• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did our family see a different Frozen than everyone else?

I really liked the movie. (Preordered the DVD) I think that the words and emotions of the songs in the movie were integral in the character developement and plot advancement.

1. Using the chant/nordic yodeling song "Vuelie" to open the film over the traditional images if Ciderella's castle, etc., really set the mood for a Nordic story and hinted that this was not going to follow the typical Disney profile. And reprising it at the great thaw at the end ties the beginning of the film to the end and you feel you have come full circle and are near the end.

2. The "Frozen Heart" song introduced little Kristof and little Sven and forshadowed that they would have a hard life but were friends who count on each other and shared everything, but would be loners (the ice men didn't seem to acknowledge the pairs existance, much less try to help or teach them how to harvest the ice, and then road off and left them on the frozen lake). The two share a carrot, which they do at least 2 more times in the movie. And it is Kristof that gives Sven the first bite of the carrot each time, instead of biting off a piece and offering the leftover to Sven.

3. Then we jump to the palace were little Elsa and Anna share a room, but Anna (the younger and more playful sister) is awake and sees the northern lights and teases Elsa into getting up with the line "Do you wanna build a snowman?" i.e. Do you want to use your powers? After the accident, the visit to the trolls reveals that Fear will be Elsa's enemy, but the fear of what? (I feel that writers made the trolls perposefully vague on that point, but never developed this point further.) This is where the next song "Do you want to build a snowman?" (unkowingly reminding Elsa of why she is shutting everyone out) is used to show the passage of time and the diverging personalities of the 2 sisters. Lots more could be said here about this, but not now.

4. Then the coronation day. Kristof shares a carrot with Sven and shows that he speaks for him like a ventriloquist. His sleigh has wheels at this time, assuming that they are standing in from if his sleigh. (Summer Day) The song is "For the first time in forever" that to me, shows Anna as nieve and seeing only what she wants to see. Her mirroring the poses of the paintings is all of romantic poses where she is the center of attention. She shows that she is expecting a typical Disney princess experience, and leads the audience in that direction. Elsa's part in the songs shows she fears not being able to surpress/control her powers (she still views it a nothing but a curse). Hence she falls into the fearful-of-fear-itself trap hinted at by the trolls (but never developed in the story. Honestly, I kept waiting for a reveal about this up to the very end of the movie.)

5. Next song is "Love is a open door" which is Anna singing and Hans agreeing. Lots could be said here, too about hints to Hans' true character and Anna's nievity and wishfull thinking, and confusing infatuation/desire with true love. Later it is revealed that Hans is hatching a "game of thrones" plot probably during this song.

6. Next song is Kristof's "Reindeer are better than people" with Kristof again speaking in a different voice for Sven. To me the words to this song show Kristof to be a loner, distrustful of others but knows that others aren't all bad, and that he is far from perfect himself. To me there is a lot of character development in this short song and in the scenes imidiately before and after. Also, when Anna gives him the carrots in the barn, he again gives Sven the first bite.

7. I may have this one and #6 in reverse order but next is "Let it go". To me this really reveals alot of the charatcter of Elsa in that she has tried to obey her parents in suppressing all feelings so that her powers would stay hidden, but now that she has failed, letting her powers out is very emotionally cathartic, particullary now that she is alone with no fear of harming anyone. She now voluteers to shut herself away from others, but without the emotional self supression that she did in the castle. With the fear of harming others removed from her mind, she thinks she has complete controle of her powers.

Sidebar: Notice the way Anna and Kristof look at each other and the emotion in their faces and how it changes over time. To me this is a brilliant work of animation because you can almost feel them moving from just-met strangers to friends, to caring for eachother. At the end of "Fixer Upper" when Grandpapie troll says only an act of true love can thaw a frozen heart, it is another troll that suggests "a true love's kiss, perhaps?", not Anna or Kristof. and when the troll does say that, it is Kristof that says "Anna, we have to get you back to Hans." To me, this is a key moment in the movie, because i think I see the animators putting into kristof's face and voice a reluctance to let Anna go but to what may be her only chance if Hans is her true love. (Like the movie "Enchanted".) Anna responds by only saying Hans' name, but with a very emotionless voice. She doen't even say "Yes, get me to Hans." and the look on Kristof's face when he hands over Anna and they close the gates in his face. This triggers Kristof's epiphany moment and the animaters depicted it very well without over playing the moment. Anna's epiphany moment is triggered by 2 events, one by Hans' rejection and revelation of his deception, and the other by Olaf's use of Kristof's actions to illistrate true love. Anna shows she has learned this lesson when, after saving Elsa, freezing and then unfreezing, Elsa says "... you sacrifised yourself for me?" and Anna responds "I love you." It is the tone and inflection in her voice that is key, to me.

I don't see any of this as female empowerment or not needing a man or sisterly love over finding a man. I see it as a depiction of the difference between infatuation/desire and true love.

Anyway. getting kinda wordy here and straying off topic. Time to close and see what you all think and I will finish this later.

:thumbsup2Great observations, thanks for the detailed review!

I'll start with the disclaimer I have not seen the movie yet. When it comes to the local discount theater we plan on making it the first movie we attempt to take DS to. But the soundtrack plays on my Disney station on my Pandora account and I'm surprised everyone goes ga ga over it. I get that I'm missing context but I still don't think they're very memorable. Still not to the caliber of something like "I See The Light"

It is hard to tell. When you are invested in the emotions of the story it helps you invest your heart in a song. However, I fell in love with "Let it Go" by Demi Lovato before I ever saw the movie. Fantastic song all by itself. And I can't get "Do you want to build a snowman?" out of my head either.

I go listen to all the covers and parodies on YouTube.

Are they all fantastic? No, but no musical has all great songs.

I know I'm new here, but I have to agree with the OP -Frozen feels like a hot mess.

For me, the story is meh at best. I've read the original Snow Queen by HCA, and it is a very difficult story to adapt which is why I was surprised Disney would pick it. Still, there are some wonderful elements that Disney could have used, like the little girl (Gerda) saving her best friend (a boy, Kai), the little robber girl who helps Gerda, the trolls and the mirror shard, and the Snow Queen herself.

The music was very inconsistent - going from wonderful nordic chants that gave me chills to the crazy snowman number that was completely out of place. Sven was a re-do of Max the horse, and Kristoff had no character background. I mean, he appears as a cute little boy in the beginning sequence to completely disappear till the middle when we learn he was abducted by trolls. Huh? Really? And did we even need the troll #? The song was cute, but the same idea could have been expressed in another way that made more sense (like in the "At Last I See the Light" from Tangled).

Elsa, as pretty as she is, is given no character development or even real humanity. Plus the show stopping song, "Let it Go" feels like "Defying Gravity". Of course, it doesn't help that Idina Menzel sings it. It almost feels like the animators directly copied her Wicked performance. You can even see mash-ups of it on YouTube, and I feel like it's the song that every teenager will be using in their Glee auditions from now on. Too pop-y for me.

The whole parents here-then-dead also bugged me. I know that Disney doesn't like parents (Bambi!), but still. And the Hans development was also below par for Disney. I get that they wanted to make him a villain. That's OK. But there were TOO many "villains" for my taste. They wanted that sucker punch, I get it, but it would have been better to pick one thing. Like, Hans should have sent the other suitors packing so that he would be the only option for Elsa/Anna. That's what an Alpha male does! :) Thus, he would have been the "good guy" by getting rid of all the evil suitors and then evil turn would have more impact.

I found the whole movie to feel like a pitch for a Broadway show rather than an actual fully fleshed movie. The lyrics to the songs were horrid and forgettable at best ("Nervous or gassy" - ick. Really Disney?), inconsistent, and anachronistic (Olaf's especially). I really don't blame Glen Keane for leaving if this is the caliber of Disney movies to come. Weak story, horrid song book and bad animation. Aside from the ice, the animation was pretty poor. Elsa's eyes scared me, at some point I thought she was going to swallow me up.

Frozen could have been so much better, and I fail to find what other people see in it. I just can't get it. Tangled was far superior and Princess and the Frog was really sweet with a fantastic songbook.

Anyway, just my .40. Failed to drink the Frozen Kool-Aid, I suppose. :(

I agree it does feel like a pitch for a Broadway musical but Disney studios has been doing adaptations for so many years that I have given up comparing their work to the original stories and have stuck with just enjoying the movies as it's own entity.

I know I'm new here, but I have to agree with the OP -Frozen feels like a hot mess.

For me, the story is meh at best. I've read the original Snow Queen by HCA, and it is a very difficult story to adapt which is why I was surprised Disney would pick it. Still, there are some wonderful elements that Disney could have used, like the little girl (Gerda) saving her best friend (a boy, Kai), the little robber girl who helps Gerda, the trolls and the mirror shard, and the Snow Queen herself.

The music was very inconsistent - going from wonderful nordic chants that gave me chills to the crazy snowman number that was completely out of place. Sven was a re-do of Max the horse, and Kristoff had no character background. I mean, he appears as a cute little boy in the beginning sequence to completely disappear till the middle when we learn he was abducted by trolls. Huh? Really? And did we even need the troll #? The song was cute, but the same idea could have been expressed in another way that made more sense (like in the "At Last I See the Light" from Tangled).

Elsa, as pretty as she is, is given no character development or even real humanity. Plus the show stopping song, "Let it Go" feels like "Defying Gravity". Of course, it doesn't help that Idina Menzel sings it. It almost feels like the animators directly copied her Wicked performance. You can even see mash-ups of it on YouTube, and I feel like it's the song that every teenager will be using in their Glee auditions from now on. Too pop-y for me.

The whole parents here-then-dead also bugged me. I know that Disney doesn't like parents (Bambi!), but still. And the Hans development was also below par for Disney. I get that they wanted to make him a villain. That's OK. But there were TOO many "villains" for my taste. They wanted that sucker punch, I get it, but it would have been better to pick one thing. Like, Hans should have sent the other suitors packing so that he would be the only option for Elsa/Anna. That's what an Alpha male does! :) Thus, he would have been the "good guy" by getting rid of all the evil suitors and then evil turn would have more impact.

I found the whole movie to feel like a pitch for a Broadway show rather than an actual fully fleshed movie. The lyrics to the songs were horrid and forgettable at best ("Nervous or gassy" - ick. Really Disney?), inconsistent, and anachronistic (Olaf's especially). I really don't blame Glen Keane for leaving if this is the caliber of Disney movies to come. Weak story, horrid song book and bad animation. Aside from the ice, the animation was pretty poor. Elsa's eyes scared me, at some point I thought she was going to swallow me up.

Frozen could have been so much better, and I fail to find what other people see in it. I just can't get it. Tangled was far superior and Princess and the Frog was really sweet with a fantastic songbook.

Anyway, just my .40. Failed to drink the Frozen Kool-Aid, I suppose. :(

You are certainly welcome to your opinion! No movie is loved by everybody. But I don't know how you can't be moved by the novel sister story, the "bad guy" not really being bad, the twist on "true love" and "true love's kiss", etc., etc.

I think it is so great because it is both a princess movie for princess movie lovers and a princess movie for princess movie haters.

It is going to cross $1 Billion probably at this point.

My suggestion is to see it again. It apparently grows on people a lot with multiple viewings.

But Tangled is great, too. We won't ban you for not loving Frozen. :goodvibes

Thanks, Yellowstonetim. By the way, I liked the Buckaroo Banzi movie, too.

Picking up where I left off:

The conversation between Kristof and Anna in the sled before the wolf chase is when I was convinsed that this was not going to be a typical Disney Princess movie. Him saying "It doesn't sound like true love to me." was very unexpected.

Olaf's song "In Summer", to me, can be seen as a comparison to Anna's song "For the first time in Forever" in that they are both stary-eyed singing about something they have never experienced but they think they know what to expect. Best part of the song is when Olaf says ..."Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle, But put me in summer and I'll be a (looks down at a puddle of water) happy snowman." I think Olaf can be seen as a personification of Anna's wishful thinking and nievity. And after the song Kristof says "I'm gonna tell him". but Anna says "Don't you dare." To me this shows that maybe Anna is beginning to see herself in Olaf's song and doesn't want Olaf to have to see the truth, because then she might have to see the truth about her own situation. Lots of poeple are like that in real life. Misery may love company, but self deception can't survive long without it, either.

Skipping ahead hear but remember to pay attention to how Kristof and Anna look at each other and how the tone of their voices continue to change during the confrontation with Elsa at the Ice palace and on the walk to the Trolls home.

The trolls are happy to see Kristof and i get the impression that he has been away for a while. Kind of like us when we went away to college. And then we bring a girl (or guy for you gals reading this) home for the first time. Remember how your parents reacted? The reaction of the trolls is just an extreme exageration of that. And the "Fixer Upper" song is about seeing the real person for who they are and not who you want them to be .. read the lyrics instead of singing them and you see so much more. (Sidebar -- Do that with the national anthem first and second verses.)

Insert the sidebar from my first post here. Another subtle hint of Anna's growing feelings for Kristof is the look on her face as Kristof carries her off on Sven toward the castle and Hans. One short scene of Kristof taking off his hat an putting it on Anna and saying "Hold on" and the slight smile on her face of complete trust in him. Then the way she looks back at him and the look on his face as the gates close.... superb animation showing their emotions.

On the 2 versions of "Let it go". I see it as this. The first version was for the story and fit well at that point in the movie. The second version was not ment to be inside the story, but outside it. you cann't flip the two version, they would not carry the feelings as they do where they are and would feel a little out of place.

Anyway. That's some of why I like Frozen and will watch it many more times in the future.

I think one of the key things is that the OP went in with high expectations.

I went in with low expectations and no real knowledge of the story or characters.

I really liked it. The surprising this is that I went with my 20 yr son and he loved it too. Beautiful movie.

I can see and totally respect that people like it, I just don't get why they do. I did go in with an open mind! Honest!
The songbook writers were Broadway composers (worked on Book of Mormon and Avenue Q, I think), so maybe it was the sarcastic Shrek-like lyrics that I didn't like? It doesn't feel like this movie compares to the Disney renaissance with B&B or Little Mermaid, it feels more sarcastic like Shrek. And Shrek is cool, I just don't want that in my Disney movies.

And yes, I understand that everyone loves the idea of sisterly love, and "you don't need a prince" is quite wonderful and sweet. I feel like Disney doesn't know how to market - to boys or girls - they are afraid to take that chance. It was like, "hey guys, we know there are two girls in here, but it's called "Frozen", not "snow queen", and look, there's a reindeer and 2 guys and a snowman. It's manly too, so come on in!" So the plot suffers because they are trying to make it not too girly and not too manly. But that creates plot holes that are ten feet deep and character development that is weak at best.
I really wish I liked it better. If you loved this movie - that's totally awesome that you do! It just didn't do it for me - I don't get the hype.

I didn't see this so much as Disney not knowing how to market to boys or girls as Disney for once making a princess movie that actually appealed to boys too. Even my princess hating 8 year old really liked it and he and his male friends were even discussing it at football training this week. That would not and did not happen for Tangled or The Princess and the Frog.

We are Wicked lovers here, so maybe that does play into it, but I love that my boy is happy to pause Pokemon to watch Let It Go on YouTube once again.

Thanks, Yellowstonetim. By the way, I liked the Buckaroo Banzi movie, too.

Picking up where I left off:

The conversation between Kristof and Anna in the sled before the wolf chase is when I was convinsed that this was not going to be a typical Disney Princess movie. Him saying "It doesn't sound like true love to me." was very unexpected.

Olaf's song "In Summer", to me, can be seen as a comparison to Anna's song "For the first time in Forever" in that they are both stary-eyed singing about something they have never experienced but they think they know what to expect. Best part of the song is when Olaf says ..."Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle, But put me in summer and I'll be a (looks down at a puddle of water) happy snowman." I think Olaf can be seen as a personification of Anna's wishful thinking and nievity. And after the song Kristof says "I'm gonna tell him". but Anna says "Don't you dare." To me this shows that maybe Anna is beginning to see herself in Olaf's song and doesn't want Olaf to have to see the truth, because then she might have to see the truth about her own situation. Lots of poeple are like that in real life. Misery may love company, but self deception can't survive long without it, either.

Skipping ahead hear but remember to pay attention to how Kristof and Anna look at each other and how the tone of their voices continue to change during the confrontation with Elsa at the Ice palace and on the walk to the Trolls home.

The trolls are happy to see Kristof and i get the impression that he has been away for a while. Kind of like us when we went away to college. And then we bring a girl (or guy for you gals reading this) home for the first time. Remember how your parents reacted? The reaction of the trolls is just an extreme exageration of that. And the "Fixer Upper" song is about seeing the real person for who they are and not who you want them to be .. read the lyrics instead of singing them and you see so much more. (Sidebar -- Do that with the national anthem first and second verses.)

Insert the sidebar from my first post here. Another subtle hint of Anna's growing feelings for Kristof is the look on her face as Kristof carries her off on Sven toward the castle and Hans. One short scene of Kristof taking off his hat an putting it on Anna and saying "Hold on" and the slight smile on her face of complete trust in him. Then the way she looks back at him and the look on his face as the gates close.... superb animation showing their emotions.

On the 2 versions of "Let it go". I see it as this. The first version was for the story and fit well at that point in the movie. The second version was not ment to be inside the story, but outside it. you cann't flip the two version, they would not carry the feelings as they do where they are and would feel a little out of place.

Anyway. That's some of why I like Frozen and will watch it many more times in the future.

Right on Buckaroo Banzai fan! That is one crazy wonderful movie.

You are so right about the subtlety and depth of how they developed characters. If you look at facial reactions and other features and how they change over the course of the movie, you see what is happening. That is great in any movie, it is awesome in an animated feature.

I like the idea of comparing Anna & Olaf's starry eyed lack of understanding. We also agree completely about the two versions of the song. Not contradictory, but complimentary and for different purposes.

I also love the idea of Olaf being the living breathing representation of the love between the sisters. Olaf helps solve the issue because love is the solution.

I also love how the movie balanced self awareness with love of others. Everyone loves "Let it Go" when Elsa goes off by herself because she now could be who she really is, but she is actually wrong. She has now imprisoned herself selfishly overreacting to the years of repression. But in the end she learns to accept herself for who she is AND love and think of others.

Wow, what a great lesson!! And an act of true love being sacrifice not kissing! I LOVE IT! Every parent should discuss this movie with their sons and daughters. Be yourself but love others! Home run Disney! Fun and good morals! I also like how Tangled ended with love that was sacrificial on the part of both Flynn and Rapunzel. Another good lesson. Young ladies, pick a man willing to lay down his life for you! THAT's love.

I can see and totally respect that people like it, I just don't get why they do. I did go in with an open mind! Honest!
The songbook writers were Broadway composers (worked on Book of Mormon and Avenue Q, I think), so maybe it was the sarcastic Shrek-like lyrics that I didn't like? It doesn't feel like this movie compares to the Disney renaissance with B&B or Little Mermaid, it feels more sarcastic like Shrek. And Shrek is cool, I just don't want that in my Disney movies.

And yes, I understand that everyone loves the idea of sisterly love, and "you don't need a prince" is quite wonderful and sweet. I feel like Disney doesn't know how to market - to boys or girls - they are afraid to take that chance. It was like, "hey guys, we know there are two girls in here, but it's called "Frozen", not "snow queen", and look, there's a reindeer and 2 guys and a snowman. It's manly too, so come on in!" So the plot suffers because they are trying to make it not too girly and not too manly. But that creates plot holes that are ten feet deep and character development that is weak at best.
I really wish I liked it better. If you loved this movie - that's totally awesome that you do! It just didn't do it for me - I don't get the hype.

I have had the same problem with certain movies. Two things happen: One, my expectations are too high and the movie never overcomes them. Two, some small (or large) thing irritates me and I cannot get beyond it so I dislike the movie. And I will admit that irritant can be small. Sometimes these things change with multiple viewings or the passage of time. Sometimes they do not.

But try watching it again, accepting the bad things and looking for the positives, maybe your view will change, maybe not. I have found that for some reason multiple viewings of this movie help.

Don't worry about why it is so popular; why we like movies is impossible to define exactly. I am a big movie buff and there are still some highly famous/popular/great movies that I just can't stand. Not sure why, they just don't do it for me. (ET is one. Beloved hit and it feels like a b movie to me.) Oh well. I like a few thousand others :eek:, so all is OK.
:happytv:

For Frozen, the first time I liked it, the second I loved it, and it continues to grow on me. I like everything about it. (except the gassy line. :confused3)

One thing I do agree with 100%: I DO NOT want Disney to go the Shrek route!!!!

I do also love Tangled and Princess and the Frog, they are great movies and both have good songs. Tangled was a hit and Princess and the Frog was moderately successful (A failure for Disney) I don't know why. Although very different, I think Frozen is on another plane.

See it is possible to disagree pleasantly on this board. :hug:

I didn't see this so much as Disney not knowing how to market to boys or girls as Disney for once making a princess movie that actually appealed to boys too. Even my princess hating 8 year old really liked it and he and his male friends were even discussing it at football training this week. That would not and did not happen for Tangled or The Princess and the Frog.

We are Wicked lovers here, so maybe that does play into it, but I love that my boy is happy to pause Pokemon to watch Let It Go on YouTube once again.

I think you are right: This movie did three things that are amazing together: One, it was a princess movie that appealed to all the princess loving girls. Two, it was a great story that also appealed to all ages and boys. Three, and this I think is the big one; it is a princess movie that will appeal to princess movie haters.

That is an accomplishment: A movie that both princess movie lovers and haters can love!! This is all because of the balance of being respectful of princesses while at the same time turning the "true love" romance angle on it's head along with the love at first sight angle. I love, love, LOVE that angle of this movie.

I love that football playing boys love this movie! That made my day. :thumbsup2

Yellowstonetim, I see the gassy line in "For the first time in forever" in this way: Just like all teenagers, she is having trouble identifying where certain feelings and urges are coming from, so when she says "... don't know if I'm elated or gassy, but I'm somwhere in that zone..." the writers are revealing that Anna is emotionally immature or not emotionally self aware. I don't know how to say it. Or they could be refering to a movie from the 80's that I cann't remember the title for in which one of the charaters says "I thought I was in love, once. Turned out it was just gas."

Agree with view of ET. It was fun to watch, but only as a "once" movie. To me it just was another --Kids smart, adults stupid and mean-- movie.

As another aside, I think that sometimes when someone (including me) likes amovie, it is because we agree with the message we see in the movie, and when we don't like a movie, we seem to dissagree with the morals or message supported in the movie. I could be enjoying a movie or tv show just fine and then they put in something that is against my morals and it just ruins it all. I had an old, country raised professer that used to say "A spoon ful of horse !!!! will ruin a gallon of ice cream, and a gallon of ice cream won't make a spoon full of horse !!!! edible."

Just like what you put into your mouth eventually becomes a part of you, so does what you put into your eyes and ears become a part of you.

Beacher425 said:
Yellowstonetim, I see the gassy line in "For the first time in forever" in this way: Just like all teenagers, she is having trouble identifying where certain feelings and urges are coming from, so when she says "... don't know if I'm elated or gassy, but I'm somwhere in that zone..." the writers are revealing that Anna is emotionally immature or not emotionally self aware. I don't know how to say it. Or they could be refering to a movie from the 80's that I cann't remember the title for in which one of the charaters says "I thought I was in love, once. Turned out it was just gas."

Agree with view of ET. It was fun to watch, but only as a "once" movie. To me it just was another --Kids smart, adults stupid and mean-- movie.

As another aside, I think that sometimes when someone (including me) likes amovie, it is because we agree with the message we see in the movie, and when we don't like a movie, we seem to dissagree with the morals or message supported in the movie. I could be enjoying a movie or tv show just fine and then they put in something that is against my morals and it just ruins it all. I had an old, country raised professer that used to say "A spoon ful of horse !!!! will ruin a gallon of ice cream, and a gallon of ice cream won't make a spoon full of horse !!!! edible."

Just like what you put into your mouth eventually becomes a part of you, so does what you put into your eyes and ears become a part of you.

Interesting point about the gassy line. I think that is true. It's just a little jarring in an otherwise beautiful song.

You are absolutely right about the content and morals. That is exactly how I feel. It is one of the reasons I love Frozen. It has good lessons to talk about with kids.

I am not a fan of musical's and this movie just about killed me. It felt like it was non stop singing for the first 30 min. I got so impatient I almost walked out, but I had to stick it out for the kids. I feel like they have been pushing way to many songs in their movies lately. Rapunzel, loved the movie but 1 too many songs. Muppet movie, way too many songs, and the same with Frozen, songs didn't make alot of sense, didn't care for Anna's songs, but the build a snow man one.

Too make matter worse, my kids loved it, they wanted to watch the music videos all the time to the point that those songs are all stuck in my head. Pure torture. My co-worker and I couldn't figure out if we were crazy, but how did this movie get such rave reviews. I felt like it left much to be desired. Didn't understand why it had trolls. Maybe I need to read the story. Did love Olaf, saving grace of the movie.

I also saw alot of stuff in this movie that was in the Art of Rapunzel book. Came off as kind of lazy.

I just hope they cut back on the songs in their future movies.

I am not a fan of musical's and this movie just about killed me. It felt like it was non stop singing for the first 30 min. I got so impatient I almost walked out, but I had to stick it out for the kids. I feel like they have been pushing way to many songs in their movies lately. Rapunzel, loved the movie but 1 too many songs. Muppet movie, way too many songs, and the same with Frozen, songs didn't make alot of sense, didn't care for Anna's songs, but the build a snow man one.

Too make matter worse, my kids loved it, they wanted to watch the music videos all the time to the point that those songs are all stuck in my head. Pure torture. My co-worker and I couldn't figure out if we were crazy, but how did this movie get such rave reviews. I felt like it left much to be desired. Didn't understand why it had trolls. Maybe I need to read the story. Did love Olaf, saving grace of the movie.

I also saw alot of stuff in this movie that was in the Art of Rapunzel book. Came off as kind of lazy.

I just hope they cut back on the songs in their future movies.

I'm sorry, but now that it is approaching $1 Billion dollars you are unlikely to get less songs in future movies. ;)

Songs are powerful, especially when they advance the storyline. That is why people love them in the movie. Plus, animated musicals are Disney's speciality.

But to each his own. Try watching it again.

my love for frozen is borderline irrational. i love the songs so much i listen to them everyday and i've yet to grow tired of them. i totally sympathize with anna and elsa because what happened to them has happened to me. just not as dramatic. my little sister died when she was a baby and my dad died of pancreas cancer when i was 15. i almost cried at the do you want to build a snowman scene coz i know that lonely feeling too well. i watched it twice and the first time i watched it i did with my mom. i think she cried a bit too. basically i enjoyed the movie from the first to the last minute.

but then it's very personal. it's alright if you don't find this particular disney movie magical. :)

Having watched the movie at least twice more on the Blue Ray and digital download, I have some additional comments:

About Kristoff taking Anna to see the trolls... Earlier I compaired the reaction of the trolls to Kristoff's return to how parents react when their children return from college for a weekend. Listening to the trolls carefully, one of them says to Kristof: "Take off your clothes, I'll wash them." The "I'll wash them" was lost by me in the theater by the audiance lafter.

The self sacrifice of love is shown by Olaf several times:
1. When he is thrown by the snow monster and says to Kristof and Anna " I'll distract him while you run. And later throws himself on the leg of the monster to try to slow him down.
2. When he is at the trolls home and wispers to Anna "He's crazy. I'll distract him while you run........ Because I love you, Anna, I insist you run."
3. When he risks melting to help Anna understand what love is and says "Some people are worth melting for."

Even Sven seems to know about self sacrifice.
1. On coronation day when Kristof gives him a carrot and he then shares the carrot with kristof.
2. The look on Sven's face when he sees how Kristof reacts to having to leave Anna at the castle and when he stops Kristof from walking away and his determination to get Kristof to Anna through the blizzard. When he jumps on the broken ice and throws Kristof clear, but falls in to the icy water himself. When he reappears and pulls himself up on the ice you can almost hear Sven yelling at Kristof "I'm OK, Go!"

Everytime I watch the movie I see more and more in it, whether the writers ment for it to be there or not. Frozen is definately becoming one of my all time favorate movies.

Having watched the movie at least twice more on the Blue Ray and digital download, I have some additional comments:

About Kristoff taking Anna to see the trolls... Earlier I compaired the reaction of the trolls to Kristoff's return to how parents react when their children return from college for a weekend. Listening to the trolls carefully, one of them says to Kristof: "Take off your clothes, I'll wash them." The "I'll wash them" was lost by me in the theater by the audiance lafter.

The self sacrifice of love is shown by Olaf several times:
1. When he is thrown by the snow monster and says to Kristof and Anna " I'll distract him while you run. And later throws himself on the leg of the monster to try to slow him down.
2. When he is at the trolls home and wispers to Anna "He's crazy. I'll distract him while you run........ Because I love you, Anna, I insist you run."
3. When he risks melting to help Anna understand what love is and says "Some people are worth melting for."

Even Sven seems to know about self sacrifice.
1. On coronation day when Kristof gives him a carrot and he then shares the carrot with kristof.
2. The look on Sven's face when he sees how Kristof reacts to having to leave Anna at the castle and when he stops Kristof from walking away and his determination to get Kristof to Anna through the blizzard. When he jumps on the broken ice and throws Kristof clear, but falls in to the icy water himself. When he reappears and pulls himself up on the ice you can almost hear Sven yelling at Kristof "I'm OK, Go!"

Everytime I watch the movie I see more and more in it, whether the writers ment for it to be there or not. Frozen is definately becoming one of my all time favorate movies.

:thumbsup2 Yes, yes, yes! I noticed that, too! Loving sacrifice for others is everywhere. I think it is especially telling and important when Olaf is sacrificial. He is the living embodiment of the love between Elsa and Anna and therefore his sacrificial love of Anna is foreshadowing what love really is.

Man I love this movie to pieces. What an amazing way to teach children about love with all these examples in a movie they love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5IH57SorQ

Honest trailers on youtube. Sorry to resurrect the thread/repost on a topic, but this a funny version of my feelings on the movie.

How DARE you post that around here? Don't you know that free-thinking alternate opinions are dangerous?

Thanks the link. I hadn't known about those videos but I'll have to check out more. And I'm totally with you... this trailer sums things up for me, as well.

As for the other poster who mentioned hating the songs and wishing there were fewer, I probably would have walked out with you. As a straight male, I greatly disliked the silly Broadway-esque songs. Fortunately, I watched it on illegal DVD at home, and believe me when I say my remote was readily in hand.

I tried watching Tangled on a flight to England, and even then I found myself fast forwarding through the film. And I refuse to watch Princess & the Frog. These princess-heavy films are slowly (OK, quickly) starting to lose me.

Two bid thumbs up for Honest Trailers!!!! Make sure you watch the ones for The Hunger Games and Iron Man 3!!!

Also check out HISHE (How It Should Have Ended) and Bad Lip Reading on youtube. You will love the Bad Lip Reading - Medieval Fun Land, especially if you arre a Game of Thrones fan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter