Dining Plan = Too Much Food!

We are staying 10 days for our upcoming trip, we are doing the dining plan when we are at OKW for 5 nights. THe first weekend and the last will be OOP. We also have the DDE card.

We decided to add on the dining plan because.....

-we ALWAYS choose lunch at places, since it is cheaper = this way we can eat at dinner, which we rarely get to do.
-Every time we sat down to lunch, for 2 ad, 2 kids it was around $80- $100, including disount, tax and tip. - Well the dining plan for the 4 of us, is $100, I would budget well over $100 a day for food for the 4 of us.
-PLUS, we always make a store run, eat dinner in the room, trying to cut on costs, we will have a worry free 6 days of eating.
-PLUS, we are doing the Candlelight, which after tax and tip is $60 for ad, $50 for ch, that is $220!!! almost half of our dining plan expense for one table service credit!!

I don't care about the amount of food, it will still be a savings for us.

wdwobsessed said:
Do people only eat one meal a day??

I think the plan is just right:

Snack - breakfast
CS - lunch
TS - dinner

Even my skinny kids can handle that!

We eat three meals a day normally ... even when on WW + snacks. We just eat less at each meal.

Maybe people are stuffing themselves at each meal?
WDWO

I think it is the amount of food at each meal, not the amount of meals. At home, I eat fruit and yogurt, or fruit and an energy bar for breakfast, which I suppose is a "snack." For lunch, I have a small portion of leftovers, or a sandwich, or soup, not a large sandwich & chips/fries & brownie. At dinner, I have about 6 oz. meat or fish, about a cup of rice or pasta, and veggies/salad, not an appetizer, 12 oz meat & 2 c rice/potatoes & veggies slathered in butter, and a dessert. In fact, more often than not, I won't eat a dessert at home, and if I do it is an apple or some other fruit. I round out my daily meals with snacks (1/4 c nuts in the morning, & maybe some pretzels or fruit/veggies in the afternoon). My "semi-grazing" style of eating is not really conducive to the 3-meals-a-day aspect of the plan, so I'd still need to pay OOP for some of my food each day.
Also, I think a lot of people feel the need to do better than break even when on the dining plan, or else, why even bother with it and just pay OOP (thus going against the "just eat what you want and don't order the rest" argument)?
I LOVE food, and I can certainly see eating a few big meals when on vacation, but I start to feel really gross if I continually eat so differently than I do at home - I feel lethargic, then have trouble sleeping at night, bathroom habits are off, etc.
I know that many people do not necessarily agree with me, and I do not think they are gluttons for endorsing the meal plan, they just have different eating patterns. I also struggled a long time with my weight, and I know how easy it would be for me to slide back into bad habits, and I come from a frugal family, so I'd be tempted to make the most of the plan. Frankly, I don't need that temptation, either, and coupling that with my other reasons, the meal plan is not really my best bet.

We are using DDP on our first ever trip. I like the idea of meals are prepaid. If paying OOP We wouldn't try so many character meals or fancy sit down places' I think an hour or so break in airconditioningwill be great . We too plan on a light bresakfast, so as not to be stufffed for that morning rush and eat lunch around 11 and dinner 4-5 ish. Will bring snax from home and save s.c. for watching parades, fireworks and breakfasts ( box of donuts) Maybe we'll share some c.s even some t.s so we'll have extra for late night munchies at hotel or for last day. Will post on how it works out :banana: :banana: :cheer2: :cheer2: :moped: :wave: :wave: :wave:

We also went back and forth about the dining plan. We did it last year, and thought it was a lot of food, but when I sat down to figure out where we'll eat this year, it turned out that with just the TS meals we were planning we would probably break even, even if we don't order an appetizer and dessert every time. We have 3 character breakfasts in addition to all our ts credits that we will pay oop for. The number of sit down meals we are doing are the same whether on the dining plan or not, and it seems with dining plan we'll just have cs and sc as an addition in case we need it. Most likely we'll use our sc on drinks, that's what we did last year.

I don't understand the problem with the meal plan from this perspective. Eat what you want. I eat at least three times per day. Having a snack, a counter service, and a table service was hardly difficult for me. Here's how I did it last week.

Breakfast in the room around 6 or 6:30. Usually a pastry and coffee and water.

Snack at some point in the morning. Most likely water.

Lunch at a counter service restaurant. Sometimes I had a Mickey bar for dessert, sometimes it was some other treat like pie or a brownie. I NEVER eat an entire counter service meal, so I'd share with the baby. Then I'd eat whatever portion of my dessert I wanted.

Later in the afternoon I'd have water and some kind of snack (OOP).

Around 5 or 6 we'd sit down to dinner, hungry, and order an app. each. An entree each. A dessert each. None of us ever cleared our plate, and we passed everything around. I never left a restaurant feeling gluttonous or uncomfortable.

I guess I just don't understand. When I'm in WDW I'm in near constant motion. I don't pick attractions and rides because of location and have no issues with going back and forth across a park several times per day. I usually log about 8 miles of walking everyday while on vacation. How could I not be hungry every few hours?

Oh well, different strokes I suppose!

I agree 100% with u! Like I keep saying, its not how much you order, its what you order. You dont have to order everything that you are getting. Heck, there maybe somedays for lunch where all I want is my desert and drink and forget the combo meal. And whatever you do order, no body is forcing you to eat everything on ur plate. My parents NEVER forced that rule on me. Infact it was just the opposite. They taught me when I start feeling full, stop, so I dont make myself sick. Thats what everyones problems are. You all think you have to order everything or eat everything when you dont. Thats why everyone is always feeling stuffed or feeling sick and bloated after you eat. Its because you ate to much. Your stomach can only hold so much. Once you start feeling full, stop. Its not that complicated. For everyone who was taught to clean ur plates when you were kids, I think its time you took a different approach. You dont have to do what your parents say anymore. You're adults. If you dont wanna eat everything on ur plates, dont. Start your own eating habits. You'll be much happier. You wont have that constant nagging thought at the back of your mind while trying to enjoy your meal that you MUST eat everything. You're all acting like if you leave food behind the world is gonna come to and end or Disney is gonna go bankrupt or something. Trust me. Neither is gonna happen. If it did, it would have happened along time ago. I dont get how people can just walk around the biggest park in the world all day and not get hungry. It doesnt matter how much I eat at each meal. I always get hungry by my next meal between riding rides and walking all over the place. Have you considered maybe stretching out the park some? Like do a couple rides in 1 area then walk across the park do a couple rides in another area, go to another area do a couple more there. That way your constantly moving. And who knows. You might actually find wait times less then doing all 1 area, then another, then another, and etc. You could be in 1 line in Fantasyland for like an hr waiting to ride dumbo when there could be like a line thats only 15 mins at another ride somewhere. You would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Getting hungry for your next meal and waiting in short lines.

mrsltg said:
I don't understand the problem with the meal plan from this perspective. Eat what you want. I eat at least three times per day. Having a snack, a counter service, and a table service was hardly difficult for me. Here's how I did it last week.

Breakfast in the room around 6 or 6:30. Usually a pastry and coffee and water.

Snack at some point in the morning. Most likely water.

Lunch at a counter service restaurant. Sometimes I had a Mickey bar for dessert, sometimes it was some other treat like pie or a brownie. I NEVER eat an entire counter service meal, so I'd share with the baby. Then I'd eat whatever portion of my dessert I wanted.

Later in the afternoon I'd have water and some kind of snack (OOP).

Around 5 or 6 we'd sit down to dinner, hungry, and order an app. each. An entree each. A dessert each. None of us ever cleared our plate, and we passed everything around. I never left a restaurant feeling gluttonous or uncomfortable.

I guess I just don't understand. When I'm in WDW I'm in near constant motion. I don't pick attractions and rides because of location and have no issues with going back and forth across a park several times per day. I usually log about 8 miles of walking everyday while on vacation. How could I not be hungry every few hours?

Oh well, different strokes I suppose!

Is a buffet too much food? I guess it is if you see the need to try everything. Same with the dining plan. You'll generally get your monies worth if you skip appetizers and dessert. No reason why you can't just order a small salad as an appetizer.

Those were quite a bit of assumptions.

I felt it was too much food. I only eat one full meal a day and I light snack. I simply do not like to see things go to waste. Others made a statement that they felt it was too much food for them and some of us agreed.

There are really two issues.

The plan may very well provide more food than some individuals and families want to eat. If the dining plan is "free" the value of one TS meal per day/per person far exceeds whatever discount would have otherwise been available. Some families might skip paying for the dining plan if they normally eat light.

The other question is if the plan should offer less food. One full (TS) meal and one light (CS) meal really isn't too much food for most people. Some guests don't want to skip included menu items. There is no reason why everyone has to order appetizers and dessert. A dining plan that omitted appetizers would probably cost about the same.

First timer said:
Those were quite a bit of assumptions.

I felt it was too much food. I only eat one full meal a day and I light snack. I simply do not like to see things go to waste. Others made a statement that they felt it was too much food for them and some of us agreed.

Lewisc said:
There are really two issues.

The plan may very well provide more food than some individuals and families want to eat. If the dining plan is "free" the value of one TS meal per day/per person far exceeds whatever discount would have otherwise been available. Some families might skip paying for the dining plan if they normally eat light.

The other question is if the plan should offer less food. One full (TS) meal and one light (CS) meal really isn't too much food for most people. Some guests don't want to skip included menu items. There is no reason why everyone has to order appetizers and dessert. A dining plan that omitted appetizers would probably cost about the same.

Let me put it this way: It was too much food for my family and me. We do not eat three meals a day. We left behind a great deal of the CS meals - because again it was too much food for us. The plan was not too costly (again for us) and I would opt to have it again anyway as it is most convenient to have your meals prepaid. Perhaps if they offered a plan with snacks and TS we would opt for that. However now that we know how it works we will use the CS credits for snacks instead. We did do the buffet style TS (Crystal Palace) and sampled a few things we did not have dessert because we were too full. As a matter of fact we only had dessert twice, once at Kona's and once at the Coral Reef.

This is all simply a matter of opinion and something I myself found useful when I was planning my first trip. It is most helpful to have a forum where one might review various opinions on options that are available.

I feel, though, that the measure shouldn't be of the food not eaten, but rather money spent that would not have been spent, otherwise. There are many people who simply would spend less if they were just paying for everything out-of-pocket. However, there are many people who would spend more that way, for the same stuff they could get for less money through the Dining Plan. That's the comparison, though, that folks need to do -- and it isn't a trivial task to project what you'll actually spend if you weren't on the Dining Plan. Folks who put in that work are rewarded with the ability to make a good decision with confidence. Others need to rely on those who have made that computation, and our ability to distill their scenarios into rules-of-thumb. Generally, what I've seen is that if you're going to have 1TS meal each day anyway, you typically cannot go wrong with the Dining Plan. However, it might be an interesting exercise to craft a dining itinerary whereby this isn't the case. I suspect, though, that it would include lots of visits to The Plaza Restaurant (the least expensive 1TS restaurant) or lots of visits to Cinderella's (the 2TS restaurant that provides the least value) or something like that.

Sorry I worded my post poorly. I understand the plan produces too much food for some guests, including your family. I though I was agreeing with your point. Free dining works even if you skip meals but your family would do better not paying for the dining plan.

My second point is I don't think the plan would be as marketable if Disney deleted some items. From a marketing viewpoint the plan gives two meals a day, I'm not sure a lesser plan would have the sizzle. Disney could probably reduce some of the portion sizes but the cost savings wouldn't be enough to reduce the price of the plan. Suppose Disney dropped the CS dessert and changed the appetizer to soup or salad. Maybe just salad served family style. The quantity of food would go down. Now assume the price of the plan stays the same, Disney made the change instead of raising the price of the plan a few dollars. Some guests will be happy that they no longer "get too much food" but many other guests won't think the plan provides "value". I look at the plan as being a "buffet". Too much food for many guests if they eat everything that's available.

First timer said:
Let me put it this way: It was too much food for my family and me. We do not eat three meals a day. We left behind a great deal of the CS meals - because again it was too much food for us. The plan was not too costly (again for us) and I would opt to have it again anyway as it is most convenient to have your meals prepaid. Perhaps if they offered a plan with snacks and TS we would opt for that. However now that we know how it works we will use the CS credits for snacks instead. We did do the buffet style TS (Crystal Palace) and sampled a few things we did not have dessert because we were too full. As a matter of fact we only had dessert twice, once at Kona's and once at the Coral Reef.

This is all simply a matter of opinion and something I myself found useful when I was planning my first trip. It is most helpful to have a forum where one might review various opinions on options that are available.

bicker said:
I feel, though, that the measure shouldn't be of the food not eaten, but rather money spent that would not have been spent, otherwise. There are many people who simply would spend less if they were just paying for everything out-of-pocket. However, there are many people who would spend more that way, for the same stuff they could get for less money through the Dining Plan. That's the comparison, though, that folks need to do -- and it isn't a trivial task to project what you'll actually spend if you weren't on the Dining Plan. Folks who put in that work are rewarded with the ability to make a good decision with confidence. Others need to rely on those who have made that computation, and our ability to distill their scenarios into rules-of-thumb. Generally, what I've seen is that if you're going to have 1TS meal each day anyway, you typically cannot go wrong with the Dining Plan. However, it might be an interesting exercise to craft a dining itinerary whereby this isn't the case. I suspect, though, that it would include lots of visits to The Plaza Restaurant (the least expensive 1TS restaurant) or lots of visits to Cinderella's (the 2TS restaurant that provides the least value) or something like that.

Yes, I see your point.

Value the TS meal at $23-$24 (excluding tax and tip), the CS meal at $8 and the snack at $2. That equals the cost of the plan. As long as the cost of what you order equals those numbers you're OK.

Bicker is correct CRT, at two credits, is one of the worse deals on the plan. The dinner shows aren't much better.

Almost the only way to lose money is if you check out without using all your credits.

I like the DDP simply because it's paid for and I don't have to worry about it!
The cost of the plan still works out in most cases even if you don't eat an app or dessert ... when you add in tax and tip.

Typically when my family of 4 goes out we also order one appetizer to share ... or maybe two if we can't agree on it ... lol. However ... those were sized as appetizers to share ... our experience at WDW was that the apps were sized for individuals. Such as a salad, or a small bowl of soup ... or one spring roll. It was not like they slapped down 4 full sized plates of nacho's on the table like they do at TGI Fridays!

I didn't intend to bash anyone by saying I didn't understand how people felt it was too much food. I just truly didn't understand as we found it just right ...even if that means not finishing all of the dessert or sides. Like I said I tend to not eat fries so I would have a sandwich and cookie for lunch.

WDWO

Lewisc said:
Value the TS meal at $23-$24 (excluding tax and tip), the CS meal at $8 and the snack at $2. That equals the cost of the plan. As long as the cost of what you order equals those numbers you're OK.

Don't forget the tip! At 18% of the tab, it comes to even more money that you're "saving." For our Le Cellier meal, it was almost $40! Even though we left more at several meals, the tips that were included really added up!

sistertrip said:
Don't forget the tip! At 18% of the tab, it comes to even more money that you're "saving." For our Le Cellier meal, it was almost $40! Even though we left more at several meals, the tips that were included really added up!

I didn't forget the tip, my numbers don't add up to the cost of the plan. I assumed an approximately 18% tip on the $23-$24 "value" of the TS meal.

As long as you use your credits and your CS meal is worth at least $8, your snack $2 and your TS meal (without tip) is at least $23-$24 you'll come out ahead.

bicker said:

Well said, and exactly why we decided to get the DDP. I think $$ should be the only real basis of the decision, IMO.

I just read this, which may be of interest to those who found it too much food.
Disney Dining Plan Snack or Merchandise Certificate from August 13 - October 7

As a special offer, Guests who choose to dine in Quick Service locations using their Table Service entitlements will receive a certificate at the Quick Service locations for their choice of one of the following items: two (2) snacks, a collectable Disney Trading Pin and lanyard (pin design may vary), or a "Where the Magic Lives" poster featuring Mickey and his friends. All items are subject to availability.

Guests who choose the two-snack option can redeem the certificate at any Quick Service or Outdoor Foods location or participating Merchandise locations (both snacks must be redeemed at the same time, in the same participating location).

Guests who choose either the pin and lanyard set or Disney poster may redeem the certificate at select Merchandise locations (listed on the certificate).

that was on AllEarsnet.com

Gymbomom said:
I think $$ should be the only real basis of the decision, IMO.

I disagree.

While ensuring that the plan is cost effective based on your groups eating habits is certainly an important concern, I don't believe it should be the only basis of the decision.

For the last trip of just my mother and I financially it came out even to do the DDP versus Paying Cash. And I am sure that if I had paid cash, we would have skipped a few of the things I included and scaled down our costs while we were there. However, it was some of the other points of the plan which swayed my vote into getting it (I did get it and was very pleased that I was able to do so).

The other things to consider:

:) Having meals prepaid (i.e. enjoying an all-inclusive vacation). This was a major consideration for me because it allows me to create an accurate costing prior to leaving. This is important to me but maybe not to others.

:) Compelling us to eat all of our meals "on property". We are often tempted to go off property to eat (for cost and because there are several US restaurants we enjoy but don't get a chance to visit often), but as I learned with my first on-site trip, time is money and driving off property takes time. For us, using the dining plan actually gave us MORE time in the parks. For others this is not the case

:) Ease of Use and convenience. Some people find keeping track of credits difficult. I have had a few issues about credits not being deducted correctly so this did play into my decision but not enough to make me decide not to get it, I just went with the realization that I needed to be watchful. For some, this may cause A LOT of stress, and if it does, I don't care how much money you save, it is not worth it. For my group, travelling with all adults, the dining plan is very convenient though, because everyone can feel free to get what they want, when they want it.

Even if you are not sure that financially the plan will be completely cost effective, if these other considerations appeal to you, it still may be worth getting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter