• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining at Palo or Remy as a solo

maddysmom

Earning My Ears
I am a single parent and will be cruising with my dd10. I'm not a huge fan of dining solo but really want to try Palo and/or Remy. What has been others experience with dining solo? Uncomfortable or easy to do? Normally when I done alone, I take a book but it doesn't seem that that would be appropriate for these restaurants. Thanks for any advice!

I've dined at palo solo and Victoria and Alberts (similar to remy). I too brought a book or something as my security blanket but the servers are excellent and pace everything so well that between the food, drink and view you won't need it. Very comfortable and not awkward. Please go!

Just a quick thought. Have you looked into going with another person in your cruise meet thread? Some times a DH won't want to go but the DW will, or there might be an other in the same situation as you.

I am a single parent and will be cruising with my dd10. I'm not a huge fan of dining solo but really want to try Palo and/or Remy. What has been others experience with dining solo? Uncomfortable or easy to do? Normally when I done alone, I take a book but it doesn't seem that that would be appropriate for these restaurants. Thanks for any advice!

I'm doing the same, for next year's westbound Panama Canal cruise. I definitely want to do both brunch and dinner at Palo, and I'm nervous about it! I'm pretty shy, so it will be quite an experience, along with other activities I'll be having to do solo!

I've dined at palo solo and Victoria and Alberts (similar to remy). I too brought a book or something as my security blanket but the servers are excellent and pace everything so well that between the food, drink and view you won't need it. Very comfortable and not awkward. Please go!

I did the same thing at Remy, and found I never wanted to open my book!

I planned to book myself a dinner reservation at Remy and a brunch reservation at Palo on my cruise as well. Also a single mom here. I am a little nervous about dining solo as well! When are you cruising?

I would say go, without hesitation. I haven't dined solo at either restaurant, but when we were at Remy for brunch, there was a lady dining solo. The servers spoke with her often, and we enjoyed chatting with her, too. She was a seasoned DCL cruiser (I believe her cruises numbered in the high 20's), so we loved hearing about her experiences and which itineraries she liked most. Even without conversation, the beautiful view, in combination with the fabulous food and atmosphere, would make the experience wonderful.

This is good information - I too am cruising solo this year and I wanted to be sure and hit Palo, but I wondered about Remy as a solo cruiser.

I went to Palo brunch solo. I wish I had brought a book. It was hard slowing down when I didn't have anyone to talk to. Not sure if it was me or my server, but I felt like he thought I was odd because I was solo AND I certainly wasn't going back to the buffet as much as other people I saw.

At the end he went to the dessert buffet for me, didn't want me to go (I don't know why, he was weirding me out and my insecurities were getting the best of me, so I didn't ask) and got me some items. They were OK, but no chocolate. By that time I was far too full. Hint: don't get water if you have a smaller appetite. The water filled me up and I would rather have been able to have a bit more food.

As I was saying goodbye to the hostess the manager came over and asked how my meal was, I just said it was good and the topic of my being alone came up. I mentioned that DH didn't want to go and DS was too young. At that point he called my server back and made my server create a "to go" package of treats (chocolate, this time!) for my son.

Don't take all that to mean they will make you feel uncomfortable. I think a lot of my feelings came from me, because I didn't bring a book (should have brought a book) or a notebook or something, and because of the insecurities I still carry due to having been unhappily so much heavier for so long in the past (still getting used to my new reality), and because I have a hard time making small talk with people and my server really wanted to make small talk. (it's just not something I do naturally, and when nervous I'm even worse about it...throw in an accent and a fast-talker, like my server, and I'm toast)

I don't mean to sound grabby, but...the manager really seemed to want to make sure my son could partake in some way of the experience, so, maybe, mention your daughter. :blush:

I planned to book myself a dinner reservation at Remy and a brunch reservation at Palo on my cruise as well. Also a single mom here. I am a little nervous about dining solo as well! When are you cruising?

Aug. 9th Fantasy. You?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've posted to my group and we'll see if there are any takers! I may book what I can at my window and then adjust. Maybe brunch at one and dinner at the other? Which would you do for which? I enjoy good food, not a foodie, but will try and enjoy almost anything!

Do whatever feels comfortable for you - no shame or stigma in dining alone. For me, I feel that it would be a 'lesser' experience in Palo or Remy if I had a book in front of my nose, but that doesn't mean that you would feel the same way.

If you have concerns about dining alone, have you considered attending brunch instead of dinner? Especially with Palo, you can have a plate of food in front of you from minute 1, and never have to feel like you are sitting there staring at the walls waiting for your next course to arrive.

By the way, I 'like' your screen name.

I dined at Remy solo. My server was very attentive and I took a book with me and watched the ocean. :) (This was brunch.)

I cruise with my children, so I did Palo brunch solo. I actually enjoy dining alone sometimes because I don't have to entertain children or read menus for them or try to make small talk with a stranger. I can just chill and enjoy a nice meal. I think I take it the way some people take a trip to the spa. That being said, I never felt uncomfortable or out of place at brunch. My waiter was very attentive but not overly intrusive and I was able to just have a break and some me time.

I have experience dining solo at Remy for dinner! Yay for being relevant! :lmao:

All kidding aside, I should start by saying that I have no problem dining solo. I do it at WDW, I do it at home. And I took a solo 3 night cruise on the Dream, and I didn't let my lack of a dinner partner stop me from having dinner at Remy.

Schedule: My normal dining rotation on cruises is late seating, but I switched it up for Remy dinner. I scheduled it for first night, somewhere between 5:30 to 6pm. Before anyone starts freaking out about getting enough time to clean up and dress up, I was fine. I packed my cocktail dress, hosiery, and shoes in my carry-on bag. Because I am neurotic about getting luggage delivered with enough time to get ready, and I didn't need to worry.

I didn't bring a book. But I didn't need one. I was seated before sunset, so I was treated to a beautiful view at a half-moon curved banquette booth facing the sea. I was also the first party seated, and I felt I received the star treatment from everyone. The various servers made time to stop and chat with me, explaining some of the dishes being served. I opted for wine pairings, and the sommelier was fun and stopped by often to chat with me, as well.

May 2012 on the Dream, the menu was not a la carte. It was completely at the discretion of the restaurant what to serve me. That did change, possibly because many people might not be as open as I am with food choices. I loved everything they put in front of me, and I had a visit from the chef after I was done. I would definitely do another solo dinner at Remy or Palo without hesitation.

im doing my next trip solo 14days and im doing at least once dinner and once brunch solo

I've dined solo at Palo brunch and just enjoyed watching people and the view. On my last Dream cruise I posted on my cruise meet and met up with three other solo moms. That was fun. we had so much food on the table.

I have experience dining solo at Remy for dinner! Yay for being relevant! :lmao:

All kidding aside, I should start by saying that I have no problem dining solo. I do it at WDW, I do it at home. And I took a solo 3 night cruise on the Dream, and I didn't let my lack of a dinner partner stop me from having dinner at Remy.

Schedule: My normal dining rotation on cruises is late seating, but I switched it up for Remy dinner. I scheduled it for first night, somewhere between 5:30 to 6pm. Before anyone starts freaking out about getting enough time to clean up and dress up, I was fine. I packed my cocktail dress, hosiery, and shoes in my carry-on bag. Because I am neurotic about getting luggage delivered with enough time to get ready, and I didn't need to worry.

I didn't bring a book. But I didn't need one. I was seated before sunset, so I was treated to a beautiful view at a half-moon curved banquette booth facing the sea. I was also the first party seated, and I felt I received the star treatment from everyone. The various servers made time to stop and chat with me, explaining some of the dishes being served. I opted for wine pairings, and the sommelier was fun and stopped by often to chat with me, as well.

May 2012 on the Dream, the menu was not a la carte. It was completely at the discretion of the restaurant what to serve me. That did change, possibly because many people might not be as open as I am with food choices. I loved everything they put in front of me, and I had a visit from the chef after I was done. I would definitely do another solo dinner at Remy or Palo without hesitation.

That is great that you got all that attention. Pretty ladies dining alone will always get attention. Guys, not so much. Not that we need anything. Just an observation. Personally, I occasionally dine alone on board, but never have at Palo, Remy. Might consider it though. I'd actually like to see the kitchen or talk with the chef.

I have seen (and visited with) many people dining solo at brunch at Palo. They seemed to be having a good time with their servers and visiting with others while up getting food from the buffet. I have not noticed this as much at dinner - but I have probably had 3 times as many brunches as dinners.

I leave Thursday for a solo cruise on Dream. I booked a dinner at Palo and one at Remy solo-mostly because a thread about crazy tablemates made me a bit nervous about the main dining rooms and having to dine with strangers-rather be on my own than with some of the crazies described on that thread!!! I plan to do a trip report for the benefit of other solos. Right now, I think I am looking forward to those meals as much as the rest of the cruise! The description of being at Palo at Sunset makes me want to check my reservation timing though. Bet that is amazing...

I'm a solo cruiser and I always enjoy my visits to Palo/Remy. I don't mind dining alone and I don't feel uncomfortable at all. In fact, I'm looking forward to booking several reservations at Palo at the end of this month for my upcoming WBTA in September which will be my seventh solo Disney Cruise. I suggest that if you enjoy dining at Palo or Remy you should go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter