• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Deluxe Dining Plan All-Male Revue...er, we mean Review **Updated w/Tutto Italia 7/6

Jiko - the Cooking Place... or the Spilling Place... or the Chatting Place... or the Disappearing Place. Regardless - the Pretty Awesome Place!

Our long first day was starting to come to a close. We spent the afternoon exploring Animal Kingdom - from Dinosaur to the Nemo show - and decided around 5 or 6 that we were exhausted, so we headed back to the hotel. A quick sidebar about the Animal Kingdom Lodge: it's beautiful! I'm sad to admit that I didn't ever really explore the place - all those afternoons later in the trip that we "headed back early" turned into Langbein passed out in the room while Evinrude explored. Oh well! :confused3

But back to Jiko. Our reservation was for 8:50 and we arrived right on time. We were asked to wait in the very-small bar area while our table was prepared, and in under 5 minutes we were brought to our table. The table was nice - right on the window overlooking the walkway to the pool. The restaurant itself was fairly empty
(to make a sweeping generalization, the two credit restaurants we went too were never full) - probably less than 10 tables full. I guess that's a typical Sunday night during that time of year? We had imagined that because it's vacation, it would be full every night. Our waitress (who shall remain nameless, (geez, Langbein, you make it sound like Voldemort was our server) for reasons you'll see as you keep reading) came over, introduced herself, and was incredibly friendly. She brought us our delicious diet cokes fairly quickly and had some tasty bread, as well.

IMG_0027.jpg

I'm not sure what the different types of bread were... but they were good! The butter that came with it (was it macadamia butter?)
(I'm pretty sure that it wasn't macadamia...but maybe...I AM sure that it was SOME kind of special butter) took it to the next level. YUM!

Our waitress came back, we asked a few questions, and it was off on that great adventure called ordering. Evinrude started with the mussels.

The menu called it: Prince Edward Island Mussels with White Wine Cream, Roasted Garlic, Dill and Cinnamon Raisin Baguette

IMG_0032.jpg

The mussels were a little bit of a detour for me. I've had mussels before, but it's definitely not a go-to dish for me. But, Voldemort suggested them saying they were amazing, so I gave them a shot. And she wasn't kidding! Maybe the best appetizer of the trip...wowza! The mussels were cooked perfectly, but it was really the white wine cream sauce that was to DIE for. In fact, after I finished the mussels, I had our server bring me a spoon, and I finished the sauce like it was soup. I know, I know...how uncouth am I?!?!? I would hands down order this dish again. It was rich in flavors, the baguette croutons were really good. Just a super dish, and yet again, a HUGE portion. Yum!
I tried the mussels and thought they were AMAZING! DELICIOUS!

I ordered the barbecue chicken flatbread.

Barbecue Chicken Flatbread - Served with grilled onion, apple, African barbecue sauce, and four cheeses

IMG_0030.jpg

I thought the flatbread was pretty delicious. It was a huge serving - once again - but I managed to get it all down. The apple provided a nice crisp refreshing aftertaste to the barbecue chicken and cheese combination. I'd order this again. I'd probably order the mussels that Evinrude got first, though! I tried the flat bread and just thought it was fine. Didn't knock my socks off.

Oh - I should mention that I asked our waitress to help pair some wines to my courses. I don't remember the pairings, but here's a picture of the glass she brought with my appetizer. She was pretty good at these pairings - she admitted that in her spare time she was a sommelier. I really enjoyed my wines!

IMG_0028.jpg

The comment earlier about not naming her comes a little bit from my not being able to remember the pairings. We asked, near the end of the meal, if she'd bring us a copy of the menu for us to take with us. She was happy to do so, and said she'd write the pairings on it so we remembered. She disappeared for about 20 minutes, came back without a menu, and said she'd be back in a minute with it. Another long absence went by and again she came back without a menu to help another table. At that point, we gave up, told her it was fine, not a big deal, and got up to leave. As we walked out, we easily asked the hostess for a menu and she happily obliged - just sans pairings. To be fair to the waitress, she did tell us several times throughout the meal that she was a terrible waitress. In general, we thought she was fantastic, so we kept saying that we didn't believe her. Maybe she was being honest! :rotfl2:

Evinrude got a cocktail with his appetizer.

IMG_0029.jpg

It was basically a cosmo, but it had some name like "Wandering through a South African Village on a moderately warm summer night". It was delish.

Evinrude ordered the roasted Lamb loin. It's described as Roasted Lamb Loin with Herbed Couscous, Figs, Sun-dried Cherries, and Red Curry Sauce.

IMG_0033.jpg

I thought this dish was really delicious. The lamb was cooked perfectly and was very flavorful, and not gamey like I can sometimes find lamb to be. It was very tender and I really enjoyed every bite. I especially loved the couscous. I have become a big fan of fruit in things like salads and rice lately, and this was just perfect. The sweetness of the figs and cherries with the savory lamb and couscous was just a great pairing. The red curry sauce was very unobtrusive. I am NOT at all a curry fan, but somehow this was not offensive. As you can probably tell, I didn't eat much of it, but I don't think it was the highlight of the dish. The lamb and couscous was perfect just as it was. I would definitely recommend this dish without reservation.

IMG_0035.jpg

I ordered the short ribs, described as Barbecue Beef Short Ribs with Roasted Yukon Gold Potato Salad and Onion-Garlic Sauce. I substituted the potato salad out for the Goat Cheese Mashed Potatotes.

IMG_0034.jpg

I'm going to start with those goat cheese mashed potatoes. They were out of this world DELICIOUS! If I could have mashed potatoes that tasted like that every day... I would change my diet to include ONLY mashed potatoes. Mmm... I'm craving them now, just writing about them and looking at the picture. The short ribs, on the other hand, were not as good. They tasted fine, but were really fatty and difficult to cut. Not my favorite dish. I didn't finish them.

IMG_0037.jpg

Another waitress story: she brought out my second pairing, along with one to go with Evinrude's main course. As she was getting read to pour, she completed dropped a bottle of wine and almost the entire bottle spilled on the floor by our table. She didn't seem fazed, cleaned it up, and brought out a new bottle.

On to the desserts. By this time I was pretty full. A full three course lunch, along with this large dinner was having its effect on my stomach and I debated (for only a second) whether a dessert was in my future. Have no fear... it was!

Evinrude ordered the Pistachio Creme Brulee - With a Chocolate Layered Bottom.

IMG_0038.jpg

OK, this was seriously yummy. I usually never quite understand the big to-do with Creme Bulee, but let me tell you this was just delicious...seriously delicious!!! You can see how excited I was to try it. I ate part of it without taking a pic, and then tried to reposition the biscotti to hide the missing portion. hee hee! The creme was just perfectly flavored, and having the chocolate on the bottom was just awesome. Even if you don't normally love Creme Brulee per se, I would highly recommend this dish. It was light but delectable!

I also ordered some AMAZING vanilla tea. If you've never had vanilla tea before I highly recommend giving it a shot. It's yummy and flavorful, but not too rich. A nice companion to the Creme Brulee.

I decided to try something different than my norm (and hopefully lighter) and went with the House-Made Meyer Lemon Curd - Served with pomegranate and blueberry compote, white chocolate biscotti, and sour cream ice cream.

IMG_0040.jpg

(If you're playing food detective, you'll not that Langbein ALSO couldn't keep himself from trying his dessert pre-pic...see the dirty spoon? see it?) This curd dish was pretty good. I'm not a huge lemon fan, but really wanted something light, and this was it. I didn't make it through the whole thing (I told you - I was REALLY full!), but it was a nice refreshing way to end my meal. A bit too sweet for my taste, but overall pretty good.

In general, we really enjoyed Jiko. It wasn't the best meal of the trip, at least for me, but definitely was "up there" as a good one. The food, overall, was very tasty, and the service was fairly good (with the exception of the end disappearing acts). By the time we left, there were only one or two other tables left, so it felt like we were closing the place. I don't remember exact times, but I seem to remember that we finished our desserts by 10:30ish, but didn't end up actually walking out until well after 11. That's a long time for a waitress to disappear! Despite that, I really liked our waitress... and I'm not one to usually let something like that slide. She was personable and friendly, and that's what did it for me. And hey - we were on vacation... no rush, right?

I thought this was a great meal. And I really enjoyed the restaurant; the decor is really attractive. In retrospect, and you may think this is odd, I didn't love the ambience mainly because the place was practically empty. I mean I like a quiet meal and all, but part of what's fun about eating out, in particular at WDW, is being part of an experience. I love people watching and tray watching....seeing what other people are eating which we just didn't experience. Granted we were eating really late, but by halfway through our meal there was only like 3 or 4 other tables occupied. Just felt odd and a little deserted. I dunno, just my gut reaction.

I forgot that we were going to post financial info so here goes: Our total bill (not counting booze and tip) came to: 127.74 (this of course was all covered under the dining plan - 2 credits). Our alcohol plus tax was 53.53 and our tip was 34, so our total OOP was 87.53.

Another exciting day was coming up tomorrow, as we went to bed dreaming about the rope drop at Epcot just a few hours away...

I forgot to post our bill total at YAY so:

Our meal total (covered by DDP) was 92.92. Our only OOP was $20 for tip.

Very nice Jiko review! I really enjoyed Voldemort as your server. :laughing:

I haven't been there in a while (other than the wine dinner I went to in October), but I have been perfectly happy making a meal from a couple of appetizers.

And I didn't chime in on cilantro. For me, it works best used sparingly. I put it in my guacamole, but in such a small dose that those who hate cilantro don't object to it. And I'm not a big fan of "curry", either. I think it depends on how heavy handed the seasonings are.

Maybe it's because I'm born and raised so. cal., but I LOVE cilantro. I could eat it by it's self and I have. Yum.

Great update! :)

I love your writing style guys, really makes me laugh. :)

Jiko looked great, always one of my favorite places to visit. Looking forward to going back.

Maybe it's because I'm born and raised so. cal., but I LOVE cilantro. I could eat it by it's self and I have. Yum.

And this is really important because I do not, by any means, have any intention of wiping out the cilantro industry with my comments. So you go on girl!! Get down with you bad cilantro-loving self. You keeping eating bunches of cilantro and you may single-handedly keep the cilantro folks in business.

11 pages and only 2 food reviews guys you are torturing us!!!!!!!!!!! More please!

:cloud9:

Paula, I am sorry we're slow to post. We really are churning 'em out as fast as possible. The good news (for me) is I just bought my first home and I move in a week and a half, so I'm busy with final paperwork and lots of packing. The bad news (for y'all) is that I do have to focus on this move. Thanks for your patience.

i've been dying to try jiko! and i LOVE lamb so that meal looks absolutely stunning :) great review!

DG, you totally need to try it. It's a great restaurant and the lamb was super yummy. Thanks for your feedback!

Great update! :)

I love your writing style guys, really makes me laugh. :)

I'm so glad, Torsie. We'll keep doing our best to keep a smile on your face.

Fabulous!

Just like you, Mrs. S!

popcorn:: joining in popcorn::

Welcome MiaBella!

STAY TUNED EVERYONE. Tutto Italia will be up tomorrow!!!

Tutto Italia - More Thrills and Spills

So, yes, the next day we were at Epcot, first in line at our turnstile. And we were there at the rope for rope drop. We highly recommend this experience. Yes, you have to get up early, and yes, you have to wait around a bit, but it was totally worth it. So worth it that we ended up doing it again several times on the trip. Almost every day, actually...!
Here's Epcot empty, as we stood at the turnstiles waiting:

IMG_0041.jpg

So we didn't have a ADR for breakfast that morning, so after getting FP for Soarin' and hitting Test Track, and I think Mission: Space, we headed back over to the Land Pavilion and grabbed a bit to eat at Sunshine Seasons. We used some snack credits to get a little breakfast. To be perfectly honest, when looking at my options for breakfast using snack credits, I was kinda disappointed. Nothing really jumped out at me. Agreed! Lame options, pretty much everywhere we went. So eventually, I just decided to have a cinnamon roll:

IMG_0042.jpg

It was...well...a cinnamon roll. Nothin' to write home about. It was fine. I guess it hit the spot. Just nothing special.

Langbein had a chocolate croissant.

IMG_0043.jpg

Like Evinrude's cinnamon roll, my croissant was.... a croissant. It was fine. It had chocolate in it. It gave me some sustenance while we were waiting for lunch.

Then off to more Epcot fun until lunch at Tutto Italia.

We arrived at Tutto Italia right on time, and the reception area was EMPTY. Totally empty. We checked in with the hostesses (there were two of them) and they said it would be just a couple of minutes....which felt pretty odd, since there was no one there and there were two of them checking people in. So the four of us just kinda stood around looking at each other. I might even go so far as to call it... awk-weird. The worst kind of awkward, because it's weird, too! Finally, a gentleman showed up and we were shown to our seat. We had a lovely table in the back corner by the window. Our server was named Fernando...a handsome Italian fellow who was very friendly. Really excellent service here...well, with one big hitch. You'll see.

We were brought a lovely assortment of breads with olive oil and some olives. Neither of us are olive fans, though we do enjoy its oil :). All of the bread was really excellent. YUM. Nice and fresh assortment here - great start!

IMG_0044.jpg

For an appetizer I had the Prosciutto di Parma, served with melon:

IMG_0046.jpg

OK, so as you can see when it arrived I was like, "This prosciutto looks amazing. But that's the melon? Really? A melon rose in the middle of the plate? I mean c'mon the prosciutto is the expensive part. They could spring for more melon?!?!?" That was until I had a piece of prosciutto and discovered that below all that lovely italian ham was a beautiful arrangment of beautifully sliced melon. Yes...below the prosciutto the plate is covered in melon. Whew! So this was really good. I mean it was really, really tasty. I find an appetizer like this lite and refreshing, so if that's your thing, I highly recommend it.

Langbein had the eggplant parmigiana:

IMG_0045.jpg

The eggplant was delish. A fairly typical eggplant parmigiana dish, but well executed, like everything at Tutto Italia. Nicely golden fried eggplant, fresh sauce, and fresh cheese. A true italian specialty!

I should mention that all the while the refills of Diet Coke were flowing big time. LOVE THAT! But more on that later...

For my entree I had the Casarecci.

IMG_0047.jpg

It was the Casarecci pasta with a light tomato sauce, sweet Italian sausage and pecorino romano cheese on top. I really liked this dish. It was just perfectly seasoned. I loved the saltiness of the cheese with the sweet sausage. The pasta was cooked perfectly. I seriously loved this. So much so I could have had it twice. That's right TWICE. Now, wait, wait...it's coming....
I tried the Casarecci and it was fantastic. Evinrude's description is right on the money - I wished I had ordered it myself (though I enjoyed my dish, too... read on!)

Langbein had the chicken cutlet milanese with baby arugula salad and heirloom tomatoes

IMG_0048.jpg

This milanese was A+. Nicely pounded, freshly fried in a tasty breadcrumb mixture. The salad on top was fresh and crisp and delicious. The only problem? This thing was HUGE. I'm talking entire plate of just one piece of chicken huge. And the salad was piled on high. Can you imagine eating two of these things? Me neither (read on!). I really enjoyed the taste - it would have been better with a little of Evinrude's pasta thrown on top, though :rotfl2

So remember how I said there was a hitch? So then, remember how I said the free refills were flowing? Remember how I said I could have had my dish twice? Well, after we were about half done with our entrees, the refills ended up flowing all over our food, our table, and us. Yes, this was our second table service in a row with some major spillage. The difference was this time the server's assistant, a really sweet gal, brought a tray of refills and water and proceeded to spill it all over our table, all over our entrees and of course it was dripping off of the table...into my bag. Woo-hoo!!! So, of course, really this wasn't that big of a deal. I mean it wasn't like she did it on purpose. And after all, she's only human. But Fernando was NOT pleased. From what we could see, it seemed like she was getting in trouble with him and with the manager. She came back to clean up some more and we kept assuring her not to worry about it, but nothing we could say would put her at ease. She was totally mortified. Beyond mortified - it almost seemed like it was a "last straw" type of situation, where something like this might have happened before, and this was going to be that final thing that got her sent back to Italy or something. We really didn't care about it happening... it's vacation! Of course, Fernando brought us brand new entrees. Well, by now, we had already at least half-finished our dish and then we got to start all over again. It was still yummy for me the second time around. Me too! Just another huge serving, so I barely made it through a quarter of this one. Felt bad wasting food... The manager came over also, and we assured him that everything was fine. (Not for nothing though, he didn't offer us anything for the inconvenience. I mean on the DxDP I don't know what he could have offered, but...well, whatever.) We also found it funny that pretty much everyone we encountered at Tutto Italia was Italian... and then the manager comes over with his nametag saying he's from Duluth, Minnesota (or somewhere equally "American"). Just made us laugh.

A side note about our waitress (that may come up in a post about a few days from now, if I forget that I already said it here): We went on the Backstage Magic tour, spending 7 hours wandering the backstage areas of Disney (hardly wandering, but we'll go into that more later). At one point we were in the building that all of the Epcot cast members changed, took breaks, etc. It was the morning, and lots of cast members were heading into the park to get to their assigned locations. As we're standing listening to our tour guides, who should bump into me but our lovely klutz of a waitress from Tutto Italia! I laughed and said hello, she seemed mortified and just kept running - probably not even putting two and two together and realizing I was the customer whose table she spilled on just a few days earlier. Evinrude didn't believe me when I told him this story (he was in the bathroom or something when this happened), but I swear it's true!

Here are the second versions of our main courses.

IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg

For dessert I had the Chocolate Torta, a chocolate and hazelnut torte with whipped cream and raspberry sauce. I don't love super rich chocolate desserts, so I asked Fernando if it was very rich. He said yes. So I said I thought would have the fruit tart. He talked me out of it and said I should get the torta, so I did. Well, P.S., it's not rich. Maybe a language miscommunication. Anyway, I really liked this dessert. It was rather light, just enough chocolate to hit the spot, beautifully balanced with the whipped cream and the hazelnut mousse.

IMG_0054.jpg

Langbein had the Mocha Tiramisu

IMG_0053.jpg

The tiramisu was pretty tasty. Light and fresh and yum! Not much to say about it, except order it!

All in all, I was really pleased with my meal here. It was not the most adventurous meal, but still excellent quality. No, it wasn't especially original, but what they did, they did really well. I would definitely eat here again (though I might put my poncho on next time) and might even order that pasta dish again.

I was also pretty pleased with this meal. Fresh and delicious through and through. Great service (even with the mishap) and pleasant atmosphere. Felt slightly removed from the World because it's set so far back from the showcase walkway... so it was nice and quiet. This is the one restaurant I'd been to at Epcot before (many times), and it lived up to what I remembered!

Before tip, the cost came to $104.37, all covered by DxDP. Our tip was 19.60 OOP.

Next up...Le Cellier for dinner!

So glad you guys loved Tutto again! We're eating there twice when we go. Hmm...I really shouldnt read these before I have breakfast...i'm starving!

Loved your review of Tutto. Can't wait to try it in August. Those desserts both looked amazing!:thumbsup2

Awesome review and pics of Tutto! Dh had the pasta dish with the sausage back in Oct and it was incredible, I wished I had ordered it too!

I cannot wait to eat there again, the best food!

Great food reviews!!!! Can't wait to eat at Tutto Italia this September!!
Bring on the reviews!!!!:banana::banana:

For dessert I had the Chocolate Torta, a chocolate and hazelnut torte with whipped cream and raspberry sauce. I don't love super rich chocolate desserts, so I asked Fernando if it was very rich. He said yes. So I said I thought would have the fruit tart. He talked me out of it and said I should get the torta, so I did. Well, P.S., it's not rich. Maybe a language miscommunication. Anyway, I really liked this dessert. It was rather light, just enough chocolate to hit the spot, beautifully balanced with the whipped cream and the hazelnut mousse.

I don't speak Italian, but in Spanish when you say a food is rico (literally 'rich' in the money sense) that means it's delicious. (I don't know if there's a real translation for "rich" in the food sense in Spanish ... I think you'd have to say "very sweet" or "very heavy" or whatever.) So maybe Italian is the same way and he thought you were asking if it was any good, so that's why he said yes!

Thanks for the updating. Love reading your detail reviews and thanks for including pictures. Sorry about your mishaps...thank goodness you did not let it bother your vacation. Can't wait to read more.

Thanks for your Tutto Italia review. That is my first dinner ADR at WDW. :)

Between this review and MickeyNicki's review, I'm really jonesing for some Tutto Italia pasta. I felt bad about the spillage mishap, but then you somehow became Hobbits with Second Lunch. :laughing:

And FWIW, what's wrong with cinnamon rolls and chocolate croissants? Those are food groups unto themselves. Breakfast of champions. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter