Disney Dining Plan - Yes or No

First timers...leaning toward no DP. Some say that if plan midday rest, swim break, etc, that DP can be avoided and $ saved.

We skip the DDP, too. Tried it twice, didn't like it at all. We just get the dining discount card that's available to annual pass holders-20% off meals.

Someone mentioned if stay on disney property and plan on taking midday break, rest, swim, etc. that perhaps DP is not best option

Agree?
No, not at all. It works really well.

Our day on DDP works like this.

Up by 7am

Finish breakfast (pay out of pocket) by 8:00am (We never book TS breakfasts - not worth it for us)

On a bus to the parks by 8:15am

Do rides and stuff until 11:00-11:30 am - then, eat lunch (CS or TS - whatever was planned for that day)

By 1:00pm, head back to the resort for a rest or swim.

Go back to the park at 4pm - eat dinner there (CS or TS - whatever was planned for that day)

By no later than 6-6:30pm, you'll be free to go back on the rides.

Here's the beauty of this. You eat BEFORE the lunch rush, and just as the lines are getting busy in the morning. You then leave in the early afternoon when lines are at their worst.

You come back at about 4pm, just when things are starting to slow down - BUT, since you had an early lunch, now have an early dinner. You then finish dinner BEFORE the usual dinner rush at 6pm - and right at that moment, as everyone is trying to eat - the lines suddenly get shorter again - just as you are ready to go back out there.

This is simply rule #1 of being at Disney and not going insane - be where everyone else isn't.

The final advantage to this - for any of the Table Service meals, if it's a popular restaurant and you are trying to get a reservation - you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to get a lunch reservation at 11:00 or 11:30 am as opposed to noon. And for dinner - it's also WAY easier to get a 4:30pm reservation than one at 6:00pm or 6:30pm.

Hmmmm...this is my question...

Why do people associate DDP with ADRs?

You can use DDP without ADRs. Is it that you do not want to eat at any TS places?

I visited during free dining last summer and walked up to many TS places...slight wait...but was seated in reasonable time.

I don't understand the ADR frenzy!!! ADRs are being pushed by Disney...but you do not have to buy into it. Go, relax ,eat, enjoy!

If you want to eat at a particular restaurant during your trip I would recommend an ADR. While you can certainly walk up and get in,at times, we once had an ADR around noon at Sci Fi Dine In and saw people turned away because there were no available tables until 9:30 PM! H&V also always has a wait even with an ADR. I would think that free dining time is less crowded than earlier in the summer(hence the free dining incentive) so it might be a little easier than the busier times. Even several years ago (before DDP) we were disappointed when we tried to get a breakfast time reserved at our resort.

Hmmmm...this is my question...

Why do people associate DDP with ADRs?

You can use DDP without ADRs. Is it that you do not want to eat at any TS places?

I visited during free dining last summer and walked up to many TS places...slight wait...but was seated in reasonable time.

I don't understand the ADR frenzy!!! ADRs are being pushed by Disney...but you do not have to buy into it. Go, relax ,eat, enjoy!

My reasoning is this- I'd be really ticked if I paid for the DDP and then tried to get into the TS restaurants I wanted and was told they were booked.

What if I went during a busy time and couldn't get into any of the park TS places for days on end? I'd be out all that $$ spent on the DP.

I'm sure, if you go to the parks during value season, eat at off times, go to less popular places, or are willing to go wherever you can find a restaurant with an opening for you, the DDP without ADRs might be possible. But a vast majority aren't willing to chance it like that. Eating OOP, sure- if I can't get into a TS that day, no problem. I'll just head for the nearest CS. But if I had paid for a TS, and didn't get to use those credtis (and had to spend extra $$ OOP for more CS meals), I'd be quite upset.

I love the DP, it is a good value IMO. But for your situation, if you like CS food, you should stick with that and not be tied down to ressies.

I have debated back and forth for months, finally decided to add DDP to our upcoming trip. Did not get free dining because my room discount saved us more.
In past trips, We eat at TS restaurants every night, I did the calcualtions and will save around 28% VS OOP costs. **But that is with dessert which we would not normally order each day. Without it, will still save around 15-20%... since my DD is still 9 we are saving. Next year maybe not- but it is nice that it will be paid for prior to trip and can order anyhting off menu (excluding appetizers which I would trade in a minute for desserts!)
Have all my ADRs booked already, but I had made those even before I changed to the dining plan due to the free dining promo same timeframe.
*This is the first time trying DDP- I think we will love it!

I am currently debating doing the DDP. By adding it we'll be able to eat more TS than usual however it also forces us if that makes any sense.

We've done DDP 3x's-each time it's gotten more restrictive, but it still works for us MAINLY because we are bad budgeters and would spend all of our food money within the first two days of our trip then be SCREWED! We love eating at places we normally wouldn't be able to afford to (LOVE Cali Grill!). I also love planning so I planned my meals, added the price if not on the DDP and we basically would've come out even, except for the desserts would be a bonus! SO it's more of a pre-payment plan, but it's convenient for us. I LOVE to plan where we're eating, it makes it more stress free for us to know ahead of time where we are eating so there's no argument. And like a OP said, everyone can eat what they want without me worrying about pinching pennies and making everyone drink water. I love it and we'll do it again as long as it doens't get MUCH more restrictIve or expensive!!

We are doing the DDP this time. We didn't do it in April and regret it as within the first 3 days spent over $300.00 on food. Granted that did include a meal at Narcoossee's for Dh's 40th birthday. Still, someone posted a spreadsheet to calculate meal costs. We've got 6 days worth of DDP and for the 6 TS meals and 2 CS that we've calculated thus far, for the 3 of us we're already saving over $100.

The DDP for the 3 of us costs $515(ish). Well worth it. We are driving and will have a small cooler with us so if need be we can use desserts as snacks and save snack credits for goodies to eat on the drive home. At least that's what I plan on doing with my snack credits. DH & DS can do what they want with theirs.

I don't enjoy doing CS meals the entire trip. There are too many good TS restaurants at Disney not to eat well. IMO. So for now the DDP is going to work in our favor.

We have done the DP in the past and loved it. Also I do want do comment on why the ADR's. I know Disney is pushing them but without them I wouldn't get to eat at my favorite TS's. I am going during the free dining period and still couldn't get 3 ADR's I wanted. I had to change the times around and have lunch instead of a dinner or breakfast but it all worked out. It is just a piece of mind knowing I have those ADR's. On our last trip several time I heard people getting turned away with the option to come back around 9:30pm for dinner. Also I am not so sure the crowds are down all that much during the free time cause I ask about the week we are going (1st week of Sept) and was told last year it was very busy. Oh well. Still going to Disney so YEAH!

And we don't feel having ADR's to be any problem. But, it is all a matter of personal preference. Being on vacation to me is also about taking advantage of wonderful, delicious meals that the beautiful Disney restaurants have to offer. The "dining" experience is such a pleasure to me!

The Dining Plan always pays for itself & more !! So we benefit by dining at places we normally wouldn't try.

Just enjoy for Magical Trip !!princess: :wizard: pirate:

I vote no for the DDP.

We did both the DDP and OOP, and we much preferred the freedom of paying OOP.

I always hear "If you want to eat TS you need ADR's regardless of how you're paying".

Sure that's 100% true. The ADR's have nothing to do with DDP or OOP. However if you're paying OOP and you don't want to make an ADR for any reason. You just call and cancel. Easy peazy with no worries about when to reschedule this prepaid TS meal.

We personally saved $500+ not doing the DDP. (5-Adults 1-Child 1-Infant - 7 nights - March 2008).

While saving I LOVED feeling free to make my own call at the last minute. I had the safety net of an ADR every night we were there, but if we wanted to do something else - we did. If one person wasn't feeling well or wasn't hungry - who cares?

Personally, unless we saved a lot of money by doing the DDP, I wouldn't do it again.

first timer going to wdw. I was thinking of doing the DDP for me, DF and DD(9)
per day $85.97
9 nights $773.73 not including tips

-using the DDP i would eat at the better resturants and more expensive plates and a few character meals. Normally I'd never pay 20.00 for a basic buffet just to see character but it will maxize it on the plan. Plus i like the fact i can charge it on my Disney visa along with the package and have 6 months 0% to pay it off.

Doing the OOP:
I'm hoping to cut my cost in half to $386.86. Most of it will be counter services so that will save me on tips. Plus we will use whatever I earn on disney rewards for snacks (so far 39.00) plus i will save up for more snacks.
Do you think its possible if we eat at

-flametree (2 different days during trip) 2 Rib dinners, dd can get a kids meal
-pecos Bills (2 different days during trip)2 cheese burger meals and kids meal
-Comic Rays (2 different days during trip)( share the chicken/rib combo)
-Pop Breakfast ( simple breakfast 4-5 days per trip)
-Seasons porkchop meal , tai meal, kids meal
-Sandwich of Earl 2 sandwiches and one kid meal
- 2 indiv pizzas and petri fries
so we will do simple lunches/dinners

early in the trip we plan on trying whispering canyon all u can eat skillet
and kona cafe breakfast tonga toast and big ohana. If we like it we might eat there and xtra time.

Being a 1st timer and not knowing my way around with the bus system I feel i might lose lots of time trying to get to the resorts for dinner, breakfast. Hoping someone will do a wdw food on a budeget with photos

dying to see pork chop meal from the seasons(cant remember the entire name but its in epocot) place

first timer going to wdw. I was thinking of doing the DDP for me, DF and DD(9)
per day $85.97
9 nights $773.73 not including tips

-using the DDP i would eat at the better resturants and more expensive plates and a few character meals. Normally I'd never pay 20.00 for a basic buffet just to see character but it will maxize it on the plan. Plus i like the fact i can charge it on my Disney visa along with the package and have 6 months 0% to pay it off.

Doing the OOP:
I'm hoping to cut my cost in half to $386.86. Most of it will be counter services so that will save me on tips. Plus we will use whatever I earn on disney rewards for snacks (so far 39.00) plus i will save up for more snacks.
Do you think its possible if we eat at

-flametree (2 different days during trip) 2 Rib dinners, dd can get a kids meal
-pecos Bills (2 different days during trip)2 cheese burger meals and kids meal
-Comic Rays (2 different days during trip)( share the chicken/rib combo)
-Pop Breakfast ( simple breakfast 4-5 days per trip)
-Seasons porkchop meal , tai meal, kids meal
-Sandwich of Earl 2 sandwiches and one kid meal
- 2 indiv pizzas and petri fries
so we will do simple lunches/dinners

early in the trip we plan on trying whispering canyon all u can eat skillet
and kona cafe breakfast tonga toast and big ohana. If we like it we might eat there and xtra time.

Being a 1st timer and not knowing my way around with the bus system I feel i might lose lots of time trying to get to the resorts for dinner, breakfast. Hoping someone will do a wdw food on a budeget with photos

dying to see pork chop meal from the seasons(cant remember the entire name but its in epocot) place

While I think there's a happy medium between paying for the DDP for nearly $800 and eating all CS meals for $400, I don't think 3 people can eat on $50 per day. When my husband and I have been at WDW without our kids, our CS meals cost us ~$25. Breakfast at our resort food court was $15 each day. I think that if you eat CS every day for every meal and always order the cheapest thing on the menu, you will be sick to death of cheeseburgers and fries halfway through your trip.

Going to resorts for meals can be done easily using Disney transportation, but you have to be willing to wait. You will eat up park time doing so, no doubt, but over 9 days you should have enough time to see most everything you want to anyway.

If you want to keep your costs down, I'd recommend bringing breakfast foods in your suitcase so you can eat in your room. Or, you can place an order with one of the online grocers and have it delivered to your resort (gardengrocer.com, wegoshop.com are 2 widely used here on the DIS) and even get some bread and lunchmeat to make sandwiches for a meal here and there.

Oh, and I've had that pork chop at Sunshine Seasons and it's quite good! :goodvibes

I just sat down and made my list. I addes up everything total was 611.87 with tax and tips included.

I also included breakfast at
wc and Kona cafe
Dinner at
wc and planet Hollywood(i might change this one)

Most of the counter services i tried to choose a variety
burgers, chicken and ribs(df loves ribs), sanwiches,pizza, pasta plus a few desserts.

i think the dining plan was coming out to 773.73 not including tips which would be alot because we would pick higher prices food and other resorts.

Maybe if theres a good package deal with dining i might go for it. Being a 1st timer i just dont know what to expect.

For everyone who plans their ADRs, do you plan your park visits for each day?
YES..........and NO.....................and YES.

1)The first thing I do is make our ADR reservations. The only one that is a must is the day that DHS has late hours and I want an early dinner ADR in that park so we can see Fantasmic and stay late.
All are dinner except for the day we fly home and that is always an early breakfast ressie at CP.

2) Then I print out the EMH hours and park hours and special event(parades, faireworks) hours for each park for the week we will be there.

3) The only EMH that we do are early and late at MK, early at Epcot and Late at DHS.

4)I plug those into my spreadsheet and then go from there.
Since we fly down and use Disney transporation exclusively, we can easily make it to where ever we eat from whatever park we are at.

5)Since we go for 8 days, there will be days I designate for a particular park and other days we wing it and we just do what and where we want. The more days you are there, the less exact planning you need. When we went for just 5 days, a precise plan was required.

Since the advent of the DDP and ADR's, we actually have much happier and less stressful trips to WDW. It is great magic for us to have a great Dinner ADR for each night , thus solving that issue before we even arrive.
Also, knowing where and when you are eating dinner, makes it easier to plan when and what in regard to lunch.

If it were just DH and I, I would not be as much as a planner.(OK, I probably would), but with kids it is so much simplier for all of us to have at least an outline plan in place.

While I think there's a happy medium between paying for the DDP for nearly $800 and eating all CS meals for $400, I don't think 3 people can eat on $50 per day. When my husband and I have been at WDW without our kids, our CS meals cost us ~$25. Breakfast at our resort food court was $15 each day. I think that if you eat CS every day for every meal and always order the cheapest thing on the menu, you will be sick to death of cheeseburgers and fries halfway through your trip.

Going to resorts for meals can be done easily using Disney transportation, but you have to be willing to wait. You will eat up park time doing so, no doubt, but over 9 days you should have enough time to see most everything you want to anyway.

If you want to keep your costs down, I'd recommend bringing breakfast foods in your suitcase so you can eat in your room. Or, you can place an order with one of the online grocers and have it delivered to your resort (gardengrocer.com, wegoshop.com are 2 widely used here on the DIS) and even get some bread and lunchmeat to make sandwiches for a meal here and there.

Oh, and I've had that pork chop at Sunshine Seasons and it's quite good! :goodvibes

well just rechecked my dining plan oop and i was missing 2-3 meals so it will cost about 100-150.00 more for ddp but we will get more snack and desserts and 6 months to pay off with disney visa. What to do? I'm going nuts because now if i go this route i need some table services.Hope wdw comes out with a package deal for nov.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter