Dining Disaster

comomom

Disney Bound 2017
We booked our family's first Disney vacation months ago, and I've been anxiously anticipating our 180 day milestone, so I could start locking in our dining experiences.

Tuesday was the big day. I was up at 5am CST, ready to lock in Day One. I reserved dinner for our arrival night, and I closed up my computer and went about my day.

Later, I was telling a co-worker that I had to wake up early every day this week to reserve dining reservations for each day of our vacation. She looked puzzled and informed me that at 180 days, you can actually make reservations for the whole stay. Dread flooded my senses. I logged into My Disney Experience as soon as I could, but just as I feared, none of the reservations that my family picked out were available. I imagined having to tell my little girl that there would be no dining with princesses on our trip to Disney World, and I almost started crying right there at work.

I called the Disney help line, and the friendly rep told me that all is not lost. She said that people often cancel reservations, and I may have a chance to get one or more of the reservations we wanted.
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies for anticipating when cancellations will most likely occur.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Check daily. Anytime you can. Download the app on your phone and you can check there. Check the day before even. I was able to get a pre park opening be our guest breakfast within 24 hours. Also have you looked at alternatives? I know you said you wanted the princesses - I assume the castle? What about arkishus (totally hacked that spelling but it's in Norway) and look for slightly odd times. Try a late lunch instead of dinner and then have a fun snack at a night time show.

We booked our family's first Disney vacation months ago, and I've been anxiously anticipating our 180 day milestone, so I could start locking in our dining experiences.

Tuesday was the big day. I was up at 5am CST, ready to lock in Day One. I reserved dinner for our arrival night, and I closed up my computer and went about my day.

Later, I was telling a co-worker that I had to wake up early every day this week to reserve dining reservations for each day of our vacation. She looked puzzled and informed me that at 180 days, you can actually make reservations for the whole stay. Dread flooded my senses. I logged into My Disney Experience as soon as I could, but just as I feared, none of the reservations that my family picked out were available. I imagined having to tell my little girl that there would be no dining with princesses on our trip to Disney World, and I almost started crying right there at work.

I called the Disney help line, and the friendly rep told me that all is not lost. She said that people often cancel reservations, and I may have a chance to get one or more of the reservations we wanted.
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies for anticipating when cancellations will most likely occur.

Try Touring Plans reservation finder. It's free & it works. Also, don't talk up any restaurant plans with the kids until you've actually got the reservations.

People often cancel things as the trip draws near, especially the night before, which is the last chance for them to cancel without paying a penalty fee. CRT is less likely to have cancellations because people pay in advance (although it is refundable). Akershus typically has more availability than CRT.

use the Touring Plans Dining Reservation Finder, it's free.

Just keep checking and checking and checking. It will probably get easier as your trip gets closer and people iron out their plans. Good luck!

I'm assuming you're traveling in November? Follow the November canceled adr thread here. People cancel all the time and you can coordinate (as long as you have at least 10 posts here) to get the res. They'll drop it at a specific time and you'll be logged in waiting to grab it.

Also sign up for free res finders on touring plans, you can do up to two, and mouse dining, you can do up to six.

People cancel all the time.

Also keep checking mde...daily. Multiple times.

Yesterday was my 180 day and I couldn't get any of the ADRs I wanted at the times I wanted. I couldn't get BOG at all. The same thing happened last year, but by checking for cancellations almost every day, I finally got the ADRs I wanted. I've not used any of the reservation finders, but I've heard they work well.

Hope everything works out well for you. Have a magical trip!

Check daily. Anytime you can. Download the app on your phone and you can check there. Check the day before even. I was able to get a pre park opening be our guest breakfast within 24 hours. Also have you looked at alternatives? I know you said you wanted the princesses - I assume the castle? What about arkishus (totally hacked that spelling but it's in Norway) and look for slightly odd times. Try a late lunch instead of dinner and then have a fun snack at a night time show.

I've tried every possible time for Cinderella's Royal Table for the two days we plan to do MK, and I've tried every possible time for Akershus on the day we plan to do Epcot as well. Any other dining options with princesses that you know of?

use the Touring Plans Dining Reservation Finder, it's free.
I signed up for that yesterday, but I haven't gotten any notifications yet. I'm bummed that you have to select one date and one meal time for the search. I would take any time, any date that we'll be there.

I've tried every possible time for Cinderella's Royal Table for the two days we plan to do MK, and I've tried every possible time for Akershus on the day we plan to do Epcot as well. Any other dining options with princesses that you know of?

1900 park fare has Cinderella and her sisters. Also I believe one of the restaurants has a breakfast with rapunzel ( boardwalk resort...trattoria el forno).

The bon voyage breakfast at trattoria al forno has Ariel/eric, rapunzel/Flynn.

Yesterday was my 180 day and I couldn't get any of the ADRs I wanted at the times I wanted. I couldn't get BOG at all. The same thing happened last year, but by checking for cancellations almost every day, I finally got the ADRs I wanted. I've not used any of the reservation finders, but I've heard they work well.

Hope everything works out well for you. Have a magical trip!
Thank you for giving me hope! Did you have a certain time of day that you checked when you were successful last year, or did you check throughout the day?

I signed up for that yesterday, but I haven't gotten any notifications yet. I'm bummed that you have to select one date and one meal time for the search. I would take any time, any date that we'll be there.

Also sign up at ***********. You can select meals, not just times.

Also, with touring plans. If you get an alert and miss the res you need to restart the search FYI. *********** you dont

Also, people can cancel the night before with no penalty. And they get an email with 48 hours left reminding them to cancel if necessary, so be sure to check at 48 hours out and 24 hours out (after allowing time for them to cancel.)

Our first trip was planned in about a month. We were able to grab CRT with only a couple weeks left before arriving. Keep checking, all the time. Things will pop up.

1900 Park Fare with Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner is hosted by Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, and Anastasia and Drisella.

Doesn't have just princesses but with Cinderella there that might work. Heard it's a great interaction too.

I waited too late to book the Bon Voyage princess breakfast and Touring Plans had me one in less than 2 days. They also got me a BOG and a pre park opening Akershus. Also, if you play around with your MDE, you can check out all the availability within the next week or so. I always pretend I'm at the park and see what's available in 1 or 2 days, and you'd be amazed what people drop at the last minute. Last 2 trips we have dropped 5:30, 6:00 BOG dinners at the last minute (day before) because our plans changed.

You can do a date range search--say, BOG dinner for every night you are there. I have one running right now. I started planning our Thanksgiving trip last year with about 4 months notice and got what I wanted--BOG PPO, CRT dinner. You just have to check often and use the reservation finder. It might take weeks, but it's doable.

I found that a lot of openings popped up starting around the 70 day mark. I think people tend to cancel reservations after they get their FPs and have to change plans. And of course stuff comes up at the last minute as people cancel just before the 24 hour mark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter