DIS oldtimers (well newtimers too) where are you?

Since this is the Old Timers thread I have a question, that I hope, someone on here can answer: How far back do the archives go? I kind of have this craving to go back and read a thread that goes back to Hurricane Charlie, written by a guy named Charlie. Just curious. Thanks
Charley was 2004. Threads go back that far. I have some back to 2002. The Charlie you probably want is Charlie NJ. Good, funny writer. I forget the combination of his name and the NJ.

Last edited:
Tagging charlie.nj
Since this is the Old Timers thread I have a question, that I hope, someone on here can answer: How far back do the archives go? I kind of have this craving to go back and read a thread that goes back to Hurricane Charlie, written by a guy named Charlie. Just curious. Thanks

Fun to bring up the older threads.
I am not retired yet, and not sure when I will, that remains to be determined.
We have 2 in college now (so I have to work at least until they are through!) And, we have a six year old in Kindergarden. We are starting all the way over now! We have 4 boys. Oldest is 26 and youngest is 6. We are too old for the 6 year old!~.
A family member asked us to take him in 4 years ago and the rest is history. We can't image life without him now. He is fully adopted and my older boys love him and take good care of him.

Last edited:
Just dropping in to say "hello" again! It's good to "see" so many still here. Makes me think about others as well. Anyone know how Tricia (Dopeygirl?) is doing?
We did a big WDW trip in March '23 to take my son , DIL and my 2 grandsons. Had a fantastic time. I think I might try to do that again in '25 but this time it will include my grandaughter as well!:moped:

Last edited:
Just dropping in to say "hello" again! It's good to "see" so many still here. Makes me think about others as well. Anyone know how Tricia (Dopeygirl?) is doing?
We did a big WDW trip in March '23 to take my son , DIL and my 2 grandsons. Had a fantastic time. I think I might try to do that again in '25 but this time it will include my grandaughter as well!:moped:
Corinne, great to see you again! Hope all has been well.

Have not seen nor heard from Trish in ages. Giving her a tag here. @Dopeygirl. Fun days so many years ago. Great Chicago dis meets, at least 2 or 3 a year.

Great taking family to WDW, wonderful memories. And a granddaughter on the way?

Nice to see you again.

Corinne, great to see you again! Hope all has been well.

Have not seen nor heard from Trish in ages. Giving her a tag here. @Dopeygirl. Fun days so many years ago. Great Chicago dis meets, at least 2 or 3 a year.

Great taking family to WDW, wonderful memories. And a granddaughter on the way?

Nice to see you again.
Grandaughter here! Born the end of April. Trying to figure out where the best dedicated
2 BR DVC is. We did BLT last time and it was perfect, but with them working on it for a year, I need to look elsewhere.
Anyone have any recommendations?

Over the past 18 plus years here on this long-running thread, I have posted a number of times regarding the passing of our DIS friends. Sadly, doing so again today. :(

Our friend Eileen Monaghan, known here as Leota, passed away on June 10th, from the beast. Eileen was a true old-timer here, going back almost to the beginning times of these boards. Eileen was a wonderful person. Many fun times ‘back in the day’. Our DIS friend, Snoopy (Judi) from many years back let me know of Eileen’s passing. Needless to say, stunned and saddened. :(

Among survivors is her son, Max. Max has followed in his mom’s footsteps, just as nice as her. Max had posted this eulogy of sorts on Facebook. Eileen’s and Judi’s lady group said it was okay to share here. It’s so worth the few minutes to read Max’s powerful thoughts. Maybe have a tissue handy, some amazing thoughts and words here from Max.....

I'm posting here the most wonderful tribute to this wonderful woman from her son, Max

Hello all. It's been a while. Quick announcement...

My Mother, Eileen Sky Monaghan (also Eileen Ingram Monaghan ), passed away early this morning from cancer.

I'm heart broken. She was an amazing person, strongest woman, a fierce mother, and many other titles to be proud of.

She saved my life over and over as we navigated the AIDS crisis together. Along the way the work she did with state and federal organizations helped care providers and physicians understand how to effectively care for all the children that were now being affected by AIDS.

She saved a lot of kids.

She was an accomplished chef. She cooked at Chappelle's as well as at the Strathallan under Rick Tramonto along with Lydia Bastianich. Cooking was her passion. After her diagnosis and becoming my mother she left the kitchen. However her love of food and preparing meals for loved ones never faded. We would often cook together. Coming up with recipes on the fly, making messes, and most of the time a delicious concoction.

She fed the hungry.

She was always ready to try new things and was open to new experiences. Some of her favorites were Disney films and Walt Disney World Resort. We watched every film and we're lucky enough to be able to go to the Orlando based theme parks many times. She didn't just like the rides, which she did. She didn't only enjoy the food, which she loved. She loved every part of the place. She knew trivia no one else knew. She belonged to online communities that discussed Disney in and out, and made lifelong friends along the way. Our favorite aspect of the World was imagineering. The idea that nothing was impossible furthered the joy of what was to come next at the parks.

She believed in the power of magic.

Above all she cherished and appreciated music. Most of us do to some degree, sometimes not at all, but she really lived her music. So many different genres and messages... Instruments and voices. What all of the songs and artists had in common was hopeful, happy lyrics and rhythms that preached to the better side of all our fellow humans on this earth and how to achieve a greater level of peace and understanding when forces seek to divide and conquer our families and communities. What's more she would then practice that. The greatest gift I've ever received is love of music from her. She was a dancer and would be found at perhaps a Grateful Dead show, out in the hall running or spinning as she danced with the music without care. This was also a gift she left me and I will dance till I drop every show I can.

She became the music.

Other aspects of her life included a deep spirituality and a hand for creating art. She grew up going to the youth groups at Downtown United Presbyterian Church. She not only made friends there but witnessed a church and congregation that put emphasis on social justice and community outreach. When she married my father she converted to catholicism. After that she started to seek and incorporate teaching from all walks of faith. She believed that if any faith had something good to offer and a net positive for this world that the lesson was worth learning. Through meditation and practice of those various tenants she gained a personal spirituality that guided not only her but others and myself as well. Her art was also an expression of her world view. She would create designs on clothing with stencils and bleach, most images being of music notes, hearts, and nature. She also used spray paint on various items and mediums, one of the favorites being vinyl albums. In the past 3 or years she had begun to make 'string things'. These were a braided loop of grapevine covered with colorful fabrics and ribbons which hung down and swayed when you waved the ring around. She wanted to give them out to people at the Billy Strings shows we had started going to. The house is a gallery of her creations.

She added hope and beauty to this world.

There's so many other things and experiences that made her who she was. I'll remember them at different times for different reasons. No matter what, however, I will always recall her love and her guidence and the positive caring soul that she was and will be for eternity.

Thank you, Mom.

You'll always be with me and someday we'll all be together in the vast energy of the universe again, laughing and swirling around interconnected without worry or fear, basking in the warmth of family, friends, and those we have yet to meet.

I love you, Mom.

Thank you for reading my thoughts on who Eileen Monaghan was and why. I hope she is content with the legacy she leaves. In my mind she should be and ten fold.

We are going to have a memorial ceremony/party/parade for her on June 30th at 3pm. It will be at the Circle Shelter in Ellison Park. Mom requested casual dress and a dish to pass. She always requested a Second Line. For those who aren't familiar with the term it is a New Orleans ceremonial march in which her urn will lead followed by the first line of brass instruments then by a second line of mourners. Mourners will march, dance, and join in with whatever instruments.

Over the years I was lucky to have spent time with Eileen on a number of trips and visits. One trip and a visit with Max also.

I have to share (hope I don’t get too verbose here as I tend to do at times) one really fun memory from one trip. It was probably like maybe early late April/early May 2003/2004 time frame. I was with Eileen and several others from the DIS over on the Boardwalk Promenade. I’m thinking it was maybe around 8:30 PM. Somebody in the group, probably Eileen, popped up and asked if we thought we could make it over to the Magic Kingdom for the nighttime parade, Main Street Electrical Parade or Spectromagic, not sure which one was running then. With most of the folks there in their 30’s, 40’s tops, and me 20 years younger than now with no real infirmities yet, the consensus was, ‘Sure, we can make it, easy’.

No Uber or Minnie Vans back then. We quickly made it to the front of the BW to get a bus to MK. We nervously waited for a few minutes and then the bus arrived. On to MK, laughing and mixing it up on the bus like a bunch of 10 year olds. Disney can do that to people, ha.! We arrived at the MK bus terminal. We got off and walked (no, jogged or ran) to the bag check area and headed to Town Square. My recollection is that both parades started in Frontierland and ended in Town Square (correct me if wrong). We were there in time, pretty much as the parade was kicking off. We were on the steps at City Hall. Once the parade had mostly passed, Eileen (Leota) asks, ‘Do you think we can make over to the Haunted Mansion (where else?) before they close it for the night’? We all said, ‘sure, let’s go’.

We started swimming upstream of the crowds, in and out of the Emporium, Casey’s and so on. We all were hysterically laughing as we ran, jogged in and out, headed to HM. And we did make it. The HM CM’s were great. And when getting our Doom Buggies, I had the fun of riding with Eileen, Leota herself. What a wonderful memory of both the joy of Disney World and a wonderful person, Eileen, to laugh and enjoy life with.

Here a couple of articles covering Max and his Max’s Mardi Gras. I remember Eileen telling me in phone calls about MMG back then, very exciting. She shared how excited and happy Max was, what an amazing thing that was happening.

https://westsidenewsny.com/pastarchives/OldSite/westside/news/2003/0407/features/maxmardigras.html

And more recently…..

https://www.facebook.com/makeawisho...-who-21-years-ago-wished-t/10157987544884383/

A thread from 20 years ago here on the DIS when Eileen and Max visited Chicago and had lunch Downtown with Marie (Lady M) and me. Again, such a fun, memorable day with two wonderful people. A few more pictures....

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-nice-lunch-with-a-couple-disers-and-a-son-pictures.601935/

Finally a couple more pictures. One of our friend Snoopy (Judi) and Eileen toasting each other at Eileen's home a few years ago. Two very amazing ladies.

1719870333225.png

And then a picture of Eileen from a trip with Judi. This pictures embodies what Eileen was all about, an amazing lady, a wonderful life, worthy of celebrating..

1719870537529.png

Rest In Peace my friend. You have more than earned it. I feel so privileged for having our life paths cross here as they did many years ago. God speed, Eileen, forever Leota, wherever in the cosmos He takes you.

Dan

Last edited:
What a beautiful and touching post Dan! Eileen will be missed by so many. Eileen and I never actually met but she did name my coffee “Candy in a Cup” so I think of her very often! 😁 My memory of Eileen is always Madam Leota and the HM, a peace loving, free spirit who seemed comfortable in her own skin. She was very accepting of me even when I was pretty closed minded and that’s my biggest takeaway from her. She had a very kind heart and spirit. We’re going to miss her. My prayers and thoughts are with her family. God bless Max and may he always feel his mother’s spirit nearby. 🙏🏻

Thank you Dan for a lovely tribute to Eileen. You are so good to do this for us. It’s hard to lose old DIS friends. We were a tight knit group. (Family).

Beautiful write up by her son, Max and by Dan.
Thank you for sharing.
Hoping her memorial parade was as joyful as her life was!

This is indeed sad. I remember Mme Leota from long ago. She was a fun person. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to her family and friends.

Thank you, Dan. I'm sure it is difficult at times to be the bearer of news like this, but know that it is much appreciated.

Another beloved DISer lost. :sad1:

Thank you for sharing the beautiful tribute, Dan. What a gift to leave family and friends with smiles through the tears. <3

Thanks for sharing such a touching tribute with us, Dan. I never knew Eileen but was blessed to catch a glimpse of her spirit through reading Max's share. Prayers and a hug to all who did know her and her family.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest