Dining dress code questions

WebmasterLeah

DIS Veteran
Don't laugh at me, I know we're not supposed to stress about this, but I am so confused about what we can wear to dinner! When we go on vacation, I like to be relaxed and not have to change clothes for meals, so I'm not sure what to wear. :confused3

We're so not dressy people - and I don't mean that we wear sweats or anything, just normal theme park wear of khaki shorts and a t-shirt. Are jeans ok if they're nice? I have stuff like khaki capris or sundresses if needed, but all my hubby has is jeans or dress pants. Can our kids wear t-shirts and shorts or do we have to change them every night?

How formal is the formal night? What do the men wear?

I'm also not looking forward to packing shoes for all these outfits, we normally only do carry ons, but we're going to have to check luggage this time. :(

HELP, oh wise cruisers!! :worship:

Hi Leah. I normally put my menfolk in khaki dockers-type pants and a polo shirt for dinner. We hate dressing up and avoid formal night by eating early and hanging out at the pool or movie theatre in the evening (where no one cares how we are dressed). I wear khaki or black pants/capris with a nicer blouse and prettier shoes and call it a day. I think the point is more that you take some care in how you are dressed, rather than the actual outfit. My goals are: clean, pressed (when needed), no shorts, no crocs/flip flops. YMMV!

HTH,
-Hillary

I agree with Hillary. I have black pants and dressier black crops. I am bringing comfortable black patent sandals and nice blouses and tops for dinner. I have a very nice one for Palo. I like being comfortable at dinner.

Kim

I think Iheard the podcast crew say that nice jeans are ok.
I really don't have any dressy clothes so I bought a couple of nice short sleeve shirts & I plan on wearing my regular every day capris. I am a stay at home mom & I wasn't planning on buying new cruise outfits. The capris I am going to wear I wear to church in the warm weather so I am hoping I won't be judged for dressing down to much.

If anyone had the nerve to judge because of your dining attire, they should drawn and quartered and thrown overboard.

I had really been hoping that my black croc flip flops would pass for dressy.:rolleyes:

Looks like I am going to have to pack nicer sandals for dressing up. :snooty:

I think they will be fine! I hate to pack a bunch of shoes. Just get a nice pedicure and everyone will be dazzled by your beautiful toes and not even notice your shoes. Crocs / Flip Flops rule my world!

The only hard and fast rule we know is NO SHORTS AT PALO - we were there when Pete was told he had to go change. (That went over big as you can imagine.) But, he did!

I had really been hoping that my black croc flip flops would pass for dressy.:rolleyes:

Looks like I am going to have to pack nicer sandals for dressing up. :snooty:

I think your Croc sandals will be fine.
When I think "flip-flops" I think of the .99 cent ones you get at the dollar stores.
I personally have spent a lot of $$ on "thong style sandals" - I can't imagine anyone asking me to leave a restaurant because I was wearing them. Some of my Quote flipflops have cost more than the dress I wear them with :scared1:

I think your Croc sandals will be fine.
When I think "flip-flops" I think of the .99 cent ones you get at the dollar stores.
I personally have spent a lot of $$ on "thong style sandals" - I can't imagine anyone asking me to leave a restaurant because I was wearing them. Some of my Quote flipflops have cost more than the dress I wear them with :scared1:

I hear you sister in Thong style Sandals!
You are my kind!

If they look similar to these, they are probably not acceptable - especially for Palo:
10774_side_001.jpg

If they are from their new dress shoe line, like these, then these would be acceptable:
11254_side_001.jpg

I'm bringing a nice pair(s) of black pants and different tops to mix in. Not sure if I'm bringing sandles or just black shoes...still working on the suitcase situation...

If they look similar to these, they are probably not acceptable - especially for Palo:
10774_side_001.jpg

These are my brand new crocs! They are for the pool and beach. (Maybe if I was bring my really long skirt they would not notice them at Palo.:rolleyes:)

I am bringing better sandals for my better dinners.

Not to appear uppity or anything but in a dining room, I don't expect to hear flip flopping sounds during dinner as you walk by. At the pool or beach fine. Please wear some shoes (or non noisy equivalent) or eat in your room. :rotfl::rotfl:

Not to appear uppity or anything but in a dining room, I don't expect to hear flip flopping sounds during dinner as you walk by. At the pool or beach fine. Please wear some shoes (or non noisy equivalent) or eat in your room. :rotfl::rotfl:

Got to agree with you on the flip flop sounds George.

My mom always taught us as children that if you can walk up to a counter and order your food you can wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops to eat there but if you are sitting at a table and are being handed a menu to order your food then you wear slacks (or nice dress/skirt, etc), nice shirt and nicer shoes. The higher the prices on the menu the nicer those slacks, shirts and shoes become. :lmao:

One of her many gems which has served me well for almost 50 years.

I actually like the formal night for dinner on the cruise! Looking back at PCC 1.0 - how many of you actually said "WOW!" when Todd made his rounds at dinner in his suit??? I know our whole table was enjoying it!

I live in Crocs flips most months of the year (trading them for my Crocs boots when it snows!) - but I have dressy sandals just for cruising! Yup, I wear them 3 hours a year! :rotfl:

I'm really starting to get excited about this trip - just need to get the mountains of clothes and wedding goodies off my dining room table and into a suitcase!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter