DIS Unplugged Show Feedback and Suggestions

Rhetorically speaking,

I am Not really sure why you would even point out Kevin as an example considering you understand that everyone does it or you "get it" or if you " have no problem with the points he makes" or if you "usually agree with him". Just seems like a pretty bold statement that you feel he is " hijacking conversations in order to voice his opinion on a given matter" when you agree with what he says. He makes no qualms about telling people how he sees things or sugar coating it so not to hurt someones fragile ego.

In all honesty, I also find as I get older, I make my opinion a bit more predominant in conversation, because I am tired of people not listening to me the first 5 times I speak to a certain subject. Kevin, I would think, is in the same boat, but more so, considering the line of work and public he deals with. I have heard him talk about several topics Multiple times not only on the pod cast but on the forums as well. I would assume he does not keep speaking to the same subject because he enjoys repeating himself on a weekly or monthly basis, so he interjects a bit more pronounced or "abrasive" (for lack of a better term) then some newbies...oh well.

I don't want to be "that person" but in my opinion; if you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it.

Dear "That Person",

I did not think my point was that complicated. I like what he says; I don't care for the way he says it. The two are not mutually exclusive.

And you seem to admit that he can come off as "abrasive", as you put it. That doesn't appear to bother you, which is fine. It bothers me.

Finally, thank you, but, believe it or not, I actually was already aware that if I do not like something, I do not have to listen to it. 'Cause that was the point of Dustin's original post, right? "If you don't like what you are hearing, stop listening to the podcast"?

Last edited:
I do feel the need to post a criticism after listening to this week's show. During the segment discussing the top 10 threads on the boards, I found it disappointing how unfamiliar the team was with by and large with the topics of those threads and therefore quite clearly, the boards as a whole. The most glaring example to me was the lack of familiarity with the ADR cancellation threads. Those threads (one for each month) are a DIS Boards staple and have been around forever. Now, I do realize that the team members probably have little to no use for those threads. However, in preparation for the show, they should make themselves familiar with something like that before the show if they don't already know what it is. It just comes off bad when most of the team is not privy to what is happening on the boards outside of the "DIS Unplugged" board.

I will echo this criticism. To be fair, however, the DIS Unplugged is usually quite well-organized and well-prepared. I cannot stand it when a podcast takes listener questions/e-mails and tries to answer them from the hip, only to repeatedly give anemic, uninformed and ultimately unhelpful answers ("Be Our Guest" podcast, I am looking squarely at you).

If you're going to take the time to put on a show, then take the time to put on a show, y'know?

Last edited:
Dear "That Person",

I did not think my point was that complicated. I like what he says; I don't care for the way he says it. The two are not mutually exclusive.

And you seem to admit that he can come off as "abrasive", as you put it. That doesn't appear to bother you, which is fine. It bothers me.

Finally, thank you, but, believe it or not, I actually was already aware that if I do not like something, I do not have to listen to it. 'Cause that was the point of Dustin's original post, right? "If you don't like what you are hearing, stop listening to the podcast"?

Hi Squirk,

I feel it's time to respond. After all, you have now posted three times that you like what I say, don't like the way I say it and find me overbearing and/or abrasive..

I was asked to be on the podcast because I was/am knowledgeable about the subject and I had/have opinions...which I was/am not afraid to share.

I like and respect each and every person I work with and I try to make sure to apologize when I think I have cut someone off...but it's a round table discussion. It happens.

I have no plans to alter the way I interact with the rest of the team, the manner in which I express my opinions or my overall tone. I guess the old adage applies...i am who I am. Take me or leave me.

While I would certainly never suggest that if you don't like it...dont listen (that would be rude on my part), I will, in the spirit of "constructive criticism", suggest that you learn to get past it.

I've reached middle age and I can say with certainty and strength of conviction that I'm probably not going to change...no matter how many more times you feel the need to point out what you consider to be my flaws. Again..I am who I am.

I'm not sure if this changes your opinion but, that was never my goal.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:
Wow. Suggesting someone change how they are? "Learn to get past it"? Unprofessional. Shame on you. I'm deleting the podcast. There are much better ones out there and you, sir, are a big reason why I don't care for the podcast. Even more so now.

Wow. Suggesting someone change how they are? "Learn to get past it"? Unprofessional. Shame on you. I'm deleting the podcast. There are much better ones out there and you, sir, are a big reason why I don't care for the podcast. Even more so now.

tumblr_inline_noju1mMp4r1qlbkes_500.gif

Exactly how does one "change how they are" and why do you think the suggestion was made?

I don't want to speak on behalf of any of the team, but I can speak on my knowledge of the boards and that is it's not great. I obviously keep an eye on things from time to time and post whenever I can, but the bulk of my job has nothing to do with the boards. I'm sure I could spend some time on here during my free time to learn the ins and outs a bit more, but I usually escape away from the theme park world when I get these glittering moments. It is note that I have a problem with the message boards. Now that I live in Florida and have the job that I have, I just don't have the time to dedicate to adding another aspect in or I'd be working the equivalent of two full-time jobs every week. Pete enjoys when we work hard, but he doesn't want us to die from exhaustion either. So, you will see me trying to get in some more boards time and learn my way back around after being off for awhile, but it will be most likely only in Universal or over here helping out with any questions that pop up!

I understand what you're saying about not adding even more work to your schedule and I don't think any of you should have to read or participate on the boards, unless it's one of your assigned responsibilities (e.g., if you're a moderator). For the Top Ten Threads segment, though, reading a portion of each of those ten threads, even if it's just the opening post, should be part of the assignment, though if it's a longer thread, reading the most recent comments would be helpful, too (e.g., the 2014 snack thread that carried into 2015). I look at that segment as a laudatory comment about the engagement of the statement or question posed in the thread and a kudos to the original poster for creating a thread that is so popular. I may be recalling this incorrectly, but when Pete reads the Top Ten Threads, he always seems to know what the thread is about, has some familiarity with the comments on the thread, and discusses them respectfully. The Top Ten Threads segment read by JL seemed dismissive and disinterested and it was clear she had done little, if any, research. A perfect example is the cancelled ADR thread. The opening post explains exactly what the thread is about, but she hadn't even read that much, because someone else (I'm sorry, but I don't remember now who it was) had to explain the purpose of the thread to her.

If I've misinterpreted any of the other posters comments, I apologize. These are my feelings about that segment (and about whether or not podcasters should be required to participate on the boards and when) and I don't mean to speak for anyone else.

I don't want to speak on behalf of any of the team, but I can speak on my knowledge of the boards and that is it's not great. I obviously keep an eye on things from time to time and post whenever I can, but the bulk of my job has nothing to do with the boards. I'm sure I could spend some time on here during my free time to learn the ins and outs a bit more, but I usually escape away from the theme park world when I get these glittering moments. It is note that I have a problem with the message boards. Now that I live in Florida and have the job that I have, I just don't have the time to dedicate to adding another aspect in or I'd be working the equivalent of two full-time jobs every week. Pete enjoys when we work hard, but he doesn't want us to die from exhaustion either. So, you will see me trying to get in some more boards time and learn my way back around after being off for awhile, but it will be most likely only in Universal or over here helping out with any questions that pop up!

That's fair and I don't feel it's necessary to have all 7,8,or 9 people (whatever the number would be that particular week) on the show to be "experts" on those threads. However, I think it's reasonable to expect that at least a few (one of which should always include the host) should be able to discuss the thread and its topic intelligently. Perhaps it's just a problem with how I view the podcast...where I view it as sort of an extension of the boards, while the team sees the podcast and boards as two completely separate entities under the "DIS" umbrella that don't really overlap with each other.

Last edited:
I think if you keep up with it you will realize how in control it actually is. Yes, we do wander off on some topics from time to time, but I don't want to limit us either.

Trust me, if you go back and watch or listen to the first 10 shows followed immediately by the last 10 shows we've done you will see the distinction immediately like night and day.
Thanks, Craig. Every new show, or new team, takes some time to get in a groove that works best. It was true with the main show when it switched to video, it was true when JL or Ryno joined the team, it was true when The Trip started, and it's true of the Universal show(s). As I said, I've started listening to the show again - and enjoying it - even though I have no idea when I will visit Universal again. I like keeping up with what's happening and I know all of you guys personally which makes it more like listening to my friends chat, as others have said.

Keep up the great work. See you at the New England meet!

Hi Squirk,

I feel it's time to respond. After all, you have now posted three times that you like what I say, don't like the way I say it and find me overbearing and/or abrasive..

I was asked to be on the podcast because I was/am knowledgeable about the subject and I had/have opinions...which I was/am not afraid to share.

I like and respect each and every person I work with and I try to make sure to apologize when I think I have cut someone off...but it's a round table discussion. It happens.

I have no plans to alter the way I interact with the rest of the team, the manner in which I express my opinions or my overall tone. I guess the old adage applies...i am who I am. Take me or leave me.

While I would certainly never suggest that if you don't like it...dont listen (that would be rude on my part), I will, in the spirit of "constructive criticism", suggest that you learn to get past it.

I've reached middle age and I can say with certainty and strength of conviction that I'm probably not going to change...no matter how many more times you feel the need to point out what you consider to be my flaws. Again..I am who I am.

I'm not sure if this changes your opinion but, that was never my goal.

Thanks,
Kevin
Every one is entitled to their opinion but I LOVE you on the show Kevin! There really isn't anyone on the show that I don't like. You all have different personalities and bring something different to the table, and together, it works well. You have great chemistry together, and you make talking about my favorite place on earth even more entertaining than it already is. :thumbsup2

...That being said, I would like to offer a suggestion. My faaaaaavorite things in life are eating and drinking lol. I love going out somewhere and sampling different apps or dishes, beers, cocktails,...THAT is my idea of a good time, I could literally do that every day of the week. I posted on a different thread about how much I love the Drink Around the World segments, and I would really enjoy more segments that are similar, like dining reviews. Not necessarily where you're bar hopping, but where you're just going to one place at a time and sampling different foods and drinks, like The Disney Food Blog does, except you would have the benefit of discussing it in the round table format and working in photos and video.

Thanks for the chance to give feedback,
Dana :listen:

Was this spat seriously about someone who doesn't think Kevin is positive enough on the show? Like for reals?
What fun would that be if everyone loved everything the same?
He's bringing crotchety realness to the show.

I understand what you're saying about not adding even more work to your schedule and I don't think any of you should have to read or participate on the boards, unless it's one of your assigned responsibilities (e.g., if you're a moderator). For the Top Ten Threads segment, though, reading a portion of each of those ten threads, even if it's just the opening post, should be part of the assignment, though if it's a longer thread, reading the most recent comments would be helpful, too (e.g., the 2014 snack thread that carried into 2015). I look at that segment as a laudatory comment about the engagement of the statement or question posed in the thread and a kudos to the original poster for creating a thread that is so popular. I may be recalling this incorrectly, but when Pete reads the Top Ten Threads, he always seems to know what the thread is about, has some familiarity with the comments on the thread, and discusses them respectfully. The Top Ten Threads segment read by JL seemed dismissive and disinterested and it was clear she had done little, if any, research. A perfect example is the cancelled ADR thread. The opening post explains exactly what the thread is about, but she hadn't even read that much, because someone else (I'm sorry, but I don't remember now who it was) had to explain the purpose of the thread to her.

If I've misinterpreted any of the other posters comments, I apologize. These are my feelings about that segment (and about whether or not podcasters should be required to participate on the boards and when) and I don't mean to speak for anyone else.

That's fair and I don't feel it's necessary to have all 7,8,or 9 people (whatever the number would be that particular week) on the show to be "experts" on those threads. However, I think it's reasonable to expect that at least a few (one of which should always include the host) should be able to discuss the thread and its topic intelligently. Perhaps it's just a problem with how I view the podcast...where I view it as sort of an extension of the boards, while the team sees the podcast and boards as two completely separate entities under the "DIS" umbrella that don't really overlap with each other.

All I can say is that not everyone has the script before the shows so that has an impact too. Everyone scripted in would make the show drastically more boring and surprises are nice. As for the threads segments, it is hit or miss in terms of how much detail we go into. There are times where Pete has only read the title and the OP without giving any details. I knew about the threads because I put together the list. I'm not sure if JL did, but if she didn't then that's fine. It was never a requirement for us. And I hope this doesn't come off sounding harsh because that's not intended. I just don't want anyone to ever have too high of expectations for anything.

I understand all the points that have been made re: the top 10 threads. In my opinion, Pete did a good job of explaining the important threads, and glossing over threads he either didn't know or weren't very impactful (who am I to know). I think bringing someone in to do the top 10 threads, or having someone who enjoys looking into the boards (as opposed to having it be more of a job) to do it would be a good addition.

Either way, LOVE the podcast and will watch/listen! Thanks guys/gals!

First off, We love the podcasts and YouTube shows! We tend to listen to them while driving to work, definitely cheers up the day!!

I agree with a lot of other people, I think sometimes there needs to be a focus on people who don't get to go every week out the year. For example, this is my first trip in 7 years (and my gfs first ever!) and I'd love to see some more focus on things to do right now. How best to tackle the parks as they stand. Reviews of current restaurants and experiences. Instead of always looking ahead to see what could happen.

Hope that all made sense!

All I can say is that not everyone has the script before the shows so that has an impact too. Everyone scripted in would make the show drastically more boring and surprises are nice. As for the threads segments, it is hit or miss in terms of how much detail we go into. There are times where Pete has only read the title and the OP without giving any details. I knew about the threads because I put together the list. I'm not sure if JL did, but if she didn't then that's fine. It was never a requirement for us. And I hope this doesn't come off sounding harsh because that's not intended. I just don't want anyone to ever have too high of expectations for anything.

I agree that the show shouldn't be scripted. There's a difference between scripted and prepared, though. A couple of people have suggested that someone familiar with the boards, like Jackie, who's appeared before, could do that segment. I think that's a good idea, too. I hope Pete and Dustin will consider it for episodes when Pete is absent.

Edited to add "for episodes when Pete is absent," because I like Pete's delivery of the Top Ten Thread segment.

Last edited:

Is this real life? Or are you being snarky? Didn't the original poster basically ask Kevin to change who he is to suit what he wanted to hear on the podcast? No one is forcing the poster to listen, there is a little button on Itunes that you can chose to unsubscribe from the podcast if you don't like what you hear. Why should he fake who he is to make a random listener happy?
NEVER CHANGE KEVIN!

I do feel the need to post a criticism after listening to this week's show. During the segment discussing the top 10 threads on the boards, I found it disappointing how unfamiliar the team was with by and large with the topics of those threads and therefore quite clearly, the boards as a whole. The most glaring example to me was the lack of familiarity with the ADR cancellation threads. Those threads (one for each month) are a DIS Boards staple and have been around forever. Now, I do realize that the team members probably have little to no use for those threads. However, in preparation for the show, they should make themselves familiar with something like that before the show if they don't already know what it is. It just comes off bad when most of the team is not privy to what is happening on the boards outside of the "DIS Unplugged" board.

I fully agree with this! I felt the same way during that show. I have a feeling that if I would have posted this same post I would have been labeled as a "Debbie Downer" by certain people on these boards, I implied this earlier on this same thread and got DESTROYED by other DISers and even a member of the Podcast team :sad2:, apparently we are only allowed to post positive things or we are immediately labeled bad apples.. Thank you for posting this mcd, this is great feedback for the DIS Podcast team..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter