Discovering DVC timandlesley style-A PTR, 19 days TRIP REPORT LINK PG.119!!!!!

O.K, so for those of you who followed our last trip report you realized in reading this one that I left out a wonderful member of our family. We have a New Golden Retreiver Puppy (5 1/2 months old now) named Mickey. Here is a picture of him the week we got him:
S5003637Small.jpg

We fell in love with him instantly and then two months after having him when he was just 4 months old he fell down our basement stairs and FRACTURED HIS HIP BONE! I couldn't believe it. I had paid really good money for him through an outstanding breeder, Jenny Zoll(if anyone is looking for a Golden in the Ohio area, really, she is amazing: here is her website:http://www.jrsgoldenangels.com/ - she even took up a collection for Mickey when she heard about what happened and sent us a HUGE check,we couldn't believe it!!!
So anyway, he fractured his hip bone and we had to pay 1800!!! in surgery to fix it (they put pins in it). Here is the poor guy on cage rest after the surgery:
10-10-08007.jpg

pathetic isn't he.
Well I am VERY happy to report that he went back for his final check up right before Halloween and the x-rays turned out fabulous and he is as good as new.
For those of you who requested a new pic, here is one for ya, getting HUGE:
sundaynightfun008Small.jpg

So there is your Mickey update, we love him dearly and he is a wonderful part of our family (when he isn't stealing our socks or tearing up our toilet paper : )
Lesley

Hey Lesley! From what I have read, the refillable station is open the same hours that the pool is open!

So........ we purchased AKL Kadini village:yay:
animalkingdomlodgevillas.jpg

and were so excited at our purchase upon seeing so many pictures online and everything of the interactive water play area, etc. they will have. ALTHOUGH, after a LOT of reserach online we found out they will NOT have a counterservice restaraunt at all so that was a bummer for us. Also with construction still going on, we have decided to stay at JAMBO HOUSE on our first AKL visit. We plan on touring Kadani and swimming in the pool, just not staying there to be close to food our first time around - boy do we sound food driven :rotfl: We originally booked 7 nights Savannah view for our AKL portion of the trip:woohoo: but after doing a lot of thinking and research I found that standard view rooms at AKL Jambo ALL face the pool, we love pool view, AND saving points, after MORE research I realized if we downgraded our AKL portion of our stay to 6 nights AND standard view we would have enough points for TIM AND I TO GO ON OUR FIRST EVER ADULTS ONLY TRIP IN NOVEMBER FOR FOOD AND WINE FESTIVAL:banana: :yay: :dance3: :cheer2: which I have ALWAYS wanted to do. :lovestruc Not only will we have enough points for two weekend nights, but two weekend nights CONCIERGE at AKL Jambo house, can't wait for that!
Anyway, back to this trip. So I have officially booked June 22-28th AKL Jambo studio standard view for the first 6 nights of our trip. Our booking window to use our developer points opens up on November 28th and I'll be on the phones bright and early.
THIS IS WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP!
It is our first visit to Saratoga Springs. We are going back and forth after checking out the map:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/Saratoga.htm
between the Grandstand and Springs. As you can tell, we are food driven, our favorite parts of resorts are the swimming pools (both kids love slides and interactive water play areas), proximity to the restaraunts, counterservice and mug refill stations. Buses are important, don't get me wrong, that's why we chose Port Orleans French Quarter over Riverside but I want to know from those who have stayed at Grandstand, LEVEL WITH ME, HOW IS THE TRANSPORTATION?? Also, knowing it is our first ever DVC stay, do requests even get granted often?? :confused3
Any help will be much appreciated.
I need to make this decision before November 28th, so help me!
Also, I have pretty much decided that we will be doing deluxe dining for the AKL portion of our stay, then switching to reg. dining plan the SSR portion of our stay (still using those deluxe credits that first day at SSR). I haven't even begun planning dining yet (GASP) I know, not my normal style, so you will go through that planning with me as well.
Again, thanks for reading and helping us out. Looking for advice from your Saratoga Springs Veterans. Also, any who have stayed at AKL Jambo that want to chime in, get us excited, give us tips, etc. cause we are newbies there too!:thumbsup2
Thanks!

yay that mickey is doing better!!!!!! :yay: i'm so glad to hear it. it's so hard to see the doggies sick because you can't explain to them that they'll get better.

and yay for food and wine festival next year!!!! that's something i will do in the near future too. ray and i would LOVE it, i'm sure!

i've never stayed in the grandstand or the springs, but i will tell you that if i remember correctly, the bus pickup schedule started at the grandstand, then came back around to the carousel, the paddock, congress park and then to the springs. i think as far as walking distances to the main pool area and the carriage house you'd be good with the springs (obviously) or the grandstand or congress park. we stayed in a building in congress park to the far right on that map and i'm tellign you it honestly took me less than 10 minutes to talk to the main pool area. i looked on the times i took my pictures the morning i walked around with my camera taking pictures of the resort. it's not bad at all! and i'm sure the grandstand would be about the same distance.

just FYI - i rented points when we stayed here and the DVC member i rented from put in a request for me for congress park. when we checked in, they were gonna put us in the carousel. i asked if there was anything in congress park and she said there wasn't anything right then, but there would be later that day and we opted to wait (we were going to AK anyway). so if you don't get what you want, ask for it again!

Lesley, I am cracking up:rotfl: Our ressies are opposite and we too decided to downgrade to a standard view studio at Jambo! We check in on 7/1! I hope we get your room at least then we will know who was their before us!! You will love AKL, we stayed there last year for 10 days and it is AMAZING!!!:thumbsup2

I agree.
And even though HIgh Rock Springs has the slide, I still liked the Grandstand pool better.

My first choice is Grandstand, second Congress Park (for the DTD view) and third would be The Springs probably. We've never stayed in The Springs but can imagine that the location would be pretty sweet. We liked the Paddock, though, too. But if we had to take the buses daily, I probably wouldn't like the Paddock.

Overall, I'd recommend the Grandstand.

One of the things about Grandstand that I liked too, was that there is a refillable mug drink station at the quiet pool too! We liked the Springs section too but in the end the bus situation sealed the deal. :goodvibes

:banana: :banana: A you and Tim only trip:love: :love: :love: That is awesome! Mickey is gorgeous:dogdance: I bet the kids have so much fun with him.

Lesley, to answer your question. We are going back to the SOG next month. Our dream trip was Christmas time at WL of course, but between price and room space I had to go back to the SOG. But, you know we will visit WL definitely can't miss it at Christmas:santa: Also, a big thing for us is we are a family of five now and I don't think we could have fit in a regular room there:guilty: Thanks for asking:)

I've followed your TRs the last 2 years. Looking forward to your long DVC stay. Can't wait for Tim's craziness. I have family in Ohio too. They are in Mason, and speak of Kings Island too, so when you've spoken of things there it makes me think of them... they are the Palmisano's & D'Tuillio's.

I'm going to SSR for :santa: trip. I'm under 2 weeks now. :banana: : , I've requested Grandstand or Congress Park. I really don't know alot about the resort. This trip came together very quickly.

I'll give you my opinions of SSR when we get back and let you know if we get our request. It's a beautiful resort, I've only stayed at value places up to this and we loved those. I'm so crazy excited to take in all the holiday happenings.
Thanks for sharing with all of us and I look forward to the ride.:)

Lesley, why did you choose Saratoga Springs? Just curious :) You are going to love AKL!!! My brother and I stayed there in August and we got upgraded from Standard View to Savannah! (With construction) No matter the view, the lodge is BEAUTIFUL!!! And amazing to be a part of. You literally feel special standing waiting for the buses. As people go by you'll silently go "yeah thats right im staying HERE"

yay that mickey is doing better!!!!!! :yay: i'm so glad to hear it. it's so hard to see the doggies sick because you can't explain to them that they'll get better.

and yay for food and wine festival next year!!!! that's something i will do in the near future too. ray and i would LOVE it, i'm sure!

i've never stayed in the grandstand or the springs, but i will tell you that if i remember correctly, the bus pickup schedule started at the grandstand, then came back around to the carousel, the paddock, congress park and then to the springs. i think as far as walking distances to the main pool area and the carriage house you'd be good with the springs (obviously) or the grandstand or congress park. we stayed in a building in congress park to the far right on that map and i'm tellign you it honestly took me less than 10 minutes to talk to the main pool area. i looked on the times i took my pictures the morning i walked around with my camera taking pictures of the resort. it's not bad at all! and i'm sure the grandstand would be about the same distance.

just FYI - i rented points when we stayed here and the DVC member i rented from put in a request for me for congress park. when we checked in, they were gonna put us in the carousel. i asked if there was anything in congress park and she said there wasn't anything right then, but there would be later that day and we opted to wait (we were going to AK anyway). so if you don't get what you want, ask for it again!
Thanks for the information. I am leaning more towards Grandstand just due to the busing but hope it isn't a huge hike to Springs. I think I'll put first choice Grandstand, second choice springs and just see what happens.
Thanks for the advice of what to do if they don't give us our request. We won't have a car so I want to be in a good location, especially since the majority of our days will be there.
Yes, it is so nice having Mickey better, I felt soooooo sorry for him, nice to have our happy healthy boy back!
Lesley

Lesley, I am cracking up:rotfl: Our ressies are opposite and we too decided to downgrade to a standard view studio at Jambo! We check in on 7/1! I hope we get your room at least then we will know who was their before us!! You will love AKL, we stayed there last year for 10 days and it is AMAZING!!!:thumbsup2
That is too funny! Great minds think alike!!! What are you requesting for SSR?

Lesley, I just found this thread, it might help you...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2008358
Thanks, definitely has me leaning more towards Grandstand after reading this, I don't want to be in Springs and get passed up by a bus. What are you guys doing? I'm thinking: first choice Grandstand, second choice Springs.:confused3
Lesley

I agree.
And even though HIgh Rock Springs has the slide, I still liked the Grandstand pool better.

My first choice is Grandstand, second Congress Park (for the DTD view) and third would be The Springs probably. We've never stayed in The Springs but can imagine that the location would be pretty sweet. We liked the Paddock, though, too. But if we had to take the buses daily, I probably wouldn't like the Paddock.

Overall, I'd recommend the Grandstand.
Good to know the Grandstand pool is good, we do love to swim, especially in the June/July heat!
Lesley

:banana: :banana: A you and Tim only trip:love: :love: :love: That is awesome! Mickey is gorgeous:dogdance: I bet the kids have so much fun with him.

Lesley, to answer your question. We are going back to the SOG next month. Our dream trip was Christmas time at WL of course, but between price and room space I had to go back to the SOG. But, you know we will visit WL definitely can't miss it at Christmas:santa: Also, a big thing for us is we are a family of five now and I don't think we could have fit in a regular room there:guilty: Thanks for asking:)
I know, we are so excited for our adults only trip. Glad you enjoyed the Mickey pics, he is a cute pup. Christmas will be fun, hope you have a GREAT time! It would be hard being a family of 5. Have you ever considered the cabins since they are in the moderate category now?
Lesley

Ahh, Mickey is adorable! I'm glad he's on the mend. :)
Glad you enjoyed the pics!
I've followed your TRs the last 2 years. Looking forward to your long DVC stay. Can't wait for Tim's craziness. I have family in Ohio too. They are in Mason, and speak of Kings Island too, so when you've spoken of things there it makes me think of them... they are the Palmisano's & D'Tuillio's.

I'm going to SSR for :santa: trip. I'm under 2 weeks now. :banana: : , I've requested Grandstand or Congress Park. I really don't know alot about the resort. This trip came together very quickly.

I'll give you my opinions of SSR when we get back and let you know if we get our request. It's a beautiful resort, I've only stayed at value places up to this and we loved those. I'm so crazy excited to take in all the holiday happenings.
Thanks for sharing with all of us and I look forward to the ride.:)
Wow, what a small world. I had Alli D'Tullio in my class several years ago, small small world! Let me know what you think of it, should be fun during the holidays!
Lesley

Lesley, why did you choose Saratoga Springs? Just curious :) You are going to love AKL!!! My brother and I stayed there in August and we got upgraded from Standard View to Savannah! (With construction) No matter the view, the lodge is BEAUTIFUL!!! And amazing to be a part of. You literally feel special standing waiting for the buses. As people go by you'll silently go "yeah thats right im staying HERE"
We HAD to go with Saratoga Springs because that is where our developer points were good for, so really the only choice for us. We can't wait to stay at AKL, should be awesome- I've heard nothing but positives!
Ohhh, ohhhh I am on board! Love your trippies! Tim is still looking good with the weight loss! :woohoo:
So glad to have you along. He lost another 9 pounds this week, he is doing awesome!
Lesley

I am glad to find your PTR, after reading the last one. We will be at AKL June 15-22, so we will check out as you check in!!! This will be our first trip in the summer time and I am already scared of the crowds. I'll be reading about your plans as I plan our trip. Some day we will go for a 2 week trip, can't wait!!!

Any tips for the 4th?? We've never been, sure it is a MOB SCENE!!!
Lesley

WELCOME!!!

Lesley

The last time I was there on the 4th, it was when I worked there in 2000, so I am blanking at the moment.

But I did find some info regarding this pas July events for the 4th:

Magic Kingdom

A Fourth of July "Concert in the Sky" will light up the night at Magic Kingdom in honor of Independence Day. Featuring a magnificent display of aerial fireworks, dazzling pyrotechnic effects and dynamic music, the show, entitled "Disney's Celebrate America!-A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky," is a grand tribute to the United States, its people and traditions.

The special show is scheduled for 9 p.m. Magic Kingdom also will feature two performances of the "SpectroMagic" nighttime parade, first at 10:30 p.m. and then again at 12:30 a.m. that same night.

-- A holiday-inspired finale will be added to Epcot's nightly fireworks extravaganza, "Illuminations: Reflections of Earth." The park's American Adventure pavilion also will feature enhanced entertainment throughout the day, with visits from historic characters who will share their stories. American Adventure also will feature additional performances of its signature musical group, Voices of Liberty, performing patriotic classics. Illuminations begins at 10:00pm

Voices of Liberty will be performing at 12:30, 1:45 and 3 pm.

-- Disney's Hollywood Studios will present a special July 4th fireworks show at 9 p.m., with skyrockets and patriotic music filling the air at the showbiz-themed park.

The park's popular "Fantasmic!" show, featuring fireworks, animation, dancing waters and Disney characters, will be presented on July 4 at 10:30 p.m.

-- Downtown Disney will present July 4th fireworks at 10:30 p.m. for the revelers, shoppers and diners enjoying the nighttime entertainment district.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Which WDW Park Do You Recommend for
4th of July Fireworks!"

Here's what they had to say.....

Overwhelming (67%), folks voted for watching WISHES at the Magic Kingdom as their favorite place at WDW to celebrate the July 4th Fireworks displays. Epcot received 24% of the vote and with the remaining 9% split between the Disney's Hollywood Studios, Downtown Disney and other! The 67% was split between actually being in the Magic Kingdom (55%) or being at one of the MK resorts (11%). These results are fairly consistent with the survey we ran several years ago (before Wishes) when 60% voted for the Magic Kingdom and 30% voted for Epcot.

Magic Kingdom

Our readers report the best place to watch WISHES is from Main Street. Here are some other ideas, a bit off the beaten path:

From the Dumbo ride....preferably on Dumbo!!

Outside The Plaza restaurant.

In front of Splash Mountain, there's a opening you can see them clearly!

Tomorrowland.... on the bridge...

Walkway between the Central Hub in front of the Castle and Tomorrowland

The rose garden if you can get there, it just seems "all American"

On one of those benches by the riverboat on the Rivers of America. I chose this park because it is the most beautiful at night.

Bridge from the central hub to Tomorrow Land. 4th of July is an American celebration and Main Street in MK is Smalltown, USA.

From the gallows at Liberty Square. The reason? Every land at the MK is a piece of Americana is one form or another, perfect for the 4th of July. The gallows at Liberty Square I found give a great view to the fireworks, and was a place to sit to boot.

On Main Street, but not at the hub; further up the street by the ice cream parlor. You are able to enjoy the 360 degree fireworks and get great photo and video shots! Try to stand where in the first row after the street path the cast members tape off that way people's heads aren't directly in front of you.

and there's always the Grand One Yacht on Bay Lake!

From the monorail as it circles the Seven Seas Lagoon. Great views of the entire fireworks display!

or the Beach at one of the Magic Kingdom resorts (Polynesian, Grand Floridan, Wilderness Lodge, Ft. Wilderness or Contemporary)!
When asked WHY WISHES you said:

Magic Kindgom is just the place to be. It is where it all started. The castle is so beautiful and just standing anywhere along the paths with a Dole Whip to cool off the warm summer night is the best.

Fireworks behind Cinderella Castle are absolutely iconic, and the 4th is the biggest fireworks day of all! What could be more American (other than being in DC or Philly)?

We like MK because of its atmosphere!!!! there is nothing like it. Sure it's packed but that is part of the fun. Our favorite spot is toontown. The crowds are little less and the fireworks feel like they are right over us!!!!

I pick MK because the new Wishes fireworks with the music makes the entire event more "magical/special feeling" then the other parks And, you can watch the Castle change colors and if you look to your right, high above you can see Tinkerbell fly over too if you are up close too...

So glad Mickey is okay

He is so stinking cute. :goodvibes

If you think the kids would prefer the pool with a slide, ask for Springs. If you think they'd enjoy the horse squirters then go for Grandstand. GS looks far away from everythign but it took me no longer than 5 minutes to walk up to the Carriage House from our unit. 7 minutes from our unit to the boat launch to DTD. The Springs doesn't have its own pool but is right across from the main pool. Both are great locations, IMO and you won't go wrong either way.

I really cannot speak to the bus system since we rent a car. So perhaps examining the buses will be a deal breaker.

We loved the Grandstand, and my niece and nephew didn't even notice the main pool until the day we were leaving, then it was "hey! why didn't we go there?" :lmao: My DSIS and I enjoyed the small pool and the bar right next to it so we could keep an eye on the kids while having our adult beverages. The kids loved the squirt gun area

MasonMay2007DisneyVacationJune20-60.jpg

Grandstand is the first bus stop coming and going :banana: It is also the newest - just finished in 2007.

There's lots of information on the SSR Lover's thread - lots of pics, too!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1329308

I'm baaacccckkk!!! I can't wait to live out my disney dreams through you guys! Since moving back to Ohio we have been living on one income, (my Ohio license expired while we were in NC) so no Disney trip this year. :sad2:

But, I am super happy for you guys and can't wait to hear about both resorts. I have wanted to stay at both at some point, but chose other places for discount reasons and what not. Can't wait to read all of your plans. Take care and enjoy the holidays. :cheer2:

Lesley, we stayed at the Springs on our only trip to SSR in November 07, and I would recommend that for the proximity to the pool and the CS restaurant. We never had to stand on a bus, but we were there at a slower time. I just don't know how far the Grandstand is from the main hub for the restaurants. It might be great to stay there for the ease with the buses---you will probably feel like you are on the bus forever on the way to the parks---there are so many stops in SSR. We enjoyed our stay there, but DEFINITELY felt the worst part of that resort was the bus situation. I will wish you lots of luck!!!!

The TS restaurant there---Turf Club Bar and Grille is VERY good!!!!! I highly recommend it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter