Disney cruise w/significant disabilities?

rjthkids

Mouseketeer
My DH and I have 8 kids, two with very significant disabilities. My oldest is a teen but cognitively about 3 years of age and blind. My youngest is 4, in a wheelchair with CP, ASL/AAC user, Hard of hearing, central line for IV meds/fluids, 24/7 enteral feeds/ cognitive delay the whole nine yards.

I understand Disney cruise lines doesn't have to accommodate significant disabilities in their child programming and it has kept us away for a long time. My question is---what about their "whole family" activities if we didn't use the child programming? Is there enough for kids to do when you don't use the kids programming? Is it worth it?

DCL kids spaces can accommodate children who are capable of being in a group environment without need for direct 1:1 support. DCL cannot provide a 1:1 aide specifically for your child, won't administer meds or feedings; but they may have CMs trained and capable of communicating via either sign language or use of a communication device, and they are used to kids with cognitive delays. If either of your children can spend 30 minutes alone, you might be able to give them that opportunity; they don't have to spend all day there, and you will be texted if they need/request pick-up. However, if the children aren't capable of participating in "secured programming" you are welcome to bring them into any of the kids' spaces during "open house" times -- these are typically scheduled for at least one hour per day in each of the kids' spaces (Club, Lab, Edge and Vibe). Parents (or other adult) are welcome to participate during these times; these are the only times non-CMs are allowed access to the spaces other than to pick-up a child. I definitely recommend you check-out the kids' spaces on embarkation afternoon which is open house mode all afternoon.

As to other activities... that may depend on your children's abilities and the family's interests. There are the pools, though I will warn those get VERY crowded and may close at times for "bio" clean-up. (We don't spend a lot of time in the pools onboard.) On deck there is also the AquaDuck or AquaDunk, Mickey slide, toddler splash area, family splash area, sports area with mini-golf and basketball and sports simulators (not sure what else), as well as lounge chairs for resting, reading, watching funnel vision, people-watching, etc. -- facilities and offerings vary by ship. Indoors is a movie theater with current movies, character meet & greets scheduled throughout the day and evening, usually at least one of the "bars" has board games available during the day (and open to all ages until maybe 9pm), seminars on how to make towel animals and cooking and drawing animation are open to all ages, crafts, trivia, character dance parties, Bingo (warning it gets pricier towards the end of the cruise), shopping; there is a teen spa, and there may be various tours of the ship offered. I suggest you look at the Personal Navigators for a ship and itinerary of interest from this site: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/ Look in particular at the grid schedule on the line labeled "Fun for All Ages" if looking for family activities (and you can also see Adult and Kids programming). Funnel Vision is movies on the pool deck; Buena Vista Theatre is an indoor movie theater; the Character meet & greets listed are open to all guests. There will be more activities offered on an "At Sea" day than during a port stop, but there is still plenty to do onboard if you don't go ashore for port stops. Longer cruises may have additional offerings not available on the shorter cruises, so be sure to look at a variety of Navigators.

Feel free to ask about specific offerings if you have questions. Good luck with your research and enjoy your vacation!

DCL kids spaces can accommodate children who are capable of being in a group environment without need for direct 1:1 support.

1) Excellent description.
2) DCL tries to accommodate, but it is still a mass-merchandizer and can go only so far.
3) We do with you good luck with your kids and their challenges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter