Delta changed my return flight to 5 hours earlier

McFlea

Mouseketeer
Just need to vent. Delta just changed my return flight in August from 6:45 PM to 1:00 PM. I realize I booked flights 7 months early (I've booked further in advance than that and not had this issue), but this is a pretty big change. This is a shorter than usual trip for us and I was planning to use the time on our departure day to visit a park before heading to MCO - 6:45 was perfect. Now that won't happen. Not happy! It is a non-stop to BOS, there are no other non-stops scheduled for that day. I suppose I could switch to a later flight with a stop, but I'd rather not pay the same fare when I originally had non-stop. Any suggestions on how to use this change to my advantage?

Look on line for any flight that will suit you. Call, explain to them what happened, and have it changed. They typically will do it without fuss.

There is no way they will give you a discount, so I wouldn't even look for it. Is the flight you originally booked gone, or is it still there?

Delta will change you to any other flight you wish that day at no extra charge. Just look on line at their schedule and select a flight(s) that will work better for you and then give them a call.

Just one caution, your flights might change yet again by August. Delta's rule is that the flight needs to have changed by an hour before they will allow you to swap flights without charge. If you pick a better flight now and then find out in, say May, that a non-stop flight has been inserted you might not be able to switch again.

I guess I'm suggesting that you don't do anything right now unless there's really a good flight for you. Instead, wait a few months to see what the schedule looks like. Weekends are not usually a good time to look at Delta flight schedules as thats when they put their schedule changes into the system. You may find on Monday that a non-stop has shown up.

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I agree, doing nothing for right now is the way to go. I'll keep an eye on it.

They have messed with ours as well except it is for our arrival flights. We were scheduled to leave SGF at 5:45 and land at MCO at 11:28PM. Now they moved us to leave at 1:50 and land at 10:32 I think. Problem is DH works that morning until 1:00 and the airport is 45 minutes away. They no longer have any later flights on that day so this will be impossible. We just bought our tickets last weekend. What is strange is that flight both from SPG and the one from ATL to MCO are only missing from that one day within a 2 week period both directions (yes I went and check each day). Doens't that sound odd? Could they still be messing with the schedules today and those later flights might still show up? Is there any hope for a refund since they moved our flight by more than 4 hours and we are not able to make the flight now? I am about sick right now over this.

They have messed with ours as well except it is for our arrival flights. We were scheduled to leave SGF at 5:45 and land at MCO at 11:28PM. Now they moved us to leave at 1:50 and land at 10:32 I think. Problem is DH works that morning until 1:00 and the airport is 45 minutes away. They no longer have any later flights on that day so this will be impossible. We just bought our tickets last weekend. What is strange is that flight both from SPG and the one from ATL to MCO are only missing from that one day within a 2 week period both directions (yes I went and check each day). Doens't that sound odd? Could they still be messing with the schedules today and those later flights might still show up? Is there any hope for a refund since they moved our flight by more than 4 hours and we are not able to make the flight now? I am about sick right now over this.
I was in the airline industry for 15 years and saw this all the time. Call Delta and see what they can do. If you don't like what they offer you demand that you want a refund. Ask for a supervisor if need be. PM me if you need more help.

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I agree, doing nothing for right now is the way to go. I'll keep an eye on it.

I would only do nothing if none of the other flights work for you. If one does, I would grab it before it is gone.

Even if you're not going to make a change now OP, do not accept the change if that's an option on the site. (Can't recall if it is on delta)

If they can't get an option that works yes they'll refund.

Don't call or touch anything until you are ready to make a re-change (found alternate flights you would like) or are ready to ask for a refund and complete cancellation.

You don't want some glitch to cause the changed flights you have now to become accepted.

Last edited:
Just need to vent. Delta just changed my return flight in August from 6:45 PM to 1:00 PM. I realize I booked flights 7 months early (I've booked further in advance than that and not had this issue), but this is a pretty big change. This is a shorter than usual trip for us and I was planning to use the time on our departure day to visit a park before heading to MCO - 6:45 was perfect. Now that won't happen. Not happy! It is a non-stop to BOS, there are no other non-stops scheduled for that day. I suppose I could switch to a later flight with a stop, but I'd rather not pay the same fare when I originally had non-stop. Any suggestions on how to use this change to my advantage?

If there is any Delta flight that you'd rather have, call and ask to be put on that one instead. If not, request to cancel, and start looking around for a new flight...you've got plenty of time, so even if prices aren't great right now, I'd still cancel. I'd be really annoyed about them changing it that much too.

Delta did that to us with a December flight from Boston last month. Changed by over 5 hours and was the only nonstop that day. I had no problem getting a refund from them, just a quick phone call. Make sure when you call you know what you want to change it to or if you want a refund, they will only change it once for free.

As the OPs have said, do not click on "accept" if they have that, don't even try to assign seats for the new flight that you might want to change or refund. Any action on your part implies acceptance of the change.

Delta typically changes something with my flight to MCO at least a couple of times,
almost every trip. Whatever you end up doing, keep a close eye on your flight reservation.

Hope the OP @McFlea checks the schedule again. I just did a quick search on Delta.com for flights between MCO and BOS on a couple of random dates and the 6:45 pm non-stop is still there.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I just checked the schedule, and they have the 6:45 non-stop for Sunday, but not Saturday. And there is not really any other flights (non-stop or otherwise) later on Saturday that work for me. Cancelling is tempting, but I got what I consider a very good price of $199 pp. I've been checking other flights with Delta and several other airlines, but they're all more expensive right now. I don't know if I'm up for taking the chance. Worse case, I change our touring plan. It's a bit disappointing, but I'll focus on the positive - we're going to WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter