dining plans and split stay

ibela

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
So we're going for a total of 4 nights, 2 nights each at 2 resorts. I definitely want to add the QS plan for the first part of the stay and am considering adding the QS plan for the second part as well. On our overlap day (the day we switch resorts), would the credits from the first hotel be used automatically or is this something that will result in my being at first services to fix? Looking for answers from people who have done this before, I know I'm not the first to do a split stay with dining plans. ;)
Thanks!

It SHOULD take the credits from the first stay before starting on the second stay, but there are no guarantees. When you check out of the first one, get a print out of what you have left, so you have a paper trail just in case you do need to fix it.

Everything that I researched states that the second stay's DDP won't load until all of the previous DDP's credits are exhausted or expire at midnight. I am trying this all out next week so I can't say for sure, though!

Everything that I researched states that the second stay's DDP won't load until all of the previous DDP's credits are exhausted or expire at midnight. I am trying this all out next week so I can't say for sure, though!
If you remember, please let me know how it goes. Thanks!

We're back! Everything worked perfectly!

We used up all of our quick service credits first, then table and then snack. Once we used the very last credit from the first plan (on our check out/check in day) we were able to use credits on the new plan. If you have even one credit leftover, though, you have to use it or let it expire before you can touch any of the new credits.

Have fun!! :)

We used up all of our quick service credits first, then table and then snack. Once we used the very last credit from the first plan (on our check out/check in day) we were able to use credits on the new plan. If you have even one credit leftover, though, you have to use it or let it expire before you can touch any of the new credits.

Thanks for reporting back. I am planning my first split stay in March and I had never heard that you had to use all your dining credits from the first stay before using credits from your second stay. That could have messed up my plans if I had not known.

I didnt know that either. Thanks so much for reporting back and glad you had a good time!!

We did a 3/3 split stay and did not have any issues with using up the first set of credits -- those first credits will need to be used up by the midnight of your check out, so like someone else mentioned get a print out at check out so that you know exactly what you have to use up. Keep in mind that you do get another set of mugs even though the first set will be still active. We had 8 mugs by the end of our trip and they are great souvenirs if you have the space to pack them - you could actually use them to pack small clothing or breakable items so they really shouldn't take up too much space.

you have to use it or let it expire before you can touch any of the new credits.
I'm not sure if explaining it this way is correct -- so if you had 1 snack credit left you could do a TS or QS meal from the new plan and then use that left over snack credit up the later that day. Maybe someone else can comment, but i do not think all credits need to be used up first

I'm not sure if explaining it this way is correct -- so if you had 1 snack credit left you could do a TS or QS meal from the new plan and then use that left over snack credit up the later that day. Maybe someone else can comment, but i do not think all credits need to be used up first
This gets complicated if you're switching to a different plan. Let's say you have the deluxe plan at first, and then switch to the regular plan. On your switch day, you have a lunch QS and a dinner TS. You cannot use a QS credit from the second plan and save a credit from the deluxe plan for later. If the earlier credit is valid for the meal, it has to be used first. Since deluxe credits aren't differentiated between QS and TS, you'll end up using the more valuable credit for the cheaper meal.

Now, that's a very specific scenario that most people will never encounter. But when you complicate things, things get complicated.

This gets complicated if you're switching to a different plan. Let's say you have the deluxe plan at first, and then switch to the regular plan. On your switch day, you have a lunch QS and a dinner TS. You cannot use a QS credit from the second plan and save a credit from the deluxe plan for later. If the earlier credit is valid for the meal, it has to be used first. Since deluxe credits aren't differentiated between QS and TS, you'll end up using the more valuable credit for the cheaper meal.

Now, that's a very specific scenario that most people will never encounter. But when you complicate things, things get complicated.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to say thank you @supersnoop because this is the EXACT scenario that we would have been dealing with in May had I not done some research.

Yep we are complicating things, but not really because we wanted to. We are staying at CSR and decided to add on 2 extra nights, problem is that they no longer have any standard rooms. We could upgrade to a Jr. Suite at almost double the price (no thanks)or add 2 nights in a preferred room and make it a ticketless package(yes please). We figured that since we are staying 5 nights deluxe, we could just do the regular plan for the last 2 nights. I booked a PPO BOG breakfast thinking that I could use our QS credits from the new plan and then use the remaining deluxe credits for Boathouse that night for dinner.

I love Disboards, I would have never known about this without it! THANK YOU OP and all who answered you have just saved me a whole bunch of headache!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter