Disboutiquers Part 28 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

003-2.jpg
004-1.jpg

Start of the Fairy Series:

007-1.jpg
008-2.jpg

Some of the charmers or danglers I did:

016.jpg
019.jpg

018.jpg

These are just precious! I adore the danglers, how creative and unique!!:goodvibes

Amazing... you are doing an awesome job. Didn't you say you had never really sewn. That cape is just adorable and looks like it must have taken alot of time.

Yes, I think on my 4th week of sewing, I'm still stuck on making button holes but discovered I am pretty good at getting snaps on and doing things with elastic or straight stitching. My seams aren't the prettiest and the princess dress was way to big and so I pulled it in once and it looked stupid so I had to rip it up and do it again.

The cape was fairly easy, way easier than I thought. I did mess up the arm slits and they are different sizes. I may try to fix them this week. I know right where I screwed up so we'll see. My kids have no school this week so we'll be home and I don't know how much sewing I'll get done but I'm gonna try. The kids are old enough to entertain themselves for the most part and we have plans for the other days.

I figure I'd better work hard because I have a lot to work up to, judging from some of these pictures on here, and a whole lot to learn more.

The skirt is super pretty! And of course it's serger fail -- never operator error. Not that I speak from experience :rolleyes1, but if it were a busier print it would be easier to fix. If it were a school themed print that was almost patchwork like with different scenes one could cut out an entire panel of the patch and sew it in and no one would be the wiser. Especially if it were a dark background like black. It would be hidden so well that you wouldn't even notice it while ironing the dress (of course I'm just assuming all this since I NEVER would have done something like this myself).

How bout trying to iron on a patch of fabric with heat and bond on the reverse side of the print (inside of the skirt). Sew it down and then you'd likely have to add something over that part of the skirt to cover it like ricrac, some sort of trim, an applique. It depends where it is on the skirt as to what to use to cover it.

:headache: Where on the skirt is it? Can you put a Donald applique over it?
The skirt is too cute not to try to fix it.

fuse a patch under it and perhaps top it with some sort of little applique

This skirt is adorable! I can't think of EVER having done that! :rolleyes1 You must be the first. Where is the cut at? I'd patch it from the back with some heat and bond, fray check on the top. Can you applique? Maybe a flower like on Minnies hat, in a couple of different places so it doesn't look like it's out of place. Does that make sense? :confused:

HA HA HA, glad to know I'm in good company here! :lmao: Okay, so the cut is actually right next to the side seam in the back. Following all your suggestions, I used a small bit of lightweight fusible interfacing to "patch" the area. I don't have any fray check, but I will pick some up the next time I'm at the fabric store. Since it's in such a goofy spot, I don't think I can make an applique look good there, but I might experiment later with some ideas. I can easily untie the sash and tie it on the opposite side, making the current front the back and switching the cut part to the front of the skirt..... hmmmm....*wheels in head turning*

Thanks ladies! I knew you all would know how to help! :goodvibes

No ideas on the Donald Skirt but you must figure out a way to fix it, it is too adorable.

Todays project is to do a snow white shirt and cut out an order.

Thank you and I hope you are able to make good progress on your projects.

I agree, some sort of patch under it and possibly an applique over the top... That skirt is TDF and I love it - but you know how I feel about Donald. :lovestruc

D~

Oh D~, I feel that I owe the credit for the inspiration for this skirt completely to YOU and your wonderful Donald creations. I know I took a cue from your fabric choices when picking out mine, so THANK YOU!!!:worship:

Sunshine

There's so much posted on this board - I can only hope I haven't forgotten anyone. Forgive me if I have. Everything has been such a delight to see!

I need some prayers please!

Prayers sent.
I finally finished Natalie's Ariel dress and finally got photos today. The appliques were made by our very own Diane. I hope she feels that I did them justice! :) I am going to add some more snaps to the top of the apron band to hold the apron up where it should be better. The headband is a tad too small also and comes off of her since it's tight after 10 minutes of wear. I need to redo it somehow.

She loves it though! When she saw me coming with it, she couldn't get her clothes off fast enough to get it on. :goodvibes She loves looking at the frill on the front and saying "Pretty!". :love:

538524_3784316012375_1411243722_33465070_1024961686_n.jpg

:worship: Simply Amazing!
After I booked our DDs 5th birthday trip for November, I decided that I should get back into sewing/start to learn how to sew...:rolleyes1

I decided to try a new to me pattern since all I had been brave enough to do in the past was a pillowcase dress and a twirly skirt pattern that I just sort of made up/limped my way through making. I didn't want to use any of the Disney fabric I had in case I messed up horribly, so I found some cheap fabric (that I still liked in case the dress worked out). After working on it all day and into the night on and off here is the result:

007.jpg

010.jpg

I am overall pretty happy with how it came out except for the fact that the 2 yoke pieces are not even width at all (clearly I didn't use an equal seam allowance on each), and I am still too scared to make button holes on my machine so the buttons are actually just decorative with snaps actually holding the dress on!

Love this dress! Did you use a tutorial?

523808_289669077778572_107331732678975_670222_1671469181_n.jpg

well i actually got something made and i posted on here i often lurk but post once in a while

Lovely!
I did a bunch of shirts for someone. But thought you'd like to see Merida. She wanted to use a damask napkin and it makes her hair look curly (so we thought):

001-2.jpg

Then I was working on my Princess Aprons. They aren't totally done, as some of them need the little "charmers" hanging on them:

022.jpg
Love Merida and the Princess aprons! I can't wait to see Brave!

389291_2852769173029_1673532524_1685994_308519577_n.jpg

582152_2852770653066_1673532524_1685995_1354772378_n.jpg

A dress I made from a vintage 1972 pattern and matching cape. Color is teal and brown.

535827_2852776573214_1673532524_1686000_1648246474_n.jpg

529192_2852778813270_1673532524_1686002_2072592727_n.jpg
Love your creations!

I am sooo excited I had to come and share with you ladies, I got a "new to me" sewing table today! :cool1: My husband is going to do some light sanding and painting on it, then it gets put in the house and I have a designated place to sew. ::yes:: You heard me right ladies, a designated place to sew! I get to move away from the kitchen table, which I never get to use thanks to those pesky kids of mine, and have a place just for me to sew. My new year goal of sewing once a week may actually come true now. I had to share with someone and who better than you lovely talented ladies and a gent or two. :yay:

I am so looking forward to having a dedicated sewing place. I am hoping that once we move to a 3 bedroom apt, I will be able to carve out a little corner of our bedroom to have my machine and a sewing table set up. That way I will be able to do more sewing (so I tell myself).

I have some exciting news - my cousin is sending me a serger! My Aunt, who was a seamstress, was recently moved to a seniors' home and so my cousin has been rehousing my Aunt's sewing machines (she had 8 all told). I have no idea what it is or when it will get here, but I'm so happy! :banana::banana::banana:
I just have to figure out how it works once it gets here!

:wave2: All!

I was getting ready to sew some pillowcases for Give Kids the World and realized it's been so long since I made any that I have to go back and find the directions. I knew just where to look!

I continue to be amazed, impressed and especially inspired by all that is posted. I haven't done much sewing because it's so dang cold in my basement, but I've had the fabric for the pillowcases for a very long time so I'll risk frostbite and get 'em done.

Dorrrine and Ginger say 'hi'.

Oh D~, I feel that I owe the credit for the inspiration for this skirt completely to YOU and your wonderful Donald creations. I know I took a cue from your fabric choices when picking out mine, so THANK YOU!!!:worship:

Sunshine

Awww... Thanks Sunny!!! :hug: You are doing such an awesome job!

I was getting ready to sew some pillowcases for Give Kids the World and realized it's been so long since I made any that I have to go back and find the directions. I knew just where to look!

I continue to be amazed, impressed and especially inspired by all that is posted. I haven't done much sewing because it's so dang cold in my basement, but I've had the fabric for the pillowcases for a very long time so I'll risk frostbite and get 'em done.

OMG!!! IT's Cheryl!!!! We devoted a whole 3 pages of my TR to you and speculation about where you were hiding... We've missed you!!! :rolleyes1 The Dis just isn't the same with you you, frostbite or no frostbite - it doesn't matter to us!

Hi back to Dorrrine and Ginger... I hope they're staying out of trouble! popcorn::

D~

:lmao: I wish you could come. Our boys would have a great time and DH is has always wanted someone to play golf when we are there, so we could get the hubbies together and we can go to the park.

Maybe one day, right? :)

I
Oh drat! Well, I hope you come back and post what you HAVE been working on because I always enjoy seeing your projects.

Aw! Thank you! I'll post a few at the end here. . .

Cheryl!!!! Where have you been? Well, I guess we know where you WEREN'T hiding . . .in your basement!!!!!! :rotfl2:

So, as promised, here are some of the things I've been working on . . .

68874458-1.jpg

Okay - now I'm off to stitch out the Avenger cuties I bought from JustPeachy so I can figure out how I'm going to make an outfit for Finn (he's super obsessed with superheroes!) . . .

Goodness this thread moves so fast! Everything posted over the last day or so looks great.

Quick question, I've had a problem since day one with my bobbin stitch almost unthreading the fabric .. making pulls so small white strings and loops come out of the fabric (but the thread is blue). It doesn't happen on the topstitch, just the bottom. I cursed on the plain blue bowling shirt fabic thinking the fabric was too thin and tempermental. I'm working on an ariel dress and its all been great... except the blasted hem. The topstitch isn't the one seen, its teh bobbin stitch and while no one else will notice it, I see pulls in the fabric. There's a small spur on the bottom of my needle that I just noticed so I changed the needle... but could this be teh cause or should I be looking somewhere else. Its not tension. I've played endlessly with that over the past week. If it is the needle, about how often should I change the needle so that doesn't happen again? Oh, and I have two kinds of needles... a sharp and ball point... what's the difference? The one with the spur was a ball point... I bought sharps to do the elastic in this dress.... does it really matter which I use? If you can believe it, the girls at the fabric store didn't know the difference :confused3 (both are 14/90)

Tons of prayers for your family!

I finally finished Natalie's Ariel dress and finally got photos today. The appliques were made by our very own Diane. I hope she feels that I did them justice! :) I am going to add some more snaps to the top of the apron band to hold the apron up where it should be better. The headband is a tad too small also and comes off of her since it's tight after 10 minutes of wear. I need to redo it somehow.

She loves it though! When she saw me coming with it, she couldn't get her clothes off fast enough to get it on. :goodvibes She loves looking at the frill on the front and saying "Pretty!". :love:

36536_3784316452386_1411243722_33465071_2113100732_n.jpg

561274_3784316612390_1411243722_33465072_1300130343_n.jpg

546694_3784317012400_1411243722_33465073_1861239859_n.jpg

561352_3784318852446_1411243722_33465077_1519023691_n.jpg

I haven't posted in a while but when I saw this I had to say OMG! This is BEAUTIFUL! I love all the work on that bodice and the ruffles and the flowers...it is just amazing!

tons of prayers for your family!

I've missed you all and see that you've all been very busy sewing! I've finally gotten to sew a little this week, but we've had several illnesses in the house, work, overtime, etc...all dragging me away from my machine and this thread.

I've seen sooooo much that i love, but i can't comment on it all. There has been lots of inspiration posted lately.

I finally finished natalie's ariel dress and finally got photos today. The appliques were made by our very own diane. I hope she feels that i did them justice! :) i am going to add some more snaps to the top of the apron band to hold the apron up where it should be better. The headband is a tad too small also and comes off of her since it's tight after 10 minutes of wear. I need to redo it somehow.

She loves it though! When she saw me coming with it, she couldn't get her clothes off fast enough to get it on. :goodvibes she loves looking at the frill on the front and saying "pretty!". :love:

36536_3784316452386_1411243722_33465071_2113100732_n.jpg

561274_3784316612390_1411243722_33465072_1300130343_n.jpg

546694_3784317012400_1411243722_33465073_1861239859_n.jpg

561352_3784318852446_1411243722_33465077_1519023691_n.jpg
i love everything about that dress!!! Just perfect an that sweet lil girl and her pretty smile!!!

Thanks for letting me know. I stitched out Jonathon, Brian and Amy just to see sizing and make sure the letter placement was okay. Christopher was too long for the hoop so I downsized it a bit and I was worried it was going to be too tight to the hoop and look wonky size wise compared to the others.

Christopher was a 3T so we used a 4x4 Mickey head so the lettering works just fine given his size in comparison to the others. I just have 3 left to do -- Amy, Jake and Brian. But I have no clue when I'll get them done -- I'm really swamped until the second week of May.

Who are you?

68874458-1.jpg

Okay - now I'm off to stitch out the Avenger cuties I bought from JustPeachy so I can figure out how I'm going to make an outfit for Finn (he's super obsessed with superheroes!) . . .
Fabulous!!!! And Amy bought an applique design from JP and her stitches are nice and thick -- very impressed :)

Goodness this thread moves so fast! Everything posted over the last day or so looks great.

Quick question, I've had a problem since day one with my bobbin stitch almost unthreading the fabric .. making pulls so small white strings and loops come out of the fabric (but the thread is blue). It doesn't happen on the topstitch, just the bottom. I cursed on the plain blue bowling shirt fabic thinking the fabric was too thin and tempermental. I'm working on an ariel dress and its all been great... except the blasted hem. The topstitch isn't the one seen, its teh bobbin stitch and while no one else will notice it, I see pulls in the fabric. There's a small spur on the bottom of my needle that I just noticed so I changed the needle... but could this be teh cause or should I be looking somewhere else. Its not tension. I've played endlessly with that over the past week. If it is the needle, about how often should I change the needle so that doesn't happen again? Oh, and I have two kinds of needles... a sharp and ball point... what's the difference? The one with the spur was a ball point... I bought sharps to do the elastic in this dress.... does it really matter which I use? If you can believe it, the girls at the fabric store didn't know the difference :confused3 (both are 14/90)
Yes, the needle can do that. Also a good idea to clean the bobbin area super well if the problem persists.

Ball point needles are for knits, sharps are for cottons.

I'll need to go back and catch up, but I need some help!!!

Okay, so I played around more with the new serger tonight, and I managed to get one of the Fab 5 themed skirts done:

picture216.jpg

Okay, but my problem is that when I was serging the bottom hem, I got off track and a small portion of the skirt got caught in the blade and cut! SERGER FAIL.

picture214.jpg

Is there anyway to put an applique over it, I can't tell where it is on the skirt?
It was a pretty clean cut and I managed to get it out of the machine without shredding it to pieces. Here's a picture of the hole with the fabric laying back on itself (that white thread is just a stray, NOT part of the hole):

picture215.jpg

Now I'm sure I'm not the first person to do something like this, so my question is: IS this salvageable? As you can see, I proceeded to finish the skirt since I was almost done and it seems like there should be SOMETHING I can do to mend the hole. ANY IDEAS???? Thanks so much!

Sunshine
Is there anyway to put an applique over it? I can't tell where it is on the skirt.

Oh My...I just read through 5 days of pictures and quotes. What cute outfits!! Chiara, nice new Janome:) Hi to all the New Folks.

I finally finished a Minnie Mouse themed peasant dress. Instead of using ties so the dress isn't so baggy around the waist...I decided to sew in a casing and pulled an elastic through it.

Minnie Mouse Peasant Dress by Sheila Grammy, on Flickr

This is the back before I added the white rick rack....which I love...I got it last year at the Hobby Lobby when I was visiting my parents in Michigan. I haven't been able to find it this wide at Joann's here.

Back of Minnie Dress by Sheila Grammy, on Flickr

Sheila

68874458-1.jpg

I saw that Ninjago on FB and show my kids - they all want one. :lmao:

I told them we'd look for some plain hoodies in the fall and do it then. Otherwise, I will have overdressed and overheated children.

Oh My...I just read through 5 days of pictures and quotes. What cute outfits!! Chiara, nice new Janome:) Hi to all the New Folks.

I finally finished a Minnie Mouse themed peasant dress. Instead of using ties so the dress isn't so baggy around the waist...I decided to sew in a casing and pulled an elastic through it.

This is the back before I added the white rick rack....which I love...I got it last year at the Hobby Lobby when I was visiting my parents in Michigan. I haven't been able to find it this wide at Joann's here.

Back of Minnie Dress by Sheila Grammy, on Flickr

Sheila

:lovestruc LOVE IT!

Took me three days but I finally finished Christophers bowling shirt. I am overall pleased with it, but I DEFINETLY need practice with the button holes. I didn't wash it so the marks are still on it where the button holes were supposed to go...:confused3 guess I placed them wrong.

2012-04-22_21-07-30_319.jpg

2012-04-22_21-04-40_688.jpg

2012-04-22_21-06-33_403.jpg

Please be gentle. But ANY help with it would be great. Also, since I am new to the sewing thing, the shirt called for a lining.... I chose not to. I just don't know how to sew the bottom of the shirt?!?!?!

Yes, the needle can do that. Also a good idea to clean the bobbin area super well if the problem persists.

Ball point needles are for knits, sharps are for cottons.

Thank you! Ok, so I've been using a ball point needle for all my sewing over the past two weeks... I figure I'm lucky that a few pulled threads is the only issue I've had.... guess I'll put the sharp one without the spurs in for the project I'm starting tomorrow. :rotfl2:

I am sooo excited I had to come and share with you ladies, I got a "new to me" sewing table today! :cool1: My husband is going to do some light sanding and painting on it, then it gets put in the house and I have a designated place to sew. ::yes:: You heard me right ladies, a designated place to sew! I get to move away from the kitchen table, which I never get to use thanks to those pesky kids of mine, and have a place just for me to sew. My new year goal of sewing once a week may actually come true now. I had to share with someone and who better than you lovely talented ladies and a gent or two. :yay:

Congrats on your new sewing table. Having a dedicated space to sew is super nice!

I'll need to go back and catch up, but I need some help!!!

Okay, so I played around more with the new serger tonight, and I managed to get one of the Fab 5 themed skirts done:

th_picture216.jpg

Okay, but my problem is that when I was serging the bottom hem, I got off track and a small portion of the skirt got caught in the blade and cut! SERGER FAIL.

th_picture214.jpg

It was a pretty clean cut and I managed to get it out of the machine without shredding it to pieces. Here's a picture of the hole with the fabric laying back on itself (that white thread is just a stray, NOT part of the hole):

th_picture215.jpg

Now I'm sure I'm not the first person to do something like this, so my question is: IS this salvageable? As you can see, I proceeded to finish the skirt since I was almost done and it seems like there should be SOMETHING I can do to mend the hole. ANY IDEAS???? Thanks so much!

Sunshine

I would fuse a piece of fabric to the back of it and run fray check over the cut on the front. I will then embellish it somehow (can you add a pocket?) to hide it.

Case away!! I think I had seen it on some outfits on Etsy, but they weren't on hooks, just attatched right to the waistband. But I was thinking you may want to remove it to switch it out or for safety. I used the ITH idea, some of them I've just bonded felt on the back and I used foam to make them more sturdy.

Thanks! I will keep your tips in mind. I have been thinking about doing a Canadian Mickey flag dangle for my Minnie Rosetta. Your projects really helped me visualize what that could look like!

I have some exciting news - my cousin is sending me a serger! My Aunt, who was a seamstress, was recently moved to a seniors' home and so my cousin has been rehousing my Aunt's sewing machines (she had 8 all told). I have no idea what it is or when it will get here, but I'm so happy! :banana::banana::banana:
I just have to figure out how it works once it gets here!

Congrats on the serger! I am sure you will put it to good use!

Oh my, it's Cheryl! I was thinking about you the other day. I hope you won't get any frostbite!!

th_68874458-1.jpg

My goodness you have been busy!

Ball points are for knits and sharps are for woven fabric. I tend to go with size 12 for most things I do (light to medium weight woven). I use size 14 when I work with heavier materials. Using the correct needle size could make a difference as well.

Sheila

Great job on the dress. Very cute!

Took me three days but I finally finished Christophers bowling shirt. I am overall pleased with it, but I DEFINETLY need practice with the button holes. I didn't wash it so the marks are still on it where the button holes were supposed to go...:confused3 guess I placed them wrong.

th_2012-04-22_21-07-30_319.jpg
th_2012-04-22_21-04-40_688.jpg
th_2012-04-22_21-06-33_403.jpg

Please be gentle. But ANY help with it would be great. Also, since I am new to the sewing thing, the shirt called for a lining.... I chose not to. I just don't know how to sew the bottom of the shirt?!?!?!

Your first bowling shirt looks great. Now you will be able to crank them out in your sleep! For the bottom of the shirt, I would finish the edge (zig zag or serge). Fold up the hem by 1/4", iron in place, and sew close to the finished raw edge to keep the whole thing in place. For the buttonholes, did you do them sideways or vertically? I wondered if they looked a touch close to the edge, maybe it's just me though.

The banana cake got rave reviews (even though I hid whole wheat flour in it and cut down the sugar to between 1/3 to 1/2 of the original recipe amount) :)

It looks like you already got the answers I was going to post. :thumbsup2

th_68874458-1.jpg

I know I already commented - but I just love how all of these turned out!

Sheila

This turned out super cute Sheila!

This turned out fabulous! I love how you used different colored buttons! The whole set is adorable! :lovestruc

D~

Aw! Thank you! I'll post a few at the end here. . .

Cheryl!!!! Where have you been? Well, I guess we know where you WEREN'T hiding . . .in your basement!!!!!! :rotfl2:

th_68874458-1.jpg

Love the Ninjago, both my boys want it now.

Sheila

Very cute ! I love how you used the different fabric and the placement of the rick rack looks great.

Good job !! At least you made button holes, I'm still too scared to do it on an actual shirt. I even resorted to snaps for my nephews shirt. I make a seam on the bottom about an inch in width and just stitch it straight. I think the zig-zag is just a little girly for finishing.

I like how this came out! :love:

2012-04-22_21-07-30_319.jpg

2012-04-22_21-04-40_688.jpg

2012-04-22_21-06-33_403.jpg

You know, snaps work just as well as button holes. :goodvibes I think this is an adorable outfit and it looks great. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter