Dining Reviews Sep 2008 & Feb 2009 Update 8/13 - Complete!

After breakfast I spent the whole morning at AK, and got a lot done. I rode Kilamanjaro Safari, saw Festival of the Lion King, and spent some time at Rafiki's Planet Watch.

I had a 12:00 lunch ADR at Yak and Yeti, but due to a 1:00 showing of Flights of Wonder I hoped to see, I decided to head to the restaurant earlier then that to see if I could be seated sooner.

The restaurant was not busy at all, though it was still pretty early for lunch, but both times I ate here it wasn't really all that crowded. Needless to say, I was seated immediatly.

I was seated upstairs right between the wall and the staircase. It was actually a pretty nice seat, since there were only a few tables there, and there was plenty of elbow room.

My server today was Jay, and he was nice and very attentive.

For my appetizer I decided to try the lettuce cups.

241.jpg

First of all, this was a huge serving, and would of been enough for a meal by itself. The chicken filling was flavorful, I really liked it with the carrots and the bean sprouts. Rolling them up and dipping them in dressing was very difficult, and pretty messy, and I hate eating that way in public. At home I don't care, because there's no one watching, but since I was in a restaurant, I ended up making it into like a salad, so I could eat it with a knife and fork.

Based on reviews I had read here I knew I wanted to try the ribs for my entree.

243.jpg

Very good ribs! They were covered in an hoisin-bbq sauce, and were very tasty. (Though I must admit that I think I liked the steak and shrimp I'd had last time just a smidge better.) This was a very large portion as well, and even without completely gnawing all the bones to get off every last piece of meat, (which I do at home, but won't do in public, since like the lettuce cups, it's just too messy.) Even so, I was only able to eat about half of them.

For dessert I was tempted to get the cream cheese wontons again, since I'd liked them so much before, but the thought of such a heavy dessert made me think about it, and I decided to get the sorbet trio, since that seemed like it would be much more refreshing.

246.jpg

There were mango, lemon, and raspberry sorbets. The lemon was all right, but I really liked the raspberry and mango ones.

Coming up next - Boma.

fab reviews - i like the look of that Pecan Tart at Narcoossee's - i hope it is on the menu when we go :cool1:

The ribs at Yak and Yeti looks really good...I'll be getting that and my husband the shrimp and steak. How was the fried rice?

We're going to give Y&Y a try in October for lunch one day and I'd already decided that the sorbet trio was the dessert of choice - it looks wonderful! Thanks for the review! :thumbsup2

Those lettuce cups look really good. :goodvibes

Great review. :thumbsup2
Thank you for reading!

Your meal at Yak & Yeti makes me regret that I usually skip AK (and it's dining). Those ribs looks delicious!
Go to AK next trip. ;)

fab reviews - i like the look of that Pecan Tart at Narcoossee's - i hope it is on the menu when we go :cool1:
It was so yummy, if you go in the fall or winter, I bet there's a chance it'd be on the menu.

The ribs at Yak and Yeti looks really good...I'll be getting that and my husband the shrimp and steak. How was the fried rice?
It was fine, nothing to rave about, but it was edible. With all the other food I really only tasted it.

We're going to give Y&Y a try in October for lunch one day and I'd already decided that the sorbet trio was the dessert of choice - it looks wonderful! Thanks for the review! :thumbsup2
I'm glad I'm not the only one so obsessed with food that I know what I'm going to order before I get there, most of the time anyway.

After a great day at the Animal Kingdom, I headed over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner right after Mickey's Jammin Jungle parade. I got to the lodge early, and walked around for a little bit before checking in for my 5:50 ADR at Boma.

I was seated right on time, and greeted by my server, Khadiga. She was very nice, took my usual drink order of diet Coke, and welcomed me to help myself to the buffet.

I was especially looking foward to dinner this night, since it was Sunday, and I know Sunday is the random "wild card" menu night at Boma.

I started with a bowl of carrot-ginger soup;

409.jpg

which I had tried for the first time in September and it's now one of my favorite Disney soups. Very good this time as well.

My first main plate included some items I knew I liked, as well as some new things to try.

408-1.jpg

I had, prime rib, a mini corn muffin, fufu, falafel, corn and spinach pudding, pistachio-crusted salmon with some kind of tomato sauce, bobotie, and ribs. The prime rib I always enjoy, I love the seasoning they use on it, otherwise it wouldn't be so special, but it's super yummy. The muffin was nothing special, the fufu was good as usual, and the falafel, was good as well. The corn and spinach puddin had a nice taste, but I didn't like the thick and chewy consistency of it. The salmon was cooked well, and had a lovely flavor. The bobotie and ribs were good as well.

I then had a bowl of the coconut-curried soup.

414.jpg

I honestly can't remember if this was the chicken or seafood one, as I've had both before, and both are good.

I also had another plate of food, trying a few more things.

410.jpg

Another piece of prime rib, as well as some fruit salad, macaroni and cheese, and pasta salad. The fruit salad was nice, it had a nice dressing, which may have been yogurt-based, but I'm not sure; fresh fruit and good flavor though. The macaroni and cheese was decent, but nothing special, better then at other buffets though, and the pasta salad I always like.

Then it was time for dessert!

416.jpg

I had two zebra domes, which are always good, more fruit salad, so I must have really liked it, pineapple cheesecake, which was nice, milk tart, which was all right, and, (I'm going to spell this wrong,) kasalava, which I did not like.

After I was done eating my server suprised me with this;

419.jpg

I had still been wearing my birthday button, so even though I hadn't noted that I'd be celebrating my birthday that week on my reservation, she noticed, and gave me a card as well.

I wish I could've liked this, but the cakes were very dry, and I was really too full to eat it anyway.

Overall, Boma is awesome, and I can't wait to eat there again.

Thanks for the update. The best thing I liked BOMA dinner was the soup and Loved the dessert (I went back 3x for the dessert).

Sorry I have a question, I was wondering what was your favorite restaurant to eat in? P.S. Your pics are amazing!

Sorry I have a question, I was wondering what was your favorite restaurant to eat in? P.S. Your pics are amazing!
My one favorite restaurant? It's too hard to choose just one. ;) My favorite signature restaurants were California Grill and Citricos, and my favorite buffets were Boma and Crystal Palace, and my favorite character meals were Crystal Palace and Akershus.

My least favorite out of both trips was Cape May Cafe.

Since I woke up way too early this morning to call Disney Dining, and try and get a Kouzzina reservation to no avail, and now am so jacked up on diet Coke, and can't possibly fall back asleep, here's another dining review.

Originally the only ADR I had planned for my MGM / Disney Studios (whatever you want to call this park,) day was dinner at Brown Derby, but I had an extra credit I didn't know what to do with, and, skipping breakfast, (which I do at home, but am always starving by late morning in Disney,) was starving by lunch time.

I didn't want to waste a credit on counter service in the Studios, and I really didn't want to take that much time out of my day to find something at one of the area's resorts, since this was the only day I had planned on being at the Studios, so I decided to try for a walk-up at 50's Prime Time, since I remembered eating there when I was little and remembered enjoying it, but hadn't yet eaten there as an adult.

I got there right at restaurant opening, and a very nice host and hostess were able to seat me right away. My server that day was Courtnay, and she was good as far as usual waiters, but only a little into the "act." Which was fine by me, since I only wanted to eat, and didn't care about being yelled at if my elbows were on the table, though I wouldn't have minded it. Either way I was happy.

I started with a vanilla coke, which I don't think I've had anywhere else on Disney property.

For my appetizer I had the blue claw crab cake.

440.jpg

This was a good crab cake. Not as good as some of the others I had, but it was tasty with not a ton of filler. And it really hit the spot. It came served on succotash with chili sauce, that was tasty, and little crispy fried onions that are always addictive.

For my entree I choose the char-grilled chicken sandwhich.

442.jpg

It was a marinated chicken breast topped with cheddar, grilled onions, barbeque sauce, lettuce and tomato on a Kaiser roll, and came with french fries. This was a good, large and filling sandwhich. The chicken was fresh and tasty, and I especially liked the grilled onions. It was too large to finish, and I did want to save room for dessert after all, but it was good.

For dessert I knew exactly what I wanted. I had actually wanted it the first time I had eaten at Prime Time in 1999, but I wasn't allowed to have dessert, (I don't think I ever got dessert in Disney when I was a kid,) the s'mores.

445.jpg

This was so good. I know the portion was cut in half a few years back, but even at this size it is still way too rich and sweet to eat all of. I love toasted gooey marshmallows, and this was just yummy.

Overall, Prime Time is a good decent "comfort food" meal, and I'd return, but it's not a must do for me.

I just caught up on every review from your two trips and OMG i'm starving!! I'm trying deluxe for the first time this Sept and am overwhelmed with all the food and snacks :)

Since I woke up way too early this morning to call Disney Dining, and try and get a Kouzzina reservation to no avail, and now am so jacked up on diet Coke, and can't possibly fall back asleep, here's another dining review.

Ok girl, I was up at 6 am making ressies and I could not get into Tonys for the entire week and when I called at 7 to get a Kouzzina ressie the CM said they are not taking them yet....so when are you going to WDW and will we be there the same time to get a drink together at the F*W?

We will be there Oct 22-Nov 1

Ok girl, I was up at 6 am making ressies and I could not get into Tonys for the entire week and when I called at 7 to get a Kouzzina ressie the CM said they are not taking them yet....so when are you going to WDW and will we be there the same time to get a drink together at the F*W?

We will be there Oct 22-Nov 1
We'll be missing each other. :guilty:

I just caught up on every review from your two trips and OMG i'm starving!! I'm trying deluxe for the first time this Sept and am overwhelmed with all the food and snacks :)
Glad you're enjoying them. I'm actually not doing the deluxe plan this trip, due to my budget, (I wasn't even going to go to Disney again this year, so am just glad for the trip,) plus I can't find availabilty at half the restaurants I want to eat at anyway. I will miss having the snack credits for the Food and Wine Festival though.

I think I'm definatly going to be getting the deluxe plan again next year. Can't go two trips without eating at all the signature restaurants. :)

For dessert I knew exactly what I wanted. I had actually wanted it the first time I had eaten at Prime Time in 1999, but I wasn't allowed to have dessert, (I don't think I ever got dessert in Disney when I was a kid,) the s'mores.

LOL My mother wouldn't buy me dessert in Disney when I was a kid either. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter