Disboutiquers Part 28 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I am so sorry I an SOOOOOO behind.... AGAIN!

So I did change our dates to May. 3 nt Bahamian on the Dream and WDW! Baby will be a bit older and dates work better for Matt to get off. Can you tell I am hoping for a girl???? More than a year and I just planned customs for a baby girl!!! lol! 2 Patacake dresses(tropical and Be Our Guest theme) and one open back dress(Sailor/ DCL Minnie) (from Tie Dye Diva all with covers), 3 Carlys (Classic mouse, Dumbo, MMouse ice cream), one Port. Peasant (Pooh), 1 Stripwork (Toystory2 Faith dbl layer from sewsensible (Alice and seashell), 1 Maddie(little Einsteins), 1 Gem from Brynnberlee (Ariel), 1-2 simple skirt sets (Lion King...?), 2 Juliet dresses from Erin's designs CRT/ Princess, Pirate), and 1 simply sweet (Lilo). Most possibly shortened with diaper covers under and likely some hats. Crazy! Huh?! Great way to use up some of my pattern hoard!!! Hehehehe!

We find out on Wed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Name pics so far...Leila (like a Hawaiian Lei) Serenity, Elena Grace, Sawyer, and Noah. No mid names for boys yet.

Here is our DHS... Star Wars theme except for DD who is not a huge fan of the movie.

StarWars1P-1.jpg

PeaceMickey2-1.jpg

Those are great! I have both of those Star Wars prints in my stash for some DHS outfits!

I :lovestruc:lovestruc Sweet Pea's Stuff! I've never seen it before :)

Where is the member section?

Thanks!

~Jennifer

Join the site and you might need to send an email asking to be added for access to the member only designs. Then look under characters...tons of great stuff!

We find out on Wed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Name pics so far...Leila (like a Hawaiian Lei) Serenity, Elena Grace, Sawyer, and Noah. No mid names for boys yet.

How exciting! After three boys, I went bananas when I found out I was having my girl. I started sewing because of her.

Here is our DHS... Star Wars theme except for DD who is not a huge fan of the movie.

StarWars1P-1.jpg

PeaceMickey2-1.jpg

Those are great! I have both of those Star Wars prints in my stash for some DHS outfits!

I :lovestruc:lovestruc Sweet Pea's Stuff! I've never seen it before :)

Where is the member section?

Thanks!

~Jennifer

Join the site and you might need to send an email asking to be added for access to the member only designs. Then look under characters...tons of great stuff!

How exciting! After three boys, I went bananas when I found out I was having my girl. I started sewing because of her.

2012-04-14004146.jpg

2012-04-14004055.jpg

This is what I am working on tonight...so excited by how cute it is turning out, but that White Rabbit took forever...going to add Alice and a full Cheshire cat on the back.

Seems like I only manage to do drive by posts on here lately. I believe most of you now about my Grand Princess' recent surgery and very rocky road to recovery. She is only 4 and doesn't understand all that is happening.

This is the latest update from my DIL on her FB page.
"Update on Alyssa: Hi everyone. Another visit to the Dr today means good and bad news. The good news is her foot looks great as far as correcting the clubfoot. Also, in just a few short weeks she will be able to put pressure on her foot. This means that she will be able to walk again. The bad news is has gotten some pressure sores on her heel and back of her leg. Also we will go back into the surgery next Friday. The doctor wants to surgically remove all the dead skin. At this time, she will be put to sleep for about 30 mins so the Dr can get the skin removed. She will then be put into another splint for a week and we will return to the Dr the following week for a cast. She is finally eating better and sleeping more and more each night. When you see her, she has these awful black circles under eyes. She went to class last night a church but Shawn stayed with her. Please keep praying! She is still trying to heal. What a ride this has been,.."

Please keep us in your prayers..

Nini
Sorry for all your poor grandbaby and family are going through. I will definitely keep all of you in my prayers.

I had a very productive day - finished up a bunch of stuff!
th_20120412_Shover_1371.jpg
th_20120412_Shover_1369.jpg
th_20120412_Shover_1373.jpg
th_20120412_Shover_1374.jpg

The top 2 shirts are for our trip - the bottom two outfits are for a joint birthday party tomorrow for the youngest two. I still have to do up DS's shorts to match that t-shirt, but I already have them cut out of a fun lizard print twill I picked up at Joann's last week.
Fabulous! I am so amazed at how quickly you whip things out!

Well, my new serger arrived this afternoon but I didn't get to start playing with it until after 9 when the kiddos went to bed. I DID watch the videos/tutorials earlier, so that helped. I was feeling a little intemidated when I was watching the videos, but once I actually pulled the machine out of the box and started working with it, I felt much better. There's still a TON I know I need to learn, but I'll get there.

Tonight I fiddled with narrow rolled edges. With three girls I know I have oodles of ruffles in my future, so I know I will get VERY good use out of this function. I made some cloth napkins. Kind of a lame first project, but I needed something easy and repetitive, so this fit the bill and actually we are about to run out of napkins so this helps solve that problem too!

th_picture.jpg

I ended up making 11, some with curved corners, and others with boxed corners. I need to practice more on the boxed corners because they did not come out as clean as I would have liked. Doing narrow rolled edges was SOOOOO much faster than the way I've made napkins before (turn and top stitched) plus is uses less fabric. I also got to re-thread the machine several times, due to a thread breaking once and running out twice of the upper looper thread. Serging uses a TON of thread, so I guess I'll be ordering some soon. Now that I've mostly got the narrow rolled edge down, I'll try to work on some other technique tomorrow night.

Sunshine
YaaHoo for the new serger!!!! The napkins look great :) All I did yesterday were my blankets for Haiti so my serger was in use as well.

we are home from a great trip. I have a bunch of things I need to start working on.
Welcome back! I have to head over to your ptr to see if you post some pics for us (that's a hint).

Oh yay, I can post pictures now! Here are a few things I have been making. This was my first attempt at a dress. I didn't use any pattern, I just sort of made it up as I went along, but I'm so pleased with how it turned out! This one I don't think will go to Disney, as we have so many t-shirts already and I'm still planning to make a few more things. My daughter is going to wear this tomorrow to a princess themed party, hence the crown and septer. Lol* She said she loved it when she tried it on, that was all the thanks I needed!

th_GEDC8351.JPG

This was my second attempt at a dress, for my oldest daughter who will be 10 soon, and my first try at a pillowcase dress. She really loves it and that makes me so happy. The only think I don't like is the purple I added, I wish I had done that differently, it looks kind of funny to me. Oh well, this was fun and super easy and I will be doing lots more of these.

th_GEDC8353.JPG

I then made another for my 11 month old, but made it a little too short! Hers I will be pairing with a little pair of denim shorts from Target and it will be a top rather than a dress...

th_GEDC8403.JPG

This last one I just finished yesterday and I'm so thrilled with it! I even made a matching hair bow and diaper cover, that was a real feat for me! Lol* This is also for my 11 month old...

th_GEDC8410.JPG

th_GEDC8408.JPG
Awesome job on everything. i love the colors in the first dress.

I'm glad I could inspire someone, so many people here have done that for me! :) The things I would do differently about the pillowcase is first use better quality but I think I should have used Sulky Solvy on the top like I did for the towels. And if I did a different color pillowcase, I'd use cut away stabilizer instead of tear away... I just don't like when the stabilizer shows through the white. Looking forward to seeing what you create!
So is this what you do for towels and fleece -- sulky solvy on the top? Do you put it down for the placement stitch and tack down or can you just add it for the actual applique stitch?

I have a Question

For those of you who are experienced serger users, How much THREAD should I be ordering??? I want to have enough to do a small variety of colors, but I don't know how many CONES of each color thread to buy??? Do I need to get 4 cones of each color, or can I get by with (mostly) 2 cones of serger thread for the upper and lower loopers, and then use regular sewing thread for the needles?

*edit* Okay, I also wanted to ask if there is a specific brand of serger thread that is better. I'm looking at the Maxi Lock cones. Would this be quality thread or is there another brand that would be better?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Sunshine
I use Maxi Lock cones. I just started with black and white but since have added red and brown to my collection. I think I use all of them about equally! I only ever use three spools so that's all I buy.

I buy maxilock or toldilock when its 50% off at Joanns. I also occasionally buy online from atlanta thread company or thread art. The cheaper brands of serge thread tend to break and shed more than the brand names.

Just starting out I would get white, cream, grey, and black. If you get 4 spools of each in the really big size they will last for a year or two. I only use the other colors if I'm doing a rolled hem and trying to match something specific or if I'm using my coverstitch feature (you may not have that one....I never matched thread perfectly until I got one....u'd be surprised how far grey will take you!)

I've never tried using sewing thread in my serger because I like the big cones then you don't run out of thread unless you are doing a color change....also the sewing thread on spools may not feed evenly and you may get tension issues.

I sew for a boy and girl....so the other colors I have are royal blue, kacki, baby pink, leaf green, hot pink, brown, navy, purple, and red....this is used more for coverstitch than anything on tshirts. I actually use the grey or black on denim?sp and it blends fine.

Have fun!
I never thought of having gray -- may have to get that as well. I just add to my collection little by little.

Hmm I see that the 50% 15 or more is over at just peachy. I really dont need the 15 designs that I pt in my cart but of course now I ideas for all the designs I picked out :)
Now she has 50% off $20 worth of designs so add five designs and you'll be fine! I couldn't even come up with 15 last week so I passed. My kids are older so I find it harder to find designs that suit them.

QUESTION

When y'all make an ITH project that calls for the same color bobbin, do you just wind the color you're actually using or a different weighted thread? I tried doing this with an ITH eye spy bag but my bobbin was still a little crazy, even after adjusting the tension. And my tear away stabilizer didn't tear away so great from the vinyl. :headache:
I've never made anything ITH but I have used used sulky thread for my bobbins and it worked just fine for me (PE 770).

Andrea... glad to hear your mom is doing well. My mother had that done a few years ago.

WOW that is alot of machines. I only have 3 :sad2:
May I ask how old your mom was when she had it done? I know it's in my future (as the OBGYN kindly told me things were falling at my last check two years ago) and I figure if I'm going to need the surgery I'd rather have it done sooner than later. I'll be 48 in a couple of months.

I have you beat by one machine, but only b/c one of the opticians at work gave me hers. And my embroidery machine would be saved in the fire -- only b/c it was the most expensive. My serger would be the last to be saved -- it's getting old and worn down.

Yes Diane i saw that sweet dress!!! very pretty! and yes i am a thrift-a-holic! and it is paying off big time for a family friend...my oldest dd's dh's cousin is getting married,very small budget and nothing fancy,park pavillion w/ kitchen ,by the lake. they are asking for reception food in lieu of gifts from me and my other dd. I am doing blt dip and crackers and the platter/bowl will be a gift also! but she also knows i am a thrifter and asked if i had or could get sheets { top } to use on the picnic tables...she asked for florals in blues/pinks/yellows...i am glad to say i am able to provide at least 12 from my stash! she is going for the country/vintage look,flower girls w/ galvinized buckets kinda theme.and thsis is all perfect for an eEarth Day wedding...
Please take pics of the wedding for us -- it sounds really neat.

th_StarWars1P-1.jpg
th_PeaceMickey2-1.jpg
Awesome!!! I am not a SW fan, but I love the outfits. Is that the new fabric from Joann's? You know, the fabric mine would never carry. I have no need for it myself, but it would be cool if they had it for a BG.

I am so sorry I an SOOOOOO behind.... AGAIN!

So I did change our dates to May. 3 nt Bahamian on the Dream and WDW! Baby will be a bit older and dates work better for Matt to get off. Can you tell I am hoping for a girl???? More than a year and I just planned customs for a baby girl!!! lol! 2 Patacake dresses(tropical and Be Our Guest theme) and one open back dress(Sailor/ DCL Minnie) (from Tie Dye Diva all with covers), 3 Carlys (Classic mouse, Dumbo, MMouse ice cream), one Port. Peasant (Pooh), 1 Stripwork (Toystory2 Faith dbl layer from sewsensible (Alice and seashell), 1 Maddie(little Einsteins), 1 Gem from Brynnberlee (Ariel), 1-2 simple skirt sets (Lion King...?), 2 Juliet dresses from Erin's designs CRT/ Princess, Pirate), and 1 simply sweet (Lilo). Most possibly shortened with diaper covers under and likely some hats. Crazy! Huh?! Great way to use up some of my pattern hoard!!! Hehehehe!

I love all your names! I'm really excited for you to find out. What on earth are you going to do if all that wardrobe planning doesn't pan out?

th_2012-04-14004146.jpg

th_2012-04-14004055.jpg

This is what I am working on tonight...so excited by how cute it is turning out, but that White Rabbit took forever...going to add Alice and a full Cheshire cat on the back.
Excited to see the finished product!

Yes Diane i saw that sweet dress!!! very pretty! and yes i am a thrift-a-holic! and it is paying off big time for a family friend...my oldest dd's dh's cousin is getting married,very small budget and nothing fancy,park pavillion w/ kitchen ,by the lake. they are asking for reception food in lieu of gifts from me and my other dd. I am doing blt dip and crackers and the platter/bowl will be a gift also! but she also knows i am a thrifter and asked if i had or could get sheets { top } to use on the picnic tables...she asked for florals in blues/pinks/yellows...i am glad to say i am able to provide at least 12 from my stash! she is going for the country/vintage look,flower girls w/ galvinized buckets kinda theme.and thsis is all perfect for an eEarth Day wedding...
Beth- It is great that you can help her out that way. I guess your thrifting really does pay off! Definitely take a picture to show us how it all turns out! It sounds like her wedding is going to be a very trendy, with a great shabby chic look!

StarWars1P-1.jpg

PeaceMickey2-1.jpg
I love all the outfits! But my favorite is the peace sign outfit. I love the colors that you used!

You have quite a sewing list made for yourself! It is going to take you a while to finish all those outfits! Love the names you've picked out. We'll be waiting to hear the big news on Wednesday! Good luck!

2012-04-14004146.jpg

2012-04-14004055.jpg

The appliques you've finished so far look great! I can't wait to see the finished dress!

I bought a pattern to make something for myself. Since I have been working with a lot of knits lately, I bought the Modkid Penelope Plus pattern. It looks really cute and easy to sew. I just hope it doesn't turn out to look like a huge, ugly bag once I've sewn it. If it is terribly ugly, I will just turn it into a nightie and sleep in it.:rotfl:

I can't remember if i posted a pic of my grandbabies in their easter dresses...i made the dresses from fabric their greatgrandmother ,G.G.,my ex -mil,had given me when she found out i was learning to sew. she had a rubbermaid tote full of easter fabric ready to make things for her greatgrands and then had a stroke,the fabric sat for a year or so and then she gave it to me last year. So i made things for all the lil girls...dgd Avery and dgs Jackson were not able to come for the egg hunt at Nanna & Pawpaw's :sad1: { their mom has issues}. there as nothing in the tote for my 2 grandsons or their cousin Conner. but there are several fabric book panels that i am hoping to make quilts with for the next grandbaby Liberty and for my niece and nephew when they have babies in the future...
anyway,here are Chloe-5,Elli - 10 next weekend!,Kensleigh-7,Gracie-7 and Blaze -7! hard to beleive he is only 3 mos. older than the twins! he's so tall and they are so short...but then again his dad is 6'4" and theirs is 5'9"...
524388_10150656159931586_555471585_9554176_860630082_n.jpg

thanks for looking and sorry if this is a repost...so much on my mind,cleaning/redoing my sewing room,end of the year at school,granddaughter
s b'day andthen dd's babyshower next month! busy busy...and i wanna sew!

S

I love all your names! I'm really excited for you to find out. What on earth are you going to do if all that wardrobe planning doesn't pan out?
There may be crying....lol!!

Aww!! So sweet!!!

Thanks Diane!!

What's sad is I am trying to figure out WHERE/ HOW to squeeze in a Peter/ Tink set??? What about on the way there?? I still have a lil of this left from my ring sling ( something else I need) http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:90&tx=31&ty=13

LOVE the Alice set in process!!!! TOOO cute!

I have a dress and pr of shorts to do in less than 4 hrs! :scared1: Hope I can get them done.

Only a week after all my other YUCK I started getting MAJOR migraines. May have found culprit of all my recent sickness, though. (from http://www.mold-removal-tips.com/symptom_article_4.html)

You smell stale musty odors, in the bathroom, laundry, basement, attic, walls.
You have headaches that occur on a weekly basis.
Musty towels or clothing that was just washed.
Stale air conditioning or furnace air.
Mold colonies that appear as if from out of no where even after cleaning it.
Speckles or splotches on the home water filter or water softener tanks.
White/gray crystaline substances on basement walls.
Damp cardboard in the attic, garage, or basement.
You have strange health problems that the doctors can't seem to identify a cause.
You are buying one or more boxes of antihystimine per month.
Runny nose, red eyes, tired eyes, itchy eyes and nose, sniffles.
Your throat is frequently irritated.
Sinus headaches, sinus pressure, you can feel the goo.
You are constantly un-naturally tired.
You feel better after having been away from the house for a period of time.
You get these ill effects only on weekends (because you are at home more).
Idiopathic (makes no sense) illnesses, mixed with more chronic (long term) health problems.
Banging headaches when they don't make sense to have them.
Migraine, light sensitive headaches.
Multiple ear infections.
Allergies.

About 2/3 are me. Matt has been having some of these issues, too.

I can't remember if i posted a pic of my grandbabies in their easter dresses...i made the dresses from fabric their greatgrandmother ,G.G.,my ex -mil,had given me when she found out i was learning to sew. she had a rubbermaid tote full of easter fabric ready to make things for her greatgrands and then had a stroke,the fabric sat for a year or so and then she gave it to me last year. So i made things for all the lil girls...dgd Avery and dgs Jackson were not able to come for the egg hunt at Nanna & Pawpaw's :sad1: { their mom has issues}. there as nothing in the tote for my 2 grandsons or their cousin Conner. but there are several fabric book panels that i am hoping to make quilts with for the next grandbaby Liberty and for my niece and nephew when they have babies in the future...
anyway,here are Chloe-5,Elli - 10 next weekend!,Kensleigh-7,Gracie-7 and Blaze -7! hard to beleive he is only 3 mos. older than the twins! he's so tall and they are so short...but then again his dad is 6'4" and theirs is 5'9"...
524388_10150656159931586_555471585_9554176_860630082_n.jpg

thanks for looking and sorry if this is a repost...so much on my mind,cleaning/redoing my sewing room,end of the year at school,granddaughter
s b'day andthen dd's babyshower next month! busy busy...and i wanna sew!

They all look great - beautiful group of kids!

Beth the easter outfits are just awesome.

Alicia I can't wait for you to find out what you are having. I am happy to hear you may have found what has been causing your health problems.

I know someone was looking for fairy wings just the wings. They have them at Embroidery Library. Look under fairy wings they have 2 or 3 set in 3 sizes each. They also have a sale right now buy 10 designs get them for 10.40 rebate4u is the code.
HTH

I love these all. I think I am going to do Star Wars outfits for J and C one day :)

Love the Peace outfit so great.

:goodvibes Thanks. My DD does not like SW at all so I had to come up with something else.

:lovestruc I vote Noah... if it's a boy:lmao:

:goodvibes Thanks

2012-04-14004146.jpg

2012-04-14004055.jpg

I saw this on FB:lmao: That is such a cute design.

May I ask how old your mom was when she had it done? I know it's in my future (as the OBGYN kindly told me things were falling at my last check two years ago) and I figure if I'm going to need the surgery I'd rather have it done sooner than later. I'll be 48 in a couple of months.
!

My mom had it done 4 years ago at the age of 59. I had just had my son and then a week later she went in. She was having alot pain before the surgery. But I am hoping it is not hereditary :scared:

Awesome!!! I am not a SW fan, but I love the outfits. Is that the new fabric from Joann's? You know, the fabric mine would never carry. I have no need for it myself, but it would be cool if they had it for a BG.
!

:goodvibes Thanks yes it was the Joanne's fabric that I bought tons of. I actually bought one of the bolts of the spaceship fabric and then went back and bought more.:rolleyes1 Plus I have a preorder of other SW fabric from OvertheRainbow that is due to come in soon. :upsidedow

I love all the outfits! But my favorite is the peace sign outfit. I love the colors that you used!
:goodvibes Thanks the peace fabric feels so cheery.

I bought a pattern to make something for myself. Since I have been working with a lot of knits lately, I bought the Modkid Penelope Plus pattern. It looks really cute and easy to sew. I just hope it doesn't turn out to look like a huge, ugly bag once I've sewn it. If it is terribly ugly, I will just turn it into a nightie and sleep in it.:rotfl:

I am sure it will come on great. I can't wait to see pictures:lovestruc

I know someone was looking for fairy wings just the wings. They have them at Embroidery Library. Look under fairy wings they have 2 or 3 set in 3 sizes each. They also have a sale right now buy 10 designs get them for 10.40 rebate4u is the code.
HTH

That was me!! Thanks. VTU has it on her list to make. I sent her some tink wings. But I'm going to go look these up.

HTH

I came back to tell you they are nice looking. I'm going to have to try them.

Hi ladies,

I was about to embark on a Drizella costume for my dd who will be 9 when we go on our trip in sept, based on Simplicity Cknderella pattern I have only to find it stops at 6. A quick google and the pattern picks up in womens size 6...

Are there none for girls this age? What do you ladies use for princess patterns for girls older than six? I figured for a reliable answer I'd go to the Disney costume making pros...

Hi ladies,

I was about to embark on a Drizella costume for my dd who will be 9 when we go on our trip in sept, based on Simplicity Cknderella pattern I have only to find it stops at 6. A quick google and the pattern picks up in womens size 6...

Are there none for girls this age? What do you ladies use for princess patterns for girls older than six? I figured for a reliable answer I'd go to the Disney costume making pros...

Carla Cs Precious dress with a few minor adjustments. ;)

A few weeks ago I asked about cutting up a scrub top to make a skirt, thanks for the suggestions. By carefully seam ripping apart the top (who knew making all those mistakes over time would pay off :rotfl2:), I was able to get 3/4 of the skirt with the Marie fabric.

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

(she wanted pink in the skirt, I would have choosen purple)

A few months ago, my older dd broke a needle in my sewing machine trying to use it - she didn't know how. So I suggested that we work together and make her a skirt. I did all the cutting and pinning, but she did all the acutal sewing.....

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

A few weeks ago I asked about cutting up a scrub top to make a skirt, thanks for the suggestions. By carefully seam ripping apart the top (who knew making all those mistakes over time would pay off :rotfl2:), I was able to get 3/4 of the skirt with the Marie fabric.

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

A few months ago, my older dd broke a needle in my sewing machine trying to use it - she didn't know how. So I suggested that we work together and make her a skirt. I did all the cutting and pinning, but she did all the acutal sewing.....

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

I love the Marie skirt! We have that fabric found it on etsy a few months ago since my 20 month old loves Marie.We have purple and pink to either make her a dress or a skirt.

Your dd did a great job sewing too! I'm jealous that she would wear that my 9 year old refused to wear tigger or Pooh

Hi ladies,

There are some more generic princess costumes in Butterick (and I think Simplicity and McCall's too) that go up to bigger girls' sizes. Nothing like a good 99 cent pattern sale...

I have finished the Alice in Wonderland top, finished a non-Disney strawberry print swing top, and I am now stitching out the second applique of 3 on a Little Mermaid-themed top. I want to be 5 again so I can wear this stuff...

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg
Well of course she wanted pink in the skirt -- she had to match her socks -- well, perhaps one of them since it appears to have a pink stripe in it :rotfl2: My dd was doing that for a wee bit but stopped. Your dd reminds me so much of mine as mine just got new glasses and is about the same size and has the same hair (albeit a bit longer)!

Your older dd did an awesome job with her skirt :)

Well done on both accounts. I may have to show my dd that Marie skirt -- we are huge Aristocats fans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter