• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney book suggestions for my down time

JusticeForGaston

An Aussie werewolf in London
I'm off to WDW next week for my first time. I'm going solo and thought it might be nice to get some suggestions for books to put on my Kindle for reading while I have down time or at dining venues on my lonesome.

I'm a massive disney geek so anything about Walt, the parks, animation process or Disney history would be amazing.

Have you read anything good that you recommend?

Thanks!

You should try Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Scott, he is a big disney fan and writes these amazing stories about being in the park and adventures the kids go on in the parks, being the fans we are of the parks, I found it very entertaining to say the least and although it might be geared more towards a younger, maybe HS or tween generation, I'm 40 and I loved the books!!! Wish we had more of those types of books out there, and only a true disney fan would appreciate the info he brings to the books about the parks.

You should try Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Scott, he is a big disney fan and writes these amazing stories about being in the park and adventures the kids go on in the parks, being the fans we are of the parks, I found it very entertaining to say the least and although it might be geared more towards a younger, maybe HS or tween generation, I'm 40 and I loved the books!!! Wish we had more of those types of books out there, and only a true disney fan would appreciate the info he brings to the books about the parks.

I'm never looking at the "It's a Small World" dolls the same again, thanks to that book! :stitch2:

I've taken to loading a couple audio books (onto my phone). I find it's very convenient for waiting in lines, tuning out annoying conversations, etc. It also leaves me free to soak up all the gorgeous visuals of WDW. In addition to listening to books, I also find any podcast with/from Michael Bowling to be very informative and interesting when it comes to Walt and the history of animation, the parks, etc.

But as for actual reading - - I did enjoy Disney War, and the previously mentioned Kingdom Keepers.

If you look on the show notes of the new show Michael is doing with Craig there are always books listed that he uses for his research. Some look very interesting.

Last edited:
I second the audiobook suggestion.

I read The Animated Man by Michael Barrier a few years ago and really enjoyed it. There are more thorough biographies out there, but The Animated Man hits all the important notes and provides a really good picture of Disney's life. I've also read some of The Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis, which has some really interesting Disney stories in it, including the story of when Chuck Jones worked at Disney, which I found really interesting.

I second the recommendation for Marty Sklar's book Dream It! Do It!. Lot's of fascinating behind the scene stories. He just released a new book buy I haven't gotten that one... yet.

I'm never looking at the "It's a Small World" dolls the same again, thanks to that book! :stitch2:

Reading that book and seeing the movie "Tomorrowland" has changed my perspective of IASM forever. I keep waiting for the boat to stop and drop down that incline.

I'm 31 and I love the Kingdom Keepers books as well! They are well written and easy to read. I love reading but don't always have time for long ones. They are targeted to 9-12 year olds but I like them as an adult. Plus tons of Disney loving adults I know have read them.

They aren't Disney related but anything by Rick riordan are great books that tie in mythology and modern times. Again target age is 9-12 olds but still a good story!

Try 'Our Kingdom of Dust', or 'Habst and the Disney Saboteurs'. Disney related with a twist! You can find them on Amazon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter