every breakfast was a character breakfast it was great:cool1: if you can afford it go for it!!!!!:thumbsup2

avagrace...no experience w/plat or prem plans.....

Just had to comment on your "name"....I have an Ava Grace, she will turn 1 this month:) Just wondering are those the names of your girls? :)

Have a great trip!! You will definately get answers and/or opinions here!:)
Welcome to the DisBoards!

I am not sure what the dining plan had to do with your problems. You failed to plan and therefore planned to fail. It doesn't seem like it was a lack of knowledge on your part that you should make ADRs. You just chose not to. Had you been on the dining plan or not, you would have still faced the same issues without reservations.

I don't think anyone can deny that the lack of ADR's is a direct result of the Dining Plan. Look how many people proudly boast that they used to eat Ramen and crackers in the room and CS only because they were "too cheap" to book TS. I don't love or hate the plan, and in fact I've never used it- but will this year. But the only ones that seem to *love* it are the ones that have changed their vacationing style drastically just because they could get something free or cheap. If you're used to normally having TS, and all of a sudden can't get ADR's you had no problem with in the past, it's frustrating.

Disney likes full restaurants. Disney has "bean counters" looking to increase profits. I suspect if Disney hadn't come up with the DDP they would have come up with some other promotion to fill the restaurants.

I don't think the dining plan is cheap. I wind up paying more for tickets and may even pay extra for my room. DDP guests pre-pay for their meals and commit to having most of the meals at Disney. I'd expect at least a 20% discount (same as DDE) in exchange for that.

When I'm on the DDP I don't have meals in non-Disney restaurants. That means I may skip a meal at Bongos. I won't have a late breakfast at Fresh. I'm less likely to buy a case of bottled water.

The DDP is reasonable but Ramen and crackers in the room is still cheaper. You may have a point if you're limiting your comments to free dining.

Many of us just find DDP means we're eating 100% of our meals on-site and maybe have an extra TS meal.

I don't think anyone can deny that the lack of ADR's is a direct result of the Dining Plan. Look how many people proudly boast that they used to eat Ramen and crackers in the room and CS only because they were "too cheap" to book TS. I don't love or hate the plan, and in fact I've never used it- but will this year. But the only ones that seem to *love* it are the ones that have changed their vacationing style drastically just because they could get something free or cheap. If you're used to normally having TS, and all of a sudden can't get ADR's you had no problem with in the past, it's frustrating.

We saw DDP as a benefit. We prefer atleast one TS per day. We used CS for breakfast and used TS credits for dinner and did oop for lunch sometimes at TS. So I don't know if we fall under the closet Ramen eaters. But we saw a value in the package since we were already going to dine exclusively at the parks. I did call for ressies at 180 and had no problem getting any of the times or restaurants we wanted. I just followed the recommendations for other DISsers. I'm sure it's frustrating to many repeaters but for us random guests it was awesome.

We LOVE DDP and I don't believe its new! I used it in 2001 maybe thats new to some & We have not drastically changed our vacationing style except maybe we can go 9 days instead of 6 because of the free DDP we've always (we we could afford to had some lean years) eaten TS and some CS and always have at least 1 Character meals and like some of the others have said We have had no prob getting ADR'S!!:banana: Oh well mickeyluver37 have an awesome DDP trip this year and hopefully Disney will continue to give it away:thumbsup2

Disney likes full restaurants. Disney has "bean counters" looking to increase profits. I suspect if Disney hadn't come up with the DDP they would have come up with some other promotion to fill the restaurants.

I don't think the dining plan is cheap. I wind up paying more for tickets and may even pay extra for my room. DDP guests pre-pay for their meals and commit to having most of the meals at Disney. I'd expect at least a 20% discount (same as DDE) in exchange for that.

When I'm on the DDP I don't have meals in non-Disney restaurants. That means I may skip a meal at Bongos. I won't have a late breakfast at Fresh. I'm less likely to buy a case of bottled water.

The DDP is reasonable but Ramen and crackers in the room is still cheaper. You may have a point if you're limiting your comments to free dining.

Many of us just find DDP means we're eating 100% of our meals on-site and maybe have an extra TS meal.

Exactly right! It is not cheap and is not appropriate for everyone. My DH says that Disney has devised the perfect way to capture their guests and keep them on their property, spending all of their vacation dollars on Disney products and services. I think he is right.

I know that it is easy to blame the DDP for any changes and for all inconveniences that long time guests see, but I think that if it was not the DDP, another marketing product would be offered to increase volume in restaurants and resorts. This one is a little "devious" because everything is paid for up front, so ordering wine with dinner, spending more in order to have a signature meal or two does not seem to be out of budget, and increases revenue. I think that the "bean counters" know how much this combination of DDP and ME makes and they do a jig to the stockholders meetings.

The worst part of it is that I love every minute of it and GLADLY give disney as much money as i can....I think the dining plan makes it easier in me one less thing to worry about.;) I go to disney carefree escaping the real world knowing that EVERYTHING including my food is taken care of no matter what im in the mood for. Its almost magical the way they take care of it all like a vacation spot or something....LOL

We LOVE DDP and I don't believe its new! I used it in 2001 maybe thats new to some & We have not drastically changed our vacationing style except maybe we can go 9 days instead of 6 because of the free DDP we've always (we we could afford to had some lean years) eaten TS and some CS and always have at least 1 Character meals and like some of the others have said We have had no prob getting ADR'S!!:banana: Oh well mickeyluver37 have an awesome DDP trip this year and hopefully Disney will continue to give it away:thumbsup2

From what I remember, this version has only been around since 2005. It wasn't available when we first booked our 2005 trip, but was in effect by the time we got there. I had already purchased the AP to get the room discount and we did DDE instead. It wasn't nearly as popular though- we didn't have trouble making ADR's, some even last minute!

From what I remember, this version has only been around since 2005. It wasn't available when we first booked our 2005 trip, but was in effect by the time we got there. I had already purchased the AP to get the room discount and we did DDE instead. It wasn't nearly as popular though- we didn't have trouble making ADR's, some even last minute!

I see so what we used in 2001 was DDE not DDP I get it now:cool1: I agree it was easier to make last minute changes back then. Last year we only tried to make one change and since there were 2 sets of 5 people (or a party of 10 at every restaurant) it did not work out however we did get every ADR we wanted but 1 and that was Le Celier:confused3

Exactly right! It is not cheap and is not appropriate for everyone. My DH says that Disney has devised the perfect way to capture their guests and keep them on their property, spending all of their vacation dollars on Disney products and services. I think he is right.

I know that it is easy to blame the DDP for any changes and for all inconveniences that long time guests see, but I think that if it was not the DDP, another marketing product would be offered to increase volume in restaurants and resorts. This one is a little "devious" because everything is paid for up front, so ordering wine with dinner, spending more in order to have a signature meal or two does not seem to be out of budget, and increases revenue. I think that the "bean counters" know how much this combination of DDP and ME makes and they do a jig to the stockholders meetings.

They already had us at the ME! We drove/rented cars in the past and *did* venture offsite, even if only for a day.

I don't think the Dining Plan will go anywhere unless Disney actually starts losing money, therefore they really need a few more restaurants to handle the volume.

Or if they raise the price..? I think the idea that the gratuity was included in the plan was a major part of decision to try it this year...and we loved it. I'm not quite so sure we'd choose it again if we had to add the gratuity. The convenience factor played a big role in our choice. Not having to carry extra cash or figure out the gratuity was a pleasure. I think there are times when the plan isn't for everyone..particuarly if your kids are being charged the adult rates..but still eat like kids..then maybe it's not as great a value either. In our case our youngest is almost 16...and we thought it was a great value for our family.

In any event, as many have stated whether you use the DDP or not, it has effected the Disney vacation. ADR's are the best way to be sure you are going to have that table service meal, and not waste your credits..or if you aren't on the plan..you still know that you have a nice sit down dinner to look forward to..without having to beg, and plead your way into a restaurant.
ADR's during the free dining promo's are a must in my opinion. Sure you can take the chance..and maybe there will be a place you can get into with one, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

Can someone tell me if the DDP folks get first choice of ADR's? I'm curious, because we're considering not doing the plan next visit.

:)

Can someone tell me if the DDP folks get first choice of ADR's? I'm curious, because we're considering not doing the plan next visit.

:)

I don't believe so, when you call, regardless of if you have DDP or not, they tell you what is available at that particular restaurant.

No, nobody gets first choice of reservations based on anything - except when we call for them. A Guest calling 180 days in advance gets first choice over someone calling 90 days or three days or two hours in advance, but no dining plan gives any Guest that priority.

Thanks guys. I know when I've made the 2 ADR's :laughing: in my lifetime, they asked if I was on Disney Dining. I'm probably going to make a couple more this trip because I actually have a "touring plan." :)

To the OP... I hate to say this, but its your fault for the problems. You knew of ADRs, and you knew how to make them, but YOU chose not to... This is your problem, not disneys, not anyone else, your problem. Had you not been on the DDP, you would still have had the same problem, but the fact that YOU choose not to made ADRs, YOU decided your own fate to risk it, and you paid for it. Had you not come in here and blamed others, i would have felt sorry for you, but honestly, now after reading your post, i soley blame you and your ignorance

i totally agree with this post 110%. you did choose your own fate by not making ADR's. part of the fun in disney is eating at the themed resturants. no one wants to eat chicken fingers, hamburgers etc for the duration of your trip. we have used the dining plan 2 times before and are going to use it when we go down next time and it has saved my family and i tons and tons of hassle and money.

You are correct because in the past we have used the Cast Members from the Atrium Club floor of the Contemporary to get us last minute ADR's at Chef Mickey's, Ohana and Boma, which are three restaurants that I consider to be very popular in WDW.
Unfortunatly, not everyone stays at a concierge level. Your parents are paying dearly for that kind of service. For the rest of us, we really do need to sit down and figure out what is going to work best for our own family.
So...we own DVC, have APs. No way am I going to take advantage of free dining. If I have to pay for a room, and at least a one day park pass, it's not free for me.
So....since I have the AP, I bought the DDE card. Now, DVC allows it's member staying on points to buy the DDP. I sit down with menus and figure how much I would spend doing it each way. It comes out pretty close, based on my family's eating habits. If the dining plan changes though, in any way, I don't think we would buy it again. It's already about $30 more than using our DDE card but the convenience of it is worth that small amount. But, if they do away with the gratuity or raise the price, it just won't be worth it.

So...do you have to make those ADRs? Only if you have places your really want to eat at. The more popular spots book up very early, always have. The advent of the DDP hasn't helped that at all. Being able to try walking up for a seat is harder and harder. Yes, there are still some spots you can do this in, and more spots if you choose really off times to eat. I realize it's hard to think about where you are going to want to eat 5-6 months before your trip, but at least you'll have a nice restaurant to eat at once a day. If you choose not to do that spot, then just give guest services a call, or stop in, and cancel the ADR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter