Disabled boarding with DCL (in Miami, if that matters)

Geekuality

Earning My Ears
Hi,

Newbie DCL cruiser here (over 150 nights on NCL and Celebrity) with a question about boarding process with DCL. We booked last minute so I have not had time to research too much and was only able to get a very late arrival time while checking in online.

On both cruiselines we have sailed before they offer priority boarding for disabled persons regardless of the assigned arrival time - after VIPs (suite passengers etc), but still before the general boarding starts - so that persons with disabilities can board on their own pace without getting pushed and shoved by other passengers rushing onboard.

Is it true that DCL does not provide any special boarding for disabled persons?

I already emailed DCL.Special Services and received a copy-paste answer that really didn't address my actual question except for this:

"Please be advised that the first two hours are typically the busiest and a later check-in time may be the least impactful. Staterooms are available after 1:30 PM. If you have any special questions or concerns during embarkation, please visit the Pier Supervisor’s desk for assistance."

So if we arrive to the terminal soon after 10am like we do with other cruiselines (I know that the actual boarding starts closer to noon), are we forced to sit and wait until our assigned time or does a visit to the Pier Supervisor's desk make any difference?

We always prefer earlier boarding so that we can have a relaxed sit-down lunch around noon and as soon as cabins are ready around 1:30pm, retreat to the cabin to get some much needed rest before the muster drill (which is an ordeal of its own).

:welcome:

To my knowledge, DCL does not offer priority boarding for disabled passengers. If you need some kind of specific assistance, you can certainly ask when you arrive. Depending on the request/need they may be able to offer something, but they do not standardly offer priority boarding so I would not expect it unless you have some significant unusual needs.

When you did your online check-in, you selected a PAT (Port Arrival Time) -- this is the time you are expected to arrive at the port. Boarding cards are handed out when you check-in at the port and tied directly to the PAT (so an early PAT = lower/earlier boarding, later PAT = higher boarding number). Boarding typically begins around 11:30am and by about 12:30 they will call "open boarding" which means anyone may board regardless of the boarding number; I believe they stop handing out boarding numbers at this point as well. So a "very late" PAT does not necessarily mean you must arrive at 3:00pm. I'd suggest looking to arrive around 12:30pm and you should have a short wait in the terminal. Of course, logistics of the prior cruise debarking may impact this but that can't really be planned (for instance, due to weather the Wonder recently was extremely delayed returning to Galveston and boarding couldn't begin until late afternoon).

Lunch is served at Cariocas (a buffet in the main dining room) until I think 2pm and at Cabanas (the casual buffet restaurant) until at least 3pm; the quick-service food locations on the pool deck should be open until 3:30pm when everything shuts down for the muster drill (4:00pm). Staterooms should be available around 1:30pm.

I don't know what time the Miami port actually opens but I believe it isn't until 11:00am, so arriving earlier than that will only serve to put you into a mass crowd of people first waiting in line to enter the terminal and then waiting around the terminal for quite a bit until your boarding number. I'd suggest arriving around 12:30pm for minimal waiting to board.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've always found DCL's Special Services department to be quite pleasant and knowledgeable. If you aren't sure the email you received addresses your concerns, you could call:

For questions or more information, contact Disney Cruise Line Special Services at:
Phone: (407) 566-3602 Fax: (407) 566-3760 TTY: (407) 566-7455
Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com

They do not. I have sailed with DCL 5 times, and it wasn't an option each time I went

Thanks for your prompt replies! :) I'll see if we can adjust our morning schedule, but if not, then we'll just hang around if there is nothing that can be done to the matter at the terminal.

1) DCL doesn't offer such priority-boarding.
2) They comply with ADA, and ADA provides for Access not Excess.
3) If the person can get around, including using a mobility device, priority boarding is not necessary.
4) The ramps are gentle enough that handicapped persons should be able to navigate them.
5) Sine they have an orderly boarding routine, there should be no crowd rush (ala: Cattle Stampede).
6) Boarding early for your preference of simply eating lunch, seems not to be a good reason for pre-boarding.
. . . Not sure of a Courtesy Desk would consider this a medical reason for such an allowance.
. . . If it were allowed, I think everyone would try for it.
. . . As for the muster drill, it is only about 20-25 minutes out of your vacation, so should be a concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter