Disappointed in Easter Week hours

Right now we've got a 7:45am BOG on a day with a 9am opening (Saturday before Easter). So, I guess it can go one of three ways for us:
1. Things stay as they are and we're deep in the park and ready to roll well before the RD crowds arrive.
2. MK changes to 8am opening and we're still eating when the RD crowds come swarming in.
3. MK changes to 8am opening with 7am EMH, and we'll get in before our ADR, hit Peter Pan on the way to BOG, and head to the less mobbed attractions after breakfast and before our FP+.

It'll work out. I'm not sweating it.

For purposes of contrast, We're second-class guests, so here are our options, 7:30am BOG on 3/24:
1. Things stay as they are and we are deep in the park and ready to roll well before the RD crowds arrive.
2. MK changes to 8am with no EMH, we woof down our brekkie and just edge out the RD.
3. MK changes to EMH 8am or 7am and we choose between hanging out around the park for awhile, or canceling our ADR.

I'm not going Easter, but do have a question about AM EMH. Are they as useful at busy times as slower times? We were there a couple weeks ago and had so much accomplished in an hour at the parks (although didn't make MK EMH). I know it'll be more crowded, but are you still able to ride a head liners a couple times then move onto a few other things with low lines until 11ish?

I'm not going Easter, but do have a question about AM EMH. Are they as useful at busy times as slower times? We were there a couple weeks ago and had so much accomplished in an hour at the parks (although didn't make MK EMH). I know it'll be more crowded, but are you still able to ride a head liners a couple times then move onto a few other things with low lines until 11ish?

Although it will be busy, it will still be the LEAST busy of any time during the rest of the day.

I hate to break it to you, but EMH are only for guests who are staying on site. So 7am EMH would do you no good anyway.
A 7:30 BOG means you get into the park before the 8am rope drop crowd.
Sorry for the confusion. I have been to Disney many times in the last few years. I made a one night reservation on site so I can do magic Kingdom EMH on 2 days of our trip. Normally I avoid EMHs because those are the most crowded days, but during holidays the early and late emhs at Magic Kingdom are the only time you can ride without a wait. The reason I said the 7 30 BOG is a waste is because with an 8am opening they will most likely let everyone else in at 745 and therefore you would be behind the crowds. If they do a 7am BOG then maybe you might make it out in time, but that's a gamble.

RD is still the best time of day especially at MK if you do everything BUT 7DMT. The entire park is in that line for the first hour (much like TSMM). It isn't as good as it once was with the FP+ line starting right at opening but it is still the best bet.

The parade cut backs totally match the rumors from a couple weeks ago that parades would be cut back to 1 a day to cut costs. Extending the operating hours would make sense if they can make money by doing so, but if those hours will cost the parks division more money it could be they are waiting to see if it will be absolutely necessary.

Disney usually bases extended park hours on projected crowds. Any chance that reservations are down versus last year?

The crowd levels are forecasted to be 10 so I can't imagine that it wouldn't be necessary. They've done it for years.

It is going to be a matter of how much guests will tolerate before they give up going. I've felt for the last few years that return guests are not their target audience however even complete newbies if they return home complaining how miserably crowded it was can start some really bad word of mouth that would discourage future newbies.

Remember that park hours actually create revenue, not just expense.
I'm certain that there is some sort of formula that Disney uses to weight the costs/benefits of extended hours. But from a purely anecdotal viewpoint, Disney seems to go kicking and screaming into longer hours. It does not seem to be something that they want/like to do. So I think that tells us which way the wind blows in terms of revenue versus cost. How many extra sets of mouse ears and balloons do people buy between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. that they didn't buy already? From friends and family members who worked at WDW, they all report that getting Disney to add park hours was like pulling teeth. They just didn't want to do it. And if the formula worked out in favor of higher revenue for longer hours, WDW would be open 24/7. Instead they shut down when they hit the point of diminishing returns. And again, anecdotally, this seems to be around 10:00 p.m. as far as the MK is concerned. It must be 9:00 for Epcot because Epcot is never open later than that except for EMH days.

There have been multiple news reports that Shanghai Disney is over budget and the other parks are The other parks are asked to lower their operating costs to help cover it. Last year Disney themselves reported historically high crowds so I doubt it. It is definitely a money issue.

Disney usually bases extended park hours on projected crowds. Any chance that reservations are down versus last year?

I'm certain that there is some sort of formula that Disney uses to weight the costs/benefits of extended hours. But from a purely anecdotal viewpoint, Disney seems to go kicking and screaming into longer hours. It does not seem to be something that they want/like to do. So I think that tells us which way the wind blows in terms of revenue versus cost. How many extra sets of mouse ears and balloons do people buy between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. that they didn't buy already? From friends and family members who worked at WDW, they all report that getting Disney to add park hours was like pulling teeth. They just didn't want to do it. And if the formula worked out in favor of higher revenue for longer hours, WDW would be open 24/7. Instead they shut down when they hit the point of diminishing returns. And again, anecdotally, this seems to be around 10:00 p.m. as far as the MK is concerned. It must be 9:00 for Epcot because Epcot is never open later than that except for EMH days.

Wait a minute. You mean it's all about the money? :p

The parade cut backs totally match the rumors from a couple weeks ago that parades would be cut back to 1 a day to cut costs. Extending the operating hours would make sense if they can make money by doing so, but if those hours will cost the parks division more money it could be they are waiting to see if it will be absolutely necessary.
They've added an early run of FoF the week after Easter. There's now a 12pm and 3pm starting on 3/28, same day they extend the opening to 8am.
I was hoping for an earlier MSEP, but haven't seen that added. Maybe it's more expensive to run than FoF?
I just think it's crazy that they're doing the earlier opening and extra parade the day after Easter but not on Easter. Especially if they're doing the Easter pre-parade before FoF. Of course, I haven't heard that they ARE doing that. Has anyone?

There have been multiple news reports that Shanghai Disney is over budget and the other parks are The other parks are asked to lower their operating costs to help cover it. Last year Disney themselves reported historically high crowds so I doubt it. It is definitely a money issue.

Right so cutbacks in other areas definitely make this a money issue? I'm no English PH.D., but the word you are looking for may be "likely" or "probably" or another anonym.

But unless you work for Disney management and made this decision yourself, I think definitely is the wrong word.

You have no idea what disney's proprietary crowd predictors look like. Easter is a weird holiday because it jumps around. Last years record crowds don't necessarily mean this years crowds will be as bad.

No doubt it will be crowded, but all we can do is speculate.

The crowd levels are forecasted to be 10 so I can't imagine that it wouldn't be necessary. They've done it for years.

It is going to be a matter of how much guests will tolerate before they give up going. I've felt for the last few years that return guests are not their target audience however even complete newbies if they return home complaining how miserably crowded it was can start some really bad word of mouth that would discourage future newbies.

Crowd calendars primarily use historical data because they don't have access to all of the data Disney does. I promise you Disney has a much better formula for predicting crowds.

Crowd calendars primarily use historical data because they don't have access to all of the data Disney does. I promise you Disney has a much better formula for predicting crowds.

Since you don't "work for Disney management", are you sure you should use the word "promise"?

I guess I'm in the minority. We're there Easter week. I'm happy they did change MK opening to 8 am (unlike the week before Easter), but also happy they did not add EMH every morning. We are on site, and would have felt compelled to be at the park by the 7 am opening on our two MK days. I was NOT looking forward to getting DGS13 moving and out the door by 6 am! 7am will be much more palatable, to be at the park by 8.

Disney is definitely expecting large crowds for the week after Easter. I received a phone call from Disney yesterday. The young man who called knew that we have Fastpasses at MK for the evening of 3/29. He said that we may want to change our plans since they are expecting MK to reach capacity from 3/28-3/31. He told me that if we didn't change our plans, he recommended arriving at rope drop or in the evening. Since we will arrive in the evening, our plans won't change. I didn't ask how we could change our plans if that was our decision. Would they offer Fastpasses at another park?

I did ask why the hours were shortened this year. We go every Easter and take advantage of MK EMH's at 7:00 AM. He told me this is being discussed at meetings they are having daily. I also expressed my displeasure at these apparent changes. The young man used to work in guest services at MK. He said the early EMH made it easier on the park as it did disperse the crowds a bit. Hopefully, hours will be added as in previous years.

I guess I'm in the minority. We're there Easter week. I'm happy they did change MK opening to 8 am (unlike the week before Easter), but also happy they did not add EMH every morning. We are on site, and would have felt compelled to be at the park by the 7 am opening on our two MK days. I was NOT looking forward to getting DGS13 moving and out the door by 6 am! 7am will be much more palatable, to be at the park by 8.

You are not in the minority. I feel the same way you do. I will be there March 24-April 1. It's my first visit during Easter week and was not happy to hear there may be EMH at 7am. I'm somewhat releaved they haven't change the EMH. I don't want to get up and out the door at the crack of dawn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter