Disboutiquers Part 28 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Question!
I need to make a Poodle Skirt for V, Is there a specific pattern anyone would recommend? Maybe even just the skirt part of a dress pattern? I found a Poodle Skirt pattern at Fabric Land by simplicity, I could get that, but wonder if it is necessart to buy one. I'm making it out of pink broadcloth for our lunch at 50's Prime Time.

My Rapunzel Tea Party was cancelled and moved to tomorrow, so I am off to sew my first dress. :headache:

Question!
I need to make a Poodle Skirt for V, Is there a specific pattern anyone would recommend? Maybe even just the skirt part of a dress pattern? I found a Poodle Skirt pattern at Fabric Land by simplicity, I could get that, but wonder if it is necessart to buy one. I'm making it out of pink broadcloth for our lunch at 50's Prime Time.

My Rapunzel Tea Party was cancelled and moved to tomorrow, so I am off to sew my first dress. :headache:
There's a tutorial on MADE by Dana blog and it's free. I have it pinned, but have never tried it. Other tutorials of hers I've tried have been good, so it should be pretty simple.

http://www.danamadeit.com/2010/09/the-circle-skirt-tutorial.html

Carla C also has a tutorial on her blog with templates:

http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.com/2011/10/circular-logic.html

Question!

I was going to suggest a circle skirt and post the exact same tut that Jennie posted! Us Navy wives think alike ;)

Not 15 minutes in and I broke the machine. :confused3 somehow the thread is breaking so my stitches don't have any thread. Getting the book and looking for a tool kit :scared1::scared1:

Marissa update...yesterday she wasn't so lucky. She did do the audition wearing her pointe shoes (and evidently nobody else did) and said she felt like she rocked it, but the CM in charge told her that her technique was excellent, but she was too short for what they needed to cast. So it's my fault she didn't make it....the lack of height comes from little ole me! :lmao: But her attitude is still good, and she's determined to keep at it. She still has hopes something will come of Thursday's attempt...when she filled out the application she checked all the boxes...full time, part time, seasonal and holiday.

Now we get to go to WDW and play!

Oh pooh! that's really too bad :( Although she does have a wonderful attitude about it so FX that they find the perfect role for her in WDW and SOON!

:rotfl2: at your comment about Amy and her collection of machines! trust me, she's not laughing! She leaves very soon and had hoped to get more done. Hopefully I can help her out some this week. And hopefully third time is a charm!

Good job on getting the diapers in order. I still have all mine boxed in the attic which I need to pull down and see if I can find someone to buy them. I know you can't sell diapers on e-bay but I think I can have the local homebirth midwife send out an e-mail to her chain of folks advertising them for me. I paid loads of $$$ for all of them and we were never able to have more children so it's time to get rid of them. I have sooooo much stuff I need to go through and get rid of. I need to e-bay some of dd's good clothes but I've only ever bought on e-bay -- hopefully I can figure out to sell!

Do you have a snap tool? Does it work well? I have more fabric to make a hospital gown but the snap tape is so expensive. My fabric will sit until the house sells. And thank you for your prayers -- the more the better!

Oh I DO feel badly for Amy. I hate that she's had such dumb luck with getting a good machine. But I agree, hopefully the 3rd time's the charm and she can get her sewing done before her trip.

You CAN sell used diapers on ebay now (either they've changed their rules or relaxed them because there are always several listings there. But another website that you can try listing things is Spot's Corner on Hyenacart.com (http://hyenacart.com/stores/Spots_corner/) Hyenacart is a lot like Etsy (small shops that use paypal for transactions) but most of them are more eco-friendly in their products. I believe for Spot's Corner listings you just pay a set fee and list as many items as you want for a specific period of time (I think it's 2 weeks, but I'm not sure). If someone buys your item, they pay you and you mail it out to them.

However, it really might be easier to work something out with the midwife as then you wouldn't have to mess with shipping them. As an aside, and forgive me if I'm being nosy, but did you have a homebirth? We did with my last and I LOVED it, so that's why I was curious....please don't feel you have to answer if I you don't want to.

And yes, I do have a pair of snap pliers. I ordered mine online because I bought them before they started selling the Babyville line at JoAnns and Hobby Lobby. But from the other ladies on the cloth diaper sewing board I am on, I know that the actual snap pliers in the Babyville line are the same as the ones I have. The babyville snaps are just OK. They work fine, but they are a little cheaper in quality-they are more apt to break while you are setting them if you don't get them lined up the right way in the pliers, and they are also more expensive than the snaps I get from kamsnaps.com (more colors too!)

Went with the red with black ruffle (the red at her neck is her gymnastics leotard, she had just gotten home from practice)

th_812b44a4.jpg

Shes so slim that the shorts are a bit baggy in the front, but she liked them anyway

I also started working on another tee shirt into a dress for DD4, and had to tear it all apart :mad: so will try to fix it tomorrow and post it then...too frustrated to touch it again now:sad2:

Oh those are very cute! Sorry that the dresses were giving you such a fit yesterday. Hopefully they will be more cooperative today and you can get them finished.

Question!

Guess I'm joining in on the "Great Mind's club" :lmao:, I 3rd (or 4th?) the circle skirt pattern on the MADE site.

Not 15 minutes in and I broke the machine. :confused3 somehow the thread is breaking so my stitches don't have any thread. Getting the book and looking for a tool kit :scared1::scared1:

Oh no! Not your machine too. Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder if maybe there was a defective batch of 770's that was produced :( I really hope that you are able to figure out what is wrong with your machine and get it working again.

SO 260 snaps pressed and my hand HURTS! :rotfl: But all the snaps are now set so I can move on to sewing the wetbags. I do need to make a trip to Hancock and pick up some more of the wicking fabric and also 5 more zippers. I'm betting I can get all the wetbags sewn today though.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday!
Sunshine

Finally finished these!!
20120609_Shover_3211.jpg

My husband's shirt is Simplicity 5581 (I also have the cargo shorts from this pattern cut and ready to sew).
20120609_Shover_3216.jpg

My boys are all wearing McCall's 6548.
Matthew:
20120609_Shover_3215.jpg

Jamie:
20120609_Shover_3213.jpg

Benjamin:
20120609_Shover_3214.jpg

Best of all, school is OUT!!!!

There's a tutorial on MADE by Dana blog and it's free. I have it pinned, but have never tried it. Other tutorials of hers I've tried have been good, so it should be pretty simple.

http://www.danamadeit.com/2010/09/the-circle-skirt-tutorial.html

Carla C also has a tutorial on her blog with templates:

http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.com/2011/10/circular-logic.html
THANK YOU! off to go have a looK!

I was going to suggest a circle skirt and post the exact same tut that Jennie posted! Us Navy wives think alike ;)
Great Minds Indeed!

Guess I'm joining in on the "Great Mind's club" :lmao:, I 3rd (or 4th?) the circle skirt pattern on the MADE site.

Oh no! Not your machine too. Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder if maybe there was a defective batch of 770's that was produced :( I really hope that you are able to figure out what is wrong with your machine and get it working again.Sunshine

My machine is a veru basic cheap walmart special. My mom took the bobbin etc... apart and cleaned it twice and then we found out the thread was wrapped aroound something at the top.
but anyways..... it was working again.

Well I have officially sewn my first item since home ec in 8th grade....

I started cutting out the pattern and such around 12 and I finished about 8 or so. including lunch and dinner and breaking the machine lol.

I guess that isn't too bad. I do think it turned out okay!

my seams aren't straight and I had to hand stitch/reinforce one of the shoulder seams, but overall I think it went okay.

It is just a basic A-line dress, The pattern was by Lily Bird on YCMT it has lime green polka dot lining.

DSC_0232.jpg

I started cutting out the pattern and such around 12 and I finished about 8 or so. including lunch and dinner and breaking the machine lol.

my seams aren't straight and I had to hand stitch/reinforce one of the shoulder seams, but overall I think it went okay.

It is just a basic A-line dress, The pattern was by Lily Bird on YCMT

DSC_0232.jpg

hmmm not sure why the picture is so crappy? I better check my camera settings.

It is just a basic A-line dress, The pattern was by Lily Bird on YCMT it has lime green polka dot lining.

th_DSC_0232.jpg

:dance3::banana::banana::banana::cheer2::cheer2::yay::cool1::dance3:

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally finished these!!
20120609_Shover_3211.jpg

Benjamin:
20120609_Shover_3214.jpg

Best of all, school is OUT!!!!
Love the matching shirts. Are you making matching shorts for all of them too or just making shorts for your husband? I love the face on Benjamin in his picture! You are all going to look awesome at Disney! Hooray for school being out. We have 1 and 1/2 more days to go. We're so excited because on the day school ends our good friends are coming to visit us from California. We haven't seen them for a year and we are so excited that they are coming.

DSC_0232.jpg

Excellent job on your first dress! It looks super! On a moving child nobody will ever notice the tiny flaws that we all see in our own sewing. Keep up the good work!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

I know this is months old, but was wondering where you found the great applique/embroidery for test track? Thanks!

Ye, I will confirm that I used heathers test track appliqué.

Question!

I was going to suggest the made tutorial also. I made a ladies poodle skirt with that and heathers poodle appliqué last month.

I was in Walmart today and they had a lot of sewing supplies in the clearance isle. I got some stabalizer (brand is Stitch n Sew) 1 yard packages. The cut-away was $1.00 and the tear-away was $2.00. I've been wanting to experiment with applique, but don't want to invest a lot into it (in case I can't do it ;)). Got some machine needles, interfacing, zippers and marking pens at what I think were great prices. This Walmart still has a fairly large fabric section still, so I don't think it was because they're phasing it out or anything. Might be worth checking for those of you that have a Walmart nearby!

oooh, I'd love to find some stabilizer at those prices!!!!!! Like you, I'd love to play more, but dont want to pray crazy prices!!!

Still a few things needed for GAbby's Big Give!!! Family Wish shirts, tie dye shirts, eye spy bags, fleece blankets, airplane busy bags, theme park survival kit.....
http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=weneedyou&action=display&thread=72&page=1

I hope you all have been following along with Reed's big give - oh my GOSH - that little boy is just so super sweet!!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=45142731#post45142731

Went with the red with black ruffle (the red at her neck is her gymnastics leotard, she had just gotten home from practice)

812b44a4.jpg

Shes so slim that the shorts are a bit baggy in the front, but she liked them anyway

I also started working on another tee shirt into a dress for DD4, and had to tear it all apart :mad: so will try to fix it tomorrow and post it then...too frustrated to touch it again now:sad2:

Love these shorts! Did you happen to make these using the easy fit pattern? I am getting ready to do some shorts with the cuff (not ruffles obviously) on them for my son and I am trying to figure out if the cuff needs to be less wide. I made him a normal pair of shorts and had to adjust the pattern b/c they were way to long when using a 2.5" hem.

Love these shorts! Did you happen to make these using the easy fit pattern? I am getting ready to do some shorts with the cuff (not ruffles obviously) on them for my son and I am trying to figure out if the cuff needs to be less wide. I made him a normal pair of shorts and had to adjust the pattern b/c they were way to long when using a 2.5" hem.
I did use the easy fits pattern, but I had to do some adjusting too..going with the measurements for her outseam I would have had to cut them off above the crotch:confused3

the ruffle is doubled so you dont hem it and there was no 2.5 hem..but I still had to ignore the outseam directions and just ended the pattern an inch down from the crotch..if that makes sense :lmao:it does in my head

I use a smaller hem on the ones for my son too..with a 2.5 inch seam allowance they go up above the crotch so I just use 1 inch...it worked

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter