• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Deluxe Resorts A Little Out Of Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDW is expensive? Wow, had no idea!

Sorry for the snark, but all these threads big for the same response. Price for Deluxe is neither too expensive or a bargain. It is simply the price.

Same for park tickets, flights, restaurants, Micky ears, spa services, or bottled water.

Deluxe rates are laughable for what you get. Obviously people pay it, so they can get away with charging those rates. I say this as someone who has stayed deluxe every trip, but on a discount. It's Disney, so it is what it is, but yes.... the rates are ridiculous. We paid less than $700 per night at the Four Seasons Maui for an ocean front room. Now THAT was totally worth it.

It is not just deluxe Disney resorts if you compare moderates and values vs the real world well Disney just inflated prices.

I'll bet honest we love Disney, but we have hit the point were we are just over it. Inflated prices + meh customer service + repetitive experience+ nickel and dimming have us running the other way. Perhaps getting AP overdid it for us or just the much better experience we have been having at other vacation destinations.

When Disneyland open the "Disney" experience and customer service was unique new way. The industry saw how well it work and well everyone try to jump in the band wagon. Disney standard have fallen but not everyone else.

I think Disney as whole is a little out of control. After our AP expire I don't think we will be going to Disney in a long time and if we consider going back I think we will pick the four season that has a much superior customer service and rooms for about the same price and it is a true "deluxe" not a Disney deluxe.

I will pay deluxe prices when I can get a good discount. I've ruled out CL the last couple of times because the premium just makes it more than I want to spend. If I think prices are too high I book POFQ.

I really can't believe the prices for some of the rooms. Really crazy.

No reason to pay rack rates. Just use the travel agent that many on these boards use and you can get 55% off at the Deluxe properties. Last time I went in 2014 the Poly was $189 per night. I just got a quote for next August and the price was very low again. Less than half of what Disney was charging for the same room.

About 3 years ago we stayed at BC CL for our first deluxe experience. It was a splurge because we hadn't taken a yearly vacation for a few years and did nothing for our 10th anniversary the prior year. But we got it with a discount for about $300 a night. At that rate it was well worth it. There were 6 of us staying in one room (3 adults and 3 kids) so we all used it for breakfast, snacks, drinks to the park, apps and dessert many evenings and alcohol as well. That combined with the walking distance to Epcot and HS and the Boardwalk area in general and I thought it was well worth it. I couldn't ever see us paying rack rate for it though. But I'm fundamentally opposed to paying full price for just about anything, lol.

As for comparing mods and values to the rest of the hotel world I don't think they are really that far off. Maybe rack rates, but we mostly stay at Hampton Inns or other Hilton hotels and I'd say the nightly rate just about everywhere we go ranges from $89-$169 ($89 is usually less touristy areas or completely off peak seasons). We just paid $150 a night (w/discount) at CBR and with that we are onsite with transportation, have a way cooler pool, a food court, nightly movies w/ marshmallow roasting, a view of the fireworks and the other perks that come along with staying onsite like EMH, FP+ at 60 days, etc. Values would be even less with different amenities but still things I wouldn't get at Hampton Inn. You do get a rather non appetizing free continental breakfast at Hampton Inn, but not all of the Hilton resorts offer this.

We stayed at one of the suites in Lancaster, PA using points, but the nightly rate for that was $249, not far off from the suites at Disney values.

After having babies, we found the convenience to the parks worth the splurge for deluxe. We have never paid rack rate, though, finding deals and being flexible with travel dates. Our first stay with 1 toddler at CR was magical - and at a great rate under $300. We've managed to stay deluxe at CR, BLT, GF, BWV through a bit of luck and jumping on good deals and renting points ... the LV room at GF was the only one over $400/nt. Having a hotel with lots of amenities on site and, for CR/BLT being a short walk to MK, gave us a lot of options when one parent had "grownup time" while the kids were napping in the room with the other parent.

Since our youngest is only 1, we are considering buying DVC for the very reasons everyone posted above. The oldest one is now in kindergarten so we aren't going to be able to take our trips during low season. So our trips are going to get a lot more expensive unless we either go to moderates or values, or go DVC.

I am paying around $285 a night for a pool view room at the AKL in February. It's too much money, but in order to get my adult daughter to go, I had to invest in a deluxe. I wish I could have rented points, but that is just not for me, just yet.

Next year though, only my 12 year old might go and we might look into a room at Pop!

I'm at the point where I just want a clean room as I'm on vacation to get out and enjoy - not the grounds. As I get older my preference might change.

Aulani was different as the grounds were the vacation - and I was very happy to pay that price.

The deluxe resorts now have a lot more competition then in the past to contend with. I'd never thought I'd say that any Four Seasons resort would be a recommendation in the price department, or a bargain, however that is the case now, and the last time I checked it was a five star resort. All deluxes are four.

Many now choose to stay off site at resorts like this which has shed a light on the incredibly high prices. However until the demand changes or wains ar Disney properties, you'll won't see much of a change.

I never pay rack rates. Agree, the prices are way out of control, not only at deluxe, but moderates too. $200/night for a moderate room with no closet and a clothes rod in the bathroom :sad2:.
I love the deluxe and mods, but it really has gotten out of control.
This is the first time I don't have an AP, and not going to Wdw until Dec 2017. We usually go in Jan. And August. This year doing neither. We went last August, but not this Jan or Aug.

No reason to pay rack rates. Just use the travel agent that many on these boards use and you can get 55% off at the Deluxe properties. Last time I went in 2014 the Poly was $189 per night. I just got a quote for next August and the price was very low again. Less than half of what Disney was charging for the same room.
You only see those prices end of August/first week September. Also they don't have discounts for everything all the time. It is very specific depending on your time frame.

I always used to stay at Deluxe resorts, and always got a good discount. The last time I stayed at the BWI, even with a discount, it was $300 a night, just for my DD and me. It was totally not worth it, and we stayed a couple of times at Pop after that. We enjoyed it more at Pop honestly! It didn't feel like we were throwing money away.

We did rent from an owner at AKL Kidani last spring break, though, and it was a very good rate (I think I paid $2,000 for the week for a one bedroom with two bathrooms, and it was all four of us so we had a bit more space). I didn't care for Kidani, though. The bus service was not as great, and I enjoy quick service food, so getting to the Mara was a total pain. Not interested in staying there again.

I doubt I'll stay at a Disney deluxe resort again, unless it's a very, very special trip. Now that my daughter is going to college next year, this coming spring break may be our last trip for a long time. We're booked at All Star Sports (again, just the two of us). It's still not cheap, even with a very tiny discount.

I'd love to go back to the Grand Floridian some day, but it's so not worth what they charge.

You only see those prices end of August/first week September. Also they don't have discounts for everything all the time. It is very specific depending on your time frame.

I was wondering about this. Every time I see someone post a crazy cheap price for a deluxe it seems to be August. A time of year I won't step foot near the state of Florida unfortunately as the heat and humidity completely ruin the experience for me. Bummer.

I was wondering about this. Every time I see someone post a crazy cheap price for a deluxe it seems to be August. A time of year I won't step foot near the state of Florida unfortunately as the heat and humidity completely ruin the experience for me. Bummer.
They do have some good prices other times of year, but you have to call for every date as the resorts/room categories are so specific. And they are never as good as that Labor Day exclusive.

I actually like going very late August! The crowds are very low, I get a good deal, and it's not as hot as late June or all of July (times that I don't go there).

We bought into DVC after staying in the deluxe levels a couple of times. We love the subtle theming and the indoor hallways. Plus the pools are so much better. Also the stress of not hunting for hotel discounts is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter