Disappointed with Allergy Menus

BuenaVistaBound

Planning my next trip...
Disney dining has always been a highlight of our visits to WDW, especially since my wife has a severe food allergy. They made it so easy to inform the staff when you make ADRs about allergy concerns, and we've become accustomed to a chef visiting our table and making something from the menu without the offending foods. This changed, however, on our visit last week.

In restaurant after restaurant, we were handed a pre-printed menu that detailed the allergens in each dish (which is great, normally). The only problem is that these menus typically limited DW's choices to one or two entrees at most. And this isn't counter service -- this happened at Artist Point, Hollywood Brown Derby, San Angel Inn, Sci-Fi Drive In, and Be Our Guest. Disney has clearly changed their policy regarding diners with allergy concerns.

Two places followed the routine that we are used to. At 'Ohana and Saana a chef came to the table at the beginning of the meal and offered to prepare any menu item without allergens. I guess you could say that we've been spoiled by this special treatment in the past, but it's honestly a major reason that we choose WDW for an annual family vacation.

I agree with you. My daughter has a nut allergy and I wasn't happy with the allergy free menu! We went to Flying Fish Cafe and she ordered the Orecchiette Pasta di Abruzzo Alla Bolognese from the Allergen Friendly Menu. Minutes later, the waiter came back and told us that THERE WERE PINE NUTS in it! Thank goodness, the waiter was aware! No chef came out to talk to us. I also wasn't too happy with F&W. Nobody there knows about the ingredients in the food, including the people cooking it! They had to call a manager from somewhere. I guess be careful wherever you go! image.jpeg

A chef will still come to your table upon request. My family liked the allergy menus. It streamlined the ordering process. We've experienced some long waits for chefs in the past, which can get pretty dicey with tired, hungry kids (and parents o_O). The wait staff appears to be very well-trained on allergens. A few times, my kids wanted to modify something that was o.k. for their allergies, but was gluten-free. They aren't gluten-free and don't care for gluten-free pasta, breads or breading. The wait staff was able to quickly check with the chef to request the changes. In every case, they were accommodated. Through the years, the chef table visits were clearly becoming more and more time-consuming. It was probably getting harder for them to do the main job they for which they were hired: food preparation and kitchen management.

We did DL with allergy menus and a child with multiple food allergies. Personally, I love having them as it gave us a starting off point when talking to a chef. Granted, with the multiple allergies, nothing was safe, but sometimes I could fine the offending item and ask the chef about it and see if menu items were tweaked. Did you ask to see a chef and were denied?

In the future, depending on allergy, maybe you can see the menus as that. Sometimes allergens are very clear. For DS (allergic to dairy/egg/pn/tn/sesame) I could see that something was not ok for dairy but there were mashed potatoes and I'd ask-would this be safe if potatoes were deleted? Sometimes, the chefs would ask what he'd like to have and would make anything.

I'm sorry food was so difficult.

1) Due to the Internet, more and more people are claiming allergies.
2) So many, that chefs may not have time to supervise the kitchen - and that is their job.
3) The chefs NEVER minded speaking to guests about allergies, but things are getting out of hand.
4) Many people use this as an excuse to get a special meal prepared. *
5) I have nothing against people with real allergies, but making a menu list seems like it might solve both problems.
. . . the guests that must avoid allergens
. . . the guests who try to get an off-menu item

* I have seen a first-hand witness to a lady who DEMANDED to speak with the chef. She rattled off a series of allergies and wanted a meal that met those requirements. OK, fair enough. After the chef left, she signaled the SERVER and ordered an appetizer from the menu that obviously had the ingredients she needed to avoid. When the SERVER reminded her of the ingredients, the lady said something like, "That's OK, I can get by with that.". The SERVER came back shortly and said the chef would not allow her to be served the appy, because it might make her ill. The lady guest became almost livid, and actually left the eatery. It appeared to us (rightfully or not), the whole scenario was a scam to order something off-menu.

You should still be able to speak to a chef if you need to. My DD is allergic to nuts, but also to foods not in the top 8. The nut-free menu helps her to get an idea of what her options are, then we speak to the chef to discuss the other ingredients she's allergic to.

We've never had a problem getting a chef to speak to us and they've always been wonderful. We try to make sure we get the names of the chefs we speak to and then write a letter to WDW once we get home, naming all of the chefs who helped us.

I come from a family of restaurant owners and chefs so I know just how busy that kitchen is. It's impossible for the chef to come out and talk to everyone with an issue and likely to get a mistake made in the kitchen if the chef is not there supervising. I'm lucky in that no one in my family has allergies to food, my son won't eat certain things but it's usually pretty easy to see if they are on the menu or if in doubt, we ask the waitstaff. If there is something you have lived with, you are usually pretty savy about what dishes might contain it. If there is something you are unclear on, just tell the waitstaff your issue and ask if a certain dish contains any of the problem items. It's easy enough for them to just ask in the kitchen, chances are when they do now the chef is alerted to the issue and can then advise them on what to recommend. Think of how many people go through the restaurants at Disney and imagine if the chef had to come out and talk to each table that had issues.

We were told by a chef that in order to make it on the allergy menu, it has to be free of at least 4 allergens. So, if you only need to avoid 1, like gluten, there are other choices, but you need to ask to speak with the chef. We started off with the allergy menu and if something appealed to my 13 yo dd with celiac, then she ordered it. If there was something on the regular menu that just needed a sub like bread or pasta that she wanted, then she talked with the chef and was able to order it.

I agree with you. My daughter has a nut allergy and I wasn't happy with the allergy free menu! We went to Flying Fish Cafe and she ordered the Orecchiette Pasta di Abruzzo Alla Bolognese from the Allergen Friendly Menu. Minutes later, the waiter came back and told us that THERE WERE PINE NUTS in it! Thank goodness, the waiter was aware! No chef came out to talk to us. I also wasn't too happy with F&W. Nobody there knows about the ingredients in the food, including the people cooking it! They had to call a manager from somewhere. I guess be careful wherever you go! View attachment 135874

Hi, I just wanted to point out that based on the menu you posted, it does not state that that particular dish is safe for those with tree nut allergies -- just those with fish, peanut and soy allergies. By omitting "tree nut", that alerts you that it may not be safe for those with tree nut allergies (although, technically a pine nut is a seed, not a nut). I know those menus are a little confusing, though!

Hi, I just wanted to point out that based on the menu you posted, it does not state that that particular dish is safe for those with tree nut allergies -- just those with fish, peanut and soy allergies. By omitting "tree nut", that alerts you that it may not be safe for those with tree nut allergies (although, technically a pine nut is a seed, not a nut). I know those menus are a little confusing, though!
I didn't realize that. Waiters just plopped the menu in front of us and didn't explain. Good to know for next trip! Thanks!

I suppose what they are trying to do is to head some of the consultation off at the pass by showing the guests what they can order that meets their specifications, at least regarding some of the most frequently seen allergens. If they don't want anything that will meet their specifications, or their specifications can't be met by the menu, then they can talk to the chef. But if even a few guests decide they can just order off menu, that gives the chef more time to manage the kitchen.

Last edited:
I have a dairy allergy and eat very little meat (basically just the occasional fish). At every location I was given an allergy menu and then told by the waiter/waitress that if there was not something that would work for me they would go get the chef. I did find the one time I had to ask for a chef (Le Cellier) that they were less creative than in the past, but that meal had a lot of issue anyway. Basically, I liked having the allergy menus, when they worked as long as there is still the option to talk to a chef when it doesn't work for you. I like knowing that I'll be able to order something in a restaurant without having to do a lot of research.

This might be overly concerned, but I have an allergy to mushrooms and at the past when we ate at 'Ohana they would make us veggies without mushrooms and I would just avoid the salad. Are they still somewhat accommodating? I would hope so.

I think the menu will help some people like my brother who has a nut allergy. He doesn't want to have to wait to talk to the chef before he can order when there isn't even anything with nuts in it.

I HOPE what Disney is doing is trying to balance the chefs time, but not taking away simple options for people where things can be made with items removed.

This might be overly concerned, but I have an allergy to mushrooms and at the past when we ate at 'Ohana they would make us veggies without mushrooms and I would just avoid the salad. Are they still somewhat accommodating? I would hope so.

I think the menu will help some people like my brother who has a nut allergy. He doesn't want to have to wait to talk to the chef before he can order when there isn't even anything with nuts in it.

I HOPE what Disney is doing is trying to balance the chefs time, but not taking away simple options for people where things can be made with items removed.

I don't know about 'Ohana, but from what I've read you need to simply let them no you have an "unusual" allergy that the allergy menu does not cover. They will then bring out the chef and make modifications as in the past.

I agree that the menus work well for folks like your brother and me in a lot of situations. In my case I have a dairy allergy and basically need to know what's in the sauce or cooked in butter. The exception for me is when the fish or vegetarian options won't work and then I need to speak to a chef. As the allergy menus become more available online, it's even better for those of us with "simple" allergies to be able to know in advance and consider where to book ADRs.

I agree that Disney is trying to balance and like many things you can't satisfy everyone.

I'm allergic to shellfish and mango. I found the allergy menus to be ridiculous and not meet my needs at all. What they need to do is list ingredients (Top 8, whatever) for each menu item on the regular menu, then we can make informed choices. Obviously mango won't make the top 8 but I would just ask the server.

I could eat 99% of the stuff of the regular menu.

I'm allergic to shellfish and mango. I found the allergy menus to be ridiculous and not meet my needs at all. What they need to do is list ingredients (Top 8, whatever) for each menu item on the regular menu, then we can make informed choices. Obviously mango won't make the top 8 but I would just ask the server.

I could eat 99% of the stuff of the regular menu.

I agree with this. They could use a key to denote the top 8 allergies in each dish. Similar to how ethnic restaurants will denote spicy dishes. Then beyond that, anyone could feel free to speak to the Chef.

I am fine with an allergy menu as an option but this new push to replace a discussion with the chef with just the menu has me extremely concerned.
On our September trip, my daughter's dairy free dessert was not dairy free and she came very close to dying. This was our first experience with the allergy menu and we were told to order from the menu and that a chef consult wouldn't be needed. (This was a table service restaurant where her dairy allergy had been reported with our reservation, mentioned at check-in, mentioned again to the server, ordered from the allergy menu, and the dessert came with the wooden stick labeling it as an "Allergy Meal" item.) She went into an immediate anaphylactic episode with vomiting, wheezing, and nose watering. We ran with her to first aid (the restaurant was just around the corner) where we administered the epi pen in the waiting room. Within 3 minutes of arriving at First Aid, she was hooked up to monitors and being attended to by EMT's. Disney evacuated us to the hospital where she suffered a severe allergy asthma attack en route. We spent the next 5 hours in the hospital receiving more epi, steroids, & oxygen. This was day 1 of our trip.

For the remainder of that trip, the allergy menus were presented each time we reminded them of her allergy at check-in (or at counter for QS meals). In a few places, there were hesitations when we asked for a chef. We actually had to become very firm with our request to see a chef in 2 restaurants. The chef's were all amazing and did a fantastic job - as usual - of making suggestions and giving us information. One chef at a QS told us that in his kitchen line only certain staff were allowed to handle allergy orders. He reviewed our tray before we left the counter and discovered that the dairy free cookie had been substituted with a regular one. It was on his recommendation that we called Guest Services to discuss our experiences that week with allergy menus and the pushback about a chef consult.

We told Guest Services that the hesitation we experienced came from regular CM staff (all Chefs were very accommodating). It seemed as if to those CM staff members, the allergy menu had replaced the need for a chef meeting. We wanted to make sure that this was just some isolated misunderstanding that could be resolved with further training and not a trend that Disney was moving towards. Guest Services assured us that it was not a new procedure or a trend - guests should always be offered a meeting with the chef. But after reading this thread, I am fearful that it has become standard practice now. We leave for a Thanksgiving trip in a few days and I will be taking careful note of how our requests (we will continue to request one for every meal) for a chef consult are handled. Those allergy menus are not a fail safe.

I am fine with an allergy menu as an option but this new push to replace a discussion with the chef with just the menu has me extremely concerned.
On our September trip, my daughter's dairy free dessert was not dairy free and she came very close to dying. This was our first experience with the allergy menu and we were told to order from the menu and that a chef consult wouldn't be needed. (This was a table service restaurant where her dairy allergy had been reported with our reservation, mentioned at check-in, mentioned again to the server, ordered from the allergy menu, and the dessert came with the wooden stick labeling it as an "Allergy Meal" item.) She went into an immediate anaphylactic episode with vomiting, wheezing, and nose watering. We ran with her to first aid (the restaurant was just around the corner) where we administered the epi pen in the waiting room. Within 3 minutes of arriving at First Aid, she was hooked up to monitors and being attended to by EMT's. Disney evacuated us to the hospital where she suffered a severe allergy asthma attack en route. We spent the next 5 hours in the hospital receiving more epi, steroids, & oxygen. This was day 1 of our trip.

For the remainder of that trip, the allergy menus were presented each time we reminded them of her allergy at check-in (or at counter for QS meals). In a few places, there were hesitations when we asked for a chef. We actually had to become very firm with our request to see a chef in 2 restaurants. The chef's were all amazing and did a fantastic job - as usual - of making suggestions and giving us information. One chef at a QS told us that in his kitchen line only certain staff were allowed to handle allergy orders. He reviewed our tray before we left the counter and discovered that the dairy free cookie had been substituted with a regular one. It was on his recommendation that we called Guest Services to discuss our experiences that week with allergy menus and the pushback about a chef consult.

We told Guest Services that the hesitation we experienced came from regular CM staff (all Chefs were very accommodating). It seemed as if to those CM staff members, the allergy menu had replaced the need for a chef meeting. We wanted to make sure that this was just some isolated misunderstanding that could be resolved with further training and not a trend that Disney was moving towards. Guest Services assured us that it was not a new procedure or a trend - guests should always be offered a meeting with the chef. But after reading this thread, I am fearful that it has become standard practice now. We leave for a Thanksgiving trip in a few days and I will be taking careful note of how our requests (we will continue to request one for every meal) for a chef consult are handled. Those allergy menus are not a fail safe.

First of all, I want to say I am sorry that you and your daughter had to experience that and I am glad that she ended up okay. I am very concerned as someone that has multiple allergies (not all in the top 8 or whatever, many are unusual). I HAVE to talk to a chef each time, and learned that I must last trip when I was ordering my meal at the Plaza and was told by the Chef that he couldn't put it on a croissant as in the past because they were not safe from cross contamination anymore). Had I not known, I could have gone into anaphylactic episode. I will be continuing to be adamant about having a chef come out to speak in detail with me, and don't care what others think around me because this is my life we are talking about. @KimberlyE, Please report back after your Thanksgiving trip and let us know your experiences with this. I hope that you all have a wonderful and safe trip to the World.

That is so frightening! I am so sorry. I hate that part of the problem it's a spectrum of reactions. There are people like me who get covered in a rash for two days if I eat something cooked with mushrooms which in the end is not THAT big of a deal. I don't actually eat the mushrooms, so I'm not sure if it'd be worse if I did. Then people think everyone is like that, but there are people like your daughter and my brother who will actually die within minutes if they eat their allergen and people see people like me and think it's no big deal. I HATE it. Food allergies are so scary and not just people being picky.

I think you were kind to Disney. I would have been FURIOUS and done more than talking to Guest Services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter