• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Diary of a Picky Kid (& his Foodie Mom) DxDDP in December! Update 4/9 'Ohana Dinner!

Ha!! I swear, no such obnoxious tone. I thought "Hmm, Lisa with the cute picky kid!!" :thumbsup2 That is SOO awesome that you could swap your reservations! And whew, what a stress lifted off your shoulders that you don't have to stalk around for a reservation or a waitlist... phew. I totally loved when we stayed at the Poly.. we did a split and only did 3 nights there so we got AK/HS out of our systems and didn't touch a bus for the entire 3.5 days. You can't beat it!

We ate there in Feb and the mimosas are $10/each or $16 for bottomless, which I guess if you're having more than 1 is a pretty good deal. The eggs benedict are great there too, they have a key lime hollandaise :O

Only 5 months to ADR'S! I love that countdown. So much to look forward to when you book far out and can really plan everything!

haha yeah he is pretty cute. He's got the HUGE brown eyes with long eyelashes, my boyfriend says he looks like an anime character. it's funny, his son is about a year older and a bit shorter and also has the same coloring with brown eyes and dark lashes and everyone thinks they are brothers. yeah I am super jazzed about staying at the Poly AND super jazzed about meeting another nice DVC/Disney family, we've been chatting about our trips and it's pretty nice!

mmm mimosas. Too lazy to see if I mentioned in my last post how much I love eggs benedict or whether you just threw that out there, lol. yeah, people complain about the 180 day thing but I LOVE it. makes the magic last that much longer ;)

So good Lisa. We are booked at AKL for October and I will add Bima breakfast to our list. I love a good brunch. We get that last seating and just linger. Haven't been there in a few years for breakfast. I'm doing the Wave breakfast buffet for my birthday meal. A quick morning at MK for some time on Main Street, buy myself a balloon and then off to brunch and birthday cake! Looking forward to the wrap up. Keep 'em coming!

MMM Brunch just might be my favorite meal too (I also am well known to make an omelette for dinner too, I actually prefer that kind of food later in the day). Report back on the Wave, it is on my bucket list (as you see!) Sounds like a perfectly lovely birthday. I have been really bad about finishing up, I am avoiding a bit of work at the moment because it was a rushed/crazy morning but I really need to finish this thing off!

I do love Boma, breakfast & dinner. Can't wait to eat there again! Interested to see which breakfast edged this one out!

You will just have to stay tuned! lol

It took me awhile to read up your wonderful reviews. We (DS13 and me) are actually doing DxDP for the first time this upcoming trip for the three nights while we are at AKL and OOP rest of the trip also. While it probably is lots of food since we are small eaters, when doing cost analysis, it just makes sense to do DxDP since the credits will be spread out among 4 days.

It's interesting to see what you did with your DxDP for me personally because I'm doing the same with my kiddo. Thank you for sharing your experience!

I am considering doing DxDDP for my next trip just because of how good the value is with the kiddo. We'll have 3 nights but won't arrive until late on Thursday night BUT my parents are joining us on sunday so I was kind of thinking on Friday doing morning EMH at MK and then late CP breakfast/early CP lunch (2 TS), then sharing a meal at CA Grill later (2 TS) before returning to the parks. Then next day PPO GG, sharing 1TS for lunch, sharing 2TS for dinner at Le Cellier (or even reversed from that). I think we can fit 3 meals into our epcot day if we're going from 8am to 9pm, it is a LONG day and the break will be appreciated I think. Then following day PPO BoG for 2ts, sharing 1ts maybe at skipper canteen for lunch and then using 6TS for Yachtsman with my parents. 3 apps and 3 mains should be plenty for all of us, i figure my dad will order what he wants, my kid will get his filet, mom and I can share and we can get the desserts wrapped up for later. Assuming like a 10% increase from 2017 it would be about $450 for all that food. My parents are VERY basic eaters or else my butt would be at flying fish. They are traveling thta day and will likely be too wiped to go to the parks but my mom was considering 1 day tickets just for the evening and I talked them into an illuminations cruise instead... dad does not like crowds and travel is hard on him the older he gets so having our own boat to see what is my absolutely favorite thing in all of WDW from my favorite spot sounds just about perfect, and it's "only" $100 more than 2-1 day tickets for them. But I digress, the quick math shows we'd probably spend about $240 on the same meal at yachtsman so I feel like another $200 for basically 7 meals is a bargain (plus all of the snacks). I will say that sharing 1ts on the dxddp definitely makes it easier on you for more meals. We are doing such LONG days, from PPO/EMH to close that I think we can fit the 3 meals in when one of them is 8am.

Looks like a great breakfast at Boma, though I'll have to forgive you on the bobtie. Total fan here :-) We got to try Boma for the first time on our last trip and really enjoyed it. Especially all the pog juice :drinking1

Yeah I am a little embarrassed at my addiction to that stuff! Thanks for the forgiveness! I could have drank the boma mustard though ;) (maybe I should not have shared that lol)

I'm zipping through your report, but had to stop and tell you that I think your kid may be my kid. I do eat the occasional baked potato (only if it's mashed up and with a lot of butter), and I love mashed potatoes, but I also turn down steak fries on a regular occasion because they're "too potatoey". Now back to enjoy your report...

Well I am not much for steak fries myself for that reason (the texture just gets weird) but these fries that had "too much potato" were amazing fries, just maybe 2x as big as mcdonalds on a side, but still not too much potato. Kid has recently started eating mashed potatoes too (it was a hard no til recently). But if you want to test that theory and borrow him for a long weekend or something I am game ;)

I just binge read your amazing report and just love it :thumbsup2. Your son is totally adorable! I also have an 8 yr old son and little boys are so cute and fun at this age. My DS15 has autism and I can relate to what it's like to have a very picky eater. He still has sensory sensitivities and there are things he won't allow to go near his mouth, but his tastes and tolerances have definitely expanded. Some of your reviewed meals are on our must do list for our next trip - definitely Sci Fi, either 'Ohana breakfast or Garden Grill breakfast (we've decided to only do one character meal on our next trip), and California Grill (will be celebrating my 40th b-day on our next trip and that will be our dinner without our kiddos, lol!). We had a Boma breakfast ADR that we ended up cancelling back on our 2013 trip and now I'm kicking myself :laughing:.

aww thanks :) Yes it is perfect Disney age which is why I try my best to get him there as much as I can swing. I love your lineup, all of my favorites! I would probably put 'Ohana and GG breakfast pretty much equal so it really just depends which characters you prefer/what fits into your schedule better. I personally am planning to indulge in the 8am GG into Soarin' strategy!

well time to get back to work. Maybe tomorrow night I will get to 'Ohana dinner!

I am considering doing DxDDP for my next trip just because of how good the value is with the kiddo. We'll have 3 nights but won't arrive until late on Thursday night BUT my parents are joining us on sunday so I was kind of thinking on Friday doing morning EMH at MK and then late CP breakfast/early CP lunch (2 TS), then sharing a meal at CA Grill later (2 TS) before returning to the parks. Then next day PPO GG, sharing 1TS for lunch, sharing 2TS for dinner at Le Cellier (or even reversed from that). I think we can fit 3 meals into our epcot day if we're going from 8am to 9pm, it is a LONG day and the break will be appreciated I think. Then following day PPO BoG for 2ts, sharing 1ts maybe at skipper canteen for lunch and then using 6TS for Yachtsman with my parents. 3 apps and 3 mains should be plenty for all of us, i figure my dad will order what he wants, my kid will get his filet, mom and I can share and we can get the desserts wrapped up for later. Assuming like a 10% increase from 2017 it would be about $450 for all that food. My parents are VERY basic eaters or else my butt would be at flying fish. They are traveling thta day and will likely be too wiped to go to the parks but my mom was considering 1 day tickets just for the evening and I talked them into an illuminations cruise instead... dad does not like crowds and travel is hard on him the older he gets so having our own boat to see what is my absolutely favorite thing in all of WDW from my favorite spot sounds just about perfect, and it's "only" $100 more than 2-1 day tickets for them. But I digress, the quick math shows we'd probably spend about $240 on the same meal at yachtsman so I feel like another $200 for basically 7 meals is a bargain (plus all of the snacks). I will say that sharing 1ts on the dxddp definitely makes it easier on you for more meals. We are doing such LONG days, from PPO/EMH to close that I think we can fit the 3 meals in when one of them is 8am.

We will be doing something very similar to you plan. For example, we are just going to use 2TS credit at Cali Grill dinner and will order a extra sushi plate and share the meal. At Via Napoli, we will use 1TS credit and order an extra personal pizza. We were able to have 3 signature ADRs and basically 2 TS meals/day for all 4 days (3 nights worth DXDP) with this kind of method and will be plenty of food for us. We are small eaters anyways but we like TS as to CS. I really wanted to try brunch at Cali Grill and also I hate waiting in lines (and we are going during spring break :scared1:) so ROL package was a must this trip since we haven't seen it yet. Also DS requested we do Jiko (because of their fillet with mac&cheese). When I just added up all the cost for those three meals, we were somewhere near $400 so spending extra $220 for DxDP and adding 3 more TS and plus all the snack and resort mug (since I need lots of coffee in the morning) just made sense. I thought I would probably never get DxDP (because it truly is lots of food) since we usually get TiW but this year with AP discounts and I don't usually get adult beverages, it's really hard to break even with TiW. At the end of the day, I think we will save around $200 with DxDP than paying OOP for all those meals. Now I just need to wait till tomorrow to start our vacay!!!:angel:

We will be doing something very similar to you plan. For example, we are just going to use 2TS credit at Cali Grill dinner and will order a extra sushi plate and share the meal. At Via Napoli, we will use 1TS credit and order an extra personal pizza. We were able to have 3 signature ADRs and basically 2 TS meals/day for all 4 days (3 nights worth DXDP) with this kind of method and will be plenty of food for us. We are small eaters anyways but we like TS as to CS. I really wanted to try brunch at Cali Grill and also I hate waiting in lines (and we are going during spring break :scared1:) so ROL package was a must this trip since we haven't seen it yet. Also DS requested we do Jiko (because of their fillet with mac&cheese). When I just added up all the cost for those three meals, we were somewhere near $400 so spending extra $220 for DxDP and adding 3 more TS and plus all the snack and resort mug (since I need lots of coffee in the morning) just made sense. I thought I would probably never get DxDP (because it truly is lots of food) since we usually get TiW but this year with AP discounts and I don't usually get adult beverages, it's really hard to break even with TiW. At the end of the day, I think we will save around $200 with DxDP than paying OOP for all those meals. Now I just need to wait till tomorrow to start our vacay!!!:angel:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

you get 5 banana dances for being so close to your vacation! yay! I will look for your dining report (now you are on the hook). I have not been reading other ones as I need to get mine done and not go down the rabbit hole of other ones... So now it's motivation!

DAY 7: Rest day and 'Ohana Dinner
So today, unlike our last "rest day" spent on our feet at Disney Springs was a true rest day. I had it planned to basically just be at the pool. As you all know, the Poly is an absolutely GORGEOUS resort and it is pretty much the idea place for a vacation day of rest by the pool. The only slight bummer is that after a week of temperatures in the upper 80's (no joke, in freaking December!) a cold front came through and the high was supposed to be 68. Not as nice as in the 80's for the pool but Disney does, in fact, heat their pools and we live in New England in a beach town and spend all summer long at the beach and I'm not sure the water temp gets as high as 68 until late August... so 80 degree water temps even with 68 air temps was still lovely for us. I mean really lovely. I know people from the south might find this intolerable but we hung out in the pool and my only regret was that with our late breakfast and early 'Ohana dinner planned it was too short a day. If I ever manage to stay at the Poly again for an extended visit (our next trip is only 2.5 days in the parks before a cruise so we will be doing the park commando thing) I am going to plan a couple of days just to enjoy the resort and the pool and have NOTHING planned after. But since we had a 3:30 'Ohana we had to leave there by 1:30 and the kid was not happy about only spending a couple of hours at the pool. He of course cheered up but it was really the only time he gave me flack about something and I felt kind of a little guilty about not just going with the flow at that point, but I really wanted to go to 'Ohana and we had MVMCP that night so I kept us on schedule.

Here are a couple of pool shots, showing what a lovely pool and a lovely day it was. Upshot of it being on the cooler side is I think most people did not consider this a prime pool day and it was quite empty.

20161208_130324_zpsoahmvb3c.jpg

Action shot of the kid coming down the slide (he made me go down several times too. "made me" haha)

20161208_140604_001_zpsxesel1jb.jpg

you can even kind of see the huge grin. I am still wistful for cutting this part of our vacation short. But we had food to eat and as you all know, the struggle is real!

So we went back and showered and got dressed for the Christmas party and came down to 'Ohana. Here is a shot of the pretty poly christmas tree - not as huge and grand as some but I grabbed a shot anyway:

20161208_113208_zpsx89f8e08.jpg

So anyway in my review of 'Ohana I will address the major criticisms of this restaurant. 'Ohana is one of those polarizing restaurants... people either LOVE it or HATE it. I have been going on and off for the better part of the last two decades, once every few years it seems and my last trip there was prob about 6 years ago. I have been through several menu changes and was looking forward to trying the most recent menu. As you know it is a really hard ADR to get but I was able to score one after it not being loaded initially at 180 days and checking until they were.

Criticism #1 of 'Ohana: They are always running late and you have to wait well past your ADR

As I've said many times, I have a strong preference for being in first seating when a restaurant opens and this is no exception. I know 3:30 might be a bit early for most but the timing was great for MVMCP for us so I was happy to grab the early time. We got there right at 3:30, checked in and were seated within a couple of minutes. No wait, no muss, no fuss, perfect (and even unrequested) window table. Here is our view from the table. If you are not the "go with the flow" type about seating times and such I recommend going early because the restaurant was mostly empty and it was very very low key.

20161208_154430_zpsxbx1auxs.jpg

as you see it had gotten quite a bit more overcast since our swim time. It was fine, it never rained so it was all good. Here we are at our table in our fancy christmas party duds:

20161208_154117_zpsk6ibukbr.jpg

Criticism #2 of 'Ohana: the service is hit or miss

Again, I don't think any servers STRIVE to be inattentive, it just happens when they get slammed during the busier part of the evening. The restaurant was kind of empty when we got there and our servers were super attentive. One thing I didn't remember from before is we actually had a team of servers... one took care of the sides and wings and that stuff and the main server took care of the meats. Honestly service was perfect for a place like that, they were always there when we needed them and not naggy or annoying when we didn't.

So upon sitting down we were brought the bread, but the butter was missing... the hostess ran back and got some and stuck an umbrella in it for our trouble:

20161208_155053_zpsmzctuat2.jpg

So this is bread. And butter. It is not super yummy deliciousness like the bread at breakfast. It is bread. and there is so much other good food, I highly recommend taking a hard pass on it. The kid ate a piece and it wasn't the best bread ever and food came out pretty quickly so we didn't eat much of this.

I got another "Island Sunset" too... I really wanted the lapu lapu but after reading reports of how much booze is in it and knowing I have the tolerance of an 88 lb 17 year old girl, I decided to go with something a lot less boozy. Also I hate being buzzed while I am responsible with my kid. Honestly when he starts to harsh my buzz (AND HE WILL... I love him but it is inevitable) it makes me cranky. So better to just not get buzzed in the first place and happily have the day be all about him. But someday I will have the lapulapu, maybe from room service on our next trip in the evening after he has gone to sleep so I can be happy and buzzed in peace and quiet. Anyway the drink was good and refreshing and had just enough buzz during dinner that was gone by dessert and just right for a night of partying at the MK:

20161208_155236_zpsij4ubx96.jpg

I also love how these things come slightly melty because you mix it up with your straw and it is the PERFECT texture for drinking... not like when you get a slushie and suck out all of the flavor and are stuck with the ice. Good to the last drop.

So also with the bread came the salad. I love salad and the picky kid does not do veggies so I had this all to myself. You all are going to think I am a freaking weirdo but here goes: This was honestly one of the most lovely self indulgent moments of the vacation. I had this huge salad to myself and was not sharing with anyone and I could make myself a plate picking out the good stuff and leaving most of the lettuce behind. I like this salad a lot and maybe it is a waste of "stomach space" but it was lovely and COLD and crunchy and fresh and not overdressed and any salad with minimal lettuce is good by me.. I did toss it a bit but didn't feel one iota of guilt having mostly "stuff."

20161208_155218_zpspwqdgtyl.jpg

While I was munching salad and sipping my drinkie-poo and the kid was eating bread and sucking down apple juice like there is no tomorrow, our server came by and asked if the kiddo needed anything special. I requested some mac and cheese as a side for him knowing he would not likely like the noodles or potstickers (although fried dumplings are a recent thing that he NOW likes, woohoo! but back then no) and it was noted and came out with the appetizers.

It wasn't long after I was done with the salad that the pan of noodles, veggies, potstickers and wings showed up:

20161208_160218_zpsdh1gf390.jpg

the noodles were good but as I suspected, the kid didn't like them. They were kind of basic and plain, about what you'd expect and I enjoyed them as a side with all the MEAT. The veggies were delicious, lovely and crispy and stir fried just the way I like them. Note that if you like mushy veggies you won't like these... I have seen reviews stating they are undercooked and no... they are cooked the way they are supposed to. The potstickers were perfect too, I think they deep fry them so hard to go wrong with an all over perfect crispy coating, right? The wings were kind of meh though, the skin was not crispy (strike 1) and I found the coriander flavor to be overwhelming(strike 2). This was kind of a bummer as I remember LOVING these wings but maybe just a bad night... did did not like them either and I suspect it was for the same two reasons (if I find the coriander too much he will REALLY find it too much). When the assistant server came and asked if we wanted anything more from that plate I asked him if they had wings that were actually crispy and he kind of looked at me like I had sprouted a horn and said "Ummm I think they were all made at the same time so probably not??" So I let it drop. As you know, there is WAY more food than you can eat here anyway so I was not really missing the wings.

20161208_155448_zpsfeqwupnu.jpg

the mac and cheese came out with it and I served some out to the kid before taking the picture. As you can see, it is standard disney mac and cheese... which is just fine by the kid to be perfectly honest. Also you can see he was shredding the bread rather than eating it, so it must not have been very good because the kid loves bread (but is also picky about texture and won't eat "soft" bread like supermarket bread... so bakery sourdough it is in this household!)

I just gave him a little because he was whining about being hungry but I wanted him to eat the rest of the food so just enough to plug up the whining. He turned out to not eat that much of this ultimately and a lot was left. A small bowl would have been PLENTY.

Criticism #3 of 'Ohana: All of the food comes at once.
I have seen and I don't understand why people complain about this. Like, I don't want to sit and fill up on noodles and veggies and not get any meat. I want to eat it all together. So I dished out the noodles, veggies, wings and potstickers for myself and tried a wing and by the time the wing was done, the meat had arrived. So to me, this is a feature and not a bug but I guess different strokes for different folks, I have seen this posted about 'Ohana by more than one person. I like getting the food all at once and tucking into the feast on my plate. Also because the food came all together like that, I am able to post a pretty nicely composed 'Ohana plate without it looking like a dog's breakfast like so many do (no offense to anyone who posts their half eaten plates but I often see these posted with an apology but it is due to the timing of the food. Since ours all came at once this is what I was looking at... notice no wing!)

20161208_161208_zpsjj6nfmu7.jpg

uh YUM. that's all I have to say. Yum yum yummy yum yum. Starting at 12'oclock are the potstickers. YUM. Then the shrimp, chicken, veggies and noddles. Steak in the middle. I got about 1 bite of my first round steak before the kid had plowed through his, declared that the chicken had the "texture of snot" but he "sure could use more of that steak" and took mine. Chicken thigh texture is a bit problematic for the kid but I don't mind it (and no it doesn't have the texture of snot) but he LOVED the steak. It is not filet or anything but they were nice, clean cuts of steak with no tendon or gristle or anything he would find texturally offensive with a yummy teriyaki style sauce. It was also cooked pretty much medium, maybe slightly on the medium rare side of medium, which is his preference (and mine with less expensive cuts). Luckily as I said before our waitress was pretty attentive and was back by to see if we needed anything within a few minutes and I was able to score more steak... and the kid got like another 5 or 6 pieces after eating his first "let's try this" piece and my two pieces. I kind of expected him to start mooing after this trip but he didn't. So the kid ate his weight in steak and mac and cheese (are you noticing a theme here?) and loved it... as evidenced by his face being smeared with sauce and his big goofy grin:

20161208_162519_zpsnmhdw5ey.jpg

that is a steak and mac and cheese buzz if I ever saw one.

I enjoyed all of it. The chicken was perfectly cooked and I do prefer thigh. The veggies were crisp and perfectly seasoned. Everything was pretty strong tasting so a bite with some noodles and some meat was really balanced. The steak as I said before weas great. The shrimp were the highlight though, I remember when they were those HUGE prawns and always seemed kind of tough. These were the perfect size and cooked to PERFECTION. Sweet and fresh and tender. I still dream about these shrimp honestly. But this was so much food I didn't end up getting seconds and I wish I had because then maybe I would not be dreaming about those shrimp still. That was the biggest surprise for me honestly, they are smaller than they used to be but oh so delicious.

Criticism of 'Ohana #4: It's loud and chaotic.

Yes, yes it is. If that is not your bag, get the room service or go to Kona. The kid did the coconut races and it was crazy but also fun and if you don't want fun then find somewhere else to be ;)

20161208_163202_zpsh1usntuk.jpg

actually to be perfectly honest, this was the only time it was loud and chaotic. The rest of the time everyone seemed too busy stuffing their faces to be talking too much. It's not a quiet, romantic dinner but for most of the meal it was no louder than any other restaurant of its size I've ever been to.

So basically after being good and not asking for seconds because I didn't want to be overly full for an evening at the MK, it was time for dessert (aka "blow that plan out of the water.") I remember when they used to have pineapple with caramel sauce for dessert (anyone remember that?). and it was good. but this is awesome. All of my crap about not being a dessert person went out the window because this stuff is THE BOMB. I absolutely love the 'Ohana bread pudding and the kid was really interested in trying it too so I resisted the urge to stab his hand with my fork and let him have some.

20161208_164806_zpsrperibp8.jpg

This is the best dessert we had all week HANDS DOWN. The bready bread pudding is not too sweet but punctuated by the bananas foster sauce and the ice cream and it's just heaven on a plate. I managed to put half of this big serving away BY MYSELF and if you notice that I only ever had a bite or two of any other dessert, that is saying something.

In addition to sharing my bread pudding the kid was also brought a kid's dessert, which he much preferred to the bread pudding.

20161208_164729_zps4zorfnnp.jpg

he declared this the best dessert of the trip too. Brownies are his favorite chocolate delivery method and what looks like frosting is actually marshmallow... and m&m's. this was a total dessert win for him.

So for us, 'Ohana was a huge win. The only thing I wish is that we had taken more time in the pool, then gone to 'Ohana and ate my weight in shrimp, then went back to lay around the pool. I was cramming a LOT into our trip and I was cognizant of not overdoing it in the food department and ruining the evening by having to walk around feeling so full, but I kind of wish I could have gone all out in gluttonous glory and then just lie around like a beached whale. Don't get me wrong, we had an awesome time at MVMCP too and I did manage to not overdo it to the point of being uncomfortably full as we walked so it was fine but dang I wanted more shrimp, lol.

The other thing is that I booked my 3 FP+ from 4:30-5:30, 5:30-6:30 and 6:30-7:30 thinking that 2 hours from start of dinner at 'Ohana to end of FP+ window would be enough time but it really wasn't. We ended up showing up to Peter Pan at around 5:45 and we were allowed on the ride so it was all good but it was a pretty tight window. I figured the meal would take more like an hour given that it was self paced and all and the service was so quick but it still took closer to 90 minutes all told. So just keep that in mind if stacking this meal with another event. But seriously, I know some people say 'Ohana has gone downhill but having lived through the turkey breast and pineapple phase of this meal, shrimp and bread pudding are MUCH MUCH MUCH better. I will continue to enjoy 'Ohana but I think this is a sometimes meal, made better by not going EVERY SINGLE TRIP. IMO familiarity breeds contempt and when you have a stellar meal it is a good idea to take a break and let the longing build a while lest your next experience not live up to your last.

So there we have it... but as I mentioned, today is not over. Next we have MVMCP and the Fireworks Dessert party. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

That meal looked great. Nice to get a pool day in. I sometimes think my kids prefer the pool to the parks.

We steer clear of Ohana because of the peanut sauce. My daughter has a life threatening peanut allergy so sitting in a restaurant surrounded by people/surfaces covered in peanuts makes me a little twitchy.

Yay, another review of a restaurant we have planned for our trip! We're going on arrival day (when we are not visiting a park), so we should have some time to lounge by the pool a bit and then head to our 6:20pm supper. There is talk of also having a Dole Whip "digestif," but I don't know how any of us will find room.

I recall that pineapple with caramel sauce, and the Maui scalloped potatoes, those were so good. I vaguely also remember some sort of fish served on banana leaf? Or am I nuts?

Thank you so much for this. I love your reviews. We also have a DS on the spectrum, whose pickiness is extremely specific. He is getting better, but, it is great reading reviews with an eye on this (and a feel for how stressful this can be if his meal is wrong, after all the thought and planning)

'Ohana :cloud9:....we ate dinner here on our trip prior to our most recent one and I will go back there just for that bread pudding :laughing:. I love your Mickey tie dye shirts :thumbsup2.

Yummmmm...that dinner really looks great. Sean and I are having breakfast there in September but I'll have to put dinner on the agenda one of these days!

I love your writing style, you are far funnier than I could ever attempt to be!

As I've said many times, I have a strong preference for being in first seating when a restaurant opens and this is no exception. I know 3:30 might be a bit early for most but the timing was great for MVMCP for us so I was happy to grab the early time. We got there right at 3:30, checked in and were seated within a couple of minutes. No wait, no muss, no fuss, perfect (and even unrequested) window table. Here is our view from the table. If you are not the "go with the flow" type about seating times and such I recommend going early because the restaurant was mostly empty and it was very very low key.

I totally agree. We did 3:30 once when they first opened up the earlier hours and it was perfect. We seem to always get a 6-7 PM slot where they're running so far behind, or a 9:30 PM slot where you're literally going to bed with 2 lbs of shrimp in your belly. I like the 3:30 because you can kinda just merge lunch/dinner all into one and still enjoy your evening.

Adorable!!

Criticism #2 of 'Ohana: the service is hit or miss

Again, I don't think any servers STRIVE to be inattentive, it just happens when they get slammed during the busier part of the evening. The restaurant was kind of empty when we got there and our servers were super attentive. One thing I didn't remember from before is we actually had a team of servers... one took care of the sides and wings and that stuff and the main server took care of the meats. Honestly service was perfect for a place like that, they were always there when we needed them and not naggy or annoying when we didn't.

I have had such hit/miss service here, too! Again why the 3:30 is a pretty good seating time!

So upon sitting down we were brought the bread, but the butter was missing... the hostess ran back and got some and stuck an umbrella in it for our trouble:

So we've been there more times than I'd like to admit in the last three years, and recently, meaning like in the last 3 trips, we haven't received butter either. Once I was told they don't do butter, and a couple times they've apologized it and brought it. It makes that dry bread so much better (although I love the bread!)

So also with the bread came the salad. I love salad and the picky kid does not do veggies so I had this all to myself. You all are going to think I am a freaking weirdo but here goes: This was honestly one of the most lovely self indulgent moments of the vacation. I had this huge salad to myself and was not sharing with anyone and I could make myself a plate picking out the good stuff and leaving most of the lettuce behind. I like this salad a lot and maybe it is a waste of "stomach space" but it was lovely and COLD and crunchy and fresh and not overdressed and any salad with minimal lettuce is good by me.. I did toss it a bit but didn't feel one iota of guilt having mostly "stuff."

Ha!! I love that salad too. The dressing and the toppings make it. It doesn't even need lettuce.

Note that if you like mushy veggies you won't like these... I have seen reviews stating they are undercooked and no... they are cooked the way they are supposed to

I agree!! I have never had mushy ones there.. they always do them just right.

PERFECTION. I am totally one of those people that doesn't like when they rush me, but my husband is known to put away 12 potstickers so I think we just prefer the slower pace and not having everything on our plate at once. However, I like your style of having bites of everything accessible at one time. Also makes for a much cleaner photo w/o chicken leg carcasses in the background.

I got about 1 bite of my first round steak before the kid had plowed through his, declared that the chicken had the "texture of snot" but he "sure could use more of that steak" and took mine.

I am rolling. That kid is a steak connoisseur!

that is a steak and mac and cheese buzz if I ever saw one.

Oh my gosh :love:

This is dessert perfection!!!

I know some people say 'Ohana has gone downhill but having lived through the turkey breast and pineapple phase of this meal, shrimp and bread pudding are MUCH MUCH MUCH better. I will continue to enjoy 'Ohana but I think this is a sometimes meal, made better by not going EVERY SINGLE TRIP. IMO familiarity breeds contempt and when you have a stellar meal it is a good idea to take a break and let the longing build a while lest your next experience not live up to your last.

Turkey breast and pineapple phase! Wah! Our first time they had done away w/ salad and did the lettuce cups. So I guess I've lived through the (short-lived) lettuce cup phase. I 100% agree with your sentiment of not going every single time. We went in January after not having been in a year (but still going every single trip) and that's exactly what we said upon leaving. It's wonderful, but it isn't an every trip kind of thing. Needless to say we've got it booked for July and after reading this, I'm so excited!

I really wanted the lapu lapu but after reading reports of how much booze is in it and knowing I have the tolerance of an 88 lb 17 year old girl, I decided to go with something a lot less boozy.

That right there is why I will try to talk my husband into getting it/sharing it someday, because by myself? He would have to carry me out of the restaurant.

While I was munching salad and sipping my drinkie-poo and the kid was eating bread and sucking down apple juice like there is no tomorrow, our server came by and asked if the kiddo needed anything special. I requested some mac and cheese as a side for him knowing he would not likely like the noodles or potstickers (although fried dumplings are a recent thing that he NOW likes, woohoo! but back then no) and it was noted and came out with the appetizers.

I love that they did this! We will have our 20 month son with us this trip, so maybe we can get some mac & cheese for him. He sometimes will eat whatever we sit in front of him, but then we have nights like last night when he ate mostly cornbread.

Criticism #3 of 'Ohana: All of the food comes at once.

I think this criticism, at least for me, is because it is kind of overwhelming. I want to eat it all and I don't know where to start.

I got about 1 bite of my first round steak before the kid had plowed through his, declared that the chicken had the "texture of snot" but he "sure could use more of that steak" and took mine. Chicken thigh texture is a bit problematic for the kid but I don't mind it (and no it doesn't have the texture of snot) but he LOVED the steak. It is not filet or anything but they were nice, clean cuts of steak with no tendon or gristle or anything he would find texturally offensive with a yummy teriyaki style sauce. It was also cooked pretty much medium, maybe slightly on the medium rare side of medium, which is his preference (and mine with less expensive cuts).

First of all, :rotfl2:at "texture of snot". The steak is going to be way undercooked for my mom if it is on the medium rare side of medium. She's not a huge red meat fan, though, so at least she has plenty of choices!

So the kid ate his weight in steak and mac and cheese (are you noticing a theme here?) and loved it... as evidenced by his face being smeared with sauce and his big goofy grin:

that is a steak and mac and cheese buzz if I ever saw one

LOVE this picture!!!

20161208_164729_zps4zorfnnp.jpg

he declared this the best dessert of the trip too. Brownies are his favorite chocolate delivery method and what looks like frosting is actually marshmallow... and m&m's. this was a total dessert win for him.

Oh man! I want this dessert! I don't like bananas, nor do I like bread pudding, so I don't love their dessert. (I know, I know...blasphemy.) That, however, as long as it is a brownie and not cake, looks splendid!

I will continue to enjoy 'Ohana but I think this is a sometimes meal, made better by not going EVERY SINGLE TRIP. IMO familiarity breeds contempt and when you have a stellar meal it is a good idea to take a break and let the longing build a while lest your next experience not live up to your last.

'Ohana is one of our favorites, but with health problems 2 trips ago and a very last minute trip our last trip, we haven't had a great meal there in a few years. CANNOT WAIT!!!

What a special and wonderful trip! I loved your reivews. More importantly, I think your boy is absolutely adorable. I think when you explained how much better he did at the Jedi Academy this trip my heart just melted. I cherish each and every memory with my Dis Babies who are now Dis Teens. It is so funny - they have no interest what so ever in Universal. They are Disney kids through and through. Thanks again for sharing your special time with your sweet son. You are truly blessed.

I LOVE your commentary! You are so detailed in your review of each item which is exactly what I'm looking for in a dining review.

Those Ohana pictures look delicious! We're going next week and this is exactly what I needed to get all pumped up for it. Looking forward to your next post :)

Looks like a great rest day. You are so right the Poly pool is the perfect vacation spot. Sad we won't be getting there this year.

So happy Ohana treated you both so well. I did it once like 20 years ago but we haven't been back. I consider it every once in a while as the food looks so good, but the hubby isn't a fan of AYCTE places

Hi Lisa!
I'm months late for your report but I'm loving it! (Haven't been on the DIS in ages...)
I remember all the questions you had while planning the trip and it looks like you got some good answers because aside from Narcoossee's, all your meals look great!
You and your son are so sweet. I love all the pictures.
And I kept scrolling and laughing because I had quite a few of the same meals you did when I was there in October :-)
(I may write a delayed DR sometime soon...)

Loving it, keep up the good work! :D

Oh, my goodness...this was so much fun to read! You and "the kid" are both adorable. Thanks for posting! I <3 Ohana. I have it planned for my upcoming trip but don't think I have the guts to follow through solo! ;)

That meal looked great. Nice to get a pool day in. I sometimes think my kids prefer the pool to the parks.

We steer clear of Ohana because of the peanut sauce. My daughter has a life threatening peanut allergy so sitting in a restaurant surrounded by people/surfaces covered in peanuts makes me a little twitchy.

It was great! He definitely prefers the parks to the pool but once he was in the pool an hour and a half or two hours was not enough. Bummer about the peanuts but yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Yay, another review of a restaurant we have planned for our trip! We're going on arrival day (when we are not visiting a park), so we should have some time to lounge by the pool a bit and then head to our 6:20pm supper. There is talk of also having a Dole Whip "digestif," but I don't know how any of us will find room.

yeah um... no. if you do you will surprise me. I went intentionally kind of easy but still even with that there is no way I was ready to eat anything for a while after!

I recall that pineapple with caramel sauce, and the Maui scalloped potatoes, those were so good. I vaguely also remember some sort of fish served on banana leaf? Or am I nuts?

I don't remember the fish on a banana leaf... wondering if that was the luau maybe? But I don't know. We really only went every so often but I haven't minded the menu changes over the years. this one is probably my favorite iteration to be quite honest but I'd eat steak and shrimp over turkey and pork any day of the week... and bread pudding over pineapple (raw pineapple makes my mouth itch).

Thank you so much for this. I love your reviews. We also have a DS on the spectrum, whose pickiness is extremely specific. He is getting better, but, it is great reading reviews with an eye on this (and a feel for how stressful this can be if his meal is wrong, after all the thought and planning)

I know they are all different, but what I love about Disney (reason #62,582) is just how well I can feed my picky child there... with a pretty big variety. And also how accommodating they are on mixing and matching stuff. Steak and mac and cheese is his #1 request at home now! The local butcher makes "petite sirloin filets" where they tie these little sirloins up like filets... I salt liberally and grill and add a tiny bit of butter and an instant kraft mac on the side and in about 10 minutes and for about $5 we can have "CA Grill lite" at home.

'Ohana :cloud9:....we ate dinner here on our trip prior to our most recent one and I will go back there just for that bread pudding :laughing:. I love your Mickey tie dye shirts :thumbsup2.
Thanks, I got them on etsy. Highlight of the trip. Wonder if it would be silly to wear them when we go back end of February in 2018? lol

I am really enjoying your report !
Thank you! I am enjoying reliving my trip through food!
This looks amazing! We are going for the first time in September. I can't wait.

My DD is going to looooooovvvvveeeee this!

Everything was soooo good. I sometimes dream about that meal!

Yummmmm...that dinner really looks great. Sean and I are having breakfast there in September but I'll have to put dinner on the agenda one of these days!
You should! and go earlier rather than later... trust me, it will be better for everyone!

I love your writing style, you are far funnier than I could ever attempt to be!
aw thanks, you are too kind. I think I just kind of talk too much and then write like I talk ;)

I totally agree. We did 3:30 once when they first opened up the earlier hours and it was perfect. We seem to always get a 6-7 PM slot where they're running so far behind, or a 9:30 PM slot where you're literally going to bed with 2 lbs of shrimp in your belly. I like the 3:30 because you can kinda just merge lunch/dinner all into one and still enjoy your evening.
Yup, I try to think of it like a "sunday dinner" kind of experience!

Adorable!!

I have had such hit/miss service here, too! Again why the 3:30 is a pretty good seating time!
I don't think any server sets out to be bad but that when things get crazy (and they do there the way they seem to seat tons of people at once) that the less good servers start to have trouble when it gets nutty... when everyone is fresh it matters less I think, as most of them do try!

So we've been there more times than I'd like to admit in the last three years, and recently, meaning like in the last 3 trips, we haven't received butter either. Once I was told they don't do butter, and a couple times they've apologized it and brought it. It makes that dry bread so much better (although I love the bread!)
butter makes everything better!)

Ha!! I love that salad too. The dressing and the toppings make it. It doesn't even need lettuce.
true but I bet it makes the rest stretch!

I agree!! I have never had mushy ones there.. they always do them just right.
loves me some stir fried veggies!

PERFECTION. I am totally one of those people that doesn't like when they rush me, but my husband is known to put away 12 potstickers so I think we just prefer the slower pace and not having everything on our plate at once. However, I like your style of having bites of everything accessible at one time. Also makes for a much cleaner photo w/o chicken leg carcasses in the background.
you know you read too many reviews when you're composing your 'Ohana plate for the pic! I did not feel "rushed" i just like to have it all there to mix and match as I choose.

I am rolling. That kid is a steak connoisseur!
I will take real steak and real chicken over hot dogs and nuggets as a win!

Oh my gosh :love:
I know, he is so cute he kills me :)

This is dessert perfection!!!
it truly is (for me lol)

Turkey breast and pineapple phase! Wah! Our first time they had done away w/ salad and did the lettuce cups. So I guess I've lived through the (short-lived) lettuce cup phase. I 100% agree with your sentiment of not going every single time. We went in January after not having been in a year (but still going every single trip) and that's exactly what we said upon leaving. It's wonderful, but it isn't an every trip kind of thing. Needless to say we've got it booked for July and after reading this, I'm so excited!

haha I want to go back too but our next trip is short, it will be more rides than gluttony.
That right there is why I will try to talk my husband into getting it/sharing it someday, because by myself? He would have to carry me out of the restaurant.
lol this is going to be a room service thing for me for sure! no carrying required!

I love that they did this! We will have our 20 month son with us this trip, so maybe we can get some mac & cheese for him. He sometimes will eat whatever we sit in front of him, but then we have nights like last night when he ate mostly cornbread.
I have read that they are quite generous even to the non-paying kids... I mean it makes logical sense, they prob just grab a bowl of it from the back and it makes mom and dad want to leave a nice big tip!

I think this criticism, at least for me, is because it is kind of overwhelming. I want to eat it all and I don't know where to start.
lol you'd die at my boyfriend's big fat italian family thanksgiving then!
First of all, :rotfl2:at "texture of snot". The steak is going to be way undercooked for my mom if it is on the medium rare side of medium. She's not a huge red meat fan, though, so at least she has plenty of choices!
I'm pretty sure they have more temperatures available and if you ask for medium to medium well you'll get it... more often i see people complaining about overdone than under. The nice thing about AYCTE is you can just ask for more if what you get i snot to your liking.

LOVE this picture!!!
I love the dirty face!

Oh man! I want this dessert! I don't like bananas, nor do I like bread pudding, so I don't love their dessert. (I know, I know...blasphemy.) That, however, as long as it is a brownie and not cake, looks splendid!
It is a brownie but I can't attest to how cakey it is vs. fudgy since the kid demolished this and I was screening mine :)

'Ohana is one of our favorites, but with health problems 2 trips ago and a very last minute trip our last trip, we haven't had a great meal there in a few years. CANNOT WAIT!!!
hope it is as good for you as it was for us!

What a special and wonderful trip! I loved your reivews. More importantly, I think your boy is absolutely adorable. I think when you explained how much better he did at the Jedi Academy this trip my heart just melted. I cherish each and every memory with my Dis Babies who are now Dis Teens. It is so funny - they have no interest what so ever in Universal. They are Disney kids through and through. Thanks again for sharing your special time with your sweet son. You are truly blessed.

thanks for your sweet words. I am blessed, he is a great kid!

I LOVE your commentary! You are so detailed in your review of each item which is exactly what I'm looking for in a dining review.

Those Ohana pictures look delicious! We're going next week and this is exactly what I needed to get all pumped up for it. Looking forward to your next post :)

I have a lot of opinions. You've had your dinner by now, how was it? I hope great! I know it can be hit and miss! boy i've been gone from this review too long!

Looks like a great rest day. You are so right the Poly pool is the perfect vacation spot. Sad we won't be getting there this year.

So happy Ohana treated you both so well. I did it once like 20 years ago but we haven't been back. I consider it every once in a while as the food looks so good, but the hubby isn't a fan of AYCTE places

Given the choice in a vacuum I will choose to have my meal prepared just for me the way I want it... or carefully crafted by a talented chef the way they feel it should be. but sometimes it's good to just chow down on good, free flowing all you can eat shrimp in a tacky tiki room, with coconut races and a view of the castle and the open grill and all that jazz. I still regret not having more shrimp! But yeah except for breakfast you won't find me in places like liberty tree or garden grill or most dinner buffets either.

Hi Lisa!
I'm months late for your report but I'm loving it! (Haven't been on the DIS in ages...)
I remember all the questions you had while planning the trip and it looks like you got some good answers because aside from Narcoossee's, all your meals look great!
You and your son are so sweet. I love all the pictures.
And I kept scrolling and laughing because I had quite a few of the same meals you did when I was there in October :-)
(I may write a delayed DR sometime soon...)

Loving it, keep up the good work! :D

that's ok, I am so late on replies and so late on finishing it... life intervenes. Yeah all of our meals were from very good to amazeballs besides Narcoossees.

aw thanks, that's so sweet :)

doooo it just don't drag it out like me. BAD disboarder!

Oh, my goodness...this was so much fun to read! You and "the kid" are both adorable. Thanks for posting! I <3 Ohana. I have it planned for my upcoming trip but don't think I have the guts to follow through solo! ;)

Aw thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it. Do it solo! the amount of food will be ridiculous but I would go early and get a table by the window and a big drink in a pineapple and settle in and take your time and enjoy! DOOOO IT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter