Dining plan for 6?

MickeyMouse2010

Earning My Ears
We are staying on property. I can't decide if the dining plan is worth it for 3 "adults" (one is 11) and 3 kids. We definitely want at least one character meal and probably would prefer 1-2 table service if not on the dining plan. Going for 6 nights. Is the quick service plan ever more cost effective?

Its hard to say when we do nto know what or where you will eat.

I suggest that you look at the menus and try to figure what your family will probably order, and then compare teh costs. There are online tools to help with this.

I knwo that with the regular DDP if you have kids the plan can pay off if you book character meals or AYCTE meals. Im not so sure about the QSDP. I have never purchased it because it would not work for my family, but from reading he boards, I think the jury is out. You need to cost it out and then decide if it is cost effective.

We are staying on property. I can't decide if the dining plan is worth it for 3 "adults" (one is 11) and 3 kids. We definitely want at least one character meal and probably would prefer 1-2 table service if not on the dining plan. Going for 6 nights. Is the quick service plan ever more cost effective?

If you're going to still want to do those 1-3 TS even with the QSDP, then it probably isn't a good idea to get the QSDP. You'll end up using some of those QS credits for breakfast, which will not get you near the break even point.

The one character meal is going to be expensive. If you can find 6 TS meals you want to do, the regular DDP might be a good fit. As Nancy56 said, you're going to have to do some math.

While you youngsters under 10 is the best time to take them to the character meals if you decide on the DDP, these meals are expensive, but can be really a great way to meet and greet favorite characters while enjoying a meal. Once the children are all 10 the cost of the plan rises and the value is diminished.

I would look at the menus as well as the experiences, decide if you want to dedicate the time to TS dining, and then cost it out.

We really got the value becuase we took the kids to Akershus breakfast, Chef Mickey dinner, Fantasmic Dining Package, etc.

We also all went to BOG breakfast and ordered a full meals for all of us. Thats an expensive meal, but the girls were able to visit the Castle, and eat. They have HUGE appetites! LOL! For us it was a great use of a CS credit.

You could also take them to BOG dinner, which is one TS credit.

I always tell folks to be very honest with how they will tour and dine. Make sure you know if you will want snacks, and if the kids all like their own dessert. Do you order coffee or soft beverages with your dinner when you dine out?

WE learned the expensive way that for us, if my DH accompanies us, the DxDDP is the way to go, and have since upgraded on some trips. I underestimated the number of TS meals he would want as well as the appetizers he ordered for the family.

This can work the other way though. It can be possible to overestimate what you all will want on vacation, so I always think it is best to spend some real time planning, knowing how you vacation.

Book your meals as soon as your window opens, you can add the plan anytime or upgrade from QS to DDP if you see the need. You can cancel the TS meals, but you cannot always get them back should you decide to add them if you decide to book the regular DDP.

It is very rare that the QSDp is any kind of "value," save if you place priority on pre-payment of that dining or are locking in foreign exchange rates that you expect to become unfavorable. You have to mostly make adult meals cost more than $19 each on QSDP to come out ahead. That is difficult to do on the new plans save at a handful of locations.

Thanks! This is all helpful. I guess I'm just nervous about staying on property with no dining plan and wondering how many people do that. I looked up menus, prices ect and I'm pretty confident the QSDP would never work out to be in our favor. We don't mind breakfast in the room and would even consider ordering groceries and making sandwiches to take. I guess the table service comes down to experiences... I do have fantasmic package, chef mickey's, 1900 Park Fare ect. booked at this point. I just have to decide if those are worth the $1650 (both food and experience wise)the dining will cost us for 6 days. We won't do them if we don't get the plan and will probably stick to mostly QSDP. We leave in 2 weeks but just booked about a month ago! I have a 4yo but my others are almost 7, 9 and 11 and probably don't care as much about the characters.

You've got to do the math and figure out if either of the plans you're considering fits the way you want to experience Disney dining.

From a nerd-based math approach, if either of the plans fits your desired style, it will probably work out in the dollars and cents department with equal numbers of "adults" and children. But if you're (significantly) changing your style to fit the plan, it's probably not worth it regardless of the math.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter