• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Decoding Food Allergy Menu

amylevan

DIS Veteran
I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, so I may in fact be overthinking this. But I’m struggling yall.

We’re visiting USF for the first time in over 10 years, and staying on property for the first time ever. So I’m trying to get a handle on what/where my egg allergy DD will be able to eat (and where she’d prefer….)

I’ve been directed to look at the menus in the app. Most of the ones that I’ve looked at have a bunch of codes, including ES which is defined at the bottom as “egg sensitive”. But is that supposed to mean that the ones that have ES next to them are safe for egg allergy? Or are they menu items that have egg and are not safe? Because it looks like menu items that have egg listed as an ingredient do not have ES after them, which leads to me to believe that an ES signalizes they are safe. But that seems backwards to me, being that the code says “Egg Sensitive”.

Yes, I intend to add a note to all online orders and talk to chefs/waiters. But we like to be able to give her some options before we head to a certain restaurant. Because it sucks when her options aren’t appealing. Preparing her for her options is the best way we have dealt with let downs of not being able to eat things. Knowledge is power for her.

So help?

Yes, it means safe for the sensitivity noted - in the same way they use GS for gluten sensitive and VG for vegan - the menu item meets the requirements for that dietary restriction.

Honestly, as a family with health and allergy issues, my advice is don't go by the menus at all. You can use them as a guideline, but make sure to speak with waiters and chefs if possible.

How Universal handles food allergies is one area where Universal is far behind Disney and honestly gets a fail from us.

1) Menus do not seem to accurately match what waiters and chefs say at actual restaurants. Many times there are additional safe items not listed or meals that can be modified.

2) Allergy knowledge among wait staff and at different venues varies greatly.

3) Universal claims foods are safe if you are sensitive, not allergic. That's why the menus say "Egg Sensitive" "Gluten Sensitive" etc. It's a legal way for them to seem like they are accommodating allergies without actually having to make sure there is no cross contamination or exposure. They aren't saying this item is safe if you are allergic to eggs. They are saying it should be safe if you are sensitive to eggs, so please be aware of that.

We've had very mixed experiences over the years.

Reactions: AJA

100% speak to the staff when you are at the restaurant. My husband’s allergy is shellfish (one of the easiest anaphylactic allergies to manage) admittedly it’s easier to avoid shellfish than say eggs or peanuts but we have never had any problems at Universal. Anytime we eat anywhere that even just has shrimp available on the menu we have to ask. Universal and City Walk restaurants have always been very accommodating. If we have any questions at all we always ask to speak directly with the chef.

Honestly, as a family with health and allergy issues, my advice is don't go by the menus at all. You can use them as a guideline, but make sure to speak with waiters and chefs if possible.

How Universal handles food allergies is one area where Universal is far behind Disney and honestly gets a fail from us.

1) Menus do not seem to accurately match what waiters and chefs say at actual restaurants. Many times there are additional safe items not listed or meals that can be modified.

3) Universal claims foods are safe if you are sensitive, not allergic. That's why the menus say "Egg Sensitive" "Gluten Sensitive" etc. It's a legal way for them to seem like they are accommodating allergies without actually having to make sure there is no cross contamination or exposure. They aren't saying this item is safe if you are allergic to eggs. They are saying it should be safe if you are sensitive to eggs, so please be aware of that.

Yes to this exactly! If someone has developed a “sensitivity” to a certain ingredient that is very different than an allergy that will send you into anaphylactic shock. We know by the server and the questions they will ask us, for instance “can your food be prepared around anchovies?” “fried in the same oil bin?” etc… how well the server is versed i allergies. We ate at Margaritaville City Walk on Sunday and the server was very competent. She adked pointed questions and made two trips yo ask the chef just to be sure, we were totally comfortable, then yesterday the chef at the new Minions Cafe came to our table to ask questions and let my DH know what he could order.
At Minions Cafe In the app, there is an Allergy option that you will add to your cart, after you check out the chef should come to your table to speak with you.

Yes to this exactly! If someone has developed a “sensitivity” to a certain ingredient that is very different than an allergy that will send you into anaphylactic shock. We know by the server and the questions they will ask us, for instance “can your food be prepared around anchovies?” “fried in the same oil bin?” etc… how well the server is versed i allergies. We ate at Margaritaville City Walk on Sunday and the server was very competent. She adked pointed questions and made two trips yo ask the chef just to be sure, we were totally comfortable, then yesterday the chef at the new Minions Cafe came to our table to ask questions and let my DH know what he could order.
At Minions Cafe In the app, there is an Allergy option that you will add to your cart, after you check out the chef should come to your table to speak with you.

We`ve had the same service at Margaritaville, they were brilliant and the chefs do come out usually to check on everything. Glad you had the same experiences.

We and friends/relatives who have kids/grandkids with serious allergies have always had excellent experiences at Universal, never had any problems and the only place we ever had someone not sure was at Bubba Gumps, but we`ll never eat there again anyway.

Universal gets a bad name at times for not being as good as Disney in different areas, but we`ve been very impressed with our experiences over the many years we`ve been visiting as have folks we know.

If in doubt, ask very nicely to speak to the chef if you have concerns, they`ll be happy to chat and reassure you.

Reactions: AJA

Yes, agree last trip best experience at Margarittaville, worst at CowFish. CowFish made me a little nervous.

Yes, agree last trip best experience at Margarittaville, worst at CowFish. CowFish made me a little nervous.

Funny enough, my best experience for allergies was Cowfish. But they told me to make a lunch reservation vs a dinner one, b/c they get overwhelmed at dinner, so it's harder for them to handle all their regular plus allergy orders.

In fact, it was a true all trip that CityWalk was the best place for lunch...and in park was the best place for dinners b/c that is when both are slower...and slower means folks can not be rushed or overwhelmed handling special needs.

Funny enough, my best experience for allergies was Cowfish. But they told me to make a lunch reservation vs a dinner one, b/c they get overwhelmed at dinner, so it's harder for them to handle all their regular plus allergy orders.

In fact, it was a true all trip that CityWalk was the best place for lunch...and in park was the best place for dinners b/c that is when both are slower...and slower means folks can not be rushed or overwhelmed handling special needs.

That might have been my issue. Most of the places we ate except for Margarittaville it was dinner. Cowfish was completely swamped. We sat with empty glasses for most of the meal.

Our best experience ever was at Confisco years ago. The cheff came to the table and made a custom meal for my sister because there wasn't one thing on the entire menu that she could eat. She was really sick and on this crazy medical diet back then.

Not sure if anyone saw this article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/nyu-doctor-dies-dining-disney-175014430.html

"A doctor from New York University died shortly after she ate at one of Disney’s restaurants in Florida — and her bereaved husband is blaming negligent staffers, according to a lawsuit...The staff at the pub insisted they were able to make allergen-free food, after Tangsuan checked multiple times, the suit said. Tangsuan ordered broccoli and corn fritter, scallops and onion rings. After dinner, Tangsuan left the restaurant to explore the shopping complex when she began feeling sick. She entered Planet Hollywood, where she experienced severe difficulty breathing and collapsed. Though an epi-pen was immediately administered to her, she ultimately died at a local hospital, the lawsuit said."

Not sure if anyone saw this article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/nyu-doctor-dies-dining-disney-175014430.html

"A doctor from New York University died shortly after she ate at one of Disney’s restaurants in Florida — and her bereaved husband is blaming negligent staffers, according to a lawsuit...The staff at the pub insisted they were able to make allergen-free food, after Tangsuan checked multiple times, the suit said. Tangsuan ordered broccoli and corn fritter, scallops and onion rings. After dinner, Tangsuan left the restaurant to explore the shopping complex when she began feeling sick. She entered Planet Hollywood, where she experienced severe difficulty breathing and collapsed. Though an epi-pen was immediately administered to her, she ultimately died at a local hospital, the lawsuit said."

Oh goodness that is truly awful to read!

That poor woman, she obviously thought she had done everything possible and they still failed her. It certainly highlights that allergy sufferers have genuine concerns eating out anywhere!

I wonder if the chef was involved in the conversations or just wait staff.

Oh goodness that is truly awful to read!

That poor woman, she obviously thought she had done everything possible and they still failed her. It certainly highlights that allergy sufferers have genuine concerns eating out anywhere!

I wonder if the chef was involved in the conversations or just wait staff.
It was bound to happen. We have had severe pushbacks (by waiters) post pandemic from popular restaurants to not talk to or get the chef even with severe allergies. The two recent places were CRT and Space220 where the waitress would go back to the kitchen and come back but we could tell she had not spoken with the chef at all (wouldn’t bring the order we had placed with the chef but just kept removing things from an item on the menu). This was despite having filled and submitted allergy forms a week+ in advance. I penned a letter to the chef (Space220) who apologized and said he had our order ready and was waiting but thought we didn’t check in. This happened twice!!!! (second time waitress refused to get the chef even after we showed the email and asked for him by name). The waitress at CRT was condescending and constantly talked down restating the menu despite us telling her we already ordered with the chef. She kept saying ‘this is what we have..’; I calmly said ‘we understand but we’ve already spoken to the chef..’. During the second course the Chef (was a substitute so overwhelmed) came and apologized but the mood was completely ruined and we didn’t order the extras we planned.

Our kid’s allergies are in the 80s to things like dairy and nuts and even 10-20 would send you into anaphylaxis. For years we’ve felt safe at WDW but they’ve just gotten complacent (had 2 reactions over 10 years pre pandemic - BOG (accidentally touching butter) and Satu li (waiter stating chocolate cake had no nuts when it had hazelnuts). We had a reaction aboard DCL last year (thankfully mild and it was hazelnuts so stomach cramps and we administered Benadryl quickly) and a special order cake (GF bakery new team gave a wrong cake flavor that had nuts - violent visible stomach cramps and vomiting - per new allergist we should have used the AuviQ).

I believe the problem is understaffing, overworking existing staff and lack of training. The other problem is that people who have mild sensitivities or just food preferences are overwhelming waiters so they become relaxed and I’ve often gotten a smirk when asking for something vegan. I’ve had to explain it’s a life threatening allergy (not a choice). Many people order gluten free but don’t fill out special diets forms beforehand so the cruises routinely run out of allergy friendly food. Disney should be able to plan better and accommodate everyone but with all their cost saving outlook vs customer service it’s no wonder this has happened.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter