Disappointed with WL

It was evident reading the post that there was no research done at all before deciding to stay at WL.

That's my thought too.

I never had a phone in bathroom or minibar at Poly either! Who cares?

We love WL. Yes the rooms aren't as large as some, but it's a great resort. I never had a problem with beds being uncomfortable. Pool isn't any smaller then Poly IMO. Or BWI.

I wouldn't hesitate staying at WL.

While I'm sorry the OP was disappointed with their stay at the WL, I'm bewildered as to why one would choose a resort that doesn't offer the amenities desired (larger room, daybed, phone in bathroom) and then be disappointed that they didn't find them?..:confused3

Bed bugs..well, dump or deluxe it happens. Best to check the room. We have stayed at the WL many times. Our last few stays have been the Poly. We also have stayed at the BC. That being said, I check ANY room, ANY where we stay for bed bugs.

Glad we're not the only non-WL believers! We stayed there for 1st time last Aug. as the 2nd half of a split-stay (1st half was at POR) and were SO disappointed. I will agree that the exterior and lobby are gorgeous. However, this was our 1st time at a Deluxe (we'd only stayed at mods and offsite) and were very unimpressed. It was very much like a regular hotel. The Disney magic just seemed to be missing for us.

We were extremely disappointed in the pool, in the food court, in the staff (we had some very un-helpful and unfriendly front desk staff and we are NOT picky people), even in the gift shop! We made the best of things, but honestly had a much better experience at POR. I thought there was something wrong with us for not liking the WL!

Our family of 4 (me, dh, ds10, dd6) heading back to the magic this August and had planned to stay at POR again, but got a great deal at the POLY. Since we've always dreamed of staying there, we booked it.

Thank you for not making feel like we're the only ones in the world who don't love the WL!!!

We love the WL but it really is good to hear other perspectives; DW & I had always wanted to stay at the Poly but after visiting it a couple of years ago we realized that it just wasn't magical for us and not having a hot tub really turned me off, but a lot of DIS posters love the Poly so it just shows you that there is something for everyone at DW :)

OP, thanks for your review on WL. I've stayed at WL twice and it is not my favorite. Stayed once in Courtyard view (which was nice as far as view) and once in standard (awful view of loading area and strong smells from smokehouse, plus noisy with beeping trucks very early). I thought the rooms were rather small and the bathroom was very dark. I would probably only stay here again if there was a great deal but even then, I would not stay in a standard view.

Again, thank for posting. I, also, like hearing the good and the not so good so I can make a more informed decision on where I stay:)

I just wanted to post about my experience at the WL. We spent seven nights there in May, our first time at that resort, and were disappointed.

I'm writing this as a head's up to people who read here for suggestions. I'd take any of the other deluxe hotels over this one!

We have stayed at the Poly, GF, and the WL and loved it.

For people looking for suggestions, the OP was disappointed and I understand that. BUT, go and try it for yourself. I have read more negative reports for EVERY WDW resort we stayed at; than positive ones. But we have always been willing to form our own opinions and so far I have not left WDW disappointed with any of the resorts we have stayed in.

There are positives and negatives to each of the WDW resorts. Discover them for yourself. You may find your next favorite WDW resort! :thumbsup2

JMHO

While I'm sorry the OP was disappointed with their stay at the WL, I'm bewildered as to why one would choose a resort that doesn't offer the amenities desired (larger room, daybed, phone in bathroom) and then be disappointed that they didn't find them?..:confused3

Bed bugs..well, dump or deluxe it happens. Best to check the room. We have stayed at the WL many times. Our last few stays have been the Poly. We also have stayed at the BC. That being said, I check ANY room, ANY where we stay for bed bugs.

Which did you like better...Poly or BC? We are trying to decide! :) Leaning more towards Poly for the monorail. Was your room nice/clean?

We are in a 2br unit at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge and are very happy. The bed and furniture are comfy. The decor is to our taste. We got a great location. No complaints here.

Sheila

I think something everyone needs to consider is this: Nothing the OP shared about WL makes it a bad resort or even less desirable to anyone except her and those that would prefer to be at the Yacht Club.

The OP obviously has certain criteria for an enjoyable stay and while WL is a great resort her particular requirements were not met at WL.

As someone else pointed out, this merely reflects a lack of research on the OP's part not any short coming of the WL.

as to the bites, during a May visit I would almost guarantee it was Yellow flies.

As to the pool, it is not large enough for guests at the Lodge, Villa guest and pool hoppers. But that is Disney's fault and they need to stop the pool freeloaders.

Just seeking clarification as we are going to stay WL for the first time next year...finally decided after booking CR and going back and forth.....are you saying that many people use the Lodge pool that are not guests (more so than what might be found at other resorts)?

I'm trying to word this to avoid potential heated posts ;)

Just seeking clarification as we are going to stay WL for the first time next year...finally decided after booking CR and going back and forth.....are you saying that many people use the Lodge pool that are not guests (more so than what might be found at other resorts)?

When we stayed there last August, the pool was crowded every day; finding a chair was impossible. I don't know WHY, but I do know that every time we took the CR/FW/WL boat loop, many people got on at FW wearing bathing gear and then got off at WL. Make of that what you will.

Not anymore than any pool near the Magic Kingdom. I think it is problem for all of them. Si-am pretty much covered it. It is also a problem at the Polynesian.

When we stayed there last August, the pool was crowded every day; finding a chair was impossible. I don't know WHY, but I do know that every time we took the CR/FW/WL boat loop, many people got on at FW wearing bathing gear and then got off at WL. Make of that what you will.

Are WL and FW "sister" resorts..ie. like swan dolphin share the same pool, etc.? I'm guessing no. Thanks for the info....I'm leaving it at that.

For people looking for suggestions, the OP was disappointed and I understand that. BUT, go and try it for yourself. I have read more negative reports for EVERY WDW resort we stayed at; than positive ones. But we have always been willing to form our own opinions and so far I have not left WDW disappointed with any of the resorts we have stayed in.

There are positives and negatives to each of the WDW resorts. Discover them for yourself. You may find your next favorite WDW resort! :thumbsup2

JMHO

Well said!!!

Are WL and FW "sister" resorts..ie. like swan dolphin share the same pool, etc.? I'm guessing no. Thanks for the info....I'm leaving it at that.

No, FW has its own pool.

To be fair, I think part of the reason the WL pool is so crowded is because of the dvc villas there. A lot of those guests seem to prefer the main pool, so there are a ton more people using it now than there were before the villas were added.

And we also disliked that they shut down Storm Along Bay at night, and you cannot use it at all after that. All other resorts only close the pool slide. We like to swim after being in the parks all day, so that was a big deal for us. Who wants to go swim in the quiet pool when you have SAB staring you in the face?

There is a huge cost in running SAB so that is why they close it. It is the only pool with an eight foot deep section, whirlpool area, etc. For that reason, they close the entire pool area when the lifeguards go off duty.

We have stayed at the WL several times over the last 10 years. My last stay there was not the greatest, but it had nothing to do with the resort itself. We would still be staying there if it were not for the fact that we have 3 bigger boys now and staying at the Poly or CR just makes more semse for us. This resort is very special to me and will always have my heart as it is the first place that we ever stayed on property. I encourage everyone to give WL a try. It is a truly magical place.:wizard:

Which did you like better...Poly or BC? We are trying to decide! :) Leaning more towards Poly for the monorail. Was your room nice/clean?

We actually prefer the Poly. Rooms are larger and the resort just has a more relaxed, laid back feel. Which is what we're looking for when on vacation these days. We aren't particulary impressed either way with the monorail. As we often have taken the water launch to the MK while staying there. Just as convenient. Remember if your choosing the Poly simply for convenience of monorail you do have to go out of your individual "long house" and walk to the Grand Ceremonial house to acces the the monorial. So again, depending on where you're located and the weather, the convenience of the monorail is a matter of opinion. That being said we love the Poly!
As far as the BC, Storm Along Bay while visually appealing, wasn't my idea of a pool. I prefer a pool to be a pool..and not a beach. It had sand on the bottom. Again, that's just me, some people love that. I also live on an island and can go to the beach when I want...so I don't need to have it recreated, lol! Also just didn't care for how you're sort of on display..while at the pool. ALthough it is gated now..you still have people who may not be guests walking past the pool area to the docks or even walking to the studios or Epcott. I know when we stayed at the BC the resort itself was huge, and we had to change rooms as my mom was traveling with us and had difficulty walking from her room to the lobby area.
While the Volcano pool at the Poly can be a bit crowded, not as crowded as Storm Along Bay, and honestly we prefer the "quiet pol" these days. (it's also one of the few pools on Disney property that is over 8 feet in its deep end) Also if you have younger kids, they will be out of your sight at the BC while going down the slide at Storm Along Bay. (unless of course you go with them evertime, and that gets old quick). Our kids were younger when we stayed there, and I didn't like having to do that.
Rooms at the BC are much smaller than those at the Poly. At the time we were five and while they had the daybed..it was tight. Where as the Poly rooms were HUGE. We have been lucky. Requesting a Garden view in Tokelau with a view of the pool. Very nice..and relaxing. Love the balcony. Be sure you ask for a building that has a balcony or patio, in either resort..some of the balconies are just for standing, or non exisiting. A primary reason we choose a deluxe resort is a balcony..it's important to us. Our rooms at the Poly have been SPOTLESSLY clean. Staff very nice. While the BC is a beautiful resort nice, and we do visit and eat at the Cape May whenever we visit, we choose to stay at the Poly these days. Hopes this helps.

We actually prefer the Poly. Rooms are larger and the resort just has a more relaxed, laid back feel. Which is what we're looking for when on vacation these days. We aren't particulary impressed either way with the monorail. As we often have taken the water launch to the MK while staying there. Just as convenient. Remember if your choosing the Poly simply for convenience of monorail you do have to go out of your individual "long house" and walk to the Grand Ceremonial house to acces the the monorial. So again, depending on where you're located and the weather, the convenience of the monorail is a matter of opinion. That being said we love the Poly!
As far as the BC, Storm Along Bay while visually appealing, wasn't my idea of a pool. I prefer a pool to be a pool..and not a beach. It had sand on the bottom. Again, that's just me, some people love that. I also live on an island and can go to the beach when I want...so I don't need to have it recreated, lol! Also just didn't care for how you're sort of on display..while at the pool. ALthough it is gated now..you still have people who may not be guests walking past the pool area to the docks or even walking to the studios or Epcott. I know when we stayed at the BC the resort itself was huge, and we had to change rooms as my mom was traveling with us and had difficulty walking from her room to the lobby area.
While the Volcano pool at the Poly can be a bit crowded, not as crowded as Storm Along Bay, and honestly we prefer the "quiet pol" these days. (it's also one of the few pools on Disney property that is over 8 feet in its deep end) Also if you have younger kids, they will be out of your sight at the BC while going down the slide at Storm Along Bay. (unless of course you go with them evertime, and that gets old quick). Our kids were younger when we stayed there, and I didn't like having to do that.
Rooms at the BC are much smaller than those at the Poly. At the time we were five and while they had the daybed..it was tight. Where as the Poly rooms were HUGE. We have been lucky. Requesting a Garden view in Tokelau with a view of the pool. Very nice..and relaxing. Love the balcony. Be sure you ask for a building that has a balcony or patio, in either resort..some of the balconies are just for standing, or non exisiting. A primary reason we choose a deluxe resort is a balcony..it's important to us. Our rooms at the Poly have been SPOTLESSLY clean. Staff very nice. While the BC is a beautiful resort nice, and we do visit and eat at the Cape May whenever we visit, we choose to stay at the Poly these days. Hopes this helps.

Thank you SO much for your input!! Looking at pics, I feel drawn to the relaxed looking atmosphere at the Poly. I have been reading about the longhouses and it's a toss up between Tokelau and Samoa. Did the GCH seem far from Tokelau? Also how far is the beach from Tokelau? We will be requesting a Garden View room as well.
We are also a family of 5, so I really appreciated hearing what you had to say about room size.
Our kids will be 12, 8 & 5 on our trip, so dealing with SAB at BC would probably be overwhelming with our youngest. I too like to just sit in the zero entry part of the pool while the kids play.
How was transportation for you by bus (to AK, DHS & DTD)?
Sorry for all the questions! :)

I can't believe that anyone would not like the WL - next thing I'll hear is that people don't like chocolate ice cream!!!! :laughing:

But seriously, I can see how the WL is not for everyone. I believe for our 2002 trip that the rugs in the main lobby (the ones in the center around the seating area) were actually torn and had duct tape on the edges! And this was before the room refurbishments too. Remember the original armoire with the TV inside & the bear motif on the doors - ours was pretty well knocked around. [A few years back, these were on eBay & were being auctioned. (no I didn't buy any)]

Fortunately in 2008 the new furniture had been installed & the rugs weren't torn! As many have said before, do your homework before you spend a lot of $$.

And please don't bash my favorite resort! (well, OK but only a little)

WL is the only resort we have stayed at on our vacations to WDW. We've visited the other hotels, and I don't like how big some of them are. I love having everything in one building and a short walk to catch the bus or to take boat. I can't imagine staying anywhere else!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter