Dining in WDW while on Weight watchers?

The best advice I can give to stay on track is either share with your husband or order a kid's meal. You will use up your points with about one third of a regular meal. Maybe order a salad with grilled chicken breast or broccoli or green bean side on occasion if you don't like what he orders. Or a kids meal is plenty and will use up your points depending on what you order. You will still get to enjoy a variety of foods but just in reasonable amounts. I have done that many times with my husband. Look at menus ahead on My Disney Experience to have an idea of what some choices are. Or use Allears.com for the quick service menus. Pass on most desserts. They are not nearly as good as they look. A mickey bar is much better to me. Have a great trip!

I recently used weight watchers to lose 13 pounds. We are local and we go to Disney a lot. Disney is not a huge indulgence for me and my loss goal was (relatively) small, so I didn't break from my diet cause I was at Disney.

That being said...

1) You can get a lot of fitness points for all the walking you'll do. I still track my points after reaching my goal weight - I often get 7-10 fitness points after walking a day at Disney. You're going to spend hours a day walking.
2) Almost every Disney restaurant offers a salad.
3) The new Pandora restaurant has amazing salads.

The best advice I can give to stay on track is either share with your husband or order a kid's meal. You will use up your points with about one third of a regular meal. Maybe order a salad with grilled chicken breast or broccoli or green bean side on occasion if you don't like what he orders. Or a kids meal is plenty and will use up your points depending on what you order. You will still get to enjoy a variety of foods but just in reasonable amounts. I have done that many times with my husband. Look at menus ahead on My Disney Experience to have an idea of what some choices are. Or use Allears.com for the quick service menus. Pass on most desserts. They are not nearly as good as they look. A mickey bar is much better to me. Have a great trip!

Except for the pod cakes at Pandora, I'm over Disney desserts. Most of them taste like they were made on an assembly line.

We are going in December and I am excited to try many of the special foods they have for the holidays at Epcot. I have lost 70 pounds on WW (and still have about 20 to go) and certainly don't want to fall off the wagon. However, I am planning to be disciplined leading into it and having some splurges while I am there. I always eat fruit for breakfast so will continue to do that. Otherwise I am planning on the walking offsetting at least some of the damage I am likely to do, and then getting anything I gain off quickly when I get back.

I totally agree on desserts - usually soooo not worth it. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but salty gets me every time!!

Not on WW, but Nutrisystem, and am down 55 lbs. so far. I have another 15-20 to go. A little concerned about my upcoming trip as we are on the DDP, have a few buffets booked, and also a Dessert Party. :rolleyes1
We have 1 TS booked each day (1 lunch, the rest dinners). I think what I'm going to do is try to stick to what I normally eat at home for Breakfast and LUnch - say a NS muffin and a cheese stick or yogurt for breakfast, then maybe a NS bar and a side salad for lunch, then whatever I want for dinner but just try not to go overboard, and hope all the walking takes care of those extra calories. I think if I write it down I'm more likely to stick to it.

I love Weight Watchers. I gained about 30lbs after I quit smoking and WW helped me take it off and keep it off. It really has changed the way I eat.
While I've been in maintenance for some time, I still count my points everyday.

On vacation I don't count points, but I've been doing it so long I have an idea what everything would be.
I don't go crazy with the junk food and I don't force myself to finish everything on my plate - mainly because it would give me stomach issues if I suddenly starting eating fried foods and desserts everyday! But I also don't worry about everything needing to be healthy.

Don't eat until you are stuffed. Don't make every meal a calorie bomb! Have fruit instead of ice cream a few times. Do treat yourself to what you want to eat, within reason.

Drink plenty of water and all the walking should help you break even. Good luck! :)

I love WW too and it works great for me. I know exactly what you mean when you say you have an idea what everything should be. You kind of get accustomed to estimating point values and then compensate for them. I am almost at my goal and feel great and love that I will have a ton of energy for all that walking. I do notice that if I go off the points for a couple of days, the weight tends to creep up pretty quickly - not by a lot - but it definitely goes on easier than going off. I plan to eat what I want, especially with Food and Wine (points be danged), but I'm not going to go crazy. I'll just get back on program when I get back! Hopefully all that walking will help too! Good luck to you all!!

Not on WW, but Nutrisystem, and am down 55 lbs. so far. I have another 15-20 to go. A little concerned about my upcoming trip as we are on the DDP, have a few buffets booked, and also a Dessert Party. :rolleyes1
We have 1 TS booked each day (1 lunch, the rest dinners). I think what I'm going to do is try to stick to what I normally eat at home for Breakfast and LUnch - say a NS muffin and a cheese stick or yogurt for breakfast, then maybe a NS bar and a side salad for lunch, then whatever I want for dinner but just try not to go overboard, and hope all the walking takes care of those extra calories. I think if I write it down I'm more likely to stick to it.
:thumbsup2 Way to go!!

I went to WDW on WW and lost weight. Drink water, not diet soda. Eat your normal breakfast in the room. Only choose desserts you must have. I had two through the week. I chose salad a few times but did indulge in my favourites--Sci Fi onion rings, a Plaza Burger. Just don't go crazy.

Since you've been on WW with great success for quite a while now you probably have a pretty good idea about what your choices should be even without a rigid adherence to points on vacation. I've successfully kept weight off for almost 20 years now after about that many years of failure to do so.

I used to count calories obsessively. Now I just sort of figure out what looks good to me - fortunately I like vegetables a lot. I don't eat radishes instead of Oreos in the hopes that they will fill me up - but because I actually like radishes.

But last night I wanted a burger - so I ordered one at a great restaurant. But I cut it in half and took the other half home with me. Portion control is critical for long-term success. I also think that not "depriving yourself" is also critical for long-term success. What I like about the current WW is that pretty much anything is allowed - in moderation.

When I go to Food and Wine my DH and I share items - 1 or maybe 2 bites each for us. And then on to the next kiosk. I love beer - but I don't drink there because I just don't like how I feel out in the heat after drinking.

I think you will do just fine. Congrats on your progress and here's to more. :sunny:

Congrats on your weight loss!

I have never done WW while in Disney, I think there was one year I was in the program but I skipped that week.

I can tell you, my last trip in 2013, I lost 5 lbs not trying: we walked every day, the days we didnt walk I was in the pool for hours swimming, not just keeping cool in the bath water, we ate a mix of salads, burgers and turkey legs and we drank water, water, water, well except pool days when soda was allowed with the mugs. Oh and ice cream daily pretty much!

In all the other trips I have gone on, I have never lost weight so I figured it was all the water vs soda and all the swimming in top of walking.

And if you gain a pound it's not the end of the world, it's vacation and you will get back to counting points vs just guessing. Keep up the good work!

I'm currently on WW and have an upcoming trip. I've been on the plan for the last six months so I understand your concern with dining and Disney. How strict you want to be with your diet is such a personal decision as to what works best for an individual. The food has actually been a big part of all of our trips to Disney (usually get deluxe dining) and I'll be there for two days of F&W. I hope to get more salads for appetizers and seafood for entrees but I don't plan on counting actual points. When I eat out at restaurants at home it's difficult to count points so I can't imagine trying to count points for 5 or 6 days at Disney (every meal). Personally, I would be so focused on food and worrying about points, I would not enjoy myself. I plan to start tracking soon after I get home. I do acknowledge that after being off plan for several days or longer it is hard to get back on track but is doable.

If you do go off the plan don't be too hard on yourself and just be stricter the next day or when you get back.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I'm not on WW, but working to lose weight. Just got back from 16 nights in the world and managed to lose 5 lbs. I did a work out in the morning. Had a granola bar and fruit and hit rope drop. Back to our resort for lunch (salads or a sandwich I made in room along with fruit and cucumbers.) and a fun afternoon swim. It was hot! And we had sensible dinners followed by more park time. All the walking and making good choices allowed me to treat myself every couple of days with a dole whip. They are surprisingly low calorie for a Disney dessert. I did indulge in 2 Mickey ice cream sandwiches (one each week at the DVC after hours party). I never felt deprived and was pleasantly surprised this morning to find I kept losing weight. You got this!!!

I did WW last summer and lost 15 lbs but ended gaining it all back throughout the school year. I just started round 2 and I'm going to WDW in 9 days. I've asked around the WW community and it's basically impossible to count points there so I decided to just enjoy myself while I'm there and be strict the week before and after. I'm still really young so a Mickey Bar here and there won't hurt :love: Plus like everyone mentioned, all the walking helps.
Congrats on the weight loss!

Congratulations! As a lifetime member I have done Disney 3 times since reaching goal and I can tell you the walking will make a huge difference. You can get fruit in every park and water is free. Drink a lot of water all day. As others have said try kids meals and look over menus but don't deprive yourself of something you really want to try. You can always share a treat. If you want to do sit down meals at restaurants I suggest breakfast - you will be walking the rest of the day and there are no appetizers or desserts at breakfast. If you do a buffet you can take some fruit to go. You will do great! Look to maintain and don't obsess over every point. Enjoy yourself!

On a recent trip my strategy was to limit breads and fries and enjoy a Mickey bar or Dole Whip each day. DH and I shared almost everything. Bkfst was almost always eggs and fruit or yogurt with fruit. A great meal is the Salmon at CH in MK. Some say it's bland (no or minimal salt in this dish) which is perfect for me. We had a VERY relaxing trip, walked average of 20K steps/day and I lost 3 pounds. That's never happened before.

On a recent trip my strategy was to limit breads and fries and enjoy a Mickey bar or Dole Whip each day. DH and I shared almost everything. Bkfst was almost always eggs and fruit or yogurt with fruit. A great meal is the Salmon at CH in MK. Some say it's bland (no or minimal salt in this dish) which is perfect for me. We had a VERY relaxing trip, walked average of 20K steps/day and I lost 3 pounds. That's never happened before.

Wow! That's great! I would LOVE to lose three pounds while on vacation, but I'm afraid that the three pounds will get the direction confused and add on instead of subtract. LOL

Anyway, I will try to make sensible choices, eat relatively normally and have a few treats - spaced throughout the trip.

I am much encouraged by all the folks here (like you) who have gone before without serious mishap. You are my inspiration to succeed!!! This is my new eating lifestyle so I know that I can do it!!!

Thank you for sharing everyone!

BTW: I'm now down 46 lbs and counting........Yay! Slow but steady, that's me.

Wow! That's great! I would LOVE to lose three pounds while on vacation, but I'm afraid that the three pounds will get the direction confused and add on instead of subtract. LOL

Anyway, I will try to make sensible choices, eat relatively normally and have a few treats - spaced throughout the trip.

I am much encouraged by all the folks here (like you) who have gone before without serious mishap. You are my inspiration to succeed!!! This is my new eating lifestyle so I know that I can do it!!!

Thank you for sharing everyone!

BTW: I'm now down 46 lbs and counting........Yay! Slow but steady, that's me.

You are very sweet and congrats on 46+ pounds! :)
Slow and steady wins the race... now if I can only get out of the starting blocks.

That's what will keep you focused - this is a lifestyle. Remember all you hear in meetings and/or online. One meal at a time. Have a great trip!

I'm going to be honest with you....when I vacation, I don't count points and expect to gain a pound. With that said, I am not going crazy, but I do enjoy myself. If you are concerned, I'd avoid the temptation of buffets and family style meals. Stick with wholesome QS meals (like the salmon and cous cous at Columbia Harbour House) or TS meals that offer lean options like chicken and sirloin steaks. Dole whips are low fat, cool treats. You can also bring your own snacks with you. I always purchase an apple as my snack or a pineapple wedge. Best of luck!

Part of what is helpful is to think of it not as a diet but as a lifestyle change. You can eat healthy but still enjoy yourself while on vacation. I lost close to 100 lbs about 10 years ago (and have kept it off) so it's really about long term changes. What you do on a week of vacation isn't going to (or can't be allowed) to interfere with the long term. It's like the stock market - watching your portfolio every day will drive you crazy, so you just have to look towards the long term.

You can still be "generally healthy" on vacation - don't have dessert with lunch and dinner, for example. At a breakfast buffet eat a lot of fruit and limit the number of trips back to the food, etc.

Part of what I hate now is that all restaurants have the same menus for lunch and dinner. For lunch I'd be OK with a soup or sandwich at most places, but it's hard to not be tempted by the dinner entrees. Since we like to eat TS for most meals, that can be a challenge to just not overeat. I wish that they would go back to having more lunch-geared menus at TS restaurants but I realize that's not going to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter