• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Blues...

ChelleFeegan

Mouseketeer
Gah! I hate them...

We went to the world the first time last year, and I fell in love so much we had booked for this year within 2 weeks of returning... This year, no matter how much I try hubby is not budging,, apparently there is more to see than Orlando. Pfft! I've done the Europe thing to death, and the thought of spending two weeks by a pool now bores me (ok I realise I do sound rather spoilt and I don't mean too, but surely you can understand where I come from). Anyhow, he suggested California? But in all honesty, I just want to go back to the world, plus there's still things in Florida we haven't done.

Can anyone offer a cure for the blues, or some advice on how to sway my husband?

Thanks, and fingers crossed for some extra special pixie dust my way

Is dear hubby a golfer? Encourage him to bring the clubs/irons and golf often at Disney....you can always do things in the evening together...schedule FP for later in day....
This works for me....or us..

Gah! I hate them... We went to the world the first time last year, and I fell in love so much we had booked for this year within 2 weeks of returning... This year, no matter how much I try hubby is not budging,, apparently there is more to see than Orlando. Pfft! I've done the Europe thing to death, and the thought of spending two weeks by a pool now bores me (ok I realise I do sound rather spoilt and I don't mean too, but surely you can understand where I come from). Anyhow, he suggested California? But in all honesty, I just want to go back to the world, plus there's still things in Florida we haven't done. Can anyone offer a cure for the blues, or some advice on how to sway my husband? Thanks, and fingers crossed for some extra special pixie dust my way

In California Disneyland pretty much mirrors the MK, instead of HS you could go to a real studio in Hollywood, there is an African Safari park near San Diego that is very similar to the safari ride at AK, but lasts all day, as for Epcot, if you've done Europe to death, head on over to Asia, and get your fix of Japan and China there. Or, at least head to China town and Japan town in LA or SF right there in California. But yeah, there is a rather large world outside Orlando.

My hubby is the same way - not nearly as big a fan of the mouse as I am. Last year we did do California - 2 weeks driving from San Diego to Napa and I got him to stop in Disneyland instead. It was a good compromise and fun to see another Disney park!

I do realize it is a big world and that there's lot to see and you know if I had an infinite amount of time and money, I'd go to Paris one week, London the next, then a tropical island, and so on and so on. However, since I have a finite amount of time and money, I choose to go the happiest place on earth or the most magical place on earth - take your pick, in any case, it's Walt Disney World for me, and some people will never understand it and that's OK too.

I work with people who have taken, say, one trip there, like 15 or 20 years ago and they feel that is all they need to do, they've seen it and have no desire to ever do it again. I went to Disney 4 years in a row from '09-'12 and people all thought I was crazy except one Disney co-worker who is like me and understands the magic.

For me, it's just being there, walking amongst the place, I don't even have to be on a ride or an attraction, just the atmosphere itself makes me so very happy - I'm like on cloud nine. For me, it's where dreams come true, where fairy tales come to life, and no sandy beach or European architectural wonder could ever compete with that.

Well, if you can't work out a California compromise trip or you really want t go to DisneyWorld, you'll have to suggest things he likes. What exactly does he not like about Disney? The biggest misconceptions that keep men (I'm one, btw) from wanting to go to DW is that it is hot, you wait in long lines, to ride IASW and similar attractions, or to see a costumed character, and there is no adult beverages served. So stick to inside attractions, use FP+ and have a rule never to wait more than 20 min or so, and do some of the more adventuresome rides.

You can plan lots of adult fun things too. Maybe a "beer around the world" at EPCOT. Hang out by the resort pool a day or two. Eat at the better restaurants. Resort hop and try the different lounges and bars. Then, do some things outside the world. Orlando has some great museums, an amazing boat ride around some small lakes where you would never believe you are in a big city, some high end shopping and dining in the Winter Park area, or many other things I'd be happy to tell you about. Go to Daytona Beach and see the beach or race track, Visit NASA not far away, take an airboat tour of the swamp, go deep sea fishing, or take in a Bucs game in Tampa.

Anyway, let us know what he would like to do on a vacation, and I can suggest more.

Anyhow, he suggested California?

There's a Disney resort in California called Disneyland. It's a lot like WDW, only a lot smaller with fewer parks and hotels, but that's because it's the original location and Walt was quickly hemmed in by other entrepreneurs exploiting the popularity of Disneyland.

If you can't get hubby to budge on the parks, try a Disney cruise. In the summer, one of the Disney ships homeports in Barcelona with Med cruises, then makes a 14-day trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise back to the US. You get a great cruise experience with the Disney touches you love so much.

Gah! I hate them...

We went to the world the first time last year, and I fell in love so much we had booked for this year within 2 weeks of returning... This year, no matter how much I try hubby is not budging,, apparently there is more to see than Orlando. Pfft! I've done the Europe thing to death, and the thought of spending two weeks by a pool now bores me (ok I realise I do sound rather spoilt and I don't mean too, but surely you can understand where I come from). Anyhow, he suggested California? But in all honesty, I just want to go back to the world, plus there's still things in Florida we haven't done.

Can anyone offer a cure for the blues, or some advice on how to sway my husband?

Thanks, and fingers crossed for some extra special pixie dust my way

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I am you in a male version and my wife is your husband. My wife wanted to expand our vacation horizons and so far, all she accomplished was me missing Disney even more. I only get one vacation a year and nothing brings me back to feeling young again like Disney. I have a lot of stuffed shirt friends who hate Disney but so far at 50, I could care less about golfing, talking sports or just being a stuffed shirt. I rather be at Disney and feeling the magic.

Really, every time I go some place else on vacation all I keep saying to myself, I rather be at Disney. I can't explain how the place makes me feel. The way I describe it to my wife is, when I'm at Disney I feel like I'm on vacation and so far no other place makes me feel that way.

If your from America and you have done Europe a few times maybe its time for your trip DOWNUNDER.

Go (Come) to Australia!

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I am you in a male version and my wife is your husband. My wife wanted to expand our vacation horizons and so far, all she accomplished was me missing Disney even more. I only get one vacation a year and nothing brings me back to feeling young again like Disney. I have a lot of stuffed shirt friends who hate Disney but so far at 50, I could care less about golfing, talking sports or just being a stuffed shirt. I rather be at Disney and feeling the magic.

Really, every time I go some place else on vacation all I keep saying to myself, I rather be at Disney. I can't explain how the place makes me feel. The way I describe it to my wife is, when I'm at Disney I feel like I'm on vacation and so far no other place makes me feel that way.

:love::love::love:
Marry Me!

LOL

:rotfl:

We get round it by booking at least one other holiday each year aside from Disney. We've managed three years in a row so far and as it's my 30th next year I'm determined there will be a fourth (lol).

Hi everyone, it's so nice not to be alone :)

We have spoken tonight and he has said if we can afford if (we brought a new house in June so needs decorating) then we can go again next year...

The conversation went...

If it means that much to you, we can go back. But I am not doing 14 days of the parks.

I replied with that's understandable and maybe we could get a hotel on I drive, but not do the deal we normally do (our normal package is really good, it's the hotel, car, 14 day disney, 14 day universal all included) and buy our tickets separately.

We then went on to discuss space centre, etc

Then he randomly went, we could stay at Disney and fake advantage of the free dining...

Then,

We could do a Disney cruise...

So things are looking very positive and I am very grateful. Now just need to work the finances.

Thank you everyone for your kInd words

Good news! Don't count out a dual CA/DL trip either. As much as WDW is my home park - I love DL. It is smaller but it is where Walt actually walked and it has a different feel to it that I Love just as much for different reasons.

I'm one that is starting to need to get out of the box a bit - so I'm doing one trip elsewhere and one trip to either Disney each year (whichever is cheaper). Last year I took a break due to sickness but I'm more excited to get back to the magic now! pixiedust:

If you can really swing it, I highly recommend Disneyland!

I personally loved the smaller size of it. Plus, you can make your hubby happy doing other non-disney stuff, too!!

We did San Diego for 5 nights and drove to Anaheim for 5 nights last year. You could easily do less DL and add in the beach, too. We stayed on Harbor Blvd. It was nice but not all-Disney all-the-time. It was great to get my Disney fix, and I think my DH felt like we were seeing a new part of the country and adding enough Pacific adventure for it to be a non-Disney vacation. It truly is different than WDW.

As for WDW, we did an (almost) no-parks weekend this time. Our issue is not too much Disney, but not enough relaxation. Stay in your favorite upscale resort (not value, too many characters). Plan pool time, visit Fort Wilderness, go fishing, golfing, the spa, and EAT! SO many great restaurants that we never have time for when we're in the parks. We rode lots of monorail and boats. Our worst day (!) was when we did tackle MK! The rest of the trip was so relaxing. Of course, 2 weeks might be too long, but you could always drive to Miami or Tampa, or Naples for part of the trip.

Have you considered Adventures By Disney? I would love to try some of those itineraries!

We have spoken tonight and he has said if we can afford if (we brought a new house in June so needs decorating) then we can go again next year...

The conversation went...

If it means that much to you, we can go back. But I am not doing 14 days of the parks.

I replied with that's understandable and maybe we could get a hotel on I drive, but not do the deal we normally do (our normal package is really good, it's the hotel, car, 14 day disney, 14 day universal all included) and buy our tickets separately.

Then he randomly went, we could stay at Disney and fake advantage of the free dining...

Then,

So things are looking very positive and I am very grateful. Now just need to work the finances.

:cool1: :cheer2:pixiedust: :beach:

The conversation went...

Then,

Oh wow, I love this! You were able to think of things from his view, and adjust things a bit so it's not commando disney every moment, and he saw how important these disney trips are to you and was able to see where your disney heart is! :lovestruc :love:
So sweet, how awesome is that?! :mickeyjum:goofy::donald::tigger::sulley::figment::simba::dumbo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter