Deluxe vs. Value

That's a tough one ... I have stayed at all three levels value, moderate and deluxe. I don't do the values any longer just because I like a little more pools with slides amenities etc.... What about a compromise POFQ is moderate and has more of deluxe feel it's not huge ( only 1 bus stop) and the price is good probably comparable to A o A . So 3 times a year with a moderate .. Just a suggestion .

The important part you mentioned is that you don't spend much time in your room, so 3 times a year at a Value is what I think you should do.

We NEVER stayed in our room except to shower and sleep. We would be gone from 7AM until past midnight usually each day. If your planning is like that, then value is fine.

With 4 trips staying at Pop and too many rope drops to closing to count behind me, I am planning my next trip with more time in the resort and less in the parks, so we are switching to the Grand Floridian.

give it a try i guess and see how you feel. There is NO WAY you could pay me to stay at a value resort. I understand that many people like them and I'm glad they do. however if you're looking for opinions.....mine is 2x a year at deluxe.

We found the move from Deluxe to Value to be a big change at AMu. If I did value again I would only do POP; we haven't done AoA yet. I'd go Deluxe twice a year....location, theme, crowds and all that "deluxe" feel would make my decision for me. I haven't run the numbers, but I don't think moderate pricing 3x per year would be equivalent to deluxe 2x per year.

Not enough of a handicap for me I would do deluxe. Now Moderate for 3 trips I would do vs deluxe.

We have stayed at Deluxe (Yacht Club) or a like resort that is considered deluxe in size (Swan and Shades of Green) and once at a value. Hated the value. We are going at Christmas this year and my kids asked if we might consider AoA over Wilderness Lodge. I posted a thread asking for opinions and didn't get but 1 or 2 replies. :confused3 So we made the decision based on what we know and decided to go with the deluxe resort (Wilderness Lodge). The value was full of kids running around with no adult supervision, the busses were off the charts crowded, the bathroom was musty smelling and the room was too small. We have loved all our stays at the other resorts. My kids would say 3 visits at a value but my husband and I would say 2 visits at a deluxe.

I know this is probably a no brainer since but here is my question.

We have always stayed at deluxe resorts (Poly and GF). We normally go twice a year (one 10 day trip and one 4-5 day trip). Due to the construction at Poly we decided to stay elsewhere in October. Since this trip is to celebrate DD birthday we let her pick the resort. She picked AoA due to the character themed areas. Based on the cost savings I figured if we start staying in value resorts we can go 3 times a year instead of 2. We don't spend a lot of time in the room however we have gotten spoiled to the monorail to MK and Epcot.

If you could go twice a year at deluxe resorts or 3 times a year at value which would you choose?

Agreed, OP, it is a no brainer to me too. :goodvibes

I won't be one to argue that Deluxes aren't amazing, but I love Disney's Value Resorts. Truly. I think they are all pretty nice. Of course, some of the rooms are smaller than the small rooms at deluxes, but you can see that on the website and judge for yourself what size room(s) you would need. AoA is very nice.

We do values & mods and therefore go more than twice a year. Actually, we go usually 4 times a year. You do save much more $$$ doing values and mods once in a while.

We have stayed at 2 Values, 2 Mods and 2 Deluxe.
Given a choice, we would go Deluxe. Our kids are older and bigger and enjoy more space and down time at the resort. That being said, we had a few financial curveballs this year and we are just back from a 9 day stay at POP. We had a fabulous time. BUT we knew this trip was going to be all about the Parks...So we did very much enjoy the resort and had a fantastic vacation.
THAT being said, we are all very much looking forward to staying at a Deluxe in April. :)

ETA: Even though we enjoy our Value Resort stays, I wouldn't want to do them 3 times a year. I would much prefer a Deluxe...twice a year would be heaven for me !!!- we do it once a year.

We have stayed deluxe every time but one trip, when we stayed moderate, and we detested the moderate resort. I agree with the poster who said they could stay value, but wouldn't enjoy being there. That's how I felt about being at a moderate resort. It felt like a motel. So, I would go twice a year and stay deluxe. But I guess unless you stay value, you'll never know... I like to feel like I am on vacation, and the deluxes, although not as ritzy as a Four Seasons or Ritz, still feel like beautiful resorts with tons of amenities. Plus the deluxe resorts give you much better eating choices- they all have QS and TS restaurants. I think deluxe is especially important if you plan on spending a day at the pool or doing the activities at the resort. If it's in your budget, GO DELUXE! :)

Praying for warm weather in early December so we can enjoy the GF pool and just relax one day!

We also have small children, so we DO spend time in the room at nap time and in the evening. We just aren't at that stage where you are at the parks for 12 hours straight. But even when we did WDW as a couple, we still enjoyed downtime at our deluxe resort!

give it a try i guess and see how you feel. There is NO WAY you could pay me to stay at a value resort. I understand that many people like them and I'm glad they do. however if you're looking for opinions.....mine is 2x a year at deluxe.

I love this quote, and ITA. I have actually used the same verbiage to my husband... "You couldn't pay me......."

I would actually rather stay off property and rent a car than stay at a value resort. The food court sole food option alone is enough for me to say no.

I love this quote, and ITA. I have actually used the same verbiage to my husband... "You couldn't pay me......."

I would actually rather stay off property and rent a car than stay at a value resort. The food court sole food option alone is enough for me to say no.

Seriously????:confused3 :confused3Why would you go off property and totally lose the magic....& driving too, this is one of the blessings with staying on property.....Not having to drive to n fro.

Values aren't that bad.....Its Disney, remember that & values do scream Happiness for sure. They just don't offer what mods & deluxes offer.....

But Off property vs. value is a totally different question, & I'm sure if polled , on here, the vast majority would disagree with you....... To each (his or her) own I know, but I know for sure I'll never stay off property ever again...Toooo much Disney Magic would be Lost...:rolleyes1

Seriously????:confused3 :confused3Why would you go off property and totally lose the magic....& driving too, this is one of the blessings with staying on property.....Not having to drive to n fro.

Values aren't that bad.....Its Disney, remember that & values do scream Happiness for sure. They just don't offer what mods & deluxes offer.....

But Off property vs. value is a totally different question, & I'm sure if polled , on here, the vast majority would disagree with you....... To each (his or her) own I know, but I know for sure I'll never stay off property ever again...Toooo much Disney Magic would be Lost...:rolleyes1

LOL. I say that, but I'm not sure if I'd actually go through with it! ;) My husband has mentioned staying off property because you get a bigger room etc etc and I kind of start hyperventilating. We had a car at WDW last February (we traveled with my in-laws and my FIL despises Disney buses) while staying at WL, and it was great for getting to Epcot and AK. But, yeah, I would probably prefer to stay at the Waldorf Astoria for not much more than a moderate......

My point was simply in my opinion, twice a year at a deluxe beats three times of year at a value, to answer the OP question...... Didn't mean to get the thread off track!

Well here's the thing- some people, including the poster you quoted, myself, and several of the PPs just don't like the value resorts. Disney or not. Not our cup of tea. Not the type of magic we want. Not where we want to spend our money. Definitely not where we want to rest our weary head at the end of the day. So we stay at mod or deluxe resorts.

HOWEVER, if our only option was a value resort or staying off site, there would be a lot of people giving up the 180+10 in favor of a much better resort than what the values have to offer. It is only too easy on this forum to forget that the majority of WDW park visitors don't actually stay on site. By preference.

As you said - to each their own. It is simply a matter of personal preference and individual differing priorities.

1. See how you like your first visit. It will be very revealing. You might have double the fun or you might hate it.
2. It's OK to mix and match, in my opinion. Want to have quick cheap getaway - book value. Want to travel in the off season and relax at the pool more - deluxe with a discount is the way to go.
3. One thing that was not addressed here is the location. If you have small kids, it makes sense to stay close to the parks. See if taking the bus back and forth works for you.

Well here's the thing- some people, including the poster you quoted, myself, and several of the PPs just don't like the value resorts. Disney or not. Not our cup of tea. Not the type of magic we want. Not where we want to spend our money. Definitely not where we want to rest our weary head at the end of the day. So we stay at mod or deluxe resorts.

HOWEVER, if our only option was a value resort or staying off site, there would be a lot of people giving up the 180+10 in favor of a much better resort than what the values have to offer. It is only too easy on this forum to forget that the majority of WDW park visitors don't actually stay on site. By preference.

As you said - to each their own. It is simply a matter of personal preference and individual differing priorities.

Thanks, Minnie Mum. Exactly! :)

I spent one night at POP and honestly the only way I would stay there again is if it was free, and then I would still hate it. So there are some of us that feel that way. We may be in the minority, but yeah I'm one that would stay offsite in a heartbeat if I couldn't afford at least a moderate. I really don't like the mods that much either so it's pretty much deluxe or a different vacation for us.

I don't know what most on this site would say, you may very well be right. Personally though, I would not visit at all if my only choice was value. In my opinion (and for those that disagree and enjoy values great!) but in my opinion there is no disney magic there. not the kind i look for. I'd just skip the trip.

My personal opinion is that you couldn't pay me to stay at one of the value resorts. In addition I would never pay money to stay somewhere that I describe as "not that bad".

For those that enjoy values I would in no way discourage you from staying there. However, they are not for me or my family.

so to OP again - if you think you'll enjoy AOA or at least feel committed to it because of your daughter - check it out and decide for yourself. :)

I spent one night at POP and honestly the only way I would stay there again is if it was free, and then I would still hate it. So there are some of us that feel that way. We may be in the minority, but yeah I'm one that would stay offsite in a heartbeat if I couldn't afford at least a moderate. I really don't like the mods that much either so it's pretty much deluxe or a different vacation for us.

agreed. I'm glad there are so many resorts for people to enjoy but for us it is deluxe. if we couldn't afford deluxe for some reason we'd skip the trip.

agreed. I'm glad there are so many resorts for people to enjoy but for us it is deluxe. if we couldn't afford deluxe for some reason we'd skip the trip.

We have been to WDW 9 times all deluxe, My kids are tweens now and actually prefer Universal. I would love to go back to WDW during food and wine, but only deluxe and only at a deep discount. There are too many interesting places in the world to visit that cost less than WDW. I love cruising that's kind of my passion at the moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter