Dining at Disney with a 16y.o. Reviews with pictures from August trip

disneyAndi14

DIS Veteran
Hi to all. I have decided to write a quick dining report from our trip this August. My DD Andi and I were at the world from 8/21-8/29/16. We like trying new places, however, Andi is a very simple small eater so we often share things and don't order anything to exotic. We tried some new places and also went back to a couple faves. We do mother/daughter trips a couple times a year. We are AP holders but we do not have the TIW card. We payed OOP for all our meals. We charge everything to our magic bands then pay before checkout with my gift cards, I have purchased. I usually get my GC from SAMs club so I save a little money that way.

We stayed at Pop the first night and the GF for seven nights. We really enjoyed both of the resorts image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg . Our first day we always go to MK and have corn dog nuggets and fries at Casey's Corner. This time was no different, I did forget to get pictures of our first meal, we shared them. We later in the evening had a dole whip and tried the BBQ chicken macaroni and cheese at the Friar's Nook, this was pretty good. It was a little rich so glad we shared it. I will show pictures of our resort and the Mac and cheese, we did better with pictures after the first day.

Joining in! I have a 16 year old boy who also prefers more simple options. :)

9/22/16. First full day. We had a breakfast ADR at CP. We decided on a later morning breakfast so we could sleep in a little the first morning. Our night at Pop had been just fine, we were in the 80's section, top floor, close to buses. Those were my 2 requests. We got everything ready to be sent over to GF and headed to MK.

We have had dinner at CP twice in the past, so this breakfast was a first for us here. We really enjoyed the options and had good service. Our waiter was very pleasant and did keep our drinks filled, this is always a plus for me. I enjoyed the Mickey waffles, cheesy potatoes, croissants, and many of the other choices. I tried the Pooh lasagna it was good as well. Andi enjoyed her choices. We did get photos with all the characters as well, however they are on my DD camera so I don't have them for the report. I will post the pictures from the breakfast now, then review our dinner. I have read many of these reports, however I have never written one so the pictures I hope are okay in the order. The first couple are our plates and then some buffet pictures.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

T-Rex dinner 8/22/16. We went to DS for the late afternoon and evening. I have Landry's card so we used this for a table and got right in. We were so overwhelmed with the dinosaurs, we forgot to take pictures of our meal. We shared a cheeseburger with waffle fries and split the mozzarella sticks for an appetizer. Wow this place was really busy. We did have a good waiter, he was really nice and efficient. He kept our water glasses filled. It was very hot this day. So ice water was our choice of drink. I had forgot about the birthday money with the Landry card and since it had been my birthday in July we got 25.00 off our bill so we ended up only paying 9.50 including the tip. I wanted to try Sprinkles but the line was so long so I passes. Andi did get an ice cream bar later in the evening. Sorry for no food pictures from T-Rex. We were seated by the mom and baby triceratops so this was distracting us. LOLimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg 8/23/16. AK Yak and Yeti for lunch and HS 50's PT for dinner. We discovered Yak and Yeti a few trips ago and love it, this is our third time here for lunch. The other two times we shared the potstickers, honey chicken, and the wonton dessert. This time I convinced Andi to try a different entree, we still had the potstickers and cream cheese wonton dessert but for our main course we tried the chicken tikka masala. Andi thought it was okay but she likes the honey chicken better. I really enjoyed the masala. I put it over my rice and the bread was so good. The potstickers and dessert were awesome as usual. We had a great waiter here as well, he was very attentive and was fine with us sharing. We sometimes get the look and the service goes down some when they find out we are sharing, but not here.

50's PT dinner. We had a two top in the corner of the first room and it was so busy and loud, however, our waiter was nice except he never did refill my cherry coke and was just to busy with the bigger tables.
We shared here as well, we had the onion rings for the appetizer and the sampling of mom's favorites. This was very good. It was the perfect amount for the two of us. We did not do dessert here since we had it at lunch time.

8/24/16. Gasparilla Island Grill for lunch and Tony's for dinner. Today we had our Marceline to Magic tour at 0800 so we were in MK at 0745. This tour was so awesome, our tour guide was so good. I really enjoyed this tour so much. We have done the KTTKT before and to me this was even better. It was all about Walt and his great story telling, innovations, and his ability to get things done! Our tour guide actually knew Walt when she was a child, her father worked for Walt as an Imagineer, so she saw Walt almost every day at Disneyland. She has worked for WDW since 1977 and you could tell she loved her job. We had breakfast in the room from Garden grocer so when the tour ended we decided to head back to the GF for lunch. It had started to rain when we got on the monorail so we had good timing for the tour. We both had a kids meal at the Grill. I failed on pictures for this meal as well. I had the kids hot dog meal with the homemade chips, Andi had the chicken nugget meal with fries. We both like the place and it was nice how you order, get a number, pay, sit down and your meal is brought to you. The choices are much less here then a value QS but we enjoyed it.

Tony's for dinner. We have never tried and Andi loves pizza so we thought we would give it a try. It was super crowded in the check in area and we did wait about 15 minutes over our ADR time, no biggie really. Our waitress was very nice but so harried. She was running around and had very little time to spend at each of her tables. Sadly, we never got water refilled. We ordered the calamari to share with a lemon aioli and the pepperoni pizza. The calamari was okay, we have had better at MM and SRT. The pizza was actually very good, it was fresh and tasted good. Tony's is probably one and done for us but all and all not bad. The decor is so nice in the place. I really enjoyed this.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

8/25/16. The Wave for breakfast, Nine Dragons for dinner and Illuminations Dessert Party. We didn't hurry this morning and made our way over to the CR for our breakfast. We both did the buffet here and really liked it. The choices were really good and different than the other breakfast buffet's we have been to. The sweet potato pancakes and grits here were really good. I love how all the yogurt and fruit comes in individual servings for you. A made to order omelet is also available to you if you like, sadly we have smaller appetites so I always feel like the restaurant always comes out ahead when Andi and I dine. This buffet was cheaper than most other ones around Disney and one of the only ones which gave an AP discount. I also liked the fact that you could order coffee and juice, so you got two drinks. I would do this one again for sure. It was also quiet and a great setting for your meal.

Nine Dragons for dinner was our choice in Epcot this time. We have never eaten here, I always see mixed reviews on this place. We really liked our meal. We had the potstickers (of course Andi's favorite) and we shared the Honey-Sesame chicken. The food was really fresh and flavorful. Our waitress was nice and refilled my water yippee! The only negative was we were so close to another table.

Illuminations Dessert Party. This was put on by the travel agency we used for this trip. It was way cheaper than Disney's dessert party. We were seated close to the water in Italy. The dessert choices were small. There was a couple different cupcakes, s'more brownies, cookies, and unlimited Mickey bars. There was champagne for the adults and lemonade and water for all. Seeing the fireworks, from here was awesome. I really enjoyed them even though it was hot and sticky outside. We had a surprise after the show and we all got to go on Soarin after the park was closed, it was really nice. We sat in B1 so much better visual. The desserts were limited and fair but the ice cream yum! It was worth the 25.00 compared to 69.00. I really enjoyed it overall. I also had my first dis meet with kastoney, who is famous on here for her awesome DR. I am hoping she will write one for her trip. She was very nice and her husband and DD Casey were also sweet.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

8/26/16 LTT for lunch. We hit EMH at MK today and went for an early lunch at LTT. We shared the New England Pot Roast. We did not do an appetizer because I was looking forward to the ooey gooey toffee cake for dessert. The pot roast was so good we were so famished we realized we ate the whole thing before we took a picture. I did get a picture of the dessert. Andi was going to get another dole whip for her dessert so I ate the whole dessert myself. I was stuffed. I actually didn't eat anything else that day except for some cheese and crackers and strawberries in the room from the grocer. I will post some of Andi's snacks she had this day.

8/27/16 TH at AK for a late breakfast. We were going to do the Jungle book but I changed our ADR to just regular breakfast and passed on the night activities at AK, we decided to go back to MK this evening. Breakfast was okay at TH, however I didn't think it was as good as prior visits. The ham was really fatty and they did not have my favorite croissants. The eggs were really tasty and fresh. I think the Mickey waffles were the best here of all the breakfasts. We had to wait a long time to see all the characters. Goofy was awesome with Andi, he danced with her and spent a little more time with her so that was special. Our waiter was so harried here as well, he really stopped by once and we never saw him again until time to go. We were in a terrible spot as well, right in the traffic flow I thought. I think we will skip this next visit. This was our 4th breakfast here.

We had CHH for our supper this evening, this was very good. We both had kids meals, I had the shrimp with fries, Andi had the chicken nuggets and fries. The meals were really good, very fresh and my shrimp were very tasty. We had dessert at the Sleepy Hollow. We shared the funnel cake with strawberries and whipped cream. This was so good.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

8/28/16. This is our last full day, we were doing the HDDR for dinner. This was a first for us. We went to DHS for EMH, we had a good morning, I ate some breakfast in the room from the grocer. We had Mickey Pretzels for our mid morning snack, we headed back to GF to rest before our 4pm ADR. We took the ferry over to FW. We had some time to spare so we looked at the horses for awhile, that was really nice except it was so hot. We paid OOP so we did category 3. We had a table in the back of the main floor but we could see well enough so no problem. We loved the dinner show and the food. The only negative was our mashed potatoes were not very warm. The chicken was so good. The ribs were tasty image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg but messy! The beans were very good. The corn bread was my favorite. It was of course way to much food for us but we really liked it. I did not partake in adult beverage but the sangria looked good. We stuck with coke and Diet Coke. The waitress we had was very effecient and was checking back often so that was nice. I would recommend this for anyone on the fence about this. It is really good. There was a couple celebrating their grooms dinner there. They were getting married the next day so that was nice.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg 8/29/16 PPO BOG at 0800. This was our last day, we had to catch ME at 11:30 so we just had a few hours in MK. We got in at 07:45 so we got a few pictures then headed to BOG. We had preordered our food so we got right in. We sat in the ballroom by the Windows where it is snowing so pretty. We shared the open faced bacon and egg sandwich and got the master's cupcake to share. The pastries were fresh and tasty, the breakfast sandwich was okay but not my favorite. I didn't like the taste of the cheese and the arugula together, a little bitter for me. It also was only lukewarm when it arrived. The cupcake was awesome, very moist and flavorful. This is an expensive breakfast so sharing worked well for us. We were able to be one of the first people on the 7DMT and PP. Andi got a LeFou's brew before we met talking Mickey then we departed to the GF, checked out and headed to ME and then the airport. We had a great timeimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg , our food and wait staff for almost all places was really good. We had a great trip.

Sorry about the double pictures in last post. I am not good at editing these things. Hats off to all of you who do such an awesome job with your report, mine is a novice at work for sure!

So many great reviews! What an awesome mother/daughter trip! I am so glad you shared you experiences with us! :) Mmmm, Yak and Yeti is always so good..... I love CHH as well and Gasparilla Grill. HDDR looks amazing as well as the Wave, those are both must dos for us on our next trip. How fun that you met Kari! I met her that morning at MK but sadly had to return to reality that evening so missed the travel agency party. Thanks again for sharing all your fun!

So many great reviews! What an awesome mother/daughter trip! I am so glad you shared you experiences with us! :) Mmmm, Yak and Yeti is always so good..... I love CHH as well and Gasparilla Grill. HDDR looks amazing as well as the Wave, those are both must dos for us on our next trip. How fun that you met Kari! I met her that morning at MK but sadly had to return to reality that evening so missed the travel agency party. Thanks again for sharing all your fun!
Thanks for commenting, it was nice to meet Kari and her family, forgot to get a picture though. Hope you had a nice trip!

Awesome reviews! I had planned to finally try the HDDR in October but ended up cancelling it to go to Club Villain instead. I can't really find another night to fit it in. One day.

We are trying BoG for breakfast and I am determined not to cancel this time. Good to know we can share if that is what we decide.

Thanks for sharing your meals with us!

Thanks for commenting, it was nice to meet Kari and her family, forgot to get a picture though. Hope you had a nice trip!
I had an amazing trip, thank you! I also have a dining report on the go "Celebrating 50 Disney Style" if you'd like to pop by! :)

Great report, thanks. I have teens who are plain eaters so I know a lot of pre-thinking goes into choosing where to eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter