DIS POP: Rocky Horror Horror Picture Show: Let's Do the Time Warp Again Review - 10/21

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
Ryno gives his thoughts and feelings on "The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do the Time Warp Again" musical television event/special/remake that aired on Fox on 10/20/16. Did you watch? What did you think? Did you hate it or did it have you jumping out of your seats for the Time Warp?

What did I think? It was awful. That pretty much sums it up. And having Laverne Cox (who I think is wonderful and I love in OITNB) play Frank N. Furter was very odd. There is a huge difference between transvestite and transgender. They are two entirely different things. Having her sing "Sweet Transvestite" made absolutely no sense.

I hate when they mess with classics like this.

I have enjoyed the other musical performances but this one was too clean for Rocky. Ryno had it right it was like someone who didn't know Rocky decided to learn about it, clean it up, and then perform it.

I absolutely hated the panning out to the audience. That stuff is fun because everyone at a midnight performance is aware it is happening and takes part. Watching actors and actresses do it on screen takes all the fun out of it.

I stumbled across it channel surfing and couldn't believe what I saw. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion but I couldn't turn my eyes away. Thank god a commercial came on after five minutes.

I really enjoyed Ryno's take on this and appreciate him filming it so quickly after the show ended (hopefully he didn't wake Eli up)

Overall I was not a fan - I made me think of a community theater being given a ton of money to put on the show, but spending the money in all the wrong places

Ryno was also spot on when he said the "Touch Me" scene was about the least sexy/erotic version of it

Also the lip syncing was just terrible for most of the songs

On the bright side it did bring back good memories and made me want to go watch the original again - hopefully maybe people who are new to it were motivated to go check out the original

On the bright side it did bring back good memories and made me want to go watch the original again - hopefully maybe people who are new to it were motivated to go check out the original
I guess that could be the silver lining if it exposes more people to the actual movie. Just sitting and watching the original, though, isn't nearly as enjoyable as getting the in-theater experience with the audience partici---pation.

I guess that could be the silver lining if it exposes more people to the actual movie. Just sitting and watching the original, though, isn't nearly as enjoyable as getting the in-theater experience with the audience partici---pation.

Yeah, just thinking when I posted on Facebook a few people replied saying they enjoyed it well enough as it got them listening to the music again and stuff like that and I just kept thinking "well, why not just watch the original then instead?"

I be there is a pick-up to the midnight screenings at least in the near term just from the attention this has gotten and people that haven't experienced it wanting to check it out

How many guys have to get dressed in white boxers and tees before the cops get called?

This remake was ok. It was very colorful with costumes and props. I do prefer the original, maybe because I was much younger when it came out. I never saw it in a theater, too anxious to be part of all the shenanigans that I heard take place when I was a teen and my early twenties and now I fear I am too old for the shenanigans. I definitely did not like how they kept showing the audience experience.

I have to agree with Ryno that this was a sub par production. I'm a huge fan of the original. I even played Magenta once.
The lip syncing was pretty bad. I like Laverne Cox but she was wrong for the part. Having played Magenta before I was disappointed in her. Columbia was "eh" but just barely. Okay so I was pretty much underwhelmed by the whole thing.
Thanks for doing the review.

It's not out in the UK yet, but I saw a trailer for it, so I'm assume it's hitting us on Halloween.

So after watching Ryno's review and sending a couple of tweet which he so nicely responded to yay, I have decided to watch it.

But.... as I am a huge fan of the original (even got my Husband to love it) and went to see a couple of stage production in London (although never seen a midnight screening sound fun and I bet they do it in the west end). I will only watch it, if I can watch it with wine.

Although not too much wine as I don't want to get surly and start throwing stuff at the TV if it's really bad lol :badpc:

It's not out in the UK yet, but I saw a trailer for it, so I'm assume it's hitting us on Halloween.

So after watching Ryno's review and sending a couple of tweet which he so nicely responded to yay, I have decided to watch it.

But.... as I am a huge fan of the original (even got my Husband to love it) and went to see a couple of stage production in London (although never seen a midnight screening sound fun and I bet they do it in the west end). I will only watch it, if I can watch it with wine.

Although not too much wine as I don't want to get surly and start throwing stuff at the TV if it's really bad lol :badpc:

It's on Sky Movies I think - I however managed to see it already.

Honestly, bad casting, for the most part bad acting, and they 'cleaned it up' which just seams insane. I'm just glad I have my (multiple) copies of the original.

EDIT:

Also I love Leverne Cox but casting her as Frank 'N Furter I feel is insulting to both her an the transgender community, it re-enforces the stereotype that transgendered people are just transvestites that have 'had an op'. I honestly don't know why she took the role. She can't be hard up after OITNB.

Last edited:

Go with two bottles of wine and surround yourself with soft foam things so you can't break the TV.

It's now available in the U.K.

But where as the original got 4 & 1/2 stars (should be 5) they've given the remake just 1 & 1/2.

I can see this being painful, I will watch it tomorrow after I've been to the off-licence.

IMG_9804.JPG

It's now available in the U.K.

But where as the original got 4 & 1/2 stars (should be 5) they've given the remake just 1 & 1/2.

I can see this being painful, I will watch it tomorrow after I've been to the off-licence.

View attachment 203745

We are also in the UK. I recorded it last night. Have you watched it yet? I am a big fan of the original so if this is a car crash I will cringe!

So I have seen it and oh my it ain't good

About half way through I was like
IMG_9806.JPG

By the end, all I could think about was that South Park episode when they go and see 4th Indiana Jones movie..

That whole episode perfectly sums up the way I'm feeling right now, lol

So I have seen it and oh my it ain't good
By the end, all I could think about was that South Park episode when they go and see 4th Indiana Jones movie..

That whole episode perfectly sums up the way I'm feeling right now, lol
I warned you, Ryno warned you, the whole world warned you. Some people just have to touch the stove to learn that it's hot.

I warned you, Ryno warned you, the whole world warned you. Some people just have to touch the stove to learn that it's hot.

When it comes to movies or tv I still watch. I even try not to read reviews until I'be seen it myself. Over the years I've enjoyed many movies/tv shows/theater that the critics and most goers ripped to shreds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter