Diet? What Diet? 8 nights on the DxDP with pics!...Complete! Narcoosee's, 8/7

Today was supposed to be our first time at 50's Prime Time Cafe and I was really looking forward to that fried chicken, but we just didn't have the energy. I took the monorail back to the GF and met DF for lunch. We didn't have an ADR but they seated us within a few minutes.

I think this restaurant is so pretty. I love how bright and airy it is. I've eaten dinner here before and remember it being pretty good. My old company used to have a softball tournament at Wide World of Sports so I joined the team to get a free trip! And I HATE softball, I'm just not athletic or very coordinated, that just shows you how much I love Disney! :lmao:

I had to have the French Onion soup after hearing all the raves about it on the GF resorts board. And it was really really good. I'm normally not a huge fan of French Onion soup but this was very tasty. DF tried it and said that it was better than Chefs de France, but not as good as Cassis back home.
IMG_0471.jpg

DF had the Caesar salad, he loves this type of salad. He said this one was very good and at it all in like two minutes! I didn't even get a taste!
IMG_0472.jpg

For our main courses we both had the burger with american cheese and fries. This burger was sooo good! Probably the best burger we had all week. I actually ate the whole thing (usually I eat half). The fries were good too but I wish I had more, I hate when they're stingy with the fries! :upsidedow
IMG_0473.jpg

For dessert I had the mini tiramisu. I'm also not normally a huge tiramisu fan but I really enjoyed this, it was nice and creamy and didn't have too much coffee flavor. I also liked that the dessert was small and not overwhelming. Although when I got back, I read a dining report where they got TWO mini desserts each and now I feel jipped! :eek:
IMG_0474.jpg

DF shattered my dreams of getting the sampler platter and decided that he wanted sorbet. It was mango and he loved it!
IMG_0475.jpg

We had a good meal here, it was nice to be able to get some good food on short notice and at our hotel. I don't know that I would go out of my way to come for lunch, but it is a good option if you'll be at the GF. :thumbsup2

ohhh that french onion soup does look good! i've only eaten at GFC for breakfast and never got a chance to go again later in the day. :) i'll have to add it to the list!

When we stayed at GF we enjoyed a couple of meals at the Grand Floridian Cafe but if we don't stay there we really haven't been back...too many restaurants to try. We went a couple of time there b/c of convience but enjoyed the food. I love French Onion soup but I didn't get it at Chef de France b/c too many other app for me to try. Enjoying your reviews.

ohhh that french onion soup does look good! i've only eaten at GFC for breakfast and never got a chance to go again later in the day. :) i'll have to add it to the list!

The soup was really good. There's a woman on these boards that orders it from room service everyday when she stays at the Grand! So that's why I knew I had to try it. I haven't gone for breakfast yet but we're thinking of maybe having a post-wedding brunch there, we'll see how much $ we have leftover! :rotfl2:

When we stayed at GF we enjoyed a couple of meals at the Grand Floridian Cafe but if we don't stay there we really haven't been back...too many restaurants to try. We went a couple of time there b/c of convience but enjoyed the food. I love French Onion soup but I didn't get it at Chef de France b/c too many other app for me to try. Enjoying your reviews.

I think it's perfect for when you're staying there, or if you're staying at the Poly or Contemporary, but there are so many places at Disney, I wouldn't make a special trip. Oooh at Chefs I love the flatbread! Yum!

One thing that I really wanted to do was have high tea in the Tea Room. At first we thought we wouldn't have the time and being on the DxDP probably wasn't really necessary, but since we decided to make our last day a resort day, we had time to do it after all! DF was nice enough to agree to go with me, that's how I know he's a keeper! :lovestruc

The room is really pretty, it overlooks the lobby and has windows overlooking the resort, it is so bright and pretty in there. DF was one of two men in the place, another was a father with his young daughter. I thought that was too cute! We had one of the later seatings, so it was not crowded at all.

We both decided to have:

Buckingham Palace - Our traditional tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts complemented by fresh strawberries and cream, or a selection of freshly baked pastries, along with your choice of tea.

and a side of Sally Lunn bread. Sally Lunn bread dates back to the 18th century where it was baked fresh, then sold on the streets of Bath England by the creator. Here at the Grand Floridian, we have carried on this tradition of this sweet yeast bread served lightly toasted with apricot preserves.

For our teas I had the Mad Hatter Blend. Mad Hatter - A blend of passion fruit, pomegranate, and vanilla for a clean and sweet finish. Perfect with decadent desserts and companions.

DF had the Oolong and a Bud Light. Our server said that it was a very unusual combination and she didn't think anyone had ever ordered that before! :rotfl2: DF was just happy because they had beer there!

Here's how they set it up, I love the design of the teacups!
IMG_0506.jpg

Then she brought the Sally Lunn bread. This was not quite what I expected. I had expected it to be more of a sweet bread like Banana bread or have a texture like pound cake. It was kind of like Challah bread with an apricot spread. It was very good, but we probably wouldn't get it next time.
IMG_0512.jpg

Then came the sandwiches. The sandwiches are a variety of the following: cucumber with watercress, shrimp salad with dill, chicken salad with almonds, grilled pear with gorgonzola, and egg salad. We don't eat seafood so we asked to not have the shrimp salad. She gave us egg salad instead.
IMG_0511.jpg

DF's favorites were the chicken salad and the pear and gorgonzola. I let him have both chicken salads. I thought they were all really good, and that onion tart was out of this world! Luckily DF let me have the whole thing! :goodvibes

Then came the scones with jam tarts and devonshire cream. This was our favorite part. The scones were great, DF and I both loved them! The jam tart was really good too, we used some of the jam for the scones and then ate the tart. The Devonshire cream was delicious too, although I could have used A LOT more of it! :rotfl2:
IMG_0513.jpg

Last were the pastries, our server brought over a tray and we got to choose. I have a fruit tart and a raspberry cake. They were both really delicious, I think I liked the tart a little more.
IMG_0514.jpg

DF got a chocolate covered strawberry and a raspberry swan. DF thought the swan was tasty and he gave me the strawberry. The strawberry was fantastic!
IMG_0515.jpg

We had a great time at our tea party. Even DF enjoyed it and said he would go back, but he did say he would only go to Tea parties at Disney! :laughing:

For our wedding, I plan to have a bridesmaid tea party, I'm so excited and think it will be so fun!

If you have the time, this is a great way to spend the afternoon! :goodvibes

The tea party looks like so much fun. I really want to do this with my mom and daughters. It just looks like so much fun.

Loving the reviews. :goodvibes

I booked this for me and my DD(6) who loves having tea parties. It looks delicious and lovely. Thanks for the review :thumbsup2

Tea party looks amazing. We are going to try it in October when we are not on the dining plan.

Tea and Budlight! A new high noon tradition!:lmao:

Lol, yes it is one of the lesser known high tea traditions :lmao:

Great reviews, thanks so much for taking the time to post :)

Aw, you're very welcome, it has been really fun writing the reviews.

I wish I liked tea, because everything else looks fantastic! What a cute idea.

You don't have to get tea, and you can even get "special" tea or chocolate milk. :laughing:

Tea party looks amazing. We are going to try it in October when we are not on the dining plan.

It was really fun, but it's best to do it instead of a meal, because it's very filling.

I booked this for me and my DD(6) who loves having tea parties. It looks delicious and lovely. Thanks for the review :thumbsup2

Aww, I think you guys will have so much fun! :cutie:

The tea looks fabulous! We're starting off our trip with it and I hope my mom will like it :)

I'm sure she will love it, it's so relaxing and nice, and you have the wonderful atmosphere of the Grand. :lovestruc

The tea party looks like so much fun. I really want to do this with my mom and daughters. It just looks like so much fun.

Loving the reviews. :goodvibes

Thanks! You should definitely do it, I think it would be a great girl bonding experience.

GF High Tea is one of my favorite thing to do in Disney. I'm glad you were able to share that with us.

I was so glad we could do it! I was trying so hard to find a way to fit it in. It was such a good time, I can't wait to do it with my Bridesmaids before the wedding.

This was our last meal in Disney World, our flight was fairly early the next morning, so there was not time for even one last Mickey Waffle. :sad1:

It was so great staying at the GF, we had a late reservation, 9:30, so we just walked over. I loved being able to do that, no buses, no monorail, no worries. :thumbsup2

I later found out we could have ordered room service from Narcoosee's, you pay a 20% service charge but that is covered by the DxDP, so you're getting an even better value!

It was really crowded this night and we had to wait a while for a table. When we were seated I had a nice view of the window. DF didn't care about being able to see outside.

Our server tried a little too hard to be cool and friendly and the result was a little awkward. He kept saying "my folks", I guess meaning his tables, but it was kinda weird.

I really like the bread here, it's a nice sourdough served with butter with Hawaiian Sea salt on it.

I got Crispy Duck Roll - spiced apple chutney and soy-chili glaze. Sorry for the half eaten pictures, the fireworks had just started and they dimmed the lights so it would have been really obvious I was taking pictures. This was really really good. I was surprised how much I liked it. The outside was nice and crispy and I liked the filling. It was definitely a nice change of pace.
IMG_0531.jpg

You know, I can't for the life of me remember what DF got, and I don't have a picture because of the fireworks thing. I'm assuming it was some type of salad and he liked it well enough.

When the fireworks started they dimmed the lights and played the music. We had a good view and there were not many people out on the deck to block the view. DF was a little over Wishes at this point, it was the fourth time in a row that we were watching it. :laughing: Here's a pic for you.
IMG_0526.jpg

BTW, we saw it so often that I think DF knows all the worlds and he does an impression of it now and again. It's really funny. :laughing:

For our entree's I got a Moroccan Lamb which was served with rice, veggies and a cucumber sauce. I did not like this at all. There was a lot of seasoning and I didn't like it. I didn't like the yogurt sauce either. I guess I imagined this tasting more like a Greek lamb dish with tzatziki sauce, but it didn't. I barely ate it. Luckily my appetizer was so good! I guess that teaches me not to be too adventurous.
IMG_0532.jpg

DF got what I should have gotten, filet mignon with potato gratin and a peppercorn sauce. I had this last year and really enjoyed it. He loved it and shared some of his potatoes with me.
IMG_0533.jpg

For dessert I had to have the Almond-crusted Cheesecake - with lambert cherry sauce since I had heard so many rave reviews of this. But I have to say I didn't like this either! :eek: The cheesecake part was not so great and it was covered in plain almond slices. I imagined some sort of sweet almond coating, sorta like if you mixed frosted flakes and almonds :rolleyes:, but sadly that's not what it was. It was just a lot of plain slivered almonds. :sad2: Also, don't try to eat that balloon, you're chip a tooth!
IMG_0534.jpg

DF got the mango sorbet (again!). He loved it.
IMG_0535.jpg

Even though it wasn't the greatest meal, we would go back to Narcoosee's. If I'm staying at the GF I would probably do the room service thing and get the steak. I do really like the atmosphere of the restaurant itself, I just shouldn't have gone too crazy with my menu choices, I like simple things. :)

We loved the DxDP and would definitely do it again. I know it's a lot of food but I loved that I could try things and if I didn't like it, it was no big deal since we would be eating again soon anyway. :cutie: We love the signature restaurants, so it was great to get to go to one each night.

Here's our Signature Ranking:
1) Jiko
2) The Yachtsman
3) California Grill
4) Citricos
5) Hollywood Brown Derby
6) Narcoosee's / Artist Point

We also saved a ton of money doing the DxDP, I never really calculated it like I had wanted to, but probably around $500 at least.

Thanks everyone for following along! I hope I've inspired you to try some new restaurants! :goodvibes

Thanks for a great update...when we stayed at GF last time we ate at Narcoossee's 2x and our last night I wanted to eat there again and get the Maine lobster but my son was 2 at that time so he was so tired for a 2 hour sit down so my husband got room service from Narcoossee's...it was great meal...we ate in our pj's and watch the fireworks from our balcony while eating my crab cakes and Maine Lobster...I really don't remember what my husband got b/c I was too happy with my meal. Great memories from GF. Just wanted to let you know...since you enjoyed GF tea time...my son was napping and my husband got private dinning to set up GF tea for me at our balcony...one of the things I love staying at the GF resort. Thank again for sharing your food review with us...I have enjoyed it and brought alot of found memories for me.

I later found out we could have ordered room service from Narcoosee's, you pay a 20% service charge but that is covered by the DxDP, so you're getting an even better value!

That is good to know!:worship:

We loved the DxDP and would definitely do it again. I know it's a lot of food but I loved that I could try things and if I didn't like it, it was no big deal since we would be eating again soon anyway. :cutie: We love the signature restaurants, so it was great to get to go to one each night.

Here's our Signature Ranking:
1) Jiko
2) The Yachtsman
3) California Grill
4) Citricos
5) Hollywood Brown Derby
6) Narcoosee's / Artist Point

We also saved a ton of money doing the DxDP, I never really calculated it like I had wanted to, but probably around $500 at least.

Thanks everyone for following along! I hope I've inspired you to try some new restaurants! :goodvibes

Thanks for the DxDP reviews. I'm doing it for the first time this trip- so your reviews are almost like a field guide of sorts.:surfweb: Sorry Narcoosees was a bit of a bummer though.

Thanks, I really enjoyed your reviews. :goodvibes

I have been debating whether or not to go to the GF tea again this year. I've been there before and have really enjoyed it but was thinking of trying something different this year. But looking at your reviews makes me want to go back again. Decisions, decisions.... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter