• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dinner at Ohana - is it really that good?

another not-impressed person here. Bland sides, dried out meats, dried out bread...and all of it served cold. Slow service, annoying entertainer (whiny singing & speaking vocie, as well as very patronizing to the children. Ugh.) The dessert was good, but not worth it.

Never again.

We first dined at 'Ohana about 2 years ago. Absolutely loved it and couldn't believe we'd never tried it before!

We went again 2 weeks ago - I was a little nervous that our expectations were set too high - especially after a disappointing run of dining that week. But our last night at Disney we ate at 'Ohana and it was again, delicious!

I'm a fairly picky eater - but the bread is good - the potstickers are really good (normally something I shy away from). My MIL loved the salad so much she asked for the recipe (and got it!).

But the main attraction - meat on skewers! Everything was delicious - I couldn't get enough. The waiter even joked about more steak and shrimp for my dessert!

We had a late dining - 9:10pm - Wishes were at 10, and we were just eating our dessert when Wishes started - they even pumped in the music! Love, love, love it there!!!

OHana = YUM:tongue:

I don't eat much meat, but the Bread, Salad, Dumplings, Veggies, Shrimp and Dessert are ahhhhhhmazing!:thumbsup2

Ohana is A-MAZ-ING!
It is DH's favorite place to eat and we always make sure we go at least once per trip. They do book up very quickly. Last trip we were talking to a CM and she told us that it tends to book up about as quickly as CRT. I just keep checking and usually I can get an ADR from where someone cancels.

Not sure if I missed it in a previous post but the concept is similar to a Brazilian Steakhouse. Meat delivered on a spit until you can't eat anymore.

While I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was an excellent meal, my trip would be complete if I was unable to get in. The dessert is incredible as others have said. The entertainment? Meh...... to annoying.

All in all I would definitely go back if the opportunity is open.

Ohana has several things going for it. I can understand it booking up quickly. First of all it is very close to the most popular of all the Disney theme parks, the Magic Kingdom, and is a perfect break from that park. And dinner time is about the time you need a break. Secondly it's at the heavenly Polynesian resort (Those grounds are so nice // the lobby of the hotel is beautiful too), so having an ADR is the perfect excuse to get over there. And then it's just a fun family style meal with good food that most people would enjoy (not really a foodie place), but I think appealing to most people. It doesn't surprise me at all that it' s one fo the first places to fill up.

Eh, it was okay. I thought all of the meat tasted the same. The bread pudding however? :lovestruc That would be the only reason I'd go back.

We booked it for the last night of our vacation last year, based on reviews on the board, and I was totally underwhelmed. Totally wasn't the "ending on a high note" that I was hoping for.

That said, I'd recommend that you try it: after all, everyone else here seems to love it. Maybe we were just there on an off night.

I have to agree with you, all the meats did have the same taste. I liked the dumplings, noodles, chicken wings & absolutley LOVED the bread pudding :thumbsup2

We are trying Ohanas' for the first time in June. We are really looking forward to it especially after reading all the good reviews.

Yummy desset
3-09DisneySheldonsBirthdayPart1255.jpg

Ok - thanks to this picture, I just went out and bought all the ingredients to make 'Ohanas Bread Pudding!

We've been going to Disney for quite a few years and have always loved O'hana. I remember taking my 14 yo nephew (he's now 21) and it was very worth it to fill up a teenager! However, in 2008 I took my husband there for the first time. I told home it was a great restaurant and we always try to dine there when we go to Disney. We were very disappointed in both the food and the service- both had declined since my last visit. I thought it might be an off night, but it took until last year to convince DH to give it another try. We were with my DD (3) and my dad (who had been to Disney tons & loved O'hana), but experienced the same decline in quality and taste of the food and the service. Everything had the same taste to it and much of the meat was dried out. It seemed like most servers would rather be anywhere but there. It was a huge disappointment for us.:confused:
I really hope it improves, because it used to be great.

Now, we always go to Boma at AKL. My DD likes to look for the animals after dinner.

We've been going to Disney for quite a few years and have always loved O'hana. I remember taking my 14 yo nephew (he's now 21) and it was very worth it to fill up a teenager! However, in 2008 I took my husband there for the first time. I told home it was a great restaurant and we always try to dine there when we go to Disney. We were very disappointed in both the food and the service- both had declined since my last visit. I thought it might be an off night, but it took until last year to convince DH to give it another try. We were with my DD (3) and my dad (who had been to Disney tons & loved O'hana), but experienced the same decline in quality and taste of the food and the service. Everything had the same taste to it and much of the meat was dried out. It seemed like most servers would rather be anywhere but there. It was a huge disappointment for us.:confused:
I really hope it improves, because it used to be great.

Now, we always go to Boma at AKL. My DD likes to look for the animals after dinner.

Interesting -- We used to always go to BOMA (love the animals and walking around -- used to be our favorite) -- The AKL is lovely and worth a visit I agree. // Last time, though, it seemed that our favorite dishes on the buffet were all missing and the buffet was more bland / americanized -- We were so disappointed after having enjoyed it so much for years, and we haven't been back. We were offsite just doing one TS meal and instead of BOMA last time we did OHANA.

Since 1999, we have visited WDW at least 20 times. Of those we have been to Ohana at least 15. It is among our faves as a family. It is a unique exp., the food has always been good, save maybe once or twice. It is a bit pricey, IMO, but still a very good meal. Go hungry!!!!

Ohana can be hit or miss at times. We were really dissapointed the first time we went in 08 but decided to give it another chance on our last trip in 2011. We are so happy that we did, the food was great. We really enjoy the location and they way everything is served family style.

'Ohana is on our must-do list, although it's towards the bottom of it. The food is good and interesting, but the live Hawaiian music, The lei (flowers around your neck) and the general atmosphere is what makes it great! :cloud9::wizard:

When I look online it just comes up to call to provide prepayment. Is there any way to see what is available without calling?

Ohana is easily my favorite restaurant in WDW. I love the food and both times I've been there, I've received excellent service.

I highly recommend booking a reservation here during Wishes. They pipe the music in and you can see the fireworks as the restaurant faces MK. It really is a magical experience!

When we went in February we didn't have any dried out meats. Everything was delicious and delivered piping hot! I loved being able to see the fireworks while we ate. That was pretty cool. The only down side was my son was sick, but the gift shop sold Triaminic so yet another win! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter