Didn't take long for WDW to gouge, I mean, increase the resort parking fees

For those of you thinking that Disney is raising prices to alleviate overcrowding at the parks, ask yourself, why Disney is building more resort rooms (Star Wars Hotel, Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge, Riviera resort)? If there was an actual overcrowding problem they would have to have more phased closures due to capacity constraints. Nope, not too crowded. Higher crowds mean more profit$ for Disney. These price increases are not to facilitate fewer people in the parks. That would work against Disney's interest.

Bob Iger has a perception problem on his hands when people complain about overcrowding at the parks. He has chosen to address these complaints by using them as a justification for price hikes. It's a complete misdirection because the functional way to correct overcrowding is to limit the number of people in the parks or increase facilities to handle the crowds. Most importantly is Disney's need to address the price gouging concerns, so they misdirect with the argument "Higher prices mean lower crowds" , hoping that you won't notice that that has not and will not work.

Wouldn't it be better if Disney chose to build and strengthen the brand by increasing the attractions and acreage at the parks instead of replacing existing attractions? Disney is far more invested in adding capacity at it's resorts than increasing capacity at its theme parks. That right there refutes the allegation that Disney is concerned about overcrowding at the parks. Watch what they are doing, don't listen to what they say.

As far as having to raise prices to "pay for all the construction" Disney has more than enough money to pay for all the construction and spend $71.3 billion to acquire 21st Century Fox. https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/DIS/disney/gross-profit

This is about price gouging pure and simple. Every time Disney executives need to hit their performance bonus clauses they jack up the cost of everything concerning a Disney vacation (Tickets, food, rooms etc). The mentality that has been expressed by leadership is 'we'll do it because we can'.... Charge more, offer less is the new Disney culture.

As far as boycotting Disney, that would punish the workers, who would be laid off or have their hours greatly reduced, so the answer doesn't lie there, especially since Disney doesn't care enough to pay their CM's a living wage. The CM's working at Disney are not a real concern to management. The profits are the only concern.

Company leadership is destroying the reputation and future of the Disney brand in the pursuit of mining it for profits and executive bonuses at any cost. Long time fans see and understand this. Disney is counting on the once in a lifetime visitors to not know better and to over pay for a Disney vacation experience.

To those of you who believe no one is entitled to a Disney vacation... you may be missing the point that those of us who love what the company once was do not wish to see the Disney vacation experience be cheapened into an all out cash grab. This is what is happening under current management.

The biggest shame is that Disney does not pay the majority of their Cast Members a living wage. Poorly paid Disney Employees sometime must rely on government assistance programs to make up the wage gap deficit experienced by working at Disney. So you have a company that is making huge profits, benefiting from a form of corporate welfare, whereby the government must subsidize it's workers.

It's sad for fans who love the company to witness what Disney is becoming. You may disagree with that sentiment but it doesn't account that more and more of us are seeing it very clearly.

~NM

Last edited:
For those of you thinking that Disney is raising prices to alleviate overcrowding at the parks, ask yourself, why Disney is building more resort rooms (Star Wars Hotel, Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge, Riviera resort)? If there was an actual overcrowding problem they would have to have more phased closures due to capacity constraints. Nope, not too crowded. Higher crowds mean more profit$ for Disney. These price increases are not to facilitate fewer people in the parks. That would work against Disney's interest.

Bob Iger has a perception problem on his hands when people complain about overcrowding at the parks. He has chosen to address these complaints by using them as a justification for price hikes. It's a complete misdirection because the functional way to correct overcrowding is to limit the number of people in the parks or increase facilities to handle the crowds. Most importantly is Disney's need to address the price gouging concerns, so they misdirect with the argument "Higher prices mean lower crowds" , hoping that you won't notice that that has not and will not work.

Wouldn't it be better if Disney chose to build and strengthen the brand by increasing the attractions and acreage at the parks instead of replacing existing attractions? Disney is far more invested in adding capacity at it's resorts than increasing capacity at its theme parks. That right there refutes the allegation that Disney is concerned about overcrowding at the parks. Watch what they are doing, don't listen to what they say.

As far as having to raise prices to "pay for all the construction" Disney has more than enough money to pay for all the construction and spend $71.3 billion to acquire 21st Century Fox. https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/DIS/disney/gross-profit

This is about price gouging pure and simple. Every time Disney executives need to hit their performance bonus clauses they jack up the cost of everything concerning a Disney vacation (Tickets, food, rooms etc). The mentality that has been expressed by leadership is 'we'll do it because we can'.... Charge more, offer less is the new Disney culture.

As far as boycotting Disney, that would punish the workers, who would be laid off or have their hours greatly reduced, so the answer doesn't lie there, especially since Disney doesn't care enough to pay their CM's a living wage. The CM's working at Disney are not a real concern to management. The profits are the only concern.

Company leadership is destroying the reputation and future of the Disney brand in the pursuit of mining it for profits and executive bonuses at any cost. Long time fans see and understand this. Disney is counting on the once in a lifetime visitors to not know better and to over pay for a Disney vacation experience.

To those of you who believe no one is entitled to a Disney vacation... you may be missing the point that those of us who love what the company once was do not wish to see the Disney vacation experience be cheapened into an all out cash grab. This is what is happening under current management.

The biggest shame is that Disney does not pay the majority of their Cast Members a living wage. Poorly paid Disney Employees sometime must rely on government assistance programs to make up the wage gap deficit experienced by working at Disney. So you have a company that is making huge profits, benefiting from a form of corporate welfare, whereby the government must subsidize it's workers.

It's sad for fans who love the company to witness what Disney is becoming. You may disagree with that sentiment but it doesn't account that more and more of us are seeing it very clearly.

~NM

The sharp increase in pricing of practically everything by 20% or so does two things: one, begins to price out a small percentage leading to slightly thinner crowds, making CMs more efficient and allowing for better guest satisfaction. Two, covers the $ lost from the small thinning of the crowds plus allows for future growth by ensuring those who are still coming see the value in what they are paying for.

I don’t see why people are still proclaiming Disney is a for profit company like it is some sort of surprise or something new.

Can't say I think the $1 increase is anything to get worried about....but in terms of price increases, their rises are starting to make me think how much is too much.

We went in 2018, booked summer of '17.
- 7 nts - POR - Garden view when booked (later upgraded to Princess room for virtually same price as the Garden package)
- 6 day tickets for family of 4, 2 adults, 2 children - base tickets, no hopper
- Memory Maker

Priced the same exact package last night for a 2020 trip....19% increase!

I get taking increases, but 19% over a 2 year booking period, man, that is hitting it hard. But....if people keep showing up and paying the price, I guess they have no incentive to not get it.

The same holds true for Disney cruises. We had taken 3 of them when the cost were reasonable. Now they are insane but they continue to sell out their cruises.

Haven't been on a DCL cruise in about 10 years unfortunately.

NGTOD

Just wondering out loud...did you pay "rack" rate for that 2018 trip, do you remember? The trip you are pricing now is without a discount so that could be a factor. I've never not been able to book with a discount of some sort so I'm a little curious. Which leads me to speculate that if the prices are indeed about a 20% increase overall in 2 years if that means that we will still see discounted rooms now and then even when SWGE opens?
Sorry for the late reply. The price I compared was apples to apples. So it was prior to landing a discount 5 months after we booked. We ended up upgrading from a Garden room to a Princess Room for almost the identical price when we received our discount.

If the discounts are the same this year, then you would still be around the 20% increase....if they limit the discounts, then in reality, the prices will be up well more than the 20% range.

This is just the latest in a long line of increases within the year. It's the % that WDW raises that bothers me, lets not forget the snack food increases not to long ago and also they just raised the prices on their re-usable shopping bags as well. Plus the fact that they cut staff, park hours etc.
Shopping bags:
Sm $1 > $2 100%
M $1.50 > $2.50 67%
L $2 > $3 50%

View attachment 410349

But, since it's only a couple of bucks here or there, I guess it's okay.
Man....those couple bucks here and there multiplied over multiple days for a family add up.

We just booked for 2020, but I am looking at it as the last one for a few years. I don't see the price increases slowing down as they head into 2021 for 50 years.

If you look at the big picture, not that Disney is gouging, what they’re trying to do is cut down the use of personal and rented cars to minimize the ever growing traffic on the property. They want people using Magical Express and the on-site transportation system. The parking charge is basically Disney’s way of telling you they don’t want you driving on property. It’s most likely the reason too that Magical Express is still free.

We drive in our own car because the cost/benefit of flying 4 people (vs driving 12 hours) just isn’t there. Typically we leave it parked the whole time we are there and use Disney transportation. I really hate the parking fees.

Twenty five dollars a day X10 for us is a charge. Is it to much to ask when you are giving Disney 20K+ for a break? In our case I am going to game the system. I have a sister who just retired and her and her husband bought a house near Disney. She is going to drive us from her house to the hotel. No car staying at Disney. This is the last 10 day trip. From now on Universal gets 3 days. Iger is just greedy watch any time now he will announce a new raise for himself. The 1st major recession we get is going to hammer them hard.

It's always so bizarre to me when people defend Disney against the "entitled" complainers.

Disney is a multi-billion dollar corporation, they do not need anyone to defend them against people who just want to vent.
I agree! Ive been lucky to have the means to go on many wdw trips, with add on experiences.My last trip was in 2016 and I could see nickle & diming in action. Disney has made TONS of mistakes and Iger answers to shareholders (and is most likely going to be exposed by Ronan Farrow for conduct)...they are basically a monopoly with the purchase of Fox...but yet there are ALWAYS defenders of this massive corporation! Hey, I DO have a trip in November planned, but calling out Disney on blatant money grabs does not make one less a fan. I think ALL resorts that charge for parking stink. They DO oversell mvmcp and mnsshp! The increase in tix/AP IS nuts.But Wall Street wants their dividends! Disney is betting on having a continual stream of young families who want to take their kids, and upsetting veteran brand lovers like us is,well,the cost of making dividends!!!

The parking fees are ridiculous. I know all the hotels do this but they went for so long without charging fees for parking. I like to have my own car when we go to Disney. I don't love the bus system. We just bought DVC at Riviera so i'm excited for the gondola's but i still like to have my own car. Thankfully with the membership I won't pay those fees but it's not fair to the other families that pay a lot of money to stay at a Disney Resort. It figures the AP went up just when i was going to begin purchasing it. Hoping to make it down 2 times a year now that we have DVC. This year we have a cash vacation booked for August, i'm planning on upgrading those passes to annual passes, anybody have experience with doing that?

WDW has lost its value plus 18+ years of good will on my part. We stuck with them through 911 downturn, recession, ect... I still love the Disney but it is just not worth the expense. Regretfully, it is losing its status as a family place. The prices, additional fees, the pretty expensive up-sells, the short tempered increasingly rude crowds, complicated pre-planning, difficulty in unplugging from a phone to be in the bubble, and the parks going to the dogs, I am done. Cruises may still be on the table right now if they don't lose their value by over pricing them by the time the new ships are launched. I am no longer willing to spend $$$$$$$$$ to go to Disney anymore.

every member is allowed to post anything that doesn't violate forum guidelines.

Well to take a side bar to this, is there no rules against name calling in this forum? Personally I view the "entitled" label to not actually be about entitlement but someone wanting to call someone a "crybaby" or be passive aggressive to defend something.

There is no entitlement in generally wanting cheaper prices for Disney or at least slower increasing prices. On the flip side Disney will keep pushing the price increases until crowds reduce to a point that it makes them stop.

I will say calling someone entitled does set me off slightly. Happens a bunch in online forums and typically I have found comes from ultra-fans of the product making changes (price, policy, offering, ect).

Star Wars Hotel, Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge, Riviera resort

Except one of those is a very short term experience hotel not for actually housing people and likely for guests who won't go to the parks during their stay.

The others are DVC resorts which are completely separate from the Parks/Hotel cycle. It's a different group deciding those expansions if I am not mistaken.

~NM
100%!!! Iger, gwaaaa...I do,however, love the disdain in Mark Hammil's face posing with Iger at the opening of SWGE. I also loved when Kelly Ripa blasted him over the Michael Strahan debacle...truth to power!

WDW has lost its value plus 18+ years of good will on my part. We stuck with them through 911 downturn, recession, ect... I still love the Disney but it is just not worth the expense. Regretfully, it is losing its status as a family place. The prices, additional fees, the pretty expensive up-sells, the short tempered increasingly rude crowds, complicated pre-planning, difficulty in unplugging from a phone to be in the bubble, and the parks going to the dogs, I am done. Cruises may still be on the table right now if they don't lose their value by over pricing them by the time the new ships are launched. I am no longer willing to spend $$$$$$$$$ to go to Disney anymore.

In my book Disney has overpriced their cruises for the last few years already. When you can book 2 cruises on another main stream cruise line for the price of one Disney cruise I'd say that's over priced.

Been on 3 DCL cruises but that was when they only had 2 ships. I always thought that when they built the next 2 ships the prices would go down a little since they had more berths to fill. Boy was I wrong.

Disney is worth a little more for their cruises because of Mickey but not the amounts they charge now.

At least not to me.

NGTOD

If you look at the big picture, not that Disney is gouging, what they’re trying to do is cut down the use of personal and rented cars to minimize the ever growing traffic on the property. They want people using Magical Express and the on-site transportation system. The parking charge is basically Disney’s way of telling you they don’t want you driving on property. It’s most likely the reason too that Magical Express is still free.
However many guests drive to Disney and then use Disney Transportation - not using their cars for their entire stay. Based on your theory of Disney trying to cut down on the amount of cars being driven on property, Disney should charge on site guests for parking at the Parks not their resort.

Just remember the reason Disney is giving for resort parking fees is to be in line with the standard. Anyone else remember when so much was "included" because Disney was above the standard, or was the "standard". It's all about profits! I believe Walt is extremely disappointed in what has happened to his vision.

Just remember the reason Disney is giving for resort parking fees is to be in line with the standard. Anyone else remember when so much was "included" because Disney was above the standard, or was the "standard". It's all about profits! I believe Walt is extremely disappointed in what has happened to his vision.

I said the same thing in post #25 but jbehr12 seems to think Walt opened Disney to get rich. Of course they have to make money to stay in business but its getting absurd.

Getting rich wasn't Walt's vision. His vision was to build a "playground" where parents didn't watch their kids play, but have families play together. Making a profit is fine, but remember "it all started with a mouse". His words that I remember most. "If you can dream it, you can do it". I wonder how many families are there that "are dreaming" of a vacation t o the world, but no longer "can do it". There is no reason for executives to earn so much in bonuses! These prices have risen so drastically, and quickly. Another thin g, even after the increases, it's followed with a reminder "prices are subject to change at any time". Don't believe I've ever seen a decrease in the prices!!!!

So they raised the prices before they even figured out how to keep track of the people parking. I still see reports of people with cars not getting charged, and others who don’t have cars getting charged. Shouldn’t they fix that before raising the price.

I couldn't agree with you more. I had two $90 charges on my bill. One for each room I booked, only we never parked a car overnight. A car service dropped us all off in a van.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter