• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did Anyone Actually Save Money Using the Dining Plan?

We are going 4 nights in October--no FD--2 adults, 2 kids. If my research is correct the DP will cost us $640, $160/day. We have 4 ADR character meals. I used an average for meal prices.
Day 1 Akershus: Adult $47x2 Kids 26x2 + tax= 156+27(tip)=183
Day 2 Chef Mickey: $42x2 + 21x2 + tax = 134+23(tip)=157
Day 3 1900 PF: 37x2 + 19x2 + tax = 119+21(tip)=140
Day 4 Crystal Palace (lunch): 27x2 + 15x2 + tax= 84+15(tip)=104
OOP TS meal total=$584
OOP Mugs x2 =$36+584=$620 (including tax & tips)
DP Cost + Tips= $726

Difference = $106. This does not cover the other 4 QS meals & snacks that we would with the dinning plan. For us the DP is the best option.

Does this seem right? Please tell me if I did something wrong. This is our first trip. Tip was calculated at 18%

We are going 4 nights in October--no FD--2 adults, 2 kids. If my research is correct the DP will cost us $640, $160/day. We have 4 ADR character meals. I used an average for meal prices. Day 1 Akershus: Adult $47x2 Kids 26x2 + tax= 156+27(tip)=183 Day 2 Chef Mickey: $42x2 + 21x2 + tax = 134+23(tip)=157 Day 3 1900 PF: 37x2 + 19x2 + tax = 119+21(tip)=140 Day 4 Crystal Palace (lunch): 27x2 + 15x2 + tax= 84+15(tip)=104 OOP TS meal total=$584 OOP Mugs x2 =$36+584=$620 (including tax & tips) DP Cost + Tips= $726 Difference = $106. This does not cover the other 4 QS meals & snacks that we would with the dinning plan. For us the DP is the best option. Does this seem right? Please tell me if I did something wrong. This is our first trip. Tip was calculated at 18%
I didn't double check your math, but tips are not included on the dining plan. You'll be paying those out of pocket regardless.

For my family, I would not pay for the plan because I am cheap and make everybody share snacks and drinks, and sometimes even entrees. There is no way that we would plan to eat enough for the plan to cost less that what I can "make do" on.

However, we got it for free last year and it worked for us because we were 2 adults, and a 13, 10, and 8 year old in POR. A 20% or whatever a room only discount would have been wouldn't have even come close to the DDP costs for 4 "adults" and one child. To maximize further, and because all of my kids eat normal food and not those crazy, gross kid menu PBJ and chicken strips, I booked all family style and/or buffets so DS8 could eat whatever he wanted and wasn't stuck with an Uncrustable while we were eating the good stuff.

We scrambled to use the last 12 snack credits for two reasons - with a CS lunch (with dessert) and a TS buffet or family style meal every day, we weren't hungry in between for snacks, and 2 - it seemed like every time we went to a CS for a snack, DH always wanted something that counted as a meal, so the thing I wanted was usually counted as the dessert, plus we got the drink, so we would only have to use 1-2 more snack credits because we would all share the dessert and whatever DH got, plus there was the drink, so we shared that too.

If we ever get free dining again, I will be less strict about sharing, that's for sure! I did like the plan because I am always the one saying no and looking at the prices on the menu before ordering. It was really nice to be able to not have to do that...even though old habits die hard and I still caught myself doing it!

Just back from 5 nights/6days and spent a total oop $948.99 4 adults including tips at 20%. Ate and drank what we wanted. Table service all but one meal and plenty of snacks. The only dining plan that would have worked for us would have been deluxe and that would have cost more than twice and not included tips.

Our table service dinners included bog X's 2, brown derby, rose and crown. Character breakfasts at tusker house, crystal palace. Sanna lunch x's 2, via Napoli lunch and bog lunch.

We have purchased the dining plan for 3 years and this year opted to not go that route. We are not big eaters so take this with a grain of salt but we saved a lot of money by dining ala carte and not picking a dining plan. Disney gives you a lot of food so we found that we could easily split a meal for lunch - or enjoy some economical options - Be Our Guest offers healthy and delicious soup that is so good! We will opt to avoid the dining plan in the future unless we get it at a deep discount. That being said, if you really enjoy eating A LOT and want to splurge - it's worth getting.

We can make DDP work for us and save tons, or we can save money by paying OOP... it's all what you make of it.

Last trip was 6 adults and 1 child for 6 days and we ended up coming ahead about $100 per adult on DDP compared to what we would've paid OOP. That said, we picked more expensive entrees than we would have OOP and we definitely ate more dessert than we would OOP. My ILs loved the freedom DP gave them and are stoked we get Free Dining for our holiday trip.

For my Sept trip with DH, DDs, and DFriend, we aren't doing DDP because we'll save more OOP. DH is the only big eater in this group and we're doing a lot more character breakfasts because youngest DD is fresher in the morning and those are cheaper than later day meals. We figured doing DDP would cost about $30 more per adult so not worth it. ((DD6 always comes out ahead on DDP because she can eat!))

Looking at Dec trip, though, the family already was set to use DDP because most of our ADRs are for dinners and they often use snack credits to get souvenirs for friends back at home so it saves them in non-dining ways. Also, with a group of 11, it will be a lot easier to have DDP and not stress over splitting checks, responding to different budgets, and can just enjoy the vacation.

If we had paid OOP, I would have shared a lot and sacrificed ordering what I "really" wanted at restaurants. Having the ddp... I was able to do something I never do and order absolutely anything I wanted. For me, that made the vacation that much better. I wouldn't do it if we went every year, but it was a special vacation and I'm glad we bought it.

IN 2010, I had a group of 6 "Disney Adults" with free dining --

Our meal receipts for 15 days were $5798.
the cost of our vacation (room, travel and tickets) was $6100.

So I basically paid the difference -- just over $300 for 6 people at Pop Century for 15 days.

I would say I saved $$$ ;)

We used to save money but not anymore. Now we order what we want and pay, some years we have TIW. We like appetizers or salad with our dinner, we aren't big dessert folks, it just doesn't work well for us.

I had to do the math out I went to a web site with menus and prices and picked out what we would get I have myself my dh my mom and my daughters 11,7 and 2 and my 11 year old loves steaks so we save money there with her getting the most expensive things also snacks could be 5 or 6 dollarsmy dh love to get the gummies with his credits. For us we are saving money but we had to make a effort with our resturant choices

I've done it both ways as well. I find that when we pay OOP, we usually spend more because having the dining plan tends to keep us on budget. It is way too easy to overspend if you're not careful. We do eat at the more expensive restaurants when we have the DDP, plus we don't use the snacks for chips or bottled water. We'll go to a bakery and buy pastries to have for breakfast, or like last time we had some snacks left and we picked up the Mickey rice krispy treats to bring back as gifts. We also found if we combined 2 quick lunch tickets we were able to get a whole pizza which 4 of us split. With it we got 2 desserts which are so huge you have to cut them in half anyway, and 2 bottled water which we split. For us, it just makes more sense to do the DDP so we don't have to watch numbers. It is extremely easy to overspend at WDW!

It's impossible to compare. We can eat on a budget or we can eat the way we dream we could afford. Saving money is the fist option but not the most enjoyable option for us. We love free dining because everyone orders whatever they want most. Is that the method for saving money? Clearly not. But honestly our free dining trips are the ones my kids remember best because they have enjoyed those most. It's all about if you can only go to disney if you restrict to the absolute lowest dollar, or if going to disney can be super carefree and enjoyable by having free dining and not fussing over your child ordering something you know they can't possibly finish. We have done better with free dining. Love it!!

I always use this calculator before I go to see if I would save by doing the DDP: http://www.distripplanner.com/

Not once after putting in the restaurants I intended to eat at did it say I would be better of getting the DDP. The plan is good though if you do choose to eat at the most expensive restaurants each day.

Also, free dining is never a viable option for us because the cost we sacrifice in paying full price for a Disney hotel and tickets (We use military discounts each time), is greater than the value of the free dining.

I just used the calculator for 6 people and we would have to pay an additional $1200 so it wouldn't work for us either....

In 2010 when we stayed at ASMu with free dining, we definitely saved money. In 2015 when we go, there will likely be no FD offerred and we are currently trying to decide if we should add the meal plan or not. I don't know if it will really save much or not. Hopefully a discount off the package will make it more attractive

DH is leaning towards it as we do like table service meals and it will give DD a chance to see a lot of characters that way - she loved that back in 2010 and still feels she wants that now. The main reason I like it is because it keeps us within budget. Plus as a PP said, I would skip over certain items because I would choose lesser cost options. This way we can eat steak every night if we want and not feel badly about the prices.

We compared the price of OOP vs DDP and this year went with the DP which we haven't done since getting it free way back when we took DS to his first WDW visit.

This time since we were doing some character dining - CRT & both SW meals - it actually came out almost the same but with doing the dining plan we would get 4 resort mugs (verses the two I probably would have bought) and one more TS meal. We only had 3 originally planned but changed them when the Star Wars meals came out. Since the SW meals are expensive, the dining plan let us have our 3 TS meals plus one. So for the same price we are getting a little more.

For us getting FD is a better offer than a RO offer. That said we will never pay for any dining plan. It isn't economical for us. You have to eat so much food just to break even and we aren't big eaters. After a couple days I can't eat that much. All those desserts get to be too much. I start asking if I can substitute or just give them away.

We have done the regular DDP and seem to fare better with the TiW card. Less restrictions and we just order what we want. Also while I am on the DDP, I tend to pick the most expensive items rather than what I might really want to be sure I am getting my credit worth of food.

I just used the calculator and ran through a moderate wish list. I came out ahead using the DDP, so to me it's like prepaying for my meals and thus less money to have to deal with. It works for me.

We have the free dining because of our dates, but I upgraded to the regular (3 meals day/2 snacks) for our stay. It was $400 extra for 4 nights. What is it saving me?

It's saving me hear my husband grumble every time we go somewhere. It's saving me from choosing which restaurants I really want to go to and just being able to do them. We currently have 4 character meals booked, and I'm thrilled that we don't have to worry about any of them. Will I end up saving money? I really don't know. Is it worth every penny to not hear my husband complain? YES.

Obviously this is a personal decision, but everyone knows the dynamics in their own relationships. Happy travels everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter