Dinning with young teens!

tbunny

Earning My Ears
We are headed to Disney in May with our boys who are 12 and 14.
It is their first time to Disney.
What Restaurants would you recommend?
First night will not be at a park.
Also what shows are good for their ages. Don't want something too young and have them bored?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We are staying at the Carribean Beach Resort and have rented a car.
Thanks!
:Pinkbounc

At that age my kids liked Sci Fi Dine in Theatre and Mom's Diner - both at MGM.

We have 3 ds teen and go to disney every year. Let me tell you they hate places like Whispering Canyon and Prime Time. Their favorite is ESPN, this is on the boardwalk, for real sports fans and would qualify for your non park day. They also like Rainforest Cafe at either downtown disney or animal kingdom. My family meal plan is 1 good meal a day, not counter service so we usually do a buffet, Our ds are 13,15 and 17, they will humor me and put up with the characters if they know the food is all they can eat. I alreay made our ps for our trip next month, you can also have your ds look at the menus on the allears website and see what they like. I have crystal palace for dinner and lunch, chef mickey for dinner, hollywood and vine for dinner, rainforest for lunch at AK, espn, they dont take ps and I think 1900 Park Fare for breakfast, sorry I told them they must have breakfast and see mary poppins with me. They have been to coral reef in epcot, good atmosphere but expensive food, same comments for mexico at epcot. Good luck deciding, I think they should have a little say or they might make it an unenjoyable dining experience for all, oldest ds would be happy with counter service all week if I let him.

Well if you are not going to the parks on your first night, I'd give Rainforest café in DTD a try. My niece ( then 15 ) loved the food and atmosphere. It is not too kidlike, but not too gown up either. And the food is pretty good. Try the volcano for dessert....it's great.

My DS (now 14) loves the 50's Prime Time. He likes to "tease" the waitstaff by pretending his elbows are on the table. It's also the only place where he will eat his green beans because he knows what they will do if he doesn't....they will FEED HIM!!!!
It depends on the personalitites. Some will love the Prime Time and others will not. I would say to try it and see. The waitstaff is very good at determining who wants to "play" and who doesn't.

For your non-park first night, try Boma at AKL or Trails end at FW. Planet Hollywood or Rainforest Cafe in DTDwould be great too.

My guys were 12 and 14 on our trip last year. Some of their favorite restaurants that trip were:

Sci Fi at MGM - this is a must do every trip for us!

Rainforest Cafe at DTD - another must do every trip.

Hollywood & Vine at MGM - great buffet and the best deal for the Fantasmic dinner package.

Kona Cafe at the Polynesian - great food and fantastic desserts!

We usually just do counter service at Epcot, MK and AK. Some of their favorite counter service places are Pecos Bill's in MK, Casey's Hot Dogs in MK, Pizzafari in AK, Electric Umbrella in Epcot, and Cantina de San Angel in Epcot.

They don't mind going to character meals with us, and their favorites are Donald's Breakfastosaurus at AK and Garden Grill at Epcot.

They haven't been to ESPN Club on the Boardwalk yet, but I went there on my solo trip in December, and I know they'd love it!

Trails End at Ft Wilderness has a great breakfast and lunch buffet for about $10pp (including drink) and our teens always love the food and the laid back atmosphere.

ESPN and Planet Hollywood were also high on their lists (although I could have lived without the Planet Hollywood food myself)

They liked any of the buffets (charaters can easily be ignored by the seriously hungry!!)

I'm 14 (we've got annual passes to disney-- our 2nd year) and I love just about everywhere.. got PS for Cinderellas castle this summer and I can't wait.. I would recommend Planet Hollywood if in DTD.. in the Parks.. Magic-- Tony's Italian Restaurant.. Epcot- The Coral Reef.. MGM- The Brown Derby.. AK-- Flame Tree BBQ.. all except my choice for AK are a bit expensive.. but wait.. I am a teen girl obsessed w\ disney o so my opinion most likely wouldn't count for this one!

BATBkindagirl said:
I'm 14 (we've got annual passes to disney-- our 2nd year) and I love just about everywhere.. got PS for Cinderellas castle this summer and I can't wait.. I would recommend Planet Hollywood if in DTD.. in the Parks.. Magic-- Tony's Italian Restaurant.. Epcot- The Coral Reef.. MGM- The Brown Derby.. AK-- Flame Tree BBQ.. all except my choice for AK are a bit expensive.. but wait.. I am a teen girl obsessed w\ disney o so my opinion most likely wouldn't count for this one!

But overall I have guy friends who go to Disney and I'm sure just about any place would be fine

My sons are 12 and 15 and their favorite places to eat are Ohana for breakfast, Cape May Cafe for dinner, Whispering Canyon Cafe, 50s Prime Time (watch out though - my 15 year old misbehaved and had to sing and do the movements for "I'm a little teapot" in front of the whole room!), ESPN Club, Chef Mickey's and Cinderellas Royal Table!

luvmarypoppins said:
Our ds are 13,15 and 17, they will humor me and put up with the characters if they know the food is all they can eat.

How right on is that !!! My DS's 16 (6'1" & 230lbs) & 12 (5'6" & 150 lbs) have already scouted out their places.....all buffets! They say it reminds them of the football training table. We gave them Birnbaum's book and told them to plan our meals. They actually picked two character meals as well (Ohana & Chef Mickeys). We're using MYW with Dining, and giving them this responsibility really got them hooked

Another thing you might consider is the Hoop De Doo Musical Review at Pioneer Hall in Fort Wilderness. When my son was 15 and thought he was "way too cool" for anything remotely corny this show had him laughing (even though he was trying not to) in a matter of minutes. It ended up being one of his favorite evenings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter