Dining reviews 11/25-12/6-Lots of pics, a little talk - Counter Service - The End!

TigerKat

DIS Veteran
This isn't going to be fancy or funny, just what we thought. I'll tell you what we ate (including pics of most), what we thought of the food and the restaurant overall and maybe we'll assign ratings!! I'm not going to give ADR times or times we arrived as we never waited more than 10 minutes after arrival before we were seated.

Here's what we'll cover:

California Grill pg. 1
Coral Reef pg. 2
JIKO pg. 3
KONA pg. 4
Blue Zoo pg. 5
Chefs De France pg. 7
Wolfgang Puck Cafe pg. 8
Flying Fish (Twice) pg. 10 & 11
LeCellier pg. 12
Spoodles pg. 13

Let's get started. CG was our favorite restaurant in all of Disney after our trip last year and we decided to make it our first night "get in the Disney mood" place. It did not disappoint. I don't think any place can top CG as far as service and atmosphere. Topher (short for Christopher) was our wonderful server for the evening.

I started the night off with a drink recommendation from a friend here on the DIS the French Martini - this was probably the best martini of the trip and I had many.

WDW2007011.jpg

Next up are sushi appetizers, spicy sensation and rainbow roll. Both were excellent. Not a very good pic of the spicy sensation it was FULL of scallops and avocado.

WDW2007012.jpg

WDW2007013.jpg

Next is the deluxe sushi entree

WDW2007014.jpg

DH's entree was a special that night, a scallop dish. He ate scallops quite often during this trip and these by far were the best. In fact this night the scallops outshined the filet!! Sorry he doesn't remember what the scallops came with.

WDW2007015.jpg

Next entree is the famous Oak-fired filet which was as good as always. I much prefer it served with the roasted root vegetables instead of potatoes.

WDW2007016.jpg

The desserts were great as usual - honey crunch cake, valrhona chocolate and coffee(those are coffee beans on the ice cream), and the butterscotch buzz.

WDW2007017.jpg

WDW2007018.jpg

WDW2007019.jpg

CG remains one of the finest dining experiences we've ever had at Disney and it will always be on our "must-do" list!

Our rating with :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 being the best:

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

WOW that looks great!!!

Can't wait to read about more!!!
The pictures are fabulous-thanks!!!I just showed it to DH b/c he thinks I was goofy when I took photos of my food in DL(like 2x!) and I plan on more on our next trip!!!

Thanks Kathy-Lori

Yeah!!! Now I have to go back and read everything but the pics are fab!!!

Thanks my friend! :thumbsup2

ETA: How the heck did I miss that French Martini when I was there??? I guess we'll just have to plan a drinking trip!!!

Great review, I am looking foward to my second visit at CA Grill next year.

GREAT your reviews are coming up!!! :cheer2:
Looks yummy. Next trip we are going to CG for sure.
Cant wait to read more.:) :) :) :) :) :santa: :santa: :santa:

The Honey Crunch Cake looks the best in the pictures. What's in it?

I'm not certain. DS gobbled it down without offering a bite to anyone.:sad2: Here's how it is described on the menu: Inspired by "The Year of a Million Dreams" - Honey Crunch Cake with Chantilly Cream, Oven-roasted Golden Pineapple and Crunch Candy Crumble.

Great start! Count me in!

I have been thinking about adding Spoodles to our trip. I'm excited to see what you thought of it.

Thanks!

Shellie

I'm not certain. DS gobbled it down without offering a bite to anyone.:sad2: Here's how it is described on the menu: Inspired by "The Year of a Million Dreams" - Honey Crunch Cake with Chantilly Cream, Oven-roasted Golden Pineapple and Crunch Candy Crumble.
It must have been good then, LOL.;)

Next up - Coral Reef. We were really excited about this one as we'd never been there before. Let me agree with what everyone else has said - there is no bad seat in this restaurant. We were seated on the second level with a great view of the tank and it's residents. Our server was Kelly and she was very good. To start things off DH got a Coral Mary and I had a dirty Gin Martini(a trend starting here):

WDW2007033.jpg

WDW2007034.jpg

The appetizers were a mixed bag - DH ordered the "Land & Sea" which he said was "eh...OK". It didn't really look all that appetizing to me.

WDW2007035.jpg

The teens both had the Lobster Soup which they both loved.

WDW2007037.jpg

I had the Cod Cake, which was recommended by a fellow DISer (Thanks Janice!). It was the best appetizer of the night.

WDW2007036.jpg

DH & I were disappointed in the seafood selections here and I had read that the steak here was very good so that's what we both ordered(medium rare). They both came out well done. We told the waitress and were assured the steaks would be done correctly this time. The manager then came out and apologized and started saying the standards for cooking steaks were a little different in Disney. I asked him if he saw our steaks and he said no. If he had, he would have known there was more than just a slight difference in what we ordered and what we got. Long story short, after the kids were done eating our steaks came out still overcooked but edible.

The teens ordered the salmon which was pretty good and the king crab legs which were proclaimed the best entree of the night.

WDW2007040.jpg

WDW2007038.jpg

WDW2007039.jpg

Desserts were very good. We had the Chocolate Wave (I had a glass of Rosa Regale with mine;) ), and the creme brulee.

WDW2007043.jpg

WDW2007042.jpg

Overall thoughts - Beautiful restaurant, but I would like to see more seafood options on the menu, probably will not be going back.

Our rating: :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I have heard mixed reviews about Coral Reef-but do they still have the character meal??? We went to one there waaayyyyy back in 1995!! It was FUN(and we had no kids with us-just 2 married couples!)

Lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter