• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Designing a Craft/Scrap Space

TPCShauna

<font color=green> Most Cheerful Creativear<br><fo
After 5 months of being in Florida, we've finally found a house that we really like, and will be moving in Sept. 1. One of my requirements for our new space is that I wanted a dedicated craft area for my scrapping, sewing, knitting, and office space. The new house has a "formal" living room just to the right of the entry that I've decided to use as my office/craft room. It has a ton of natural light, and is plenty big. Now I just need help figuring out how to set it up, and "hide" it when we have guests.

Here's the room:
T2221271_801_19.jpg

It measures 14 x 13, but one side of that is open to the foyer. I'm planning to put a folding screen along that side so you won't walk into the house and immediately see a messy scrap space. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to be able to close off the space from view along the wide side, especially since it's directly across from the formal dining room. I'm thinking of trying to hang a heavy duty line and run curtains, but that will remain to be seen.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to set up my space. I have a sewing desk that I figure I'll put along one side, and a 3' x 6' library table that I can use for my scrapping surface. I also have 2 rolling Iris carts full of paper and some theme specific embellies, a 12-drawer rainbow cart for embellies/tools, a 5 drawer white rolling cart with more tools/embellies, and multiple totes full of swap items, scrapbooks, stamp sets, etc. Of course, I haven't mentioned the three totes full of knitting/crochet supplies and yarn, or all of my general craft items like my jewelry supplies, embroidery, etc.

DH and I looked at some drafting tables at Ikea that I really like that I've considered instead of the library table, but the size would be the same. Unfortunately, I don't think I could fit any of the rolling carts under the library table because I think it is too low and they are too tall. In my old scrap space, I had baskets on top of the carts holding my colored cardstock folders so I might do that again.

What I'm trying to figure out the most is storage. Any ideas for what to put my ribbon boxes, swap items, various embellie cases, etc. on or in? I didn't know if I should try to do a wall of shelving on one whole side of the space with the table and desk along the other two sides. Or course, I have to be able to hide it all so I have to remember that restriction. I'd also like to use some of the space under the table, but I have to be able to access it easily.

Any ideas? TIA!!

Instead of trying to run a line for the curtains, which will surely sag, use hospital curtain track & mount it to the ceiling. A lot of design shows use it. I might be dreaming, but I think I just saw something similar in the IKEA catalog, can't think where else I might have seen it, as its the only catalog I've been working with lately as I do my room.

Google "hospital curtain track" or "drapery ceiling track" and you'll find all the items needed for sure. I was googling images & seems maybe even Home Depot carries it.

Then obvioulsy sew your own panels using fabric of your choice. :)

Hey Shauna - has it been 5 months since we all welcomed you to the East coast? OK, we cheered you when you got your job, and now we get to encourage you more as you move into your new home!! Way to go! :cool1:
As for decorating - consider where you want areas placed...all together, or separate sections. What kinds of cabinets, shelves will each necessitate or will they be shared? Lots to consider.
Best of luck to you both!! Keep us updated on your progress. Caroline

Oh decorating is fun! :) I am in the midst of updating my scrapping furniture right now actually, so I figured I would let you know what my idea is for a desk.

Have you ever seen the Project Table from Pottery Barn? This would be my ideal work surface, with it being counter height and tons of storage on the sides. However, the price is scary! So I hopped on Google and found a DIY version here using ClosetMaid shelves from Target. Much easier on the wallet! And I would think 36 inches high would be tall enough to slide your rolling carts under. And you can make it any length you want. So perhaps this is a possibility for your general crafting desk? I would place it smack dab in the middle, with an awesome rug underneath.

On the large wall I would get a shelving unit... perhaps the Expedit or Besta units from Ikea. Both are deep enough to store 12x12 albums. Whats nice about the Besta units are the shelves are adjustable. These are what I currently have, and I love them. I could show you pictures if you would like.

On the smaller wall I would put your sewing desk, as the project table would be too tall for that! Then perhaps a nice wall mounted thread organizer right above it.

This would leave the window wall completely open to allow all that awesome light in. Perhaps you could throw a comfy chair and side table there, so someone can keep you company while you craft! That's one other nice thing about the project table, someone can pull up a stool across from you and work there as well if needed.

That just leaves purchasing an awesome privacy screen to block off part of the area. World Market and Pier 1 have an excellent selection. I wouldn't put up curtains. Your ceilings look high (but perhaps they aren't and the photo lies to me!) and that would require a lot of fabric.

And because I have nothing else to do tonight, I even made some pictures for you to help visualize. That's the way I roll... visually. :rotfl:

room1d.jpg

room2l.jpg

Well that was fun! :)

Shauna here is the rail system we are going to use in the boys room to divide the space

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30115113

My favorite piece that we bought from Ikea was the Besta cabinets. They hold a lot, including cropper hoppers and they have doors so things are hidden.

besta: ( I think this is what I used) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102132

door: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70178580

Copy of the thread with pics of my room
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602901

One of my favorite things to do is look through the scrapbook.com gallery (link below) of scrapbook rooms and dream of having space to create my own scrap heaven :goodvibes Some of the rooms amazing, others not so much. Still a great resource to get ideas.

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/scraproom/0/1.html

This website lets you look at people's scrapbook space and you can do a gallery search of scraproom only that will allow you to see what others do for ribbon storage, storage, desks, etc. I even looked up curtain and selected only scraproom, and there were lot of people with curtain ideas to hide their scrap space.

Congrats on your new home and great space!!

ETA: This is one of my favorite rooms that I look at constantly : ) http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?m=image&id=3274463&type=scraproom&f=1&start=40 If my scraproom looked like this, I wouldn't even worry about a privacy curtain.

My scrap space is in my formal living room as well. My husband has half for office stuff, and I have the other half for scrap stuff. It is isn't beautiful, and I wish it wasn't so open for all to see. We will eventually put french doors there, but for now it is open for the everyone to see : ) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2636030&highlight=scrap+space

I used Effektiv cabinets from IKEA. Standing & wall. People have made standing work tables from them as well.

And I used their butcher block countertop as my desk.

Its a craft / office / spare bedroom. As my DH is deployed & I've had to do it all myself with help as I can find it, it's still a work in progress. Today, I put away 4 months worth of paperwork. I should have some room to make some cards this week now. LOL

Finding more work space just gave me more room to clutter up. ROFL

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2676556

Instead of trying to run a line for the curtains, which will surely sag, use hospital curtain track & mount it to the ceiling. A lot of design shows use it. I might be dreaming, but I think I just saw something similar in the IKEA catalog, can't think where else I might have seen it, as its the only catalog I've been working with lately as I do my room.

Google "hospital curtain track" or "drapery ceiling track" and you'll find all the items needed for sure. I was googling images & seems maybe even Home Depot carries it.

Then obvioulsy sew your own panels using fabric of your choice. :)

That is a FANTASTIC idea! I mentioned it to DH, and he didn't completely dismiss it so it just might work. He was concerned that the ceiling is on a slight angle in that area, but we'll definitely look into it. Thanks!!!!

Hey Shauna - has it been 5 months since we all welcomed you to the East coast? OK, we cheered you when you got your job, and now we get to encourage you more as you move into your new home!! Way to go! :cool1:
As for decorating - consider where you want areas placed...all together, or separate sections. What kinds of cabinets, shelves will each necessitate or will they be shared? Lots to consider.
Best of luck to you both!! Keep us updated on your progress. Caroline

I know it's hard to believe it's been 5 months for other people, but it has felt like 5 years for us. It has been the most enormous adjustment. It's almost been like moving to a different country rather than a different coast. Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. You brought up some great questions. Thanks!

Oh decorating is fun! :) I am in the midst of updating my scrapping furniture right now actually, so I figured I would let you know what my idea is for a desk.

Have you ever seen the Project Table from Pottery Barn? This would be my ideal work surface, with it being counter height and tons of storage on the sides. However, the price is scary! So I hopped on Google and found a DIY version here using ClosetMaid shelves from Target. Much easier on the wallet! And I would think 36 inches high would be tall enough to slide your rolling carts under. And you can make it any length you want. So perhaps this is a possibility for your general crafting desk? I would place it smack dab in the middle, with an awesome rug underneath.

On the large wall I would get a shelving unit... perhaps the Expedit or Besta units from Ikea. Both are deep enough to store 12x12 albums. Whats nice about the Besta units are the shelves are adjustable. These are what I currently have, and I love them. I could show you pictures if you would like.

On the smaller wall I would put your sewing desk, as the project table would be too tall for that! Then perhaps a nice wall mounted thread organizer right above it.

This would leave the window wall completely open to allow all that awesome light in. Perhaps you could throw a comfy chair and side table there, so someone can keep you company while you craft! That's one other nice thing about the project table, someone can pull up a stool across from you and work there as well if needed.

That just leaves purchasing an awesome privacy screen to block off part of the area. World Market and Pier 1 have an excellent selection. I wouldn't put up curtains. Your ceilings look high (but perhaps they aren't and the photo lies to me!) and that would require a lot of fabric.

And because I have nothing else to do tonight, I even made some pictures for you to help visualize. That's the way I roll... visually. :rotfl:

room1d.jpg

room2l.jpg

Well that was fun! :)

Thank you so much! You have fantastic ideas! I should have done a better job of describing the space I'm in. The front door is actually to the right of that space, right where the sun is shining in. That door on the left goes to the Master Bedroom. You're right that the ceiling is kind of high there, but I definitely need to be able to close off the entire area since the floor plan is so open and you can see that space from every point in the house.

I have been totally thinking about those Expedit shelves, but will check out the Besta system also. I was worried they weren't deep enough for albums, so thanks for sharing that they are. I'm for sure going to look at that project desk also. That might work for a cutting table as well which would be super cool.

And thanks for that diagram. I never thought about putting my workspace in the center, and I see that I probably really do have enough room to do that if I want to.

Shauna here is the rail system we are going to use in the boys room to divide the space

My favorite piece that we bought from Ikea was the Besta cabinets. They hold a lot, including cropper hoppers and they have doors so things are hidden.

besta: ( I think this is what I used) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102132

First off, your room is fantastic! If I could stand while I scrap, I would totally do that island thing you have going. It would be so fantastic to cut fabric on AND scrap on. Unfortunately, I can't stand for long periods because of my knee and hip. I need a space that I can sit at.

Thanks for sharing the link to the rail system. That is a good option as well.

One of my favorite things to do is look through the scrapbook.com gallery (link below) of scrapbook rooms and dream of having space to create my own scrap heaven :goodvibes Some of the rooms amazing, others not so much. Still a great resource to get ideas.

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/scraproom/0/1.html

This website lets you look at people's scrapbook space and you can do a gallery search of scraproom only that will allow you to see what others do for ribbon storage, storage, desks, etc. I even looked up curtain and selected only scraproom, and there were lot of people with curtain ideas to hide their scrap space.

Congrats on your new home and great space!!

ETA: This is one of my favorite rooms that I look at constantly : ) http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?m=image&id=3274463&type=scraproom&f=1&start=40 If my scraproom looked like this, I wouldn't even worry about a privacy curtain.

My scrap space is in my formal living room as well. My husband has half for office stuff, and I have the other half for scrap stuff. It is isn't beautiful, and I wish it wasn't so open for all to see. We will eventually put french doors there, but for now it is open for the everyone to see : ) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2636030&highlight=scrap+space

Thank you SOOOOO much for sharing that link. I was just thinking I wished there was a gallery of pics of scraprooms online somewhere. I'm going to be spending a ton of time on there pulling ideas! And yes, that room is gorgeous. I would love to have an amazing space like that. It's nice that your DH is sharing his office with you. Fortunately, my DH doesn't need nor want any office space so it's all mine. :woohoo:

I've already found an idea from the gallery that I'm totally stealing!

101_1196_1.jpg

Isn't this great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks again for all the great ideas. This was hugely helpful!

I used Effektiv cabinets from IKEA. Standing & wall. People have made standing work tables from them as well.

And I used their butcher block countertop as my desk.

Its a craft / office / spare bedroom. As my DH is deployed & I've had to do it all myself with help as I can find it, it's still a work in progress. Today, I put away 4 months worth of paperwork. I should have some room to make some cards this week now. LOL

Finding more work space just gave me more room to clutter up. ROFL

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2676556

My CMC Upline has that entire system in her scraproom/office, and I LOVE it! I think it's a little more cabinety than I want for my space, but I think it's very cool if it works for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So as I've been looking at the Expedit system on Ikea, and I LOVE this piece:

expedit-bookcase__0092716_PE229439_S4.JPG

I wondering if this would work on the wall next to the front door. Most of it would go along the wall along my craft space, but I would have it extend out just enough to work as a divider. I was thinking I could hang fabric on the side facing the entry, and could use it as storage on the other side.

Do you think that would work? It would be cool, if so.

Hey, Shauna

I was just thinking about you, and wondering how you were settling in. Someone on 2Peas just asked about using an Expedit as a room divider, and I was reminded about how someone had altered theirs.

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/gal...-expedit-shelves-with-magnets-and-frames/?c=t

This person just has a couple of frames, but I think I remember someone posting a pic to theirs and they had attached a frame over all of the openings on one side. You could use some pretty paper, and it could end up looking a bit like an Asian screen which uses both wood and paper.

Also, with that space and a tile floor, I can just see a rolling chair that you could scoot around the room collecting the things you need to do your projects. Don't know if there is enough space to have the workspace in the center, or if you would have to put it under the window or something.

After, having the fun of designing my own space and still finding out what works and what doesn't, I urge you to really think about how you scrap. What are your go-to things, and making sure they are easily accessible. For me, this is paper, adhesives, swap pieces and ribbon. And recognizing that your old storage options may not be the best choice in your new space. You need to just ignore how much you spent on them, and get what works now. I love my Jetmax cubes, and my bookshelf. But my rolling carts, just don't work for me anymore, so I am trying to use up stuff, so that I can get rid of them.

Shauna, I love the expedit stuff, they are great because they hold 12x12 albums. You could totally hang fabric off one side.
I had looked into the Expedit for my room but I really wanted to hang the Paris pic and I needed room for the Office center and the Expedit was to long.

And I hear you on the standing, I can't stand for long periods either so on the back side of my center table I use a tall stool. However, that unit is actually 2 pieces (from the kitchen dept). you could use that one piece with the drawers as a side board if you have a lot of little things.

The Glis boxes http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20047450 fit really nicely in there, 9 in a drawer. And the spice jars http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40064702 fit well too. I think I have at least 20 in one drawer, I'll have to count when we get home this weekend.

what a great space for you Shauna...congrats on the house!

love all the ideas being posted!
I got my desks and storage drawers from the Container store, the drawers are metal mesh so you can see whats inside them.

My scrap area is a tiny corner of my living room -- I envy those of you with a room. My next apartment is definitely going to have a craft space.

I just bought a 4x2 Expedit unit with a desk on Craigslist; in fact, it arrived yesterday! I have a lot of those white 13x13 storage cubes from Michaels plus some plastic storage bins, and I wanted something neater. I need to make another trip to Ikea to buy a 2x2 Expedit for a printer stand and some boxes.

I've been in a decluttering mood lately. I already gave 6 boxes to Goodwill.

I second using the Expedit unit as a divider. I had it my scrapbook room as a wall unit but it would make a great room divider.

Here are some pics of my room :

http://maureenmckay.shutterfly.com/3754

I finished my room this past winter but moved a few weeks, while all of my things are still in boxes, the good news is that my room will be much larger which means I will be making another trip back to ikea for more storage!

I just can't wait until I get my new room completed so I can feel settled.

Congrats on the space it's HUGE! Mine orignal design help is on the organize you space from last year butttt it got a redo tonight. It ended up as the second choice design from that thread.

I have the same issues though sewing area, scrap area and office space. The sewing area and my new shelf (waited 4 months for it) is what brought this around.

I too think the expidit would make a great room divider. It would still allow light to filter though and there are so many ways to cover some of the cubes from 1 side that you wouldn't want to see through.

They have taller desk chairs like bar stool height but on wheels like a normal office chair. I used one at an old job that my computer was counter height, it lowered enough that I could use it at the regular desk too.

Have fun designing it and moving in!

I second using the Expedit unit as a divider. I had it my scrapbook room as a wall unit but it would make a great room divider.

I finished my room this past winter but moved a few weeks, while all of my things are still in boxes, the good news is that my room will be much larger which means I will be making another trip back to ikea for more storage!

Nice!! I practically drooled on my computer screen!

what did you use for the bottom part of your work tabletop? did you build it? I am almost done having my room completed but DH still has to make a work table top in the middle of the room.

Wait, you moved and had to leave this space behind?? :sad1::sad1: It's so beautiful! I remember when you finished it. Love the color. Love the chandelier. Love the whole peaceful thing.

HOpe you recreate it well in your new home. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter