Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing you have to remember is that when you have someone as manipulative as Pete is and who threatened employees frequently, you may have a form of Stockholm syndrome going on with them. They keep their noses down, they dont intervene. Craig said it was an abnormal working environment. Give them a little grace. No one has the right to blame anyone for anything but Sean and Dustin who lived it. Stop ragging on the team. They were subordinates and subjected to a hellish work situation. They were all manipulated by that man.

And Pete sent an email to Ryan who was 18 or so at the time that displayed horrendous behavior. I saw it discussed online. He absolutely berated the kid.

Pete's behavior has been discussed online for years and years.
I’ve been given the okay to clarify rteetz was 22 at the time and freshly out of college. The email exchanges were horrendous. It was fortuitous timing on rteetz’ part to leave when he did.

I don't know why this keeps coming up. I'll say it a million times more and more... No one knew anything. If you read my story, you'll know that I hid everything for a very long time. The most anyone knew is that we had a tumultuous on again/off again relationship. I had only ever revealed what truly happened to my wife (when we first got serious.) I would bet money that Pete didn't even really remember that these events even happened. I never brought them up. He would've swept them under the rug thinking they'll never see the light of day again.

I kept all of this incredibly close to the vest. I truly wish the guessing of who knew something happened was not a part of the conversation. I was struggling to even come clean about a relationship with a man. It was never fully acknowledged on the show. My friends and family didn't know until the very end.

Again (and again) while their may have been concerning behavior and toxic environments... no one truly knew how deep any of this went with the exception of me and Sean (maybe there are others? I don't know) I can't reiterate enough that these people are good human beings and at the end of the day would've stood up for what's right.

I'm not coming at anyone in specific. I'm just trying to squash what I feel is an unnecessary point that keeps being brought up. These are decent humans, who did the best with the information they were provided, while also being subjected to bullying, torment, control, and verbal abuse themselves.

Please give them the benefit of the doubt. You are entitled to your opinions.... but seriously, that's all I ask.

I haven’t been on the boards in a while(I actually was going to catch up tonight believe it or not) and a friend sent me this after a social media post by a former member of the team (not going to dox them as that’s inappropriate).

Much like the Ned Fulmer and Ethan Slater scandals, this is disappointing and anger inducing. And sad. On multiple fronts.

To those who spoke out I commend you. I stand by you. Your bravery is not going unnoticed. Dustin it’s good to hear from you again. Fiasco same to you. And Sean wherever you may be.

To Craig, Ryno and the team still holding on: I will support you guys wherever you go. From the sounds of it, much like the Try Guys you had been figuring out a way to say something and then the past few days happened.

Anyone attacking any team member current or former that aren’t Pete (especially those with kids-really people leave the innocent kids out of this) and any agent should be ashamed of themselves. I also believe Craig’s statement, and clearly my spidey sense are telling me that this is similar to the try guys where they were trying to move as quickly as possible and then they had to act quickly.

To my fellow Dissers….it’s been a pleasure, even with some slight disagreements along the way. Hopefully these boards remain. A few of you I follow on social and if you DM me, hopefully we can follow along. And we can also return if there is a new forum.

I will be here to listen, comment and what not in the meantime. As i have always said I am a listener and if you want to tell me something five minutes from now or five decades from now i will be here.

Last edited:

I don't know why this keeps coming up. I'll say it a million times more and more... No one knew anything. If you read my story, you'll know that I hid everything for a very long time. The most anyone knew is that we had a tumultuous on again/off again relationship. I had only ever revealed what truly happened to my wife (when we first got serious.) I would bet money that Pete didn't even really remember that these events even happened. I never brought them up. He would've swept them under the rug thinking they'll never see the light of day again.

I kept all of this incredibly close to the vest. I truly wish the guessing of who knew something happened was not a part of the conversation. I was struggling to even come clean about a relationship with a man. It was never fully acknowledged on the show. My friends and family didn't know until the very end.

Again (and again) while their may have been concerning behavior and toxic environments... no one truly knew how deep any of this went with the exception of me and Sean (maybe there are others? I don't know) I can't reiterate enough that these people are good human beings and at the end of the day would've stood up for what's right.

I'm not coming at anyone in specific. I'm just trying to squash what I feel is an unnecessary point that keeps being brought up. These are decent humans, who did the best with the information they were provided, while also being subjected to bullying, torment, control, and verbal abuse themselves.

Please give them the benefit of the doubt. You are entitled to your opinions.... but seriously, that's all I ask.
Everyone’s only ever had great things to say about you and I can see why.

One thing you have to remember is that when you have someone as manipulative as Pete is and who threatened employees frequently, you may have a form of Stockholm syndrome going on with them. They keep their noses down, they dont intervene. Craig said it was an abnormal working environment. Give them a little grace. No one has the right to blame anyone for anything but Sean and Dustin who lived it. Stop ragging on the team. They were subordinates and subjected to a hellish work situation. They were all manipulated by that man.
Thank you! Took the works right out of my mouth. I've been there in that. It's traumatizing for everyone. And the master manipulator is controlling everything/everyone. Often even those closest to the victim have NO idea what is happening behind closed doors until the story is told. Give them grace and some time for self care indeed.

I don’t think the team understands something about the situation… and it’s that the same old tired lines they always use won’t work anymore:

“It’s a private matter, you’re not entitled to know, how dare you ask something like that…”

That’s gone. These things have been made public, and now since the entire company depends on Disney fans either buying vacations from Dreams Unlimited, using these boards, watching these youtube videos, and donating to Patreon, we’re entitled to know some things if we want to continue supporting the DIS and all its facets.

We want to know who knew what when. If anyone was aware and looked the other way, I don’t want to support them in any way. If people tried to suppress it in any way (such as the move out of the studio), I’m out. But if people knew and tried to help or wanted to get out but couldn’t, or were totally unaware of the major issues, that is understandable and forgivable completely. But to say there were plenty of red flags and then say you’re shocked? It doesn’t make sense and gives the impression we’re not being told the truth.

The DIS and Dreams are not entitled to our support, and if we want HONEST communication to continue to support them, that’s a reasonable request. You’re free not to give it; we’re free not to support you anymore.

Also, and probably most importantly, is Pete benefiting from any of this? Does just being on these boards support Pete? What about the Patreon donations? What about booking through Dreams?

Ultimately, it’s a desire for knowledge about an awful situation to try and make sense of the madness. And I know it’s a tiny fraction of what the team is dealing with and absolutely insignificant to the point of laughable to what the actual victims dealt with. But it’s not done out of malice. It’s done out of hurt and disappointment and disillusionment (again, in a very very small semblance compared to the bigger picture, I know).

I think some of us are anxious for answers because the DIS was important in a silly little way. I recently wrote a book about Disney and mental health, which is currently being published, and I name-checked the DisBoards as a place that Disney fans could go for community, and to feel included. I interviewed one of the most beloved people on these forums, who is sadly not with us anymore about it, about how much the DISBoards helped her. This place mattered. These people mattered. I’ve met some of them. I loved them as commentators. It was a part of the Disney fandom. And now it’s potentially stained in a way that is hard to overcome, but CAN be overcome… we just want to hear the truth and be allowed open commun

I’m sure they’re working on it but because no broadcast type announcement has been made on FB, the homepage, etc., many people even on these boards are likely still unaware. You can see people trickling into this thread and still trying to figure out what’s going on.
In no way, shape, or form did I want to hurt my travel agent, because she is beyond amazing and helped us through the difficulty of being on the very last 2020 DCL sailing (Dream March 2020). However, without knowing where things are headed with the company, etc., and needing to book our cruise this weekend, I had to make a change. This entire situation is NOT about me or any client, but as individuals, we have to make business choices, and in the absence of any other information, I made mine.

I hope this is allowed to stay but I understand if it’s not.

Rteetz here…

I have seen some discussion of myself here. I wanted to chime in. First and foremost, I commend the courage and bravery of those who have endured such horrific things. I am glad these people are in seemingly better places.

As for myself I also feel I’m in a better place. I loved my time here at the Dis. From curating the rumors and news forum, writing for Wdwinfo, moderating the Disboards Facebook group, guest appearing on podcasts and whatever else. I met dozens and dozens of people through this site and fandom. Many of which I am happy to say are still friends to this day. I’d never trade that for the world.

My departure from here wasn’t all that great. I tried to bring reform and change. Maybe I didn’t go about that in the right way. I was young (albeit still am). I’ve learned a lot. I’ve grown a lot. I’d like to think I’m wiser.

Pete certainly said some hurtful things to me. I tried to take the high road. Sometimes that’s not easy.

I have nothing but respect for the likes of Corey, Craig and the rest of the team. They were always incredibly nice to me. I know this is an extremely tough time. It may get worse before it gets better. I do truly hope for them and their families it does get better.

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
I think this is the aspect that some people are struggling with. I have zero doubt that no one knew of the breadth or severity of anything that went on behind closed doors. And I would hope that if they did, something would have been said or done. They all seem like decent people, based on the small sliver of their public-facing personas that we've all seen.

I think the questions arise, when in situations like this, individuals around or in regular contact with an abused or neglected person, instead of admitting that things seemed "off' (and there's nothing wrong with seeing odd or concerning behavior and not interpreting it the "correct" way), instead pronounce that they had zero idea anything was going on (and I am NOT quoting or paraphrasing anyone involved or associated with this discrete set of circumstances). It seems to be a pervasive attitude that society in general has adopted, under the guise of minding your own business and not getting involved in other people's affairs (no pun intended). It's almost disgustingly become a Hollywood trope anymore.

It's like the family that hears their neighbors fighting and screaming at each other, and then, out of the blue, the wife is suddenly wearing an extra large amount of eye makeup, just to drive the kids to school. It's a reasonable inference that she's not getting made up just to drop the kids off for class, although all anyone witnessed was yelling behind closed doors. I'm absolutely NOT suggesting that anyone physically hurt anyone. It's not a corollary, it's simply an analogy with more obvious, physical manifestation.

At the end of the day though, if you and Sean are comfortable with your former co-workers reactions and responses to the public revelations regarding your experiences, and your relationships with them, and are comfortable that they knew nothing and would have done something if they did, then that's all that really matters. isn't it?

I think this is the aspect that some people are struggling with. I have zero doubt that no one knew of the breadth or severity of anything that went on behind closed doors. And I would hope that if they did, something would have been said or done. They all seem like decent people, based on the small sliver of their public-facing personas that we've all seen.

I think the questions arise, when in situations like this, individuals around or in regular contact with an abused or neglected person, instead of admitting that things seemed "off' (and there's nothing wrong with seeing odd or concerning behavior and not interpreting it the "correct" way), instead pronounce that they had zero idea anything was going on (and I am NOT quoting or paraphrasing anyone involved or associated with this discrete set of circumstances). It seems to be a pervasive attitude that society in general has adopted, under the guise of minding your own business and not getting involved in other people's affairs (no pun intended). It's almost disgustingly become a Hollywood trope anymore.

It's like the family that hears their neighbors fighting and screaming at each other, and then, out of the blue, the wife is suddenly wearing an extra large amount of eye makeup, just to drive the kids to school. It's a reasonable inference that she's not getting made up just to drop the kids off for class, although all anyone witnessed was yelling behind closed doors. I'm absolutely NOT suggesting that anyone physically hurt anyone. It's not a corollary, it's simply an analogy with more obvious, physical manifestation.

At the end of the day though, if you and Sean are comfortable with your former co-workers reactions and responses to the public revelations regarding your experiences, and your relationships with them, and are comfortable that they knew nothing and would have done something if they did, then that's all that really matters. isn't it?
I love this rebuttal. A well thought out position. Thank you for such a great example. I will say in addition to what you've touched on... simply giving them time to feel it, process it, and develop a plan to communicate with the DIS / Dreams community is super imperative for them. Everyone here is a human being.

The last thing I'll say, for now... the statement I made and the red flags mentioned are in regard to the story Dustin shared and that relationship. I have not yet commented about the working environment at The DIS and I don't plan on it at this time. I am an employee of Dreams Unlimited Travel and my focus right now is helping out however I can for us to have a positive future and continue making entertaining and helpful content.

What I will say is I am extremely appreciative of the opportunities and support I've been given within this company, the camaraderie I've shared with past and current team members, and the friendships that have developed with the team as well as the listeners and viewers. Every time a team member leaves there is a ton of speculation whether it is announced or it happens quietly. I know that it's confusing and frustrating for many of you in those moments and it paints a picture in a time like this.

I have lost touch with a few of the former team members, but there's not a single one of them that I wouldn't lend a hand or ear to if they needed it. I have always tried my best to support them. They have and continue to do the same for me. I do not have a story like Dustin's, nor do I believe anyone else on our team does, but everyone who has ever worked in the company does share a lot of commonalities. Whether people choose to leave or the choice is made for them, we were all very aware of the same things and the difficulties of working in such an abnormal environment.

I am also happy to share more about the history of the studio and the move if anyone would like to know more but would prefer to keep it separate from this post.
Craig you guys all have my support. But I think you know that. Momma Mary

I hope this is allowed to stay but I understand if it’s not.

Rteetz here…

I have seen some discussion of myself here. I wanted to chime in. First and foremost, I commend the courage and bravery of those who have endured such horrific things. I am glad these people are in seemingly better places.

As for myself I also feel I’m in a better place. I loved my time here at the Dis. From curating the rumors and news forum, writing for Wdwinfo, moderating the Disboards Facebook group, guest appearing on podcasts and whatever else. I met dozens and dozens of people through this site and fandom. Many of which I am happy to say are still friends to this day. I’d never trade that for the world.

My departure from here wasn’t all that great. I tried to bring reform and change. Maybe I didn’t go about that in the right way. I was young (albeit still am). I’ve learned a lot. I’ve grown a lot. I’d like to think I’m wiser.

Pete certainly said some hurtful things to me. I tried to take the high road. Sometimes that’s not easy.

I have nothing but respect for the likes of Corey, Craig and the rest of the team. They were always incredible nice to me. I know this is an extremely tough time. It may get worse before it gets better. I do truly hope for them and their families it does get better.

Thanks,

Ryan
This is becoming a DIS family reunion of sorts, and I am here for it! Just one where you all can exhale a bit easier and the fam is feeling just a bit less DIS-functional. Bad pun….I know😂

Hoping the healing continues and that every day gets a bit better❤️

I’m not making that point.

It was apparent the boss was dating multiple employees/subordinates, and staying with them in the same room on work trips. The number of these relationships compounds it.

Who knew what when is down to he said/he said. That’s something unknown that everyone else wants to know. I’m focusing on what is known—that the boss was involved with multiple people under him many years his junior. And everyone was fine with it.

If we took that situation and applied it to a hypothetical business/boss/worker, I doubt anyone here would be contorting themselves into explaining it away. It’s amazing how people suspend “judgment” when it’s their eggs getting scrambled.

Easier/more convenient to put head-in-sand, as I said.
John is probably one person who knew Pete’s tendencies prior to the hiring of Dustin.

From curating the rumors and news forum, writing for Wdwinfo, moderating the Disboards Facebook group, guest appearing on podcasts and whatever else
Ryan: your day in and day out work product was incredible and so very much appreciated. You were and are still one of the most hard working people I have known. You continue to be very well thought of and are the soul of the Boards. Heidi loved you like a son. We respect you like none other. I'm so glad you have moved on and found communities who appreciate your hard work. I know you will eventually find a project that combines your passion for Disney with your incredible work ethic. These are hard times. There's an old saying. Hard times make hard men. But hard men have good hearts. Hang in there. So very happy to hear from you.

"There are definite Maoist tendencies permeating throughout society as a whole to say the least. The saturation of coerced public apologies + mob-like cancel culture + banning/blocking someone who you mildly disagree with, essentially unpersoning them from your digital awareness of them ever again.

People have just rolled into this mindset and aren’t even aware of it. It’s to the detriment of themselves creating a sanitized la-la land to interact with.

Dogpile/virtual signal/censor, these are all unhealthy normalizations people embrace. And they fall over themselves to compete in insisting they’re the most open minded and accepting in the Virtue Signaling Olympics."

Those sure are words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter