Direct Purchase benefits announced!

But, wouldn't a repo for default on dues/taxes also negatively impact the credit report of the defaulting member? Really, it would be in the best interest of the member to sell the membership, or even give it away, rather than allow Disney to repo.

Walking away from their commitments may happen when a member is elderly, has no concern about their credit rating and perhaps ready to enter a nursing home. Any study of the average age of members at the older resorts?

Also, members from other countries can easily walk away. I see this as the majority of ones that will do so.

Laura

But, wouldn't a repo for default on dues/taxes also negatively impact the credit repost of the defaulting member? Really, it woud be in the best interest of the member to sell the membership, or even give it away, rather than allow Disney to repo.

When there are three years left on DVC and you are 75 years old - how many of us will care? Perhaps more searching - how many of our kids will care to pay the dues on a timeshare they inherited with only a few years left? (I think I'll just will mine back to Disney, I wonder if I can do that?). I'd expect a lot of defaults during the last few years of life on the contract - on the other hand, we shouldn't need to put money into capital reserves for improvements that are scheduled to happen after our ownership ends, dues may remain stable even with defaults.

If enough members feel that DVC no longer cares about them as a member, I can definitely see this happening.

This is the very reason I feel that DVC has to be very careful in how far they push the membership.
The risk is fairly minor at this time because unused inventory goes to breakage (up to 2.5% of budget) and if DVC takes those over, they can be rented outside of breakage. One thing I don't think I've seen previously discussed on this or other similar forums is the difference in DVD owned inventory (developer, foreclosed due to loan defaults & ROFR) vs DVCMD owned when taken back for non payment of dues. This is an important distinction IMO. My guess is they have either a sales agreement or repurchase agreement with DVD to move that inventory but I don't know that for certain. One thing I do know is that it would technically be separate inventory owned (at least initially) by DVCMC and NOT DVD. The problem is the time between when the membership becomes non performing and it's actually legally under DVC's control. That's the period of time when we are truly at risk for the extra dues. But even then this issue generates availability without competition for reservations so it's not that bad unless the defaults are wholesale. If that happens, the entire resort system would likely go under anyway so the risk would be finite.

As for the end of the contracts, there are only about enough units at each resort to handle maybe 60-70% of the points during the last 2 years the resorts are to be in the DVC anyway so that alone should take care of much of the issue. Also the maint the last couple of years should really be pretty controlled and somewhat lower since they can slack of long term maint issues in many cases. As to how they will decide who pays what and who gets to use their points vs not is a different matter. I have my thoughts but that's for another thread which we generally see about every couple of years.

But, wouldn't a repo for default on dues/taxes also negatively impact the credit repost of the defaulting member?
At a certain point, who cares? It's not like you'll be refinancing your mortage in your late 70s. As the saying goes, you might not even be buying green bananas.

At a certain point, who cares? It's not like you'll be refinancing your mortage in your late 70s. As the saying goes, you might not even be buying green bananas.
Plus it only impacts your credit if you have good credit and if it gets reported to the credit agencies, many timeshares tend not to.

You can't just walk away from DVC unless Disney decides to let you or you are allowed to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy. We signed a contract and Disney can sue to force compliance. Plus they may even be able to force you to pay their attorney's fees and other court costs.

I really do not think there will be that many who decide to just walk away. It's a a lot harder to do than one might think!

One thing I don't think I've seen previously discussed on this or other similar forums is the difference in DVD owned inventory (developer, foreclosed due to loan defaults & ROFR) vs DVCMD owned when taken back for non payment of dues. This is an important distinction IMO. My guess is they have either a sales agreement or repurchase agreement with DVD to move that inventory but I don't know that for certain. One thing I do know is that it would technically be separate inventory owned (at least initially) by DVCMC and NOT DVD.

I don't think DVCMC ever owns a real estate interest in any of the DVC resorts. If a member fails to pay their dues, DVCMC may bar/suspend the member from making reservations and may cancel existing reservations. But I don't think DVCMC actually takes ownership of the member's real estate interest. Even when a lien is filed against a member by DVCMC, the member still has ownership until DVD takes ownership via a Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure or by buying the real estate interest via Certificate of Title filed in the appropriate court.

I don't think DVCMC ever owns a real estate interest in any of the DVC resorts. If a member fails to pay their dues, DVCMC may bar/suspend the member from making reservations and may cancel existing reservations. But I don't think DVCMC actually takes ownership of the member's real estate interest. Even when a lien is filed against a member by DVCMC, the member still has ownership until DVD takes ownership via a Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure or by buying the real estate interest via Certificate of Title filed in the appropriate court.
You may be right, DVCMC's only recourse may be to mark them chronically in violation and suspend usage of the points. DVD wouldn't have any rights in that situation though unless there were also a loan. As a min you've got to figure that someone somewhere has said just take it back because we can't pay it. When I get the opportunity, I'll have to ask that question of the appropriate people.

If enough members feel that DVC no longer cares about them as a member, I can definitely see this happening. This is the very reason I feel that DVC has to be very careful in how far they push the membership.
It, combined with Disney's incredible track record of mostly always making decisions that very effectively separate customers from their money, is also the "very reason" why the most likely scenario is that Disney is going to see the boundary, beyond which they should not "push the membership" long before they reach it, and stop just before they cross it. From our vantage point, the very best signposts we can read with regard to knowing where the boundary actually is, is indeed Disney's own actions. There is practically no information generally available to us that is a better indicator, even though it isn't always correct.

I have to go with Brian and Jodi. Why would a rational person pay MORE to get an option to buy something that costs more with the option than the something costs without the option? (IMO, resale buyers as a group, are generally more informed & less emotional than direct buyers).

Rational buyers will see that a resale contract has the same value on 3/21 as it did on 3/20 (except that the RTU is one day closer to expiring.

Interesting.

I could see this scenario / here's what I'm thinking.

With a two tier system the pressure on DVC to execute ROFRs (in my opinion) will diminish. Their reasoning for maintaining an artificial price point will be unnecessary - why? - because you can no longer argue/compare apples to apples. "Resale is now a different tier 2 service - we don't offer that - what happens in a few years when you're sick of going to the parks and you want to take trip to Spain? etc. etc." The DVC spin doctors will be able to eloquently present this argument I'm sure ...

I believe that DVC will slowly get out of the ROFR business more and more (like they are showing today) - this (again IMO) will eventually pick away at the artificial base/value of the resale market, ultimately driving prices lower.

All it takes is a few contracts/precedents to break the base price points ... once the ROFR safety-net is removed (should something like this happen at all) then things get really interesting IMO.

Cheers,
Zebsterama
:hippie:pirate:

If I wanted another timeshare such as the ones mentioned I would have bought those not DVC but I didn't. Not only did I buy once direct, I bought twice because I believed in the type of program DVC was executing and managing. Yes I understood the docments, the risks, the this, the that, but DVC was not that type of timeshare the past 18-20 years, were they???

Enjoy your day everyone.....

I have to agree, I think herein lies the truth of the matter. :thumbsup2

"We're just another timeshare" wasn't part of DVC's marketing pitch was it.

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Zebsterama
:hippie:pirate::

Interesting.

I could see this scenario / here's what I'm thinking.

With a two tier system the pressure on DVC to execute ROFRs (in my opinion) will diminish. Their reasoning for maintaining an artificial price point will be unnecessary - why? - because you can no longer argue/compare apples to apples. "Resale is now a different tier 2 service - we don't offer that - what happens in a few years when you're sick of going to the parks and you want to take trip to Spain? etc. etc." The DVC spin doctors will be able to eloquently present this argument I'm sure ...

I believe that DVC will slowly get out of the ROFR business more and more (like they are showing today) - this (again IMO) will eventually pick away at the artificial base/value of the resale market, ultimately driving prices lower.

All it takes is a few contracts/precedents to break the base price points ... once the ROFR safety-net is removed (should something like this happen at all) then things get really interesting IMO.

Cheers,
Zebsterama
Of course this is the plan. ROFR only works if things are good all over and sales are robust. They haven't used ROFR enough in a while to make much dent in the prices listed. The goal is simply to find a way to drive buyers to retail. ROFR doesn't do that unless the prices are close and DVC can't afford to overpay to keep them close. My prediction is this change will not be nearly enough and thus we've not seen the last of such changes.

"We're just another timeshare" wasn't part of DVC's marketing pitch was it.
Nor is it with any other timeshare either. However, it should have been part of each and every buyers view when they bought. I've even seen a couple of people on DIS over the years say they didn't buy a timeshare, they bought DVC which simply emphasizes their lack of understanding of the product they paid their money for.

once the ROFR safety-net is removed (should something like this happen at all) then things get really interesting IMO.

Cheers,
Zebsterama

In our experience at The Timeshare Store, Inc.® ROFR hasn't really existed since January of 2010. The only property that Disney buys back sometimes is the Beach Club Villas and that is if the price is below $83 per point typically (sometimes even lower prices than $83 per point at the Beach Club make it through as ROFR is not an exact science).

Jason

Nor is it with any other timeshare either.
Good point. Disney's projection is that they're better than the other timeshares, and they are. The problem was thinking that that meant that Disney was required to not only be better, but to be biased toward the customer's benefit in every way, for every aspect of the timeshare-owning experience. That's simply not a reasonable expectation. That's not what "better" means.

Good point. Disney's projection is that they're better than the other timeshares, and they are. The problem was thinking that that meant that Disney was required to not only be better, but to be biased toward the customer's benefit in every way, for every aspect of the timeshare-owning experience. That's simply not a reasonable expectation. That's not what "better" means.
It seems that people are not only expecting DVC to be HONEST about their timeshare but to point out the negatives and limitations for that person's situation beyond that. In addition they're also expecting an accurate prediction of possible changes that might affect that person's situation in a negative way. It also seems they expect not negatives changes even if legally allowed. All totally unrealistic and unreasonable expectations.

In thumbing through the POS for something else a few days ago I was impressed the several mentions in bold letter that would should not expect a return on either rental or resale including that fact that one would be at a significant disadvantage when competing with the developer in either endeavor and that there might not be a market to sell. I realize at the time of the original writing there really wasn't a formal resale market for timeshares but it struck me as applicable non the less.

I agree with the poster that said that using points for the soon to be excluded vacations is not a great use of point value, I learned a long time ago that it was better to rent points then use the cash, I typically got better vacation accommodations that way anyway plus spending money to boot. Now I just hope that DVC doesn't try to stop us from renting out points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter