"Disney Bucks"

clovely

Mouseketeer
Is this the same as "Disney Dollars"? My aunt's friend told her she bought them for her grandchildren and my aunt wants to get some for my kids before our cruise. I thought I read something about not being able to use these on the cruise (but can't find that now). Does anyone know if you can use them on the cruise and what would my kids use them for? Souveniers??

Thanks,
Cynthia

Yes they are one and the same with Disney Dollars. But they can't be used on the ship or CC. They can turn them into cash and put them on their key card.

Amlee said:
Yes they are one and the same with Disney Dollars. But they can't be used on the ship or CC. They can turn them into cash and put them on their key card.

Thanks. I was pretty sure I had read they couldn't be used on the ship. (Her friend insists they can be, though). I could put them on the key card but the kids are only 5 and 6 - don't plan on letting them buy stuff on the key card. Seems kinda silly, really. I wish she wouldn't get these but I don't think there's any talking her out of it.

Your welcome!

We did put money on the kids cards. They knew that was how much they had to spend for the trip. We kept up with how much they had spent for them thought. But it was easier for us to say. Do you think you have enough to buy it? They kids enjoyed being able to buy their own stuff and thought they were "big kids". They also weren't asking can I have that? or I want that!

Can't you just put it on YOUR key card and you can buy them whatever on the ship with it.. since they are young and you don't want the money put on their key cards?

We asked our parents for Disney dollars for the kids this past Christmas. Like someone said, they know the money is theirs and get a big kick out having their own spending card even if it's not paper cash in hand. This year they are going to have the Disney money from their grands as well as what the two older ones have saved from their allowance which I know won't be much, so I'm glad for the Disney Dollars.

Disney Dollars cannot be DIRECTLY used on the ships, but they can be used to pay money on your bill at Guest Services, so in effect Disney Dollars CAN give your kids spending money on the cruise but they will either have to use their own key card to charge or charge things on your card.

We got Disney Dollars for Christmas, and we used them on our cruise in January. Like everyone else is saying, you have to put it on your Key to the World card. I was a little nervous that the CM's wouldn't know what I was talking about, but the Guest Services staff had no problems. That made a teeny-tiny dent in our bill!

One other word of caution with young kids, when you board the ship, ALL KTTW cards are set up with charging priveleges, even the kids'. If you want it taken off, I believe you have to stop by Guest Services and have them do that for you. I kept meaning to do that with our kids' cards, but they were either with us or in the Club/Lab, so I wasn't worried about them taking the cards and charging a fortune at the store or the arcade either.

This issue comes up all the time and I always like to clarify for folks.....

There are Disney Dollars and Disney Reward Dollars....they are two totally different animals.

First, the traditional "Disney Dollars" that have been around for years are paper dollars that come in different denominations (the bills are the same size as US currency), each with a character logo on them. The denominations are 1's, 5's, 10's & now 50's and can be purchased at your local Disney Store. These can be redeemed most anywhere on a Disney property like the Parks, resorts, hotels, restaurants as well as used at the Disney Stores and onboard DCL and can be used just like cash, dollar for dollar everywhere mentioned except DCL. If you want to use them onboard DCL you have to use them at guest service to pay off or down your account....they cannot be used within the shops or bars onboard as the cruise is a "cash-less" system and everything you purchase is put on your KTTW card....but they can definately be redeemed at guest service.

Now...there is also something called "Disney Reward Dollars" that can be earned by using your Disney Visa Card (through Chase..used to be Bank One). Many people get these confused with regular Disney Dollars but they are completely different. Disney Reward Dollars are "dollars" that can be earned by making purchases with your Disney Visa Card.....I believe you earn $1.00 for every $100.00 you spend on the card. These Disney Reward Dollars are accumulated and once you hit a certain amount these dollars can be transferred to a Disney Rewards Card. I believe you must have at least $20 in Disney Reward Dollars to have them transfer to a Rewards Card. Let's say you use your Disney Visa Card often and you rack up $250 in Disney Reward Dollars. You can either call Disney Visa (Chase) and tell them you want to transfer the whole $250 of earned Reward Dollars or just part of it to a Rewards Card. They will then mail you the Rewards Card (looks just like a gift card) and you can use this card at guest service onboard....either by using the whole amount on it or just part of the amount on the card....you tell the CM at guest service desk how much of it you want to use to pay off or down your onboard account. They can tell you how much is on the card at any given time. You can also order a Reward Card online instead of calling Visa. Just visit the Disney Visa Chase website and you can manage your reward dollars that way.

Note:...it takes up to two weeks to get your Rewards Card in the mail after you order it....so plan accordingly before your trip. They are reusable so when you rack up more reward dollars they can be added to the same card. Once you put Reward Dollars on a Rewards Card they expire at the end of that year and cannot be replaced so make sure you use them all up before the end of that year or only put the amount you know you will use on the Rewards Card.

Disney Reward Dollars on your Reward Card can also be used at most Disney places...like the parks, hotels, restaurants, shops, etc.

Hope this helps!!!!

We have used our Disney Rewards Dollars several times on the cruise. I just go to Guest Service and they can tell me how much I have on my card and I tell them how much I want to put toward my onboard account. Very simple!!

MJ, that is the best explanation I have read in regards to both Disney Dollars AND Disney Rewards. Thank you.

Thank you.....I know it can be very confusing for people....and folks often interchange the terms Disney Dollars and Disney Reward Dollars but they are two very different things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter