• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DH hates Buffets but I want a character meal for us

Stacy's a freak

wrangles snakes
DH has issues with buffets. He is allergic to fin fish (not shellfish - he's the opposite from most people with a seafood allergy) so buffets are usually out because of the possibility of cross contamination. He is also pretty germaphobic so the idea of many people using the spoons, taking food from the same area, etc. ... he just doesn't like buffets. But I want to book a character meal for the 4 of us for February and I would prefer (for me) it to be Mickey, Minnie, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Is breakfast a possibility ? The only fish is usually smoked salmon. From what I have read on the Dis, Disney is very good when dealing with allergies.

I would consider O'hana breakfast (it's AYCTE and served at the table. Characters are Mickey, Pluto, Lilo and Stitch) or Garden Grill (again, AYCTE for all 3 meals, served at the table with Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale). Unless I'm forgetting something, those are the only Mickey meals where they bring the food to you as opposed to a buffet.

What about Garden Grill? It is a character meal, but is served AYCE at the table. They bring you skillets with food, so no one else is touching it but you. And if you let them know about the allergy, there should not be any risk of cross-contamination because they are bringing it out from the kitchen.

Well I know you said you prefer Mickey and Minnie, but I would have to recommend Garden Grill breakfast at The Land. The food is served family style and delicious! There was no fish served at breakfast and Disney is very good with food allergies, so just let your server know ahead of time. Garden Grill features Mickey, Chip & Dale, and Pluto with great character interaction and excellent food. We make early morning reservations so we can walk right on to Soarin' and save the tier 1 FP for the Frozen ride.

'ohana has mickey, pluto, lilo and stitch and garden grill has mickey, pluto, chip and dale. you won't find minnie and the others of the fab 5 except at a buffet. That said it is far more low key and easier (especially on the parents) to do a family style than buffet and perfect for a buffet hater. the food is basic but good (very similar in both) and no fish anywhere on the breakfast menu, but i'd just mention it to your server to be absolutely sure of any cross contamination issues ('ohana only has shellfish but better safe than sorry... I'm not even sure if GG has fish anymore later in the day but again...better safe than sorry!)

buffets are usually out because of the possibility of cross contamination

Just so you know, with allergies the chef will often bring out a plate of food from the back to ensure no cross-contamination.... this addresses the germaphobe issues, too.

Garden Grill. Kids still want to go there even though they are so much older now (15 to 22).

Another option is out of the parks at Trattoria al Forno for breakfast. It's a fixed-price character meal, but appears to be plated dishes, not buffet-stlye.

CRT is also plated style, and it's a character meal for B/L/D.

DH has issues with buffets. He is allergic to fin fish (not shellfish - he's the opposite from most people with a seafood allergy) so buffets are usually out because of the possibility of cross contamination. He is also pretty germaphobic so the idea of many people using the spoons, taking food from the same area, etc. ... he just doesn't like buffets. But I want to book a character meal for the 4 of us for February and I would prefer (for me) it to be Mickey, Minnie, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Trattoria al Forno has a Character Breakfast that's table service.

See:
http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/tr...racter-breakfast-review-at-disneys-boardwalk/

Ohana breakfast & Garden Grill breakfast are both character meals with Mickey that are not buffets.

If you want princesses, Cinderella's Royal Table is not a buffet, and I seem to remember that breakfast at Akershus is partially served family style, so you can skip its buffet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter