Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

Update to previous: I could not get the MB+ to charge continuously with either of two MyCharge power banks. It would charge for a couple of minutes and then stop. If I pushed the button on either bank, it would resume for another couple of minutes. Very odd. I have it charging on a laptop USB port now and that seems to be working. However, this seems to mean that I will not be able to charge it in the parks with my portable power bank should the need arise. Very annoying. I now have one of the MyCharge banks charging my mobile phone and that works fine. So, there is something wrong with the charging functionality of the MB+, at least the one I received.

I was making headway after realizing that my Android phone had to have NFC turned on. But after that was done, the phone still wouldn't recognize the MB+. I heard a beep and a buzz after tapping the band to the upper-middle of the back of the phone. But instead of moving forward with setup, MDE inexplicably returned to the "Link your band" screen as if nothing had happened. Just typing in the band's ID number also did nothing. On other attempts, I got a bug message that announced the app would have to close. Whatever this setup involves, Android is choking on it and I cannot figure out why. ☹️

We (husband and I) have an upcoming trip. We got the Magic Bands+ and have charged them. I have paired mine to my phone. Husband has My Disney Experience on his iPhone, but I have his ticket linked to my account.

I am going to be the Genie+ person, ILL person, etc. Can he pair his magic band to his phone even though his ticket is linked to me? When he tried to link his ticket on the MDE app, he gets the message, ticket already registered.

We (husband and I) have an upcoming trip. We got the Magic Bands+ and have charged them. I have paired mine to my phone. Husband has My Disney Experience on his iPhone, but I have his ticket linked to my account.

I am going to be the Genie+ person, ILL person, etc. Can he pair his magic band to his phone even though his ticket is linked to me? When he tried to link his ticket on the MDE app, he gets the message, ticket already registered.
If your husband is properly linked to your F&F list in your MDE, he should be able to see and manage his ticket in his MDE. If he can’t see his ticket in his MDE, my concern would be that there’s a problem with his linkage to your MDE F&F list.

I was making headway after realizing that my Android phone had to have NFC turned on. But after that was done, the phone still wouldn't recognize the MB+. I heard a beep and a buzz after tapping the band to the upper-middle of the back of the phone. But instead of moving forward with setup, MDE inexplicably returned to the "Link your band" screen as if nothing had happened. Just typing in the band's ID number also did nothing. On other attempts, I got a bug message that announced the app would have to close. Whatever this setup involves, Android is choking on it and I cannot figure out why. ☹️

You mention NFC being on, but you're phone's Bluetooth MUST be on too.

I have Android (Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra), and a pre-arrival band so it might be different than if you purchased via ShopDisney.com or a store on property...

After letting my band charge for a few hours...

I went into the Disney app on my phone, "hamburger menu" (aka 3 bar menu), and selected Magic Bands and More. Then tapped my name (since my son's account is managed by me and listed there). It showed my Partner 50th MagicBand+, and there was an option for Bluetooth with a PAIR button. I tapped PAIR button and just then followed the on screen directions and was all setup.

Update to previous: I could not get the MB+ to charge continuously with either of two MyCharge power banks. It would charge for a couple of minutes and then stop. If I pushed the button on either bank, it would resume for another couple of minutes. Very odd. I have it charging on a laptop USB port now and that seems to be working. However, this seems to mean that I will not be able to charge it in the parks with my portable power bank should the need arise. Very annoying. I now have one of the MyCharge banks charging my mobile phone and that works fine. So, there is something wrong with the charging functionality of the MB+, at least the one I received.
I noticed something similar with chargers...

I have 2 multiport desktop chargers that would NOT charge the MB+ bands. One from a company named Satechi which has 4 normal USB-A 2.4A/5V ports and 1 USB-A Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 port), the other from Tronsmart (has 5 USB-A Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 ports). And yes, I can charge 9 up to devices at my desk. I used to test phones and mobile apps for a living so I needed a large mix of devices at the ready.

My MagicBand+ will NOT charge in those chargers.

That being said, I also have a mix of Samsung, Anker and RAVPower wall chargers and Anker and RAVPower Power Banks that support standard USB-A (up to 2.4A/5V) and QC2.0 and QC3.0, some are multiport (5), some are dual port, and some are single port.

The Magicbands will charge just fine with these chargers and power banks.

Oh, and FYI... the bands, fully charged, left a week in their box are reporting "CHARGE SOON" in Red (no %) in the app, and a RED light when plugged into a charger.

IOh, and FYI... the bands, fully charged, left a week in their box are reporting "CHARGE SOON" in Red (no %) in the app, and a RED light when plugged into a charger.

A reminder: Magicband+’s are like other devices that will lose charge when left on. So remembering to turn off the Magicband while not in use will save the battery.

There are two ways to set people up.

Option 1: One "parent" account who manages all the other accounts. In MDE, I see them under Friends & Family but they say "account is managed by me". This is how our son is setup and my mom (they are listed under my MDE account as me managing them) In this scenario, my understanding is he could log into the Disney app on his phone using your credentials, and pair the band to his phone and go.

Option 2: Each person with their own, individual MDE account, and therefore their own sign in. Like my wife has her sign in under her email and I have mine. When we look at each other under Friends and Family, I just see her name and age, it doesn't say "managed by me" and she controls everything on her account.

Depending on how you are setup, that could impact Ticket, Room (if a Disney resort reservation) and MagicBand assignment/usage beyond just pairing the MB+ with your phone. If you have a mix of option 1 and Option 2, like his band is assigned to the "managed" account under you, but you want them on his individual account, Disney will have to fix that for you.

A reminder: Magicband+’s are like other devices that will lose charge when left on. So remembering to turn off the Magicband while not in use will save the battery.
I get that, but how do you turn them off? because I tapped the button on the back (which turned them on), but apparently that didn't work to turn them off.

You mention NFC being on, but you're phone's Bluetooth MUST be on too.

I have Android (Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra), and a pre-arrival band so it might be different than if you purchased via ShopDisney.com or a store on property...

After letting my band charge for a few hours...

I went into the Disney app on my phone, "hamburger menu" (aka 3 bar menu), and selected Magic Bands and More. Then tapped my name (since my son's account is managed by me and listed there). It showed my Partner 50th MagicBand+, and there was an option for Bluetooth with a PAIR button. I tapped PAIR button and just then followed the on screen directions and was all setup.
Thank you. I have tried every combination of tactics I can think of: Bluetooth on, NFC on, both on (as you said), rebooting the phone, deleting and reinstalling MDE, factory-resetting the band.... Nothing works. When I visit "Magic Bands and More" within MDE, my two prior-generation MB are there but the new MB+ never shows up. It is especially odd because the tap-to-the-back thing does cause the MB+ to beep and vibrate, so something is obviously happening and I was getting my hopes up, but it never proceeds beyond that.

to anyone that is having trouble pairing their Magicband+ to their phones ( phone says paired but still doesn’t work)

To do the hard reset on the Magicband+:

Press power and release.
Press again and hold for 15 seconds and release. It should glow rainbow then green.

Then try pairing it again.

This is what my friend who talked to tech support told him to do.

Also removing the MDE app off your phone then re-downloading it can help.

My Dad and I leave in one week for WDW. The reservation is under my MDE account and I can see him. I am trying to link an old Magic Band of his to my account (I know it is his because it has his name on it). When I try, I get the error "Please double check the ID number on your ticket or pass. If you are attempting to link a Main Entrance Pass or reusable Guest Pass, unfortunately we are not yet able to link your pass type. We'll share more information about how to link your passes later."

I can't get any further. Any thoughts on what I could be missing or another way to link the band to MDE?

Thanks in advance.

My Dad and I leave in one week for WDW. The reservation is under my MDE account and I can see him. I am trying to link an old Magic Band of his to my account (I know it is his because it has his name on it). When I try, I get the error "Please double check the ID number on your ticket or pass. If you are attempting to link a Main Entrance Pass or reusable Guest Pass, unfortunately we are not yet able to link your pass type. We'll share more information about how to link your passes later."

I can't get any further. Any thoughts on what I could be missing or another way to link the band to MDE?

Thanks in advance.
If it’s an old band with his name in it, it must be already linked to him.

If you manage his profile in your MDE, you should be able to look up his Magic Bands and Cards, find the MB number, and make sure it’s Active. Then he’s good to go. If he has his own MDE account, or if his profile is managed by someone else’s MDE account, do the same thing by looking up his Magic Bands and Cards under his profile there.

For that MB to open his resort room door or to use Genie+LL or ILL$ or VQ you book on this upcoming trip, his MDE profile that’s linked to that MB needs to be the same MDE profile that’s in your F&F list and linked to the resort reservation.

Last edited:
For that MB to open his resort room door or to use Genie+LL or ILL$ or VQ you book on this upcoming trip, his MDE profile that’s linked to that MB needs to be the same MDE profile that’s in your F&F list and linked to the resort reservation.
Thank you, I think this was it. It looks like he has multiple profiles set up and the profile in my F&F list is different than the one linked to the magic band.

Thank you, I think this was it. It looks like he has multiple profiles set up and the profile in my F&F list is different than the one linked to the magic band.
UH-oh! If you can't straighten out the profiles, so that the one in your F&F list is the one associated with his MB, then that MB won't work for anything you set up via your MDE (G+LL, VQ, ILL$, opening Disney resort room door, charging to Disney resort room account).

An easy solution would be to buy him a new MB (doesn't need to be the new MB+, can be the MB2) and link that new one to the profile that's in your F&F list. Or you can call Disney MB support at 407-939-4357 and ask them to straighten out the various profiles. If he has multiple profiles, though, that might be difficult for even them to do!

Well, this was an unexpected outcome....I emailed a request to return my MB+, despite the no-returns policy for this product, given that it cannot be linked to my Android phone.

Not only was this granted, but the ShopDisney person said to keep the band (!?). I was fully prepared to pack it up and return it and had no objection to covering that cost. Something tells me I might not have been the first customer to express dissatisfaction with this product.

Yes, the 2014 MBs will still work for anything that involves tapping Mickey to Mickey - tapping into a park, entering a Genie+LL, ILL$ or VQ, opening a Disney resort room door, and charging to a Disney resort account. They may or may not (probably won’t) work long distance to link ride photos to your MDE account, but if you have your MDE account connected to Bluetooth on your phone, the photos should link that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter