Disney dining plan -- is it worth it

The argument here seems to be based on completely separate scenarios. If you're reservation qualifies for "free" dining, then is is frequently worthwhile to pay a little extra for your room reservation in order to receive the "free" promotion. If, however, you must pay the list price for the dining plan, the cost benefit almost immediately disappears. Unless you have multiple "children" (ages 3-9), you will not save money by purchasing the plan.

You know, I figured wrong. It is about $470-$500 savings. We like to do a sit down along with fast service. Depending on the meal, out of pocket versus DDP for sit down can save $10-15 per person depending on the meal you get. Multiply that by 3 people per day and you save $30-$45 a day. Multiplied by 7 is roughly $210-$250 + or - a week. Then add in the bottled juice you can get for free with the DDP and using the mug saves $5 a breakfast, multiplied by 3 is $15 a day, $105 for the week so that saves on the snack portion having the mug. Now we are up to $365. And with a fast service meal, you also get usually a fruit snack, that we always take back to the resort, so that saves another $5 per person, at $15 daily, x 7 is another $105. So you are at approximately $470 for a 7 day stay. Fast service meals are roughly the same price per person, but the refillable mug saves money, and the DDP sit-down meal can save you on entrees of almost 10-15 a meal. I miscalculated the $900 because I didn't figure in the snacks and such. So, it can still save you money if you eat 2 meals a day.

Now pray for free dining and you can save big bucks.

"Depending on your meal, out of pocket vs DDP can save $10-15 per person depending on the meal you get"- Incorrect. Out of pocket is less always less expensive with the exception of ordering the most expensive entree on the menu at certain restaurants. So really, you can multiply a loss of $5-$15 per person for a loss of $30-$45 per day. More if you split desserts and are happy with having ice water sometimes. So you're losing $200+ a week.

"Using the mug and getting bottled juice saves you $5 a breakfast" the refillable mugs are available without the dining plan, and you have to use them like crazy to break even with them.

"You get a fruit snack that we always take back to the resort, so that saves another $5 per person per day"- That's part of the dessert portion of your meal, which is factored into the cost of dining plan. Most snacks cost between $2.50 and $4.50.

Dining plan is $60.64 per night per person. Here's how it really works:

Snack- $4 (cupcake, dole whip etc.)

Lunch- $18 (cosmic ray's 1/2 chicken entree, dessert, and fountain beverage)

Dinner- $42 (chefs de france beef short ribs, creme brulee dessert, and coffee)

Refillable Mug- $2.50 (based on $17.99 cost for length of stay, divided by 7 days)

Total: $66.50

Savings- $5.96 per day per person. For a family of four you'd save $166.88 for your entire vacation)

But this is where the dining plan totally loses its value. If you were to cut out one dessert a day at a quick service restaurant, split a dessert at a table service restaurant, opt to drink water instead of soda/juice at just one meal your savings start to get very significant. Say you drink water at one of your quick service meal. You saved $3. Now you choose to opt of dessert at quick service because the 1,200 calories you just ate was enough. Save $4 or more. Now you are saving $7 per day per person. Get 2 desserts at your table service instead of 4. You just saved $16. Now you're up to saving $23 a day. That's $17 savings per person per day vs paying for the dining plan. $17 x 4 people= $68 savings per day! That's $476 of savings per week by drinking water at counter service meals, splitting desserts at table service meals, and not getting a dessert you aren't hungry for at lunch.

So without the meal plan you can easily save $476 or more. With the meal plan, you can save $5.96 per person as a best case scenario- stuffing yourself sick at lunch, losing out on your ability to eat at great signature restaurants etc. This is why the dining plan just isn't a good value.

"Depending on your meal, out of pocket vs DDP can save $10-15 per person depending on the meal you get"- Incorrect. Out of pocket is less always less expensive with the exception of ordering the most expensive entree on the menu at certain restaurants. So really, you can multiply a loss of $5-$15 per person for a loss of $30-$45 per day. More if you split desserts and are happy with having ice water sometimes. So you're losing $200+ a week.

"Using the mug and getting bottled juice saves you $5 a breakfast" the refillable mugs are available without the dining plan, and you have to use them like crazy to break even with them.

"You get a fruit snack that we always take back to the resort, so that saves another $5 per person per day"- That's part of the dessert portion of your meal, which is factored into the cost of dining plan. Most snacks cost between $2.50 and $4.50.

Dining plan is $60.64 per night per person. Here's how it really works:

Snack- $4 (cupcake, dole whip etc.)

Lunch- $18 (cosmic ray's 1/2 chicken entree, dessert, and fountain beverage)

Dinner- $42 (chefs de france beef short ribs, creme brulee dessert, and coffee)

Refillable Mug- $2.50 (based on $17.99 cost for length of stay, divided by 7 days)

Total: $66.50

Savings- $5.96 per day per person. For a family of four you'd save $166.88 for your entire vacation)

But this is where the dining plan totally loses its value. If you were to cut out one dessert a day at a quick service restaurant, split a dessert at a table service restaurant, opt to drink water instead of soda/juice at just one meal your savings start to get very significant. Say you drink water at one of your quick service meal. You saved $3. Now you choose to opt of dessert at quick service because the 1,200 calories you just ate was enough. Save $4 or more. Now you are saving $7 per day per person. Get 2 desserts at your table service instead of 4. You just saved $16. Now you're up to saving $23 a day. That's $17 savings per person per day vs paying for the dining plan. $17 x 4 people= $68 savings per day! That's $476 of savings per week by drinking water at counter service meals, splitting desserts at table service meals, and not getting a dessert you aren't hungry for at lunch.

So without the meal plan you can easily save $476 or more. With the meal plan, you can save $5.96 per person as a best case scenario- stuffing yourself sick at lunch, losing out on your ability to eat at great signature restaurants etc. This is why the dining plan just isn't a good value.

Good analysis, but you're forgetting the main objective: the dining plan isn't meant to be a real money saver. Even in Disney's ads, it says it CAN save you UP TO 20% - which is true if, as you said, you are ordering the most expensive entrees. When considering the plan, you shouldn't split hairs over whether you'll save 50 cents by doing this, or save $10 by doing that. You should consider what the cost of convenience is worth to you. For many people, including us, I'll gladly pay an extra $476 to have our meals prepaid and pre-budgeted, not have to worry about ordering expensive entrees and desserts when I want them, and to not have to worry about drinking ice water at every stop. I know I'm paying more but I'm ok with that. So, rather than thinking about which is the biggest money saver, I'm thinking about which is going to add value to my WDW vacation. For the folks who are most concerned with keeping a tight budget, then obviously the plan is not a great option for them.

Good analysis, but you're forgetting the main objective: the dining plan isn't meant to be a real money saver. Even in Disney's ads, it says it CAN save you UP TO 20% - which is true if, as you said, you are ordering the most expensive entrees. When considering the plan, you shouldn't split hairs over whether you'll save 50 cents by doing this, or save $10 by doing that. You should consider what the cost of convenience is worth to you. For many people, including us, I'll gladly pay an extra $476 to have our meals prepaid and pre-budgeted, not have to worry about ordering expensive entrees and desserts when I want them, and to not have to worry about drinking ice water at every stop. I know I'm paying more but I'm ok with that. So, rather than thinking about which is the biggest money saver, I'm thinking about which is going to add value to my WDW vacation. For the folks who are most concerned with keeping a tight budget, then obviously the plan is not a great option for them.

I'm not sure what the difference is between pre-paying for the dining plan and touching your magic band to use a credit vs touching your magic band to pay using your credit card. So you save yourself the 30 seconds it takes to log on and make a payment to your visa? That's the reason you go with the dining plan? All the headache of making sure what you buy is dining plan approved and ordering more expensive items even if you don't really want them because you are trying to maximize the value? Why not assuredly save money instead?

Well I would have to stay at a hotel for 750.00 a night at a room discount of 35% for 8 nights and a family of 4 (all over 10) to justify not getting the free dining if it is offered. I am staying at a moderate (CBR perfered room for 256.00 a night) and the room only discount is 25% (512.00). I can not feed my family of 4 at Disney World for 512.00 for 8 nights..To add the dining plan to a reservation is 1940.48. I got a free dining bounce back offer back in October of 2014. So now we will buy breakfast at the resort because it is the least expensive. Do a table service lunch or dinner, a quick service lunch or dinner and not worry about getting top dollar out of the dining plan. However: if it wasnt free I would not buy it. I don't think the dining plan is a good value vs paying out of pocket.

Well I would have to stay at a hotel for 750.00 a night at a room discount of 35% for 8 nights and a family of 4 (all over 10) to justify not getting the free dining if it is offered. I am staying at a moderate (CBR perfered room for 256.00 a night) and the room only discount is 25% (512.00). I can not feed my family of 4 at Disney World for 512.00 for 8 nights..To add the dining plan to a reservation is 1940.48. I got a free dining bounce back offer back in October of 2014. So now we will buy breakfast at the resort because it is the least expensive. Do a table service lunch or dinner, a quick service lunch or dinner and not worry about getting top dollar out of the dining plan. However: if it wasnt free I would not buy it. I don't think the dining plan is a good value vs paying out of pocket.
The question was never if "free" dining was worth it. The question was, is it worth $180/day for a family of three with a 12-year-old. That's a resounding, "NO!"

The question was never if "free" dining was worth it. The question was, is it worth $180/day for a family of three with a 12-year-old. That's a resounding, "NO!"
Exactly!! Just what I said if you read all of it... It is not worth it unless its free...

I'm not sure what the difference is between pre-paying for the dining plan and touching your magic band to use a credit vs touching your magic band to pay using your credit card. So you save yourself the 30 seconds it takes to log on and make a payment to your visa? That's the reason you go with the dining plan? All the headache of making sure what you buy is dining plan approved and ordering more expensive items even if you don't really want them because you are trying to maximize the value? Why not assuredly save money instead?

It's pretty simple - pre-paying your meals allows you to budget for it. If I book a WDW trip at 9 months out, I know exactly how much money I need to set aside per week in order to pay off my trip including food. Surely I can set aside the same amount of money to pay OOP for food while I'm there, but then I will always be getting a burger instead of steak, water instead of a soda, and saying no thanks to the dessert menu. Even when I have ample spending money on hand, I always find myself trying to justify my purchases and thinking twice about things. Just that subconscious awareness of what I'm spending I guess. Knowing my meals are paid for allows me to rid myself of this thinking when ordering.

And as for your last statement, if you re-read my above posts, you'll see I'm one of the people who does NOT order the most expensive items to maximize the plan. The people who do this are penny pinchers and have no business being on the plan. My previous statements are all about paying for the convenience of it, whether you break even or pay additional for that.

My whole point is that if you're looking at the plan from purely a cost savings perspective, you'll no doubt be disappointed. Because it's not a cost savings option. It's a convenience option that may come at a cost for some, but some of us are ok with that because we're on vacation and willing to pay it. Its like Magical Express - no additional charge to you but it can be a long ride. So some people opt to pay for a car service to get there faster and easier. Its more convenient for them, and they're willing to pay for that.

It's pretty simple - pre-paying your meals allows you to budget for it. If I book a WDW trip at 9 months out, I know exactly how much money I need to set aside per week in order to pay off my trip including food. Surely I can set aside the same amount of money to pay OOP for food while I'm there, but then I will always be getting a burger instead of steak, water instead of a soda, and saying no thanks to the dessert menu. Even when I have ample spending money on hand, I always find myself trying to justify my purchases and thinking twice about things. Just that subconscious awareness of what I'm spending I guess. Knowing my meals are paid for allows me to rid myself of this thinking when ordering.

And as for your last statement, if you re-read my above posts, you'll see I'm one of the people who does NOT order the most expensive items to maximize the plan. The people who do this are penny pinchers and have no business being on the plan. My previous statements are all about paying for the convenience of it, whether you break even or pay additional for that.

My whole point is that if you're looking at the plan from purely a cost savings perspective, you'll no doubt be disappointed. Because it's not a cost savings option. It's a convenience option that may come at a cost for some, but some of us are ok with that because we're on vacation and willing to pay it. Its like Magical Express - no additional charge to you but it can be a long ride. So some people opt to pay for a car service to get there faster and easier. Its more convenient for them, and they're willing to pay for that.

I can appreciate wher you are coming from and I understand we all are wired differently when it comes to budgeting and planning our trips. I personally can't stand the idea of paying more than is necessary for food or having appetizers not an option and ordering dessert at every meal etc. If you understand you may very well spend more on the dining plan than out of pocket and don't care- then more power to you. Doesn't compute in my mind.

I can appreciate wher you are coming from and I understand we all are wired differently when it comes to budgeting and planning our trips. I personally can't stand the idea of paying more than is necessary for food or having appetizers not an option and ordering dessert at every meal etc. If you understand you may very well spend more on the dining plan than out of pocket and don't care- then more power to you. Doesn't compute in my mind.

And that's why not everyone gets the dining plan. I do think your financial analysis was spot on, I just think that since DDP isn't really a financial savings consideration, that the convenience factor for value to your vacation should be the primary consideration is all. There's always tons of posts asking if it saves money, but the question should really be if it will make your vacation better/easier for you.

I'm a fan and pretty big supporter of the dining plan, but even I agree that for an adult there is little to no financial savings. However, since people who want the dining plan must buy it for their whole party or none, the savings comes for people with kids age 3-9 (especially if they really eat a meal and couldn't just nibble off a parent's plate and get a side) who eat quite a few fixed-price buffet/ character meals. Since the kids DDP is about $20 per day and most buffets are 18+ per child, their counter service and snacks (which may be shared among hungrier adults) are basically free and that savings subsidizes the meal plan.

My family fits the above and also drinks soda, tea, milk or lemonade at most meals AND enjoy Disney desserts. I save receipts and check prices after the fact and, largely due to the kids ages and fixed-price meals where sharing or eating more simply isnt a strategy, the DDP is both a convenience AND a savings for us.

And that's why not everyone gets the dining plan. I do think your financial analysis was spot on, I just think that since DDP isn't really a financial savings consideration, that the convenience factor for value to your vacation should be the primary consideration is all. There's always tons of posts asking if it saves money, but the question should really be if it will make your vacation better/easier for you.

My question remains though- WHAT convenience factor? There is nothing convenient about pre-paying for something- it removes your flexibility in eating what you want, how much you want, and where you want. Either way you're paying with your magic band. What if every restaurant made you pre-pay for everything, would you say oh that's nice how convenient! Or would you say you know what I don't know how full I'm going to be after my entree I can decide if I want dessert after I've eaten. Or maybe the main course will take a while and I don't want to sit here through dessert. The dining plan is like vacation bondage- and the worst part is it's nearly impossible to save money with it!

My question remains though- WHAT convenience factor? There is nothing convenient about pre-paying for something- it removes your flexibility in eating what you want, how much you want, and where you want. Either way you're paying with your magic band. What if every restaurant made you pre-pay for everything, would you say oh that's nice how convenient! Or would you say you know what I don't know how full I'm going to be after my entree I can decide if I want dessert after I've eaten. Or maybe the main course will take a while and I don't want to sit here through dessert. The dining plan is like vacation bondage- and the worst part is it's nearly impossible to save money with it!

I answered this in my previous post. It's convenient TO ME because I can budget it into my vacation savings when I book my trip, which is typically 8-9 months in advance. It's as close to all inclusive as I can get on a Disney vacation. I know the spending money I have set aside is solely for alcohol, tips, and souvenirs. When I'm there, I order what looks good to me, not by price (knowing myself, I know I would be very conscious of what I'm spending even if I had ample spending money on hand). These things are lost when I pay OOP - which I HAVE done. Having experimented several different ways on prevous trips, I now choose to do what works best for me and the way I vacation, and that happens to be the dining plan. You don't have to understand that. The whole reason I responded to your post initially was just to give the other perspective that it's about more than money for some people.

And FWIW - it's hardly "vacation bondage". There's very few DDP restrictions and the ones that do exist, aren't even that limiting. And no one is forcing you to eat that dessert. It's true that you've paid for it, but again, it's about accepting that you may lose money as the price of convenience and determining what that's worth. If someone is the type that they feel compelled to stuff themselves with that slice of cake to get their $5 worth, the plan is not for them.

I answered this in my previous post. It's convenient TO ME because I can budget it into my vacation savings when I book my trip, which is typically 8-9 months in advance. It's as close to all inclusive as I can get on a Disney vacation. I know the spending money I have set aside is solely for alcohol, tips, and souvenirs. When I'm there, I order what looks good to me, not by price (knowing myself, I know I would be very conscious of what I'm spending even if I had ample spending money on hand). These things are lost when I pay OOP - which I HAVE done. Having experimented several different ways on prevous trips, I now choose to do what works best for me and the way I vacation, and that happens to be the dining plan. You don't have to understand that. The whole reason I responded to your post initially was just to give the other perspective that it's about more than money for some people.

And FWIW - it's hardly "vacation bondage". There's very few DDP restrictions and the ones that do exist, aren't even that limiting. And no one is forcing you to eat that dessert. It's true that you've paid for it, but again, it's about accepting that you may lose money as the price of convenience and determining what that's worth. If someone is the type that they feel compelled to stuff themselves with that slice of cake to get their $5 worth, the plan is not for them.

I guess it just blows my mind that anyone would be willing to pay more (perhaps significantly more) and have restrictions just because it is pre-paid vs post-paid. I can't comprehend it.

Why is it that you can make the informed decision to pay more up front knowing full well that you'll be paying more, but you can't make the same purchase decision in the moment at a restaurant? That may sound bad, but it's an honest question. I've heard people describe the "number of purchase decisions" being the problem.

If you budget the same amount as the dining plan, but just sock it away (either on a gift card; leave it in the room to settle up room charges, whatever), you will spend less even if you order the exact same meal. With that knowledge, I'm comfortable making the individual decision to order whatever I want when I sit down. I've seen some restaurants that provide a copy of the menu with no prices listed. If you had that option, would you feel better?

I guess it just blows my mind that anyone would be willing to pay more (perhaps significantly more) and have restrictions just because it is pre-paid vs post-paid. I can't comprehend it.

Ok... my post wasn't asking you to comprehend it, so we're square I guess.

Why is it that you can make the informed decision to pay more up front knowing full well that you'll be paying more, but you can't make the same purchase decision in the moment at a restaurant? That may sound bad, but it's an honest question. I've heard people describe the "number of purchase decisions" being the problem.

If you budget the same amount as the dining plan, but just sock it away (either on a gift card; leave it in the room to settle up room charges, whatever), you will spend less even if you order the exact same meal. With that knowledge, I'm comfortable making the individual decision to order whatever I want when I sit down. I've seen some restaurants that provide a copy of the menu with no prices listed. If you had that option, would you feel better?

Psychological I guess? Same reason so many people were up in arms about MK ticket prices surpassing the $100 threshold. Same reason I buy the generic paper towel over the brand name even though it's crappier. Same reason stores charge $9.99 for things instead of $10. It's all psychological. I know exactly what I'm paying upfront with the plan (hence, the informed decision, as you put it) but wouldn't know what I'd be spending OOP upfront, so I would feel the need to be conservative on my food choices to monitor the budget if paying OOP. And no, a menu with no prices is not helpful because I still know a steak will be double the price of a pasta dish. I don't want to be compelled to order water and skip dessert to watch the budget, because who knows what I'll spend the rest of the trip.

I've had a few trips, namely cruises or Vegas, where I've thrown caution to the wind and bought what I wanted with no qualms. When I got the bill at the end, I had a coronary. I had spent a lot more than I thought. Of course that's my fault for not keeping track but that's my whole point - I don't want to be jotting down prices and balancing my check book on vacation. I want to pay for as much as I can before I go so that I don't have to worry about it. And if that means I pay an extra $200 ahead of time, then so be it. I'm good with that. What's significant to you may not be to me, and vice versa. And yes, I'm the person who also buys the drink packages on cruises. :drinking:

Last edited:
Hi all, thank you for all the advice. I ended up getting the meal plan 1sit down, one counter, one snack. We arrive in Disney on June 22

It is in NO way under ANY circumstances for ANY family of ANY budget "worth it." Anyone who disagrees with that statement lacks either information or wisdom. That's not a judgment on anyone whatsoever, but this isn't a gray area, it's a black and white issue of fact.

Thank You! Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills (or that everyone else is) when I see 99% of people talking about getting the dining plan and how they think they are saving money. I understand different people want different things. But if you really want to eat at an expensive TS restaurant every single day, you're probably not that worried about the minimal amount you MIGHT save if you order expensive enough food. For the people who get the Deluxe DP, I honestly don't understand how they even have enough time or stomach to eat that much. And if you get the QS plan, you are paying 20 dollars per meal PER DAY. I don't think I spend 20 dollars on a QS meal ONCE on my last trip.

It's your money to spend however you want, but it just really baffles me how everyone just assumes it's a great deal. There is a reason Disney offers it, and it's because they are making bank by doing so. But what really irks me is when people make a post asking how to save the most money or have a do a Disney vacation on a budget, and every time without fail, people tell them they should get the DDP! I want to pull my hair out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter