Did Aulani Blow You Away?

Perhaps you mistake my meaning. The other Peter Dominick resorts are more explorable, with more hidden gems. Aulani has no quiet room spaces such as the Sunset overlook at AKL or the small lounges with fireplaces above the entrance at WL. Just a couple of generic chairs and a table in the open space by the elevators. AKL and WL have African and Native American handicrafts displayed throughout. While there is a painting on each elevator lobby wall and Hawai'ian themed paintings in the lobby, the only Polynesian artifacts I saw at Aulani were in a small case in the lobby area. Not saying that Aulani was insufficient for what it was, it just wasn't on the same design level for me as the other Peter Dominick resorts.
I don't know, to me this is like ordering a plate of fried chicken and then complaining that it's not sweet like cake. Aulani isn't a lodge and shouldn't be.

Perhaps you mistake my meaning. The other Peter Dominick resorts are more explorable, with more hidden gems. Aulani has no quiet room spaces such as the Sunset overlook at AKL or the small lounges with fireplaces above the entrance at WL. Just a couple of generic chairs and a table in the open space by the elevators. AKL and WL have African and Native American handicrafts displayed throughout. While there is a painting on each elevator lobby wall and Hawai'ian themed paintings in the lobby, the only Polynesian artifacts I saw at Aulani were in a small case in the lobby area. Not saying that Aulani was insufficient for what it was, it just wasn't on the same design level for me as the other Peter Dominick resorts.
Maybe it’s just me, but it never occurred to me for a second that Aulani’s location on a beautiful series of lagoons and unique architecture needed to be augmented by display cases of Polynesian artifacts scattered throughout the buildings. The hotel as museum approach hasn’t been done in years.

Again, I’m a fan of those Peter Dominick buildings, but placing some gargantuan, heavily themed atrium in a hulking structure by the beach just doesn’t seem like a good fit. The volume of Aulani’s lobby is still impressive, but its meant to direct your attention outside toward the amazing views and vast ocean landscape. Most hotel lobbies in Hawaii are open air, and are intended to bring the outside in. I don’t think some vast, shadowy, enclosed volume like what your talking about would be appropriate.

I don't know, to me this is like ordering a plate of fried chicken and then complaining that it's not sweet like cake. Aulani isn't a lodge and shouldn't be.
I truly must look at things completely differently because it never crossed my mind to compare or even expect certain things from a hotel lobby. I like how open air Aulani's lobby is and how you walk through and you have the amazing view of the ocean and pools. I also like how they have the desk "hidden" away from the entrance. I never once walked into a hotel lobby and have it affect my trip though. I see it as a functional area and don't hang out there.

How do you go about pooling your points? Can it be done with personal points and rented points?
They allow you to have points transferred from another's account I believe once a year. The person who is giving the points has to call member services to do do.

How do you go about pooling your points? Can it be done with personal points and rented points?
We just agree with our friends as to which nights each will book. We then have member services link the two reservations so we don't have to move.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. The OP's question was "Did Aulani Blow You Away?". My answer was no. I didn't hate it but based on Peter Dominick's other resorts, I was expecting more unexpected and unique design elements. And it's not a size thing (I appreciated the Coco Palms and Kona Village uniqueness when I stayed at those resorts). To me Aulani was just a standard hotel design with a Hawai'ian overlay. Nothing wrong with that, just not as interesting to me personally.

Last edited:
We'll just have to agree to disagree. The OP's question was "Did Aulani Blow You Away?". My answer was no. I didn't hate it but based on Peter Dominick's other resorts, I was expecting more unexpected and unique design elements. And it's not a size thing (I appreciated the Coco Palms and Kona Village uniqueness when I stayed at those resorts). To me Aulani was just a standard hotel design with a Hawai'ian overlay. Nothing wrong with that, just not as interesting to me personally.
Agree.

The physical environment of Hawaii will blow you away. It’s unique. It’s beautiful.

Aulani itself is physically lovely. But not unique other than its immense size. The rooms are threadbare (but that’s a different post). The entry is nice because of the view. But it’s fine.
And if a lazy river defines what someone thinks a great hotel is - I guess we have different views on what makes a hotel great

And as most things in the Aulani thread - someone posts something pretty innocuous and lightly negative and people come to tell them they are wrong.

Yes, on this we’ll disagree, but not sure I understand where you’re coming from re Aulani having a standard hotel design. Each wing actually has simulated thatched eaves, accompanied by huge simulated wooden logs, and multi story ”carved stone” artwork on the pool facing end of each tower, inspired by Hawaiian mythology, all hundreds of feet high. Oh yeah, let’s not forget the volcanic mountain with two water slides, a tropical lazy river, an amazing splash area, an artificial snorkeling reef, North Shore inspired storefronts selling food and shaved ice, plus a multi level jacuzzi, all within the environment between the two towers. I think that’s a little more than a Hawaiian overlay. You want standard hotel design, take a look at the Marriott Ko Olina down the beach, or the Four Seasons next door.

Peter Dominick used the same basic idea for multiple resorts at WDW. I love them, but I wouldn’t want that cloned in Hawaii.

Agree.

The physical environment of Hawaii will blow you away. It’s unique. It’s beautiful.

Aulani itself is physically lovely. But not unique other than its immense size. The rooms are threadbare (but that’s a different post). The entry is nice because of the view. But it’s fine.
And if a lazy river defines what someone thinks a great hotel is - I guess we have different views on what makes a hotel great

And as most things in the Aulani thread - someone posts something pretty innocuous and lightly negative and people come to tell them they are wrong.
Not sure when you were there last, but a soft refurb really helped the rooms. My issue with so many hotels in Hawaii is that they all have a nice open air lobby, looking out over a generic pool, plus a nice beach. They’re all pretty good, but a little boring. In my opinion, Aulani accomplishes more.

And, yeah, I love the lazy river! I wish every hotel on the islands had one!

Yes, on this we’ll disagree, but not sure I understand where you’re coming from re Aulani having a standard hotel design. Each wing actually has simulated thatched eaves, accompanied by huge simulated wooden logs, and multi story ”carved stone” artwork on the pool facing end of each tower, inspired by Hawaiian mythology, all hundreds of feet high. Oh yeah, let’s not forget the volcanic mountain with two water slides, a tropical lazy river, an amazing splash area, an artificial snorkeling reef, North Shore inspired storefronts selling food and shaved ice, plus a multi level jacuzzi, all within the environment between the two towers. I think that’s a little more than a Hawaiian overlay. You want standard hotel design, take a look at the Marriott Ko Olina down the beach, or the Four Seasons next door.

Peter Dominick used the same basic idea for multiple resorts at WDW. I love them, but I wouldn’t want that cloned in Hawaii.
Ah, but you see therein is my point. I expected Aulani to be more imaginative in it's internal architecture rather than 3 rectangles with some nods to Hawai'ian culture on the surface. To me Aulani is like you covered the Marriott Ko Olina or the Four Seasons with those simulated logs and simulated thatched eaves.
I'm not addressing the outdoor areas (as I said in my original post, it appears that is where the design focus was, and perhaps rightly so in a beach resort).
As to where I'm coming from, I don't claim to be an architecture expert. I have a degree in fine arts. I've been making trips to Hawai'i since 1989. I've been a student of Polynesian art/dancer with a halau for going on eleven years. So my background may have something to do with my expectations.
The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine. Simmer down kids, lol. If Aulani is your happy place and you think it's perfect, then I respect your opinion. No need to defend Aulani to me.

Agree.

I don't think you know what "threadbare" means. A room can't be "threadbare."

Ah, but you see therein is my point. I expected Aulani to be more imaginative in it's internal architecture rather than 3 rectangles with some nods to Hawai'ian culture on the surface. To me Aulani is like you covered the Marriott Ko Olina or the Four Seasons with those simulated logs and simulated thatched eaves.
I'm not addressing the outdoor areas (as I said in my original post, it appears that is where the design focus was, and perhaps rightly so in a beach resort).
As to where I'm coming from, I don't claim to be an architecture expert. I have a degree in fine arts. I've been making trips to Hawai'i since 1989. I've been a student of Polynesian art/dancer with a halau for going on eleven years. So my background may have something to do with my expectations.
The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine. Simmer down kids, lol. If Aulani is your happy place and you think it's perfect, then I respect your opinion. No need to defend Aulani to me.
Ah. Well at least I understand your point. You don’t like Aulani because:
1. It‘s simulated thatching is not to your taste, but apparently you like AKL’s simulated thatching better.
2. Aulani’s large U shape is not aesthetically appealing to you. but apparently you like the large U shape of Wilderness Lodge better.
3. Or perhaps you enjoy Kidani Village’s miles of scenic, well themed underground parking? Or perhaps you miss the exercise opportunities offered by the mile long hallways at Kidani Village?

Not defending Aulani to you, just enjoying the debate. All of those WDW resorts you reference, which, don’t get me wrong, are indeed great, have their negative quirks as well.

1. It‘s simulated thatching is not to your taste, but apparently you like AKL’s simulated thatching better.
2. Aulani’s large U shape is not aesthetically appealing to you. but apparently you like the large U shape of Wilderness Lodge better.
3. Or perhaps you enjoy Kidani Village’s miles of scenic, well themed underground parking? Or perhaps you miss the exercise opportunities offered by the mile long hallways at Kidani Village?

Not defending Aulani to you, just enjoying the debate. All of those WDW resorts you reference, which, don’t get me wrong, are indeed great, have their negative quirks as well.

Maybe enjoying the debate to the point of prolonging it by willfully misunderstanding me? My observation was in regards to the internal architecture. Regardless of the hotel's size, without spaces used in imaginative ways, it's just a hotel covered in "simulated logs" and "simulated thatching" (your words). At least apparently we can agree that Kidani looks like one big parking garage, never cared for that one.

Maybe enjoying the debate to the point of prolonging it by willfully misunderstanding me? My observation was in regards to the internal architecture. Regardless of the hotel's size, without spaces used in imaginative ways, it's just a hotel covered in "simulated logs" and "simulated thatching" (your words).
Why are you fixated on just the indoor spaces? That whole back "porch" area is part of the lobby, too.

1664472923329.png

Ok, I do understand your pov. But with Aulani’s focus oriented more toward the outdoors, those fun interior nooks and crannies aren’t necessary in Hawaii with the principal draw being the pools and beach. I’d rather sit outside, for instance, than pass some time in Aulani’s new DVC lounge, or enjoy the beautiful back porch to the lobby pictured above.

So we’re not really doing an apples to apples comparison. That said, all these hotels we’re talking about are super nice in different ways!

Yes, we’re all relieved you clarified this! :) I for one can sleep a tad easier, knowing that we‘ve all had our DVC lexicon expanded.
That said, I for one prefer the use of “shabby” to describe a room, instead of relying on a subsidiary usage of a term primarily intended to describe textiles. Am considering starting a new thread to discuss this very topic.
But using either term to describe Aulani’s rooms is in my opinion a harsh exaggeration. We’re not talking about a Motel 6 here.

Yes, we’re all relieved you clarified this! :) I for one can sleep a tad easier, knowing that we‘ve all had our DVC lexicon expanded.
That said, I for one prefer the use of “shabby” to describe a room, instead of relying on a subsidiary usage of a term primarily intended to describe textiles. Am considering starting a new thread to discuss this very topic.
But using either term to describe Aulani’s rooms is in my opinion a harsh exaggeration. We’re not talking about a Motel 6 here

So glad I could help with the correct and common definition and usage of a fairly basic middle school word. Bless your heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter