Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Hello! Flights have opened up on British Airways for our dates. I was able to get 2 Business Class/ Club seats round trip for $4,666.00. I had $612 of Avios dollars to credit toward that. They don't have any direct flights but I prefer BA for international travel.

I'm using Marriott points to stay at the Boscolo Exedra Romo with a cash upgrade to a room with a view. I've never been to Rome and without the DH I want to keep it simple. The hotel has already contacted me regarding transportation but I'm going to do some research I my own. I've had too many concierges send me in the wrong direction. The Landmark in London was a nightmare of bad information.

Can anyone recommend a private tour guide? I know I want to take a couple of food walking tours and there was a company in London that has a branch in Rome I'll probably use. Any other Rome tips would be great.

A bunch of us took this food tour last time we were in Italy and I can't say enough good things about it. It was great! http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/rome/tours/taste-of-testaccio/

Just received a call from Luna Baglioni Venice, regarding the reservation we made last weekend.

They were asking why so many people (she said fourteen rooms) suddenly were booking for March 31, 2018, "are you a group traveling together??"

It was fun explaining our madness, and they were excited to hear how we were looking forward to our return.

Just received a call from Luna Baglioni Venice, regarding the reservation we made last weekend.

They were asking why so many people (she said fourteen rooms) suddenly were booking for March 31, 2018, "are you a group traveling together??"

It was fun explaining our madness, and they were excited to hear how we were looking forward to our return.

I love this hotel and the location.

I'm happy that they're aware of us.

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

I love this hotel and the location.

I'm happy that they're aware of us.

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

This makes me happy!!

And they just sent this via e mail,

Dear Mr. Giordano,

Warm greetings from Baglioni Hotel Luna!

It was a really pleasure to speak with you over the phone.

We would like to thank you for choosing our Property for your and your friend's forthcoming stay.

We would really appreciate if you would like to share with us any particular preference or requests of your Group.
These information will really enable us to perfectly tailor made your stay!

Looking forward to welcoming you adn your friends soon, we remain at your full disposal for any further assistance you may require.

Kind regards,

Giulia

Reservation Office

BAGLIONI HOTEL LUNA
Member of Leading Hotels of the World

San Marco, 1243 - 30124 Venice - Italy
Tel +39 041 5289840 | Booking phone +39 041 9655930
Fax +39 041 8106708
www.baglionihotels.com

Last edited:
Like I was saying..... Looks like we are on the way to moving the group from the ship to the Luna..... They won't know what hit them:rotfl2:

From one of my favorite websites:

http://www.italiantalks.com

Real Venetians never walk fast, and here is why.

Venice is built on a foundation of tree trunks, taken from the nearby forests of the Veneto. The tree trunks were pounded into the silt of the lagoon. Atop such pilings the palaces were constructed. It took thousands of years for the forests to grow. Over the space of five centuries the Venetians built their city and their navies from the lumber they harvested.

The Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta on the island of Torcello is the oldest church in Venice, dating to 639. Ferries to Torcello run less frequently than the usual vaporetti, leaving from the Fondamente Nuove stop. Unless you charter your own boat, a trip to Torcello, a walk around and the return to proper Venice will last a half day.

The palaces of Venice went through stylistic fads from the 13th to the 18th centuries, and many were restored in the 19th century. The Luna Hotel Baglioni palazzo, which is located just off Piazza San Marco, dates to 1118, and throughout the years has undergone transformations from a convent into an aristocratic palace and even a shelter for the Knights Templar.

A cruise down the Grand Canal will take you past Byzantine, Gothic, Baroque and Palladian examples. Popular outcry followed the destruction of many architectural treasures in the 19th century and led to the preservation mentality which no longer allows radical alterations to Venice’s historic landscape.

Which is why Venetians walk slowly. It has taken them a long time to get to this point, and hurrying will not be tolerated.

I think this is mighty cool.

We booked the Luna as well for post nights yesterday, and I think mom booked too. Today's task is Pre-nights! And we are definitely in for Orvieto!

If you would do the food tour on Friday 3/23, Chuck and I would probably do it. We didn't know how we would feel in 2014 having just arrived that day and then regretted not doing it after we heard all of your reviews.

Chris

As we get closer to our date, we can look into hiring a van/bus to take us all to Orvieto.

As it's almost a year away....I am not starting a list or a sign up sheet right now (again...I know y'all:duck:).

We will revisit the Orvieto Bus situation in say...January?

First person to email me before January gets tortured on the bus....or has to deal with Tracey.8-)

We booked two pre nights in Rome as well. We'd be up for a food tour. Was that the one in Trastevere?

I'm considering doing an evening private Vatican/Sistine Chapel tour. It looks like a similar version ABD arranges. Downsides are price and they only do them certain days, but apparently they take requests.

If you would do the food tour on Friday 3/23, Chuck and I would probably do it. We didn't know how we would feel in 2014 having just arrived that day and then regretted not doing it after we heard all of your reviews.

Chris

We would be in on this too!!

We booked two pre nights in Rome as well. We'd be up for a food tour. Was that the one in Trastevere?

I'm considering doing an evening private Vatican/Sistine Chapel tour. It looks like a similar version ABD arranges. Downsides are price and they only do them certain days, but apparently they take requests.

I'm pretty sure that it was the Trastevere food tour and those who went on it raved about it....see Kristy Hertz's trip report.

Seeing the Vatican and Sistine chapel at night was not the 2014 experience so although we had ABD taking us we were there with the masses during the day...we had as I recall 30 minutes in the chapel with 1000 of our friends. As I remember John said that since this was an additional ABD trip out of their schedule, they couldn't do the night trip. John looked into the cost for the group but it would have been prohibitive.

I am going to relook at Chuck's vacation time.....we may "have" to try to come in 2 days early rather than 1 to have time to do several things.

For the evening cocktail group, the Bernini Bristol has a great rooftop bar....just saying....new members are always welcome

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter