Destash 2017 The Year to Clear

Over 50+ clothing items from my DS closet bagged ready for a friend to try on her boys. I am calling a consignment store for my clothes on Monday. I have lost 24 lbs and have 60 pieces of clothing to consign. I cannot wait to move them out of my closet and make some room. Anything not taken will move to my spring yard sale in May. All of those items left over in my yard sale, I will donate. I have a toy closet my DS and I need to clean out. I also need to make a list for my spring cleaning, divide the chores out and create a timeline for completion. I have retired recently but my time is taken up helping care for my parents. I am finally off and running.

The two bags are at my friend's house for her boys to try on. I head to the consignment store with mine in the morning.

I made a list for spring cleaning. I am planning to complete 4 things each week on the list. A did one big one on Saturday and cleaned out my walking in closet. My closet will look even better after I drop off my clothes tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sold 3 skirts on a fb group, but bought 2. LOL
But I live in these skirts and run in them too. So I can justify it.
Next up is taxes. I need to get that done and refile and shred the old tax return that in the *6 file.

Sold 6 cookbooks and a grill last night and dropped off bag of summer dresses at friends for her daughter and dropped off two big garbage bags full of scarves and hats and coats for donation today.

16683930_10208004131253288_9065130265900523997_n.jpg

Sorry, ^^^^^ See above picture. I was trying to add my explanation on this picture and I cannot remove it either. This is what my dh did this weekend. This 4 wheeler has been sitting in our garage for 8 years. Our son used to Moto-cross race. I told my dh to sell it when he no longer raced. He cannot get himself to do it, so he built this shelving above the steps going down into our basement. We had 2 50 gallon drums with race fuel, I made my dh take it to work and they used the gas in some of the equipment at work. My dh cannot let go. Ugg.

The two bags are at my friend's house for her boys to try on. I head to the consignment store with mine in the morning.

I made a list for spring cleaning. I am planning to complete 4 things each week on the list. A did one big one on Saturday and cleaned out my walking in closet. My closet will look even better after I drop off my clothes tomorrow.
My friend took every item in the bags for her boys I made over $235. The consignment shop took all my clothes. I came home with 4 empty shopping bags from both places. The consignment shop pays at the end of the season after the clothes have sold which is fine with me. Love the space in our closets. I did buy myself 2 pairs of capris, 2 tops, and 3 shorts since I had lost weight and dropped a size. However, I dropped off 60+ clothing items from my closet. Still lots of room in my closet.

Last edited:
Sold 6 cookbooks and a grill last night and dropped off bag of summer dresses at friends for her daughter and dropped off two big garbage bags full of scarves and hats and coats for donation today.

Did you sell the cookbooks on a FB yardsale page? Can I ask how much you sold them for? I have several dozen to sell - I used to sell well on Amazon but there haven't been any nibbles for weeks on the ones I have listed there...and mine are priced the lowest for "like new"

Did you sell the cookbooks on a FB yardsale page? Can I ask how much you sold them for? I have several dozen to sell - I used to sell well on Amazon but there haven't been any nibbles for weeks on the ones I have listed there...and mine are priced the lowest for "like new"

I sold them for $5 each on a community facebook page. They were $30+ books. Except for two, I won them at an auction so I didn't actually spend money on them and NEVER used them and they were just taking up space.

Reactions: MEM
Sorry, ^^^^^ See above picture. I was trying to add my explanation on this picture and I cannot remove it either. This is what my dh did this weekend. This 4 wheeler has been sitting in our garage for 8 years. Our son used to Moto-cross race. I told my dh to sell it when he no longer raced. He cannot get himself to do it, so he built this shelving above the steps going down into our basement. We had 2 50 gallon drums with race fuel, I made my dh take it to work and they used the gas in some of the equipment at work. My dh cannot let go. Ugg.

I am there with you. Over the 26 years we have been together DH has gone through several hobbies but kept everything when he lost interest. He begrudgingly agreed to get rid of a bowling ball but insisted on keeping the shoes.

Between illnesses, work, and kids activities I haven't gotten much done. My eldest was gone last weekend and had planned to work on her room but I was too sick to get anything accomplished. One bag of trash and one bag to donate. Didn't even touch the insanity! But it is better than nothing!

I brought home two boxes from work to put kitchen stuff in as I go through and declutter in there. Maybe something that I can get done this weekend in between activities.

Glad to see everyone so productive!

I haven't been on in a little while, but I am subscribed to a decluttering group on FB. I am getting a big donation together for the Salvation Army pickup on Saturday. My kids' sleepover birthday parties are next weekend, so I made a special effort to clear space in the basement. We moved the video games down there before Christmas, and we need space for DS and his friends to play them.

Happy Decluttering, everyone!

I am hoping to get some more done as I am off on Monday and my daughter has school. pixiedust: But I also want to go to the movies so we shall see.

I am there with you. Over the 26 years we have been together DH has gone through several hobbies but kept everything when he lost interest. He begrudgingly agreed to get rid of a bowling ball but insisted on keeping the shoes.
OMG! We still have our bowling balls and shoes. We have not bowled in 27 years, but if we ever did bowl again, my dh would die if he had to wear rental shoes.

I sold them for $5 each on a community facebook page. They were $30+ books. Except for two, I won them at an auction so I didn't actually spend money on them and NEVER used them and they were just taking up space.

I don't use most of mine either but they look nice on the bookshelves in my kitchen - I was thinking $3-4 each since they are EUC. I'm in the Boston area and these New Englanders want "good stuff, cheap".

We went crazy with this this year after reading The Life Changing Art of Tidying Up. We got rid of 45 bags/totes of stuff. Most were donated stuff.... toys, clothes, books, household stuff.... lots of garbage as well. We still have 2 totes full of stuff to sell. It amazing how clean I've been able to keep my house.

I agree with coats and purses and for me I have shoes that are an issue as well. I developed foot problems ( planter fasci) so I have not been able to wear since then. We live in south Florida and have not been to the snow in about 8 yrs but I still have DH and my snow gear-coats, boots,..thankfully the kids outgrew theirs so I was able to get rid of them.

If you've ever thought about vacationing someplace like Colorado in the winter, you might need your snow gear!

I was doing great in January and then February has knocked me off. I have a lot of stuff that I'm ready to part with, but haven't physically removed from my house. I need to get on that this weekend.

We went crazy with this this year after reading The Life Changing Art of Tidying Up. We got rid of 45 bags/totes of stuff. Most were donated stuff.... toys, clothes, books, household stuff.... lots of garbage as well. We still have 2 totes full of stuff to sell. It amazing how clean I've been able to keep my house.

I read this book in January, and it has really opened my eyes. My goal this year is to be intentional about what I keep and what I throw away. The biggest change I've made so far is is decluttering my clothes and changing my folding process according to the book's instructions.

I'm going to participate in the 40 Bags in 40 Days decluttering challenge beginning Wednesday, and I hope that will give me incentive to be more intentional about cleaning up the junk in the house.

I read this book in January, and it has really opened my eyes. My goal this year is to be intentional about what I keep and what I throw away. The biggest change I've made so far is is decluttering my clothes and changing my folding process according to the book's instructions.

I'm going to participate in the 40 Bags in 40 Days decluttering challenge beginning Wednesday, and I hope that will give me incentive to be more intentional about cleaning up the junk in the house.

What size bags are you using? I put most of my stuff for rummage sale in white kitchen trash bags. But sometimes it can be a small shopping bag or paper bags. Big trash items go in black garbage bags.

My DH and DS20 are cleaning the garage to prep replacing DS's gear box in his truck. I really really hope to convince them to toss stuff as they go. DH is famous for "setting things aside" to go through it later.

Dropped a vacuum off at Goodwill and 6 pair of Levi's my dh stored last year in his closet and thought he would wear. He wanted me to sell them, he thought they were worth money. I told him the pants were old, 20 years old, Levi's over 100 years old are worth money. We cleaned and organized his closet and got rid of shirts too.

I broke a ceramic angel that belongs outside in my basement. I cleaned it up and and threw out a carpet remnant, and a box of Kinex toys along with the broken Angel. Good weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter