• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney becoming lax with allergies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This part is scary. I would ask once to speak to the chef. The second request would be to speak to the manager if the chef wasn't forthcoming.

I just want to be clear, it’s never that the chef has refused, it’s more that the waiters seem to see themselves as a roadblock.

I don’t have a deadly allergy, but I have a family member who does. I worry for people who have deadly, but not top 8 allergies.

We had a similar experience about restaurants being way too restrictive when they found out my son had an allergy. He has a shellfish allergy, but they kept trying to force him to eat off the allergy menu. For example, they didn't want to serve him mashed potatoes because they have dairy and therefore aren't on the allergy menu--what?! I understand that Disney restaurants have a separate allergen free area where they prepare foods with none of the top allergens, but we didn't need that level of protection and they wouldn't let us have the choice once they found out there was an allergy. It got to the point where I went back into our reservations and started editing out his allergy info. For a shellfish (crustacean) allergy it's pretty obvious to us from menus what he can't have, though we always have to ask about things like shared fryers. It bothered me that Disney was so concerned about their own liability (from what I could tell) that they ended up making my son less safe because we had to hide his allergy. (And yes, we carry epi-pens and Benadryl and avoid restaurants with seafood-heavy menus, though it's impossible to avoid all restaurants that serve shellfish.)

OP I'm so sorry that happened! Thank goodness that that other guy in your party was able to go and get first aid! He shouldn't have had to but bless him for running to make sure you're safe! I don't know what I would have done but I know my hubs might have picked me up and pushed the manager away to carry me out by that point. Thank goodness it wasn't anymore serious! They have your ino from the reservation, making you fill out more paperwork is just uneeded, they'd already have a way to contact the group.

This is honestly a little frightening to me. I have a serotonin reaction so foods that release a lot are right out. I can have small amounts of dark greens, almonds, and OJ. No prob there, but even a little avocado or banana will have me in pain all night. I won't die, it just feels like being kicked in the stomach. So for nearly all my ADR's I said nothing. I'm not gonna order those things, it's not an issue. Except at Ohana, there I looked at the menu and the dessert has bananas in the sauce. So I put myself down as having an allergy. Thought maybe they could just not sauce my dessert. Now I'm scared I'll arrive and be forced to get things made for the top 8 allergies, of which I have none... and I'll miss out on the food I wanted to try. Should I just take it off my reservation and not eat dessert. I mean I can live without bread pudding... I was just hoping it would be an easy fix the bananas seem to only be in the sauce (I think...).

It bothered me that Disney was so concerned about their own liability (from what I could tell) that they ended up making my son less safe because we had to hide his allergy.
All these stories have in common that Disney is indeed putting liability above guest experience. In fact, the whole "look over the menu" is putting the onus on the guest, instead of sharing it with the restaurant staff.

OP, I hope you do contact Disney and let them know the manager was blocking the door because she wanted you to sign papers *before* getting medical attention. I also hope you let them know how ridiculous it is for Disney to force you into the "allergy" dessert when the regular dessert didn't have any fish.

Disney talks a lot about industry standards. I don't have an allergy (more like intolerances), but I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that regular restaurants don't just hand you an allergy menu information without having a chef talk to you. And restaurants don't force you into the gluten free option because you have a fish allergy. What are your experiences at home? I think that should be mentioned to them too.

We are on the same page here. I don't know what you are trying to prove to me. I am saying in extreme cases, there are some restaurants that a person with allergies should not go into(like red lobster if you have a seafood allergy, etc) and there will be some that will be OK if you talk to the chef and they can make you something. That is where personal responsibility comes in. I am not at all saying that the OP should not have gone into Teppan. She has been in before and they said that they could handle her allergy. It was a freak accident that shrimp came into contact with her.

I straddle the "allergy" fence on this one. My son is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, and shellfish. So far, he seems okay with fish. He's 24 y/o now. Never in his life has he been to a hibachi style restaurant. It was a little tough for him in high school because we have several in our area and it seemed to be the "cool" place his friends would go on a Friday night to have dinner and socialize. I wouldn't allow it. We've never been to Teppan Edo either for that very reason. Now that he's older (and to be honest takes too many risks with his food allergy) he still won't go because of all the "flying" stuff and the flattop way of cooking. I mean, they really cannot remove the allergen from the grills completely. So, in reading this thread I was a little surprised that a person with "allergic to everything in the sea" would go there. To me, no matter how great Disney is, it's taking on too much risk. I did think for a moment that if my son was ever to experience a Hibachi type place, Teppan Edo would be it because Disney has always been fantastic with food allergies, but we know better now!

OP I'm so sorry that happened! Thank goodness that that other guy in your party was able to go and get first aid! He shouldn't have had to but bless him for running to make sure you're safe! I don't know what I would have done but I know my hubs might have picked me up and pushed the manager away to carry me out by that point. Thank goodness it wasn't anymore serious! They have your ino from the reservation, making you fill out more paperwork is just uneeded, they'd already have a way to contact the group.

This is honestly a little frightening to me. I have a serotonin reaction so foods that release a lot are right out. I can have small amounts of dark greens, almonds, and OJ. No prob there, but even a little avocado or banana will have me in pain all night. I won't die, it just feels like being kicked in the stomach. So for nearly all my ADR's I said nothing. I'm not gonna order those things, it's not an issue. Except at Ohana, there I looked at the menu and the dessert has bananas in the sauce. So I put myself down as having an allergy. Thought maybe they could just not sauce my dessert. Now I'm scared I'll arrive and be forced to get things made for the top 8 allergies, of which I have none... and I'll miss out on the food I wanted to try. Should I just take it off my reservation and not eat dessert. I mean I can live without bread pudding... I was just hoping it would be an easy fix the bananas seem to only be in the sauce (I think...).

Personally, I would not have specified an allergy but when you got to the restaurant I'd let the wait staff know that you have an issue with bananas and you'd like one without sauce.

I think Disney strives to take responsibility. Perhaps a guest should research the menus before their trip and also at Guest Services in City Hall.
I just wanted to add the policy for the upcoming Mickeys Not So Scary. I have been to many and admit I did not realize there is a special teal colored treat bag to alert castmembers. They are available at Market Street, Liberty Square Ticket Office, Town Square Theatre . Guests will collect Teal Tokens at the treat locations to swap for allergy friendly treats later at Town Square Theatre or Liberty Square Ticket Office which is under the Muppets performance next to Hall of Presidents. The tokens are not required to receive these treats ...
City Hall is not a distribution location Reminder.
Have fun

I think rather than Disney becoming lax about food allergies, people with food allergies are becoming lax about personal responsibilty

Someone with a seafood allergy has no business at hibachi, Someone with a peanut allergy has no business at Ohana. It was not Chips Ahoy fault that a peanut allergic teen didn’t read the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup cookie package or notice the 25+ pictures of the candy on it.

I was on a flight where someone claimed a “severe peanut allergy” and had the audacity to ask every other person on the plane not to eat peanuts. LOL! We did not “acquiesce to this request” If the allergy is that severe you should not be flying, the plane will NEVER be safe and lately the trend seems to be just removing the person who expects this treatment from the flight. That is a step in the right direction.

I have an allergy myself, every day I make choices about the chances I will take and hope I make the right ones, if I don’t it is my fault. And yes of course companies have to protect themselves legally because idiots who can’t take responsibility for their choices will sue them if they get sick.

I'm allergic to shrimp (and I assume other seafood so I avoid it) but mine is purely gastrointestinal. Even so, I don't bother reporting it on reservations because they treat me like I have an anaphylaxis reaction. I just know I can't eat any. We eat hibachi several times a year and I have never had an issue nor has any seafood ever gotten onto my plate. I let them know when they take my order so they cook the seafood last. Even though that means people get their appetizer shrimp at the end, but no one has ever complained since they get mine and DH's portion. There are a lot of food allergies and it's hard to cater to everyone, but seafood is a very common one. So far we haven't gone to Hibachi at WDW or on cruise ships because they seem to be even more seafood centric than our local one.

All these stories have in common that Disney is indeed putting liability above guest experience. In fact, the whole "look over the menu" is putting the onus on the guest, instead of sharing it with the restaurant staff.

OP, I hope you do contact Disney and let them know the manager was blocking the door because she wanted you to sign papers *before* getting medical attention. I also hope you let them know how ridiculous it is for Disney to force you into the "allergy" dessert when the regular dessert didn't have any fish.

Disney talks a lot about industry standards. I don't have an allergy (more like intolerances), but I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that regular restaurants don't just hand you an allergy menu information without having a chef talk to you. And restaurants don't force you into the gluten free option because you have a fish allergy. What are your experiences at home? I think that should be mentioned to them too.

Experiences at home run the gamut...the best experience I ever had was Chick Fil A. Their registers (at least when I asked on a trip in TN) are set to print out the ingredients to each of their menu items (literally every one), and the person who took my order told me she would special label it and refund me if when I looked at the ingredients I found one I couldn't have. Now, I can't eat very much there, but I am very happy they took my needs seriously...and we have gone back to our own local chain and gotten similar experiences.

With a severe dairy intolerance (to all parts of dairy), I eat at a lot of Asian places when we got out (the most options), and the waiter/waitress will always check for me if something adds something that isn't in the "wikipedia-equivalent main recipe" for a dish. They never mind, and I haven't been sick this summer eating out.

At hotel free breakfasts is where it's been a big struggle - Residence Inn specifically told me that something had no milk (their oatmeal)...and after 2 days of eating it, I went from feeling subpar to violently sick...I left the hotel, went to TN, and instantly cleared up the next morning when I stuck to my own toast at breakfast. I had talked to the front desk and the people in the back...but I'm sure someone was contaminating it with a spoon that touched milk...or they were swirling something they thought was non-dairy but had dairy components (like non-dairy creamer or something, which does have dairy)...so, now, I skip hotel coffee (since I don't trust that their soy milk hasn't been similarly contaminated...and I don't drink black), I skip anything really but fruit and prepackaged PB (I had tea and fruit salad every morning when I was taking care of my mom at a hospital this summer, b/c I couldn't be sick, then)...

And I want to make one note about allergies and intolerances. Allergies are life effecting (aka, right at the instance) and intolerances are health effecting (aka - they will destroy your health in the longer term if ignored) - in the rapid build up of my intolerance this spring, I moved into "serious health issues" category all stemming from the as-yet undiagnosed severe intolerance. So, for many people, they are a huge deal. Ignoring them or downplaying them are the equivalent of telling someone it's okay to smoke cigarettes every day b/c it won't kill them that day.

PS - Colonial Williamsburg just lost a federal case for ignoring someone's severe food intolerance...so changes have happened in that court district regarding treating them with the seriousness they require (aka - now letting folks bring in their own food, etc)...Disney already lets you bring in food, so they were ahead of the game on this issue.

PPS - I also have to give a shout out to one cashier on McDonalds. We were traveling to my mom's and a MD cashier took my needs so seriously, she brought out my big mac no cheese herself, then came back 2 minutes later and made sure it was right. She was a gem, but that's not the "norm" from McD's:)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter