Delta American Express free checked bag -- mechanics?

Sandi

A proud Spartans fan.
I now have the Delta American Express and used it to purchase our August flights to WDW. I understand that we are each entitled to one checked bag with no fee due to that method of payment. How does this work? When I do on-line check in for our flights, it will ask how many bags we're checking -- is there something in Delta's computer system that knows I don't have to pay or is there a trick? Also, we'll use RAC at Pop. Typically I call RAC in advance and give them a cc # for the bags. Will that also "be in the system?"

Probably dumb questions, but this is one of the primary reasons I got the card.

Thanks!

I now have the Delta American Express and used it to purchase our August flights to WDW. I understand that we are each entitled to one checked bag with no fee due to that method of payment. How does this work? When I do on-line check in for our flights, it will ask how many bags we're checking -- is there something in Delta's computer system that knows I don't have to pay or is there a trick? Also, we'll use RAC at Pop. Typically I call RAC in advance and give them a cc # for the bags. Will that also "be in the system?"

Probably dumb questions, but this is one of the primary reasons I got the card.

Thanks!

I can answer half of this as long as you have your skymiles number linked to the flights you purchased then when you go to check in online it will show one free bag for each member for your travel party automatically. Not sure how if works with Magical Express on the way home with resort check in but I am curious about that as well.

Thanks Tinkerbelle. I do have my skymiles linked to the ressie, so it looks like we're good going out.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on the RAC/ME part coming home.

When you get your letter from ME the day before you fly home, it won't say anything about your free baggage, just gives you the phone # to call in payment. Ignore it, except for your pick up time.

When you check into RAC they will pull up your res in their computer just as they would at the airport. They will see that Delta is allowing the free checked bags and will record that on a sheet they keep for waived payments. I've done it a few times, never a problem. Payments get waived for first class, the Delta AmEx program, all sorts of airline allowed reasons. But they have to see that in the airline record.

BUT if the RAC computer system is down (rarely happens, but ya never know) RAC will have no way to know about your free bags. In that case see if another resort can check you in. We were at YC years ago and this happened, the RAC CM just called over to BC and they issued our BPs and bag tags there, and were nice enough to walk them over to YC. Or you can take your bags with you on the ME bus and check them with Delta at the airport. We've only had the RAC computer outage once in all the time they've been running ME and we go to WDW a few times a year.

We fly Continental and have the Continental credit card that also allows us 1 free bag. We just show the credit card to the RAC employees and the fee is waived. We have done it several times and have never had a problem.

I have the Delta AmEx as well. As shoes99 said, RAC typically will ask to see the credit card to verify that you do have it. It's always been very easy!

I suggest bringing your Delta AmEx card with you. I didn't bring mine and RAC had to call Delta to verify that I qualified for 1 free check-in luggage.

I used it last year. When RAC pulled up my reservation, they saw on my record that the first piece was free for me and my friend. No problem! I've never had to show my card anywhere when checking luggage.

By the way - you don't have to use the card to pay for your ticket to get the free luggage. I've paid with my corporate VISA and got the free luggage. Any ticket that has your skymiles # on it will qualify and any person who is on your reservation will get it (up to 8 people?).

By the way - you don't have to use the card to pay for your ticket to get the free luggage. I've paid with my corporate VISA and got the free luggage. Any ticket that has your skymiles # on it will qualify and any person who is on your reservation will get it (up to 8 people?).

I did not know that. I was under the impression that you had to purchase the flights with the card. Thanks for the information.

Thanks to everyone else, too. I'll bring my Amex along in case it will help. Good to know what to do with the ME letter the day before, too -- nothing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter